Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cat Face Joe posted:

I was afraid of this.

Yep. Removing that amount of work is pretty much why getting an airbrush is a godsend. You still need to do it hand paint it for smaller areas and pieces, so at least it's less tedious, but anyone would go insane having to do that for larger vehicular areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I just saw this on the GW site and thought it may be handy here - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/11/13/the-model-photo-how-to-photograph-models-for-display/ (probably old news but I don't remember seeing it before)

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Chill la Chill posted:

Yep. Removing that amount of work is pretty much why getting an airbrush is a godsend. You still need to do it hand paint it for smaller areas and pieces, so at least it's less tedious, but anyone would go insane having to do that for larger vehicular areas.

Yeah, in this case it's terrain. I want to give it some depth and I know an airbrush is the way to go but I only play Infinity, don't paint much as it is, and I need to work on my brush basics before I go whole hog on some new tool my wife will question the need for.

on the other hand, I do have use for a decent air compressor and brush wouldn't be that much more

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I recently started thinning my paints with GW's Lahmia Medium instead of water, and I really like it a lot. What is the best source for an equivalent product?

I have also started switching over to the Scale 75 paints as well, and they have been great for the most part.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Just buy a box big tub of Liquitex fluid matte medium.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I have also started switching over to the Scale 75 paints as well, and they have been great for the most part.

God drat they are so good! I am loving Scale 75.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

I just saw this on the GW site and thought it may be handy here - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/11/13/the-model-photo-how-to-photograph-models-for-display/ (probably old news but I don't remember seeing it before)

And look at that, no distracting cloud filters.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I recently started thinning my paints with GW's Lahmia Medium instead of water, and I really like it a lot. What is the best source for an equivalent product?

There isn't really, I've not found anything like Lahmian. Liquitex is fine but it needs a bit of thinning itself with water to get the same consistency as Lahmian, and Lahmian is ultra matte, Liquitex matte medium is still quite glossy compared to paints thinned with water.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
Seconding this. I haven't found anything that compares with Lahmian Medium.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

More photography talk.

I want to get myself a small photo booth, but which type should I go for? The is the new kind of hard, translucent plastic:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...0308.0.0.GJPWjo

and the older fabric version:

I plan to throw away whatever crap LEDs they come with, and install some high quality LED bands in them in any case.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
More of a modeling question but I'm working on a new Kraken (wmh) model and I wanted to put some seaweed on it. Problem is I'm not really sure how to do it. A quick Google gave some ideas of using garbage bag ties, easter grass+pva, toilet paper in pva and paint, or rolled greenstuff. Figured you guys may have some ideas.

lokipunk fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 28, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

lokipunk posted:

More of a modeling question but I'm working on a new Kraken (wmh) model and I wanted to put some seaweed on it. Problem is I'm not really sure how to do it. A quick Google gave some ideas of using garbage bag ties, easter grass+pva, or rolled greenstuff. Figured you guys may have some ideas.

Garbage bag ties actually sound really perfect to me. Nice flat surface (some even come in green) and a center support so you can bend and shape them and they'll hold position.

Get a few of them and kinda bend them around to create a bush or frond of seaweed, and then paint them so part of them are brighter than other parts, so they look like the water is reflecting off them or something.

Or wait, is this underwater seaweed or like above water? It has a very different appearance.

If you want like beached seaweed, then go with something like easter grass. Easter grass would be a little too bright though, you'd have to dye or paint it somehow. Beached seaweed should be really dark green.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
It's to hang off of the kraken's joints. Thematically they drop them off the side of pirate ships for raids.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
You could go to a local pet store and buy a handful of those plastic aquarium plants. They should be about the right color, too.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Beep. Boop. Comply.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1MHfA5v3Co[/youtube]

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Those are great! What did you use for the skin?

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

HardCoil posted:

More photography talk.

I want to get myself a small photo booth, but which type should I go for? The is the new kind of hard, translucent plastic:

and the older fabric version:

I plan to throw away whatever crap LEDs they come with, and install some high quality LED bands in them in any case.

I have that same light box, just a different brand, that uses 2 of those LED strips. You can search this thread for how my images turn out. For a super cheap no work light box it's great. I've had mine for 2 or 3 years now and if you fold it up after each use the folds will eventually start to crack and if you leave it open all the time the sides with magnets will eventually start to warp.

But overall would recommend it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Thought this dude was carrying a sweet guitar for a second. "Thank you, Omnicron 71-DX! We've been 'Servitor' - stop by our booth and pick up our CD. Good night!"

They're awesome - the yellow is a real kick in the eyeballs.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Related to nothing,

Minis need to go back in scale. Christ. Do they think everyone has massive tables? Even old D&D minis are like 2/3 the size of modern ones. 15 mm or smaller for playing anything larger than a skirmish level game, please. Where the gently caress am I going to store three "28mm" (heroic) Land Raiders? I can pack an entire force inside one of those.:orks:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I need d&d minis to stay small because most of my generic fantasy stuff won't fit in a mat grid. Otherwise, I like bigger minis because I am bad at paining and enjoy being able to pick out details better.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

SRM posted:

Beep. Boop. Comply.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1MHfA5v3Co[/youtube]

It is a crime you are not an Imperial Fists player.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pvt.Scott posted:

Related to nothing,

Minis need to go back in scale. Christ. Do they think everyone has massive tables? Even old D&D minis are like 2/3 the size of modern ones. 15 mm or smaller for playing anything larger than a skirmish level game, please. Where the gently caress am I going to store three "28mm" (heroic) Land Raiders? I can pack an entire force inside one of those.:orks:

That's more a problem with the size of 40k ballooning up the past decade. It's getting to the point of a company sized game with minis and rules for platoon size. I agree that <=15mm should be the size of that game's minis. I like my 28+ for displaying. And go figure, they're better for platoon games since you can actually appreciate the work that goes into each one compared to a typical 40k game where they die in droves.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Here's a 15 mm mans I painted 5ish years ago.

I was painting them, I want to say, 5 at a time. I had them blu-tacked to large popsicle sticks, so kinda like a very narrow tray. It worked great for handling the multiple small models.The bases are US 1¢ pieces. I am a Federal criminal.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I love this guy every time you post him, and love the camera effect that makes it seem like he's even tinier.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Electric Hobo posted:

Those are great! What did you use for the skin?
Thanks! It was a mix of Bugman's Glow with... I think Dark Reaper for the base color, then I mixed in Cadian Fleshtone and Kislev Flesh for successive layers. I did a recess wash with purple.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Thought this dude was carrying a sweet guitar for a second. "Thank you, Omnicron 71-DX! We've been 'Servitor' - stop by our booth and pick up our CD. Good night!"

They're awesome - the yellow is a real kick in the eyeballs.
"Rock routine 7 2 1 initiated"

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It is a crime you are not an Imperial Fists player.
I did an Imperial Fists army for a commission years and years ago before the current paints; I think I'd have a lot more fun with it now! That yellow is just Averland Sunset > Yriel Yellow edges > Flash Gitz Yellow extreme edges and a Fuegan Orange recess wash, but I'm happy with how it looks.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Would I be able to use my same brush and paints for painting wood?

A buddy of mine is teaching himself whittling / wood carving and wants me to paint his stuff.

I imagine it's fine but I don't know anything about wood. Should I prime it? Clear coat when I'm finished?

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
Just some miniatures that I've painted over the last little while.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Alokgen posted:

I have that same light box, just a different brand, that uses 2 of those LED strips. You can search this thread for how my images turn out. For a super cheap no work light box it's great. I've had mine for 2 or 3 years now and if you fold it up after each use the folds will eventually start to crack and if you leave it open all the time the sides with magnets will eventually start to warp.

But overall would recommend it.

Thanks. Your photos look really good, I'll go with that one. The expensive part is going to be strips of high quality LEDs anyways.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Sab669 posted:

Would I be able to use my same brush and paints for painting wood?

A buddy of mine is teaching himself whittling / wood carving and wants me to paint his stuff.

I imagine it's fine but I don't know anything about wood. Should I prime it? Clear coat when I'm finished?

Prime? Yes. Use your fancy mini paint brushes? No. Even sanded down to a nice smooth finish wood is still rough and will eat your delicate brushes.

If you don't prime first the wood will soak up every bit of color, appear dull and show off every imperfection in the wood. So you'll have to prime, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand again, prime, sand-oh all those nice details are gone. All depending on the size of the model.

The other mini thread here , is probably a better place to ask.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
My first painted mini!

Very little highlighting due to just having the colors in the space marine learn to paint set. And there's so much to improve on, like better thinning to start so I can get a nicer texture.

Also, I thinned with a gloss medium which was a mistake because everything is too loving shiny.

Getting more paints tomorrow and pumped to try again!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Darren MacLennan posted:

Just some miniatures that I've painted over the last little while.

Don't doxx me

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Now I have two jungle ladies, a man and a robot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tentacle Party posted:

You painted those?! They could easily be official Infinity marketing jobs. Like whoa.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Tentacle Party posted:

Yeah, I love these. Excellent work!

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Thanks Bros.

And as for photobooth chat, never underestimate a plastic bin from a $2 store.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Tentacle Party posted:

Thanks Bros.

And as for photobooth chat, never underestimate a plastic bin from a $2 store.

I'm stealing that idea.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Is there a thread-recommended product for Water Effects? I wanna add a couple of pools of water onto this board I'm building.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Art Resin would probably be good.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
looking for suggestions on how to achieve the rusty red GW has on their promethium relay pipes as seen here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I stole a conversion idea I saw online

http://eastern-empire.com/warhammer-quest-dwarf-ranger/

(I made a light box, but the paint is like, super reflective inside it. It kinda fucks with the contrast)

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 30, 2017