Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Samizdata posted:

Can we find a way to work electrical current in there also?

Absolutely. You can make glass go from clear to opaque electrically. It's called PDLC film and it switches with regular household light switches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

Absolutely. You can make glass go from clear to opaque electrically. It's called PDLC film and it switches with regular household light switches.

But what is the potential safety hazard? I want to make the thread proud!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Samizdata posted:

But what is the potential safety hazard? I want to make the thread proud!

everything is a potential safety hazard if you try hard believe in yourself

i realize for DIY this is actually almost literally true

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

everything is a potential safety hazard if you try hard believe in yourself

i realize for DIY this is actually almost literally true

I think I can!

No...

I KNOW I CAN!

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.
I was working at company with multiple facilities here in Finland that made full houses with foundations in one piece, and we would just ship them on trucks to the lot.

We got a house that was on the property for 2 years, and insulation was poo poo in one particular room and house was cold, they picked it up and shipped it back to us.

At this point I should mention they had a "atmospheric" fireplace, that was not meant to warm the house, but give a little ambiance with cozy fire, very common practice.

They tried to use it to warm the house due to issues with cold coming in, so lot of tiles were cracked, metal sheets bending wildly, and we replaced the thing.

The problem with insulation was stupidest thing I've yet to hear in my 5 years of working in construction.

They decided to embed the outdoor switchboard about halfway through the wall

First -30 degrees celsius week came, and cold just rushed in, helped in by less than half the mineral wool required by building standards, and cold metal right against it.

The switchboard was also right next to fireplace, which meant no matter how much they tried to warm up the thing, it would just suck more cold through.

We fixed wall and fireplace, and sold it for less to the next victim (the previous owners got a new house for free of course).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Samizdata posted:

I think I can!

No...

I KNOW I CAN!

DIY&H: "I think you can't, but I'll say you can!"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

DIY&H: "I think you can't, but I'll say you can!"

Look, man, that video on YouTube from x31337xh0m3xh@xx says I can, and who am I to argue with them? Next project? A countertop with a surface made from vintage $5 dollar bills! SO CLASSY!

EDIT: I suck at l33t5p3@k.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Platystemon posted:

You’re right. The master bedroom is elsewhere.

https://streamable.com/2evp2
Those stairs are very short, it's like it's a two story house split over three floors. And one floor is devoted entirely to pooping.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Samizdata posted:

I think I can!

No...

I KNOW I CAN!

:colbert: I believe in you friend. Just remember to wear ppe and pull all necessary permits. Or Else.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Splicer posted:

Those stairs are very short, it's like it's a two story house split over three floors. And one floor is devoted entirely to pooping.
It's a split level home. Pretty common in the Midwest at least. But generally there is no pooping level.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SoundMonkey posted:

So my ex-neighbor (just moved) is tearing down his outbuilding/garage/shitheap and building what is honestly a pretty nice looking barn-roofed... what the gently caress ever. Anyways, so they're tearing down the old thing, and I walk past in the rain one day and the roof is gone and only one wall is left and there's a breaker panel on it.

"Oh man, I hope they have a new one, that's gonna damage it."

Then I walk past the next day and they built a little roof over it, which is still loving outdoors but sure ok fine. Then 2 days later they needed that piece of unsound wood for something else (did I mention this entire thing is reclaimed/lovely wood) so it was exposed again. When a BIG rainstorm happened they threw a tarp over it. Next day they took the tarp off and went for a picnic and it got rained on while they were gone.

I noticed on that day that there were outlets hanging off this thing and loving tools and worklights plugged in. It was live the entire time. I'm sort of glad I don't live next door to him any more although I'm only like 2 houses down still so hopefully the fire department's quick here.

edit: before you get all charitable and think they were really good about turning the breaker in the house on and off, the work lights were on while it was actively raining

Most of the breaker panels in California are outside on the side of the house. They just have a little flimsy cover over them.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

FCKGW posted:

Most of the breaker panels in California are outside on the side of the house. They just have a little flimsy cover over them.

i don't think this was rated for outdoor use what with the big open hole in the top

i'm not entirely sure that hole was designed to be there. i wish i'd gotten a picture before they put the walls back up but it's not really good & cool to go inspecting someone else's property

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My old house in N. Virginia had an exterior breaker box too. Not normal but the electrician said he saw them around iirc.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

My old house in N. Virginia had an exterior breaker box too. Not normal but the electrician said he saw them around iirc.

that one probably didn't have a 2.5" hole drilled in the top with some random BX coming out of it with an indoor outlet hanging off the end

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There are interior breaker boxes?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Where I live I only ever see them interior. It's electrical stuff, why would you expose that to the outside? At the same time it's really common at residential construction sites for them to toss up some cheap stablock box on a wooden pole in the front yard for site power during construction.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Baronjutter posted:

Where I live I only ever see them interior. It's electrical stuff, why would you expose that to the outside? At the same time it's really common at residential construction sites for them to toss up some cheap stablock box on a wooden pole in the front yard for site power during construction.

If your av is accurate we live relatively nearby so yeah, same, seeing one outdoors here is like holy-poo poo (outside of construction people who know what they're doing).

I dunno what effect being in a rainforest next to an ocean has on that.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

This guy doesn't really understand the concept of property or bylaws, at least he asked me before burning construction waste in my yard. He'd already dug the pit. I made him fill it back in.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

There are interior breaker boxes?

Not to turn this into a derail like the floor/ceiling HVAC vents, buts yes, it varies. My parents' house they built themselves has the panel in the laundry room, my previous house had it outside the kitchen wall next to the side door right under the meter, my current house has it inside behind the master bedroom door (and a box on the pole where the service drop comes from right under the meter with a single giant breaker in it. I really should put a lock on that box, and should have on the outdoor breaker box on the previous house. But the neighborhood yoofs haven't turned off my power as a prank yet.)

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

oh heck i went and started a derail and didn't even post a decent picture of anything, i should ban myself probs

anyways my new place is nice overall but the kitchen remodel featured some questionable decisions

this is the bottom of the cabinet above my fridge. this is gonna be real fun to find something to fit when the fridge dies.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I might have mentioned this before but speaking of construction waste when my Ukrainian inlaws were getting their house finished (no one builds full houses, you buy a concrete shell that's been wired and plumbed but that's it) there was an ever-growing pile of construction garbage forming in the back yard. The whole project was a bit of a nightmare and the quality of both the base building and the interior fittings are not great and could be the subject of multiple posts here. But after everything was said and done they had to hire another person to come take away the construction garbage. When the little CAT came to shovel it up into a bin they realized only the outer shell of the pile was construction waste and about 75% of the core was all discarded vodka bottles and beer cans. Explains a lot.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
The second someone manages to find a way to turn glass shards and aluminum cans into a structural material, the quality of most new track houses is gonna go up substantially.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I know some construction sites ban eating on premises because workers will throw food waste into the walls and then you get big rat or bug issues.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SoundMonkey posted:

oh heck i went and started a derail and didn't even post a decent picture of anything, i should ban myself probs

anyways my new place is nice overall but the kitchen remodel featured some questionable decisions

this is the bottom of the cabinet above my fridge. this is gonna be real fun to find something to fit when the fridge dies.

Hah, I measured my fridge several times in the shop and even then only barely managed to get it in.
Had to take out the shelf, put the fridge in, then put the shelf back because it has a little hump at the back.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Don't fridges need some airflow around them to keep from overheating?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Mainly in the back, from the sides. Most modern fridges pull air from the back and blow it across the coils that are on the bottom, out the front.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I see they have rocks out with their cock out.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

House of leaves adaptation looking good.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Delivery McGee posted:

Not to turn this into a derail like the floor/ceiling HVAC vents, buts yes, it varies. My parents' house they built themselves has the panel in the laundry room, my previous house had it outside the kitchen wall next to the side door right under the meter, my current house has it inside behind the master bedroom door (and a box on the pole where the service drop comes from right under the meter with a single giant breaker in it. I really should put a lock on that box, and should have on the outdoor breaker box on the previous house. But the neighborhood yoofs haven't turned off my power as a prank yet.)

Exterior breaker box is just a horror movie waiting to happen. Breaking into a breaker box seems much easier than cutting the high power lines. Monster/psycho opens the box and trips all the breakers. Now you're in the dark, and the only way to fix it is to go outside where the monster is.

Even without monsters, having to go outside to throw a breaker seems like a terrible idea. I don't even like going into the basement to do it, but outside? What if it is dark? Or icy? Or a blizzard is in the middle of dropping 3 feet of snow overnight? If you're in a non-blizzard zone you're probably in an area prone to apocalyptic wind+dust+fire storms.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I said that just because every house I've lived in, and townhouse, has had it outside. In both Idaho and Arizona. Even every relative I can remember in the same.

Just never occurred to me.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
My house has the master breaker, HVAC breaker, water heater breaker, and shop breaker on a panel outside, along with a manual generator transfer. Inside the house is everything else. Doesn't seem all that uncommon compared to most other houses I've looked at around here.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Exterior breaker box is just a horror movie waiting to happen. Breaking into a breaker box seems much easier than cutting the high power lines. Monster/psycho opens the box and trips all the breakers. Now you're in the dark, and the only way to fix it is to go outside where the monster is.

Even if all breakers were indoors you could just pull the meter to cut power

(Ask me about replacing a busted main breaker a few weeks ago)

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Progressive JPEG posted:

Even if all breakers were indoors you could just pull the meter to cut power

(Ask me about replacing a busted main breaker a few weeks ago)

the hippies around here are trying to work out how to do this because ~smart meters~

surprisingly you end up having to pay a lot of money and also legal action and not have any power

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Taikuri posted:

I was working at company with multiple facilities here in Finland that made full houses with foundations in one piece, and we would just ship them on trucks to the lot.

We got a house that was on the property for 2 years, and insulation was poo poo in one particular room and house was cold, they picked it up and shipped it back to us.

At this point I should mention they had a "atmospheric" fireplace, that was not meant to warm the house, but give a little ambiance with cozy fire, very common practice.

They tried to use it to warm the house due to issues with cold coming in, so lot of tiles were cracked, metal sheets bending wildly, and we replaced the thing.

The problem with insulation was stupidest thing I've yet to hear in my 5 years of working in construction.

They decided to embed the outdoor switchboard about halfway through the wall

First -30 degrees celsius week came, and cold just rushed in, helped in by less than half the mineral wool required by building standards, and cold metal right against it.

The switchboard was also right next to fireplace, which meant no matter how much they tried to warm up the thing, it would just suck more cold through.

We fixed wall and fireplace, and sold it for less to the next victim (the previous owners got a new house for free of course).

Between this and the houses made of sod my faith in Finnish construction is at an all time low.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SoundMonkey posted:

the hippies around here are trying to work out how to do this because ~smart meters~

surprisingly you end up having to pay a lot of money and also legal action and not have any power

We had an anomalous current reading from one customer who had 2x the power going back over neutral compared to coming in over live.
Turned out the customer had tried to "bypass" the meter to steal free power, but obviously bypassing the live in parallel still left as much current running through through the meter as through the extra wire.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

~Coxy posted:

We had an anomalous current reading from one customer who had 2x the power going back over neutral compared to coming in over live.
Turned out the customer had tried to "bypass" the meter to steal free power, but obviously bypassing the live in parallel still left as much current running through through the meter as through the extra wire.

Bypass the neutral by grounding to the plumbing inside the house.

#lifehack

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Even without monsters, having to go outside to throw a breaker seems like a terrible idea. I don't even like going into the basement to do it, but outside? What if it is dark? Or icy? Or a blizzard is in the middle of dropping 3 feet of snow overnight? If you're in a non-blizzard zone you're probably in an area prone to apocalyptic wind+dust+fire storms.

It's Texas, so the snow and ice are like one day a year, but you're right about the apocalyptic wind+dust+fire storms, that happened one summer. My house was not endangered, but fuckin' firefighter C-130s kept flying over me at treetop level.

Also one time at that house somebody stole my TV cable. Not in the sense of bootlegging free TV, some rear end in a top hat literally cut the wire at the pole and at the drop and carried it away. That was an interesting phone conversation with the cable company.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 30, 2017

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

What are the chances you'd notice if they knew what they were doing and "bypassed" both? If I'm understanding it right, that would theoretically cut their power bill in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

I know some construction sites ban eating on premises because workers will throw food waste into the walls and then you get big rat or bug issues.

When my dad was trying to figure out why one bedroom in his house was always cold, he found a bunch of old chip bags all wadded up in the ducts going to that room.