Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Yeah I'm of the opinion that it's better for the Lakers pick to convey this year so they can get a combination of a wing and a guard (Monk/Isaac is my current obsession) to play with Embiid/Simmons (and probably Covington unless they go FA).

I'm really excited about the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

If anyone has an Alexa and is too lazy to use a web browser to look at Tankathon, there's a solution :)

https://pmyers88.github.io/nba-tank-standings/

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I saw something on Yahoo about Hamidou Diallo declaring for the draft and it's apparently sort of a big deal? What's the low down on him?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
It's more of a big deal because he enrolled in Kentucky mid-way through the year from prep school, and I think people thought he was coming back next year as a redshirt freshman. He's entering the draft without having played any college basketball. One thing to note though is that he hasn't hired an agent, so he could still go back to school.

I don't think he's anywhere near a lottery pick right now. He's definitely nowhere near that first set of six guards or so (Fultz, Ball, Monk, Fox, Smith, Ntilikina). He's an extremely athletic slasher, around 6'5" at the shooting guard position. Could be a good defensive player, can't shoot at all though.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 24, 2017

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

mikeraskol posted:

It's more of a big deal because he enrolled in Kentucky mid-way through the year from prep school, and I think people thought he was coming back next year as a redshirt freshman. He's entering the draft without having played any college basketball. One thing to note though is that he hasn't hired an agent, so he could still go back to school.

I don't think he's anywhere near a lottery pick right now. He's definitely nowhere near that first set of six guards or so (Fultz, Ball, Monk, Fox, Smith, Ntilikina). He's an extremely athletic slasher, around 6'5" at the shooting guard position. Could be a good defensive player, can't shoot at all though.

General consensus from the UK media folk is that this was all part of the plan for him and he'll be back next year, most likely with a grade of "late first this year with lottery potential next year." On one hand they're probably right and it'd be the smart move for him, on the other hand Diallo staying in results in them eating a lot of crow and someone plays Cal for once, so I'm torn.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's the nightmare decision that Kansas fans were worried Malik Newman might attempt.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/857011561818357763

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

How is that possible? :psyduck:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Cool, can't wait to see you back at USC next year

Hope you didn't stop going to classes :v:

EDIT: Its ok, He's playing it cool
https://twitter.com/Lou_weezy_ana/status/857015868294705152

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 27, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

How is that possible? :psyduck:

there are conflicting reports on whether or not her forgot or simply chose not to.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

He's going to double down on his story and not only attempt to graduate from USC but stay for a masters as well

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Elijah Stewart is going to cure AIDS just to spite Givony

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
So, I can't find this direct quote, but I've seen more than one person reference it, and, if you google search the quote, it hits Ford's mock draft so maybe this was said. Also, maybe this was fake news.

But apparently of the top 4 teams only one that has a "55% of selecting first" has Fultz #1 on their board.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rick posted:

So, I can't find this direct quote, but I've seen more than one person reference it, and, if you google search the quote, it hits Ford's mock draft so maybe this was said. Also, maybe this was fake news.

But apparently of the top 4 teams only one that has a "55% of selecting first" has Fultz #1 on their board.

That's so loving stupid unless you really, really like Josh Jackson

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Declan MacManus posted:

It's also loving stupid because no team has even close to a 55% chance to be picking first.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

IcePhoenix posted:

It's also loving stupid because no team has even close to a 55% chance to be picking first.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
How could you have multiple teams with 55% or more chance to go first?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

You could have a 55% chance if you held multiple lottery picks and you didn't know how probability works

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish the Mavs would draft a small forward but am sure they will draft a pg. I have already talked myself into Ntilikina but this just means the Knicks will draft him a few picks before Dallas.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Declan MacManus posted:

You could have a 55% chance if you held multiple lottery picks and you didn't know how probability works

So would that reference mean that like, Philly at least has Fultz #1 on their board?

I guess there isn't a ton of reason to talk about this without the actual quote, but it really bothers me if he talked to LA/Boston/Phoenix/Magic and they had someone else on there. Although I guess given the track record of some of those teams lately . . .

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Declan MacManus posted:

Well, probability would work additively in this case, but Philly is the only team with more than one pick that can end up #1 for them and it still leaves them with the 4th highest chance to get the top pick.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Declan MacManus posted:

Maybe the secret handspan numbers are out and he has Kawhi hands.
According to draftexpress he has the same wingspan as Fultz despite being 5 inches taller.
Also John Collins from Oregon's wingspan is 1.5 inches shorter than his height, pretty impressive

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The math there is dumb but Ford has been saying for awhile that not everyone has Fultz one, and a few teams/scouts like Ball and Jackson better. I know locally there's a lot of talk the Lakers would take Ball first but I have been kinda assuming that was wishful thinking from crazy homers

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
There's probably some gamesmanship going on too, why tip your hand if you might end up at no. 2

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Why not just say Philly has him at #1 instead of being mock coy and writing a blind item riddle

Or just say most teams don't have Fultz #1

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

"Which teams are interested in trading up to acquire De'Aaron Fox?"
"The team that resides in the city in which two trains intersect at 11 PM if one train is leaviny Mexico City at 5PM and the other is leaving Denver at 3PM and one train is going 70 MPH and the other train has the rights to swap picks with the Nets."

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

This team had Fultz at 100% their #1 but have a zero % chance of drafting ahead of the team that has a 55% chance

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
In which the NBA Draft thread degenerates into Steiner Math.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Player X has a Y% chance of being a bust if drafted by team Z

Let's fill these out.

Malik Monk has a 90% chance of being a bust if drafted by the Kings

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

WhyteRyce posted:

INSERT NAME HERE has a 90% chance of being a bust if drafted by the Kings

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Ball is the modern version of Jason Williams and he wasn't a bust.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Pretty sure the Kings fixed Buddy Hield

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Drafted by the Pelicans tho

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The Kings deserve to be made fun of for where they picked guys but the guys they did pick at least belong in the NBA which is like half the battle.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WhyteRyce posted:

Player X has a 90% chance of being a bust if drafted by NYK

Also, Im 100% anti-SYR since my heart was broken when I found out John Wallace was a fraud. How long until everyone realizes Lydon will do the same? Does he get draft at 21 and it takes 3 years? Does he drop to 40 caise theu already know?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

C. Everett Koop posted:

In which the NBA Draft thread degenerates into Steiner Math.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Implying that becoming Steiner Math is a bad thing should be a probatable offense imo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Can any of you tell me much about Isaiah Haretnstein? Givony has him going to the Raps.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Can any of you tell me much about Isaiah Haretnstein? Givony has him going to the Raps.

Going by the videos on his DX page, his jumper is pretty busted. Not great form and he scrunches up at the knees and elbows before he releases it which really diminishes his effective height. Defensively he looks kind of like a mess (overcommits and bites really badly on drive fakes). The good news is that he's 7'1 with long arms which you can't teach and he's pretty coordinated for his size. DX says he can't really finish in traffic but I don't know if I buy that based on what (little) I've seen. Probably an energy guy off the bench

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2017-nba-draft-combine-unofficial-invitee-breakdown-5909/

Looks like Fultz is going to at least show up and jump and touch the pole or whatever, Lonzo the only big name completely declining (as he should, really).

• Locked thread