Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Loopoo posted:

I really wish the devs added a chainsaw that lets you chop down trees in a 3-tile-width ahead of you. I'm laying down rail because FARL isn't updated yet, and going through forests is so loving annoying. A 5 minute track job turns into a 20 minute deforestation.

The new flamethrower in the tank straight up deletes a swath of trees in front of you, without starting forest fires.
Alternatively, grenades and poison capsules can clear out areas of trees.

Or of course you could use your own flamethrower and set the whole thing on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Turns out FARL is updated. New megafactory is in the works, boyos.

Used FARL to take me to a nice open area and I'm starting a new smelting area and will slowly ship ores in. I've got basic automation down so I've got heaps of belts / smelters / miners.

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

Tenebrais posted:

Or of course you could use your own flamethrower and set the whole thing on fire.

Supposedly at a certain level of flamethrower damage research it gets to the point of being impossible to start a forest fire because it kills the trees too fast for the flames to spread. I've only just broken into blue science, so I've not been able to confirm firsthand.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How cool would it be having an open-truck cargo wagon that you can attach to your train, and then just drive onto with your car / tank? It'd be great for base building. Fully stock your car with all the materials, then just drive it onto the cargo bed.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ShadowHawk posted:

Do the new mining drill productivity improvements work basically the same way as productivity modules, giving a free ore once you hit a certain amount produced? If so that would mean that the same drills output ore faster as you get deeper into the tech tree.

Yup, they get a purple productivity bar and everything

Loopoo posted:

How cool would it be having an open-truck cargo wagon that you can attach to your train, and then just drive onto with your car / tank? It'd be great for base building. Fully stock your car with all the materials, then just drive it onto the cargo bed.

I remember seeing mods for that

seravid posted:

This served me well last game.

I really wish they'd let assemblers transmit fluids the same way that the mining drills do with sulfuric acid.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The new blueprint book is just the best. I've basically modulated my entire rail network, so now I can slap down junctions and stations in seconds. I haven't got a personal roboport yet, so I gotta lay it all by hand, but it leaves me with super neat and organized railway-related stuff. It's so satisfying opening the map and clicking "Electric Networks" and seeing my rail line consisting of 90 degree angle powerlines.

Building my new megafactory now, will build it with modularity in mind. Previously I couldn't do this, since I had crappy wooden poles, but now that I've unlocked better power poles and steel furnaces, I'll do this.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I decided to ship long range electricity by wagons full of hot steam in my current game. Will report on how long I can take this cf.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Truga posted:

I decided to ship long range electricity by wagons full of hot steam in my current game. Will report on how long I can take this cf.

Hope it's nuclear steam.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Loopoo posted:

The new blueprint book is just the best. I've basically modulated my entire rail network, so now I can slap down junctions and stations in seconds. I haven't got a personal roboport yet, so I gotta lay it all by hand, but it leaves me with super neat and organized railway-related stuff. It's so satisfying opening the map and clicking "Electric Networks" and seeing my rail line consisting of 90 degree angle powerlines.

Building my new megafactory now, will build it with modularity in mind. Previously I couldn't do this, since I had crappy wooden poles, but now that I've unlocked better power poles and steel furnaces, I'll do this.

I double checked. All of the science needed for everything leading up to the personal roboport is red or red and green. The personal roboport itself needs blue as well, but it's the only one, and if you're running blue science you can get a couple of the robot speed upgrades. If you're laying that much rail, do yourself a favor and build your personal roboport.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Onean posted:

I double checked. All of the science needed for everything leading up to the personal roboport is red or red and green. The personal roboport itself needs blue as well, but it's the only one, and if you're running blue science you can get a couple of the robot speed upgrades. If you're laying that much rail, do yourself a favor and build your personal roboport.

It's all good regarding the rail-laying, FARL is updated to 0.15. I wouldn't have even bothered doing it without FARL / Personal Roboport.

I'm working towards getting the PR ASAP cause I'm tired of leaving everything as ghost blueprints as I'm too lazy to do it all by hand.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Stab posted:

Hope it's nuclear steam.

yeah, superheated steam obviously.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Is there a working mod or some sort of configuration edit for expanding the size of the toolbelt? I got the upgrade to expand it to two bars, but I'm constantly stopping because my stuff gets moved in and out of the toolbelt and main inventory and I can never remember where anything is.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Man, just started playing this again after having put it down around 0.12. Trying to get my bearings again. Boilers are definitely different.

How is this for a starter smelting setup? Has two double-sided output belts for each metal, and can be expanded outward until it hits belt capacity. Easy transition to electric smelters by ripping up the inner coal lines.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Is there a working mod or some sort of configuration edit for expanding the size of the toolbelt? I got the upgrade to expand it to two bars, but I'm constantly stopping because my stuff gets moved in and out of the toolbelt and main inventory and I can never remember where anything is.

You can middle-click toolbelt slots to reserve them to alleviate this problem. Ctrl-middle click clears a reserved slot, and you can also do this with train car inventory slots.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Loopoo posted:

Vehicle Wagon does this. Not updated to 0.15 yet though, unfortunately

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=31489

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Cheers, I had no idea that existed.

Can someone explain what the production bars in the production tab do? I try and make sense of my iron produced vs iron consumed, but I dunno what the little coloured bars indicate.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

The new flamethrower in the tank straight up deletes a swath of trees in front of you, without starting forest fires.

I just discovered this myself, first time I've ever bothered with flamethrower ammo and I'm glad I did. I am currently building a very wide perimeter wall around my factory by first charging my tank through with the flamer going to kill a path of trees and then laying walls on the way back, it's very satisfying. I still think the point where you get the grenade damage upgrade to one-shot trees is more satisfying though.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
They show the current ratio between all of your products. The highest will always be full and the rest will be their ratio in comparison.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So if I'm producing 100 plate a minute, and consuming 50 a minute, production bar will be full and consumption bar will be at 50%?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/688yxy/is_this_where_our_mod_community_is_going/

"I'm so worried ~our community~ will end up like Minecraft that I'm going to start whiny drama queen threads to make sure it happens!"

The deleted part is a complaint about players using "easy mode" mods devaluing his game experience.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Effort post

I spent hours today testing 2x2 nuclear reactor designs in sandbox mode. I came to the conclusion that the way heat pipes and exchangers work is hosed.

Consistently, my heat exchangers started production in the NE quadrant first, then NW quadrant, then SE and SW at the same time. They also seemed to produce steam / consume heat at a higher rate matching the same order.

In the setup above, after finishing a cycle, each tank in the top right would have about 22k or so steam. Top left, 16k or so, and both bottom sides around 10 - 11k each. I tried many, many variations on the precise arrangements of the steam lines, water supply lines, buffer water supply tanks, pumps on the steam and water, and variations on the heat pipe branching. I tried putting a ring around the central reactor, then branching from that. I tried tearing down every pipe and placing them in continuous order starting at the reactor, based off some bug report I read on Reddit saying that placement order matters. Some variations balanced a little better than others, but I consisently had a severe imbalance.

I started checking the temperature on the heat pipes themselves and found that, generally each branch was pretty consistent conducting temperature along it's length; the last tile vs. first tile on a branch would generally be within 5 degrees of each other. However, while my average temperature on most of the branches might be, say, 520 degrees, everything in the top right quadrant would be 540 - 600, and several of the branches elsewhere might be stuck at 500 and thus not producing steam.

I was loading all fuel through inserters on a circuit to ensure simultaneous delivery, so all the reactors had identical start and ending burn times. Could it be that specific reactors or reactor outlet ports are favored? Certain types of heat pipe intersection?

Then I had a different idea: build a single heat pipe line in a spiral.

Believe it or not, this worked far better than any other design at balancing load. This time, I made sure each exchanger was connected to it's own private steam tank (which may itself require some more testing, but I'm loving tired of messing with this for one day.) I also doubled the water supply pumps, to 1 per 6 exchangers vs 1 per 12. Almost every tank in the picture is in the ballpark of 20.5 - 21.9k, which is good enough for me. However, look at the tanks at the bottom-leftmost position, and at the right end of the 2nd bottommost row on the left side. The first is completely empty, and the second has 66 steam units. Notice that each is between many other functioning heat exchangers on the heat pipe spiral. So, flat out, some of the heat pipes are bugged and not working correctly.

At this point, don't count on any theorycrafted nuclear designs actually working. Test them in sandbox. I'm pretty a lot of designs are not actually producing at their rated capacity.

Edit: oh yeah, the whole reason I discovered this this was for the steam battery bank idea. Yeah, about 48 tanks will hold a 2x2 200 second fuel cycle with 10% room to spare, bugs notwithstanding.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 30, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Loopoo posted:

So if I'm producing 100 plate a minute, and consuming 50 a minute, production bar will be full and consumption bar will be at 50%?

Oh. No. The production and consumption bars do not reference each other. Production only looks at the other items your producing, and consumption only looks at the other items your consuming.

So, for example. You're producing two things, 100 plate per minute and 20 stone brick per minute. The production plate bar will be 100% full while the stone brick bar will be 20% full. Then, on the right side your factory is consuming 50 plate per minute and 25 stone brick per minute. The plate bar will be 100% full and the stone brick bar will be 50% full.

Onean fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 30, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks for clearing it up. It seems pointless having that? Aye, it makes it easier to see what your highest produced stuff are at a glance, but it'd be more beneficial seeing whether your production is keeping up with your consumption. You can tell when you're bottlenecked cause consumption and production will be the same value, but being able to see how much more I can produce would be beneficial, so I don't go smack down a massive smelting line only to find out it can only raise by another 5% before the assemblers physically can't produce more.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

metasynthetic posted:

Effort post

Nuclear.

I was getting a weird/similar effect in our mp games. Nowhere near as odd as you were describing though. When I rearranged for a 1-2-1 four reactor arrangement the southeast side didn't want to move heat. It seemed to be because the heat exchangers and heat pipes near them were still at a few hundred degrees, so the new heat, even though it was many hundreds higher, didn't want to flow right.

The solution took 30 seconds with robots, just ripped up that heat pipe and laid it back down from the reactor and gave it a few seconds beforecConnecting it to the the turbines, takin care to always extend from hot to cold

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Science takes up so much more space in my factory than it used to, but I'm down with that.

Also all yellow, to all blue skipping red entirely (except for braiding) is how I roll.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Anyone got a good station/ore depot blueprint string?

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I like this line of thought.

The only correct answer is Factorio is "more."

Posting from the past, but the biggest breakthrough moment for me was really grokking the "Mass Production" ethos. Exploit as many resources as feasible, Build like you're going to expand by tenfold, and maximize uptime on all processes. Power, then resources, then logistics.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
A new lovely mod: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/GotLag/Nuclear%20Fuel

An adaptation of the Reactors fuel cycle for 0.15, somewhat modified.

In short: using plutonium to breed fuel burns your U-238 faster, but when combined with using plutonium to make MOX you get about 50% more power from your uranium.

Also building nuclear weapons now requires nuclear reactors, as atomic warheads now require plutonium, which is only obtained from reprocessing spent fuel of some kind.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

How do you guys build your mining fields?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Slam down rows of miners. One row facing up, next faces down, repeat. Or left/right, whichever works better. Don't bother with trying to be fancy and space them out, just click and run in a straight line. Do leave a one tile gap between each row for the conveyor belts on the one side, and electric poles on the other. Funnel those conveyors into a belt balancer and then on to a train station. Probably put some walls and turrets around the whole thing if it's far enough out.

The electric miners are able to mine past their 3x3 building size, so you can space them out to be two tiles apart and get full coverage. That takes time and is fiddly and annoying so I just slam down a wall of miners instead. I could make a nice blueprint but :effort:

E: A higher density of mining drills will also produce more ore per second and deplete the deposit faster. Now that I think about it, you'd also get productivity bonuses (from research, potentially modules) per field? So that makes it better to do, get more total?

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 30, 2017

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

GenericOverusedName posted:

E: A higher density of mining drills will also produce more ore per second and deplete the deposit faster. Now that I think about it, you'd also get productivity bonuses (from research, potentially modules) per field? So that makes it better to do, get more total?
The productivity bonus is per ore produced (every 100 ore you mine will generate 2 free ore)

Barring rounding error, that doesn't mean more minors == more total ore comes out of field.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Ah, then nevermind. Still going to do it because it's the easiest though.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

The productivity bonus is per ore produced (every 100 ore you mine will generate 2 free ore)

Barring rounding error, that doesn't mean more minors == more total ore comes out of field.

The productivity bonus is on each miner though, right? So you'd get a higher total throughput with more miners regardless, as that's more little productivity bars filling and generating an extra ore.

In a perfectly ideal situation, you'd have each miner spaced perfectly that it doesn't mine any other items and each miner when done with it's patch does not "waste" any productivity bar amount, but it's easier/faster to slam down as many as possible.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
So we started a marathon game when .15 started. This base is starting to get on the large side:

Our main shortages right now are copper and green circuits. We have just gotten high tech science and are struggling to sustain an output. The green circuit factory is by far the most interesting part of this base because of it's sheer size.

it will unload a full copper train in ~20 seconds and devour it within short order. There are 128 circuit factories there.

obligatory production graphs:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

DelphiAegis posted:

The productivity bonus is on each miner though, right? So you'd get a higher total throughput with more miners regardless, as that's more little productivity bars filling and generating an extra ore.

In a perfectly ideal situation, you'd have each miner spaced perfectly that it doesn't mine any other items and each miner when done with it's patch does not "waste" any productivity bar amount, but it's easier/faster to slam down as many as possible.
The productivity bar fills up as the miner works. More miners means you get more productivity bonuses per unit time, but it also means the mine depletes faster.

For ever 100 ore mined, you get 2 free ore. It doesn't matter whether you have 100 drills or 10, all that matters is the size of the field and how fast you want your total ore.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Dred_furst posted:

So we started a marathon game when .15 started. This base is starting to get on the large side:

Our main shortages right now are copper and green circuits. We have just gotten high tech science and are struggling to sustain an output. The green circuit factory is by far the most interesting part of this base because of it's sheer size.

it will unload a full copper train in ~20 seconds and devour it within short order. There are 128 circuit factories there.

obligatory production graphs:

How did you build the train on load/offload? I need a good blueprint for my gear factory, doesn't matter if it's ridiculously oversized.

e: Radars are pretty good now, you can use them to monitor distant outposts from the map!

Selklubber fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 30, 2017

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Selklubber posted:

e: Radars are pretty good now, you can use them to monitor distant outposts from the map!

Yeah, my friend figured this out in multiplayer and for the longest time I didn't understand what he meant by them "giving sight". Then I realized I could zoom in on our iron mine and was all "WTF?"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GenericOverusedName posted:

Ah, then nevermind. Still going to do it because it's the easiest though.

Yeah, I space mine out, but I have a 10x10 miner blueprint for it, so I just walk up to a deposit, align the edge and click and the robots do everything. If I had to space them out manually, lol.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Zest posted:

Posting from the past, but the biggest breakthrough moment for me was really grokking the "Mass Production" ethos. Exploit as many resources as feasible, Build like you're going to expand by tenfold, and maximize uptime on all processes. Power, then resources, then logistics.

This is a breakthrough I still haven't really experienced, despite playing so much. I used to build factories with huge, 4-lane buses and think I was doing it, but then I'd have like 12 furnaces supplying each lane. That's nowhere near the saturation point, even for yellow belts!

I'm getting better at it, now that I know it's 24 steel furnaces to saturate a yellow belt and 1 electric drill per steel furnace. But then I see people's factories with 3-wide buses of just green circuits, and I realize I have a lot to learn, especially when it comes to scaling with trains.

I'm curious: how quickly do y'all hit certain milestones in a new save? For example, how long do you take to get electricity, start mass producing red science, and then green science? How long does it take to get oil refining up and running?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Solumin posted:

This is a breakthrough I still haven't really experienced, despite playing so much. I used to build factories with huge, 4-lane buses and think I was doing it, but then I'd have like 12 furnaces supplying each lane. That's nowhere near the saturation point, even for yellow belts!

I'm getting better at it, now that I know it's 24 steel furnaces to saturate a yellow belt and 1 electric drill per steel furnace. But then I see people's factories with 3-wide buses of just green circuits, and I realize I have a lot to learn, especially when it comes to scaling with trains.

I'm curious: how quickly do y'all hit certain milestones in a new save? For example, how long do you take to get electricity, start mass producing red science, and then green science? How long does it take to get oil refining up and running?
.15 changes milestones but because I have nothing but bad things to say about 3 lanes of circuits, a good 0.14 run for me is red (automated ready to move forward, hand filling chests puts it at like 20 minutes) at something like 45 minutes, green like 1:45, blue around 4. Rocket somewhere between 9 and 20 depending what I wanted to play with in between. RSO would delay blue a couple hours for rail infrastructure set up. Mass production good, but its got to have a point because getting boners for gears and circuits is amateur when there's so many goodies waiting for you past blue science.

e. Green sounds kind of late laid out like that since there's like barely any red only techs? That green number might be closer to "the time I've got the core red/green techs and start looking toward oil"

zedprime fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 30, 2017