Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Semper Fudge posted:

The Valeera nerf was almost certainly because they didn't want to scare off new players I feel. Wouldn't be surprised if they revert it the minute the Overwatch events are done.

Blizzard doesn't usually straight-up undo nerfs and/or buffs if Overwatch is any indication, they may buff her again later but it'll be by giving her a new level 20 talent and making other adjustments meant to compensate for the damage nerf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I miss that awesome pirate one, but a smaller pool of maps is probably good while I play my way up to 5 on as many characters as I can. Still painfully bad at everything, but getting slightly less so I think with some of the simpler characters.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

My favorite was the dumb mines map because teleporting to a different map owned

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Started playing again, glad I picked the support pack just for Auriel alone. Tried that build posted earlier and she's just a loving monster.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Another day, another time when someone gets angry at TCjimbo. Crikey.

On another note, I think I finally got Genji down pretty well and I love playing him. Probably the most enjoyable assassin to play right now. I think it was Brian who I played QM with earlier and I believe it was a game in which we stomped fairly hard.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Valeera was okay for a stealth character. I'm not personally a fan of the unrevealable mechanic and would have gone after that before hitting her damage, but eh. The real dumb stealth character who needs to be sent back to the drawing board is Nova since the only thing she really has is damage, and she needs more to her than just that.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

chumbler posted:

Valeera was okay for a stealth character. I'm not personally a fan of the unrevealable mechanic and would have gone after that before hitting her damage, but eh. The real dumb stealth character who needs to be sent back to the drawing board is Nova since the only thing she really has is damage, and she needs more to her than just that.

I think they should dump Holo Decoy and replace it with a canister shot ala Graves in League of Legends, where you fire an aoe shot that does no damage but covers the ground in a smoke that limits visibility to enemies inside of it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Did a bunch of games against AI tonight with friends to ease me in. Died a lot, still don't know how MOBAs work, and had some technical problems but apparently I am some kind of idiot savant with Greymane and got MVP with him twice in a row

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Semper Fudge posted:

The Valeera nerf was almost certainly because they didn't want to scare off new players I feel. Wouldn't be surprised if they revert it the minute the Overwatch events are done.

Yeah but all the Overwatch hoppers have been awful people so they should un-nerf Valeera

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.
Speaking of Nova. I love getting the talent "Lethal Decoy" because it works with "One in the Chamber". The first shot the clone shoots off is a pretty hard hit as it deals 80% increased damage. This allows you to play some real mind games as it hits almost as much as regular nova untalented shot. When they see the HP bar drop, and that they took damage the other team will just pounce on the clone. Lot's of fun.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

Did a bunch of games against AI tonight with friends to ease me in. Died a lot, still don't know how MOBAs work, and had some technical problems but apparently I am some kind of idiot savant with Greymane and got MVP with him twice in a row

Good job. Note that the game's assessment of MVP often has a lot to do with who died least, and then counting up your kills/assists between those people.

(In most games it is a dedicated ranged DPS in my experience).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

dont even fink about it posted:

Good job. Note that the game's assessment of MVP often has a lot to do with who died least, and then counting up your kills/assists between those people.

(In most games it is a dedicated ranged DPS in my experience).

Yeah that makes sense

The most "I'm excited to play this character" followed by being repeatedly murdered experience with Kael'thas. Mages in this game in general seem hard for me to click with.

I also gave Abathur a shot but it was hard to tell if I was really helping at all.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

How do people deal with clones from Nova or Samuro in general, hit them anyway, or try to guess the real one and ignore the rest?

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Kill Samuro, ignore Nova

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I would definitely like Valeera to be more stabby thanks, revert all the nerfs

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I wish they just removed permanent/long-lasting stealth altogether.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
Valeera was supposed to have a niche where she can shut down damage on the enemy team (see: the cheap shot blind talent & garrote ability power reduction talent, plus the poisons). They should lean into that imo and give her more/better tools to limit the effectiveness of the enemy.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

I wish they just removed permanent/long-lasting stealth altogether.

Pick Tassadar

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
So after days of loving around because HotS wouldn't update, threw errors about not having admin rights, I finally figured it out. I had my documents folder redirected to a network share on my Unraid box because I only have a tiny 240gb SSD OS drive and didn't want it filling up with bullshit.

Turns out HotS is the one and only Bliz game that can't handle that for some loving dumb reason.

Least I can get my DVA skin now.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Spudd posted:

Pick Tassadar

I don't like playing him and it's not really a solution.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Man, Genji can do some hilarious and stupid poo poo with deflect. For instance, it works on the gently caress you cannons on towers of doom!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The hoverbike models are obnoxiously huge. Morales practically gets stuck in a t-pose while riding them because of all her gear.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
Seeing as it's been about a year, what are the Hot Heroes To Practice? I want to make myself well rounded before I keep going in Hero League (plat 2 on placements woo), since I can mostly only play supports right now. I've been practicing Lucio and the angel lady but I feel like I need to have at least one or two assassins who I'm not total garbage at. I tend to do pretty good on pushing heroes like Gul'dan but I hate being squishy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I mostly solo queue for draft and Sylvanas seems like a pretty well-balanced pick. She can push, she can kill, and she can escape all to varying degrees depending on a few talent choices. Very good force multiplier on team fights but can also succeed alone. I think she's a safe choice when you don't know what you're getting and just want to be effective.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

lordfrikk posted:

I don't like playing him and it's not really a solution.

Is stealth actually a problem though

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

We don't need another two pages of smug nerds saying stealth isn't a problem for them.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Well then play loving Tassadar then, a lot of other heroes can get talents at 1 that reveal stealthers but one of Tass's most fun builds involve reducing his sight cool down to 15 seconds so you're never not storming bitches.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Support:
Malf - any time, esp if enemy stealth.
Lucio - any time. Benefits from a Tass or Zarya or 2nd healer to deal with burst.
Uther - CC + anti-burst. Preheal with Q when you know nukes are incoming.
Li Li - anti-AA + unkillable + assassin-level damage.
Tass - your team has a squish AA (Valla, Zul'jin, Tracer) and another healer.
Auriel - when your team has a source of constant damage (Valla, Gul'Dan, Lunara, Cho'Gall)

Assassins:
Gul'Dan - just practice, really. Stay with your tank and healer.
Artanis - basically assassin levels of damage, but very durable.
Greymane - AOE cocktails do serious work and melee form has armor so you're a little tougher. Cursed Bullet is good in the double tank meta. You have no self heal though, so don't melee solo lane unless you're going in for the kill.
Jaina is good but doesn't have durability.
Kael can peel for himself, but range is a bit lacking. Only with a good front line.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
I do love me some bruisers but I feel like I can't hit Art's triangle at all.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

I'd rather have Malf against a stealther than Tassadar. Tassadar can counter stealth pretty well but you also counter your own team by being Tassadar. He keeps getting nerfed into the ground because of how good he is in competitive lol.

I think Tass does still have some value in a double support role by helping to enable a Valla/Sonya/Zuljin go ham but I wonder if he's even worth picking for that now that Uther is back in town.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

I bet if you just filter out games where no one picks a healer because we have tassadar (ie: I didn't want to heal and now I can just blame tassadar if we lose) he'd probably jump +10% win rate in HL too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Poultron posted:

I do love me some bruisers but I feel like I can't hit Art's triangle at all.

It's one of those things where it's like, 50% of the reason you pick him, so it's worth just going into AI games to practise landing it.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Gustav posted:

I bet if you just filter out games where no one picks a healer because we have tassadar (ie: I didn't want to heal and now I can just blame tassadar if we lose) he'd probably jump +10% win rate in HL too.

Looks like his best healer pairings are Li Li (44.9%) and Rehgar (44.5%) which is a lot better than his overall stats but still pretty lovely.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Poultron posted:

Seeing as it's been about a year, what are the Hot Heroes To Practice? I want to make myself well rounded before I keep going in Hero League (plat 2 on placements woo), since I can mostly only play supports right now. I've been practicing Lucio and the angel lady but I feel like I need to have at least one or two assassins who I'm not total garbage at. I tend to do pretty good on pushing heroes like Gul'dan but I hate being squishy.

welcome back you big idiot

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
also Poultron weren't you the one super obsessed with Lili? I have wonderful news for you

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

We don't need another two pages of smug nerds saying stealth isn't a problem for them.

I'm genuinely asking, I usually see the blur and just throw something at it

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

they should just make valeera like how she was in vanilla wow and give her like a 10 second stunlock

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
If I recall correctly the blur is affected by graphical settings so some people have a have a harder time seeing it.

Sometimes you're playing a dude who doesn't have the ability to throw something at the stealth wobble

Val also has sometimes no stealth wobble blur at all with the unrevealable thing

If they're a bad stealthy they'll be in the middle of the open and have an easy to see wobble, good stealthies still try to sneak around from bushes and poo poo and that's harder to see them in. Like everything, there's a lot of really bad players who pick stealth heroes (on your team), and a handful of really loving scary good players who pick stealth heroes (on the red team).

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

GenericOverusedName posted:

If I recall correctly the blur is affected by graphical settings so some people have a have a harder time seeing it.

I used to play on a laptop and yeah it's a lot easier to see on higher graphical settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Valeera is certainly the most frustrating of the stealthies. When you see the blur it's usually too late since she covers a lot of ground and has a stun, so you have to watch minimap 100% of the time and go sit in gate the second she disappears from it. Perfectly manageable, but not very fun.