Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Sedisp posted:

Man light needlers are impossible to come by without a commission

I hear ya. I've literally seen more Medusas for sale on the black market than light needlers. Railguns are also crazy rare, although slightly less so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Tarezax posted:

Tartiflette over on the official forums is a modding monster

Is that a motherfucking gundam. :allears:

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
It is, but is that a motherfucking Borg cube?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

The Muffinlord posted:

It is, but is that a motherfucking Borg cube?

It is sadly just a test ship from a mod.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Has anyone messed with an all phase-ship fleet? Is it any fun and does the AI handle piloting them well?

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Is that a motherfucking gundam. :allears:

Um excuse me I think you mean mobile suit. :viggo:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I really wish I could give ships orders regarding missile use. I'm trying to take down a big ship, and my destroyer with 24 harpoons... fires all of them on a frigate.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Elukka posted:

I really wish I could give ships orders regarding missile use. I'm trying to take down a big ship, and my destroyer with 24 harpoons... fires all of them on a frigate.

If you wanna be real anal retentive about it shuttle around to your missile ships and manually make them fire. Sub-optimal? Sure, but at least less of the pretty explosions come from my ships!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

nth-ing the Legion love, it's a great goddamn ship, even though I kinda shat on it earlier because I was a dumb and kept using it's hybrid mounts solely for missiles for some unfathomable reason. Swapping two of those over to dual flaks was a night and day difference with that thing's effectiveness.

VVVV Apparently he also managed to give the melee Wanzers invincibility frames or something? Dude signed a pact with some kind of dark god.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 29, 2017

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

stop it tarti

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In other games they'll set up the art assets to have a layer or certain colours which the player can define. So like you could give your ship red stripes or green stripes, or pick a primary and secondary colour, or slap a logo or something on there.
I'd so love that in star sector, just to look nice but also to help tell my ships apart at a glance better. But, but mostly so I could theme my fleet and have them all match.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mercrom posted:

Salvage is good but what the hell is the use for surveying? I don't need money and I don't need to waste supply when I'm a hundred light years from the nearest station.

The real problem is the pilot skills. They should be in a separate tree because they are not worth it over skills that improve your entire fleet.

I would agree that putting fleet skills, personal skills, and strategic mechanic skills on the same point pool is rather odd. I think it would be better if it split those three to use different point pools.

kertap
Mar 13, 2010
I just got this game and I'm absolutely loving it. I've a couple of noob questions.

What's the outposts tab down at the bottom for?

I've 6 Gamma cores, who should I sell them to?

What's a good way to make money? I mostly find that I take a mission and complete it and then restocking fuel/supplies wipes me out.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I cannot express how happy this makes me. Now give me a heavyarms model and I'm good.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I think I'd rather see the skills split up into two separate trees with different currencies. Have combat and piloting be skills controlled by experience, have salvaging be controlled by gear, mods, ships, or training manuals or something that you buy so it becomes a function of money, that way you directly improve salvage and survey by doing them since they yield major cash and a little bit of XP. At the same time combat directly improves combat since XP is primarily gained by combat anyway.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

kertap posted:

I just got this game and I'm absolutely loving it. I've a couple of noob questions.

What's a good way to make money? I mostly find that I take a mission and complete it and then restocking fuel/supplies wipes me out.

Player outposts don't really exist at the moment short of making your home at an abandoned station or what have you, so don't worry about the button. If you sell one core to the Luddic Path, their ships will stop attacking you. After that your best bets are Tri-Tach if you want to make scads of money (they pay triple the market rate), or the Hegemony if you want to get in good with them and start buying big low/midtech capitals.

Exploration missions are probably the best way to make a bunch of cash and tons of rep at the same time, especially if you can take a bunch in the same general direction. The only penalty for failure is a point of rep, which you'll make back five or ten times over. Plus you'll likely find a rich vein of salvage wherever you go. If you're feeling confident, named bounties spawn a lot closer to the inhabited core and start at ~50kCr.

Also keep an eye out for little signal sources when you're flying around. Odds are it's a salvagable ship, and it might just be something awesome like a top-tier battleship.

Just pray you have the fuel. :negative:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
What's a good place to find bulk quantities of recreational drugs?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

hello beautiful

re: drugs, check the black markets of large stations, or salvage orbital habs.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Anticheese posted:

Protip, you can mothball massive capitals you salvage and they don't use any resources while you fly back home.

kertap
Mar 13, 2010

Anticheese posted:

Player outposts don't really exist at the moment short of making your home at an abandoned station or what have you, so don't worry about the button. If you sell one core to the Luddic Path, their ships will stop attacking you. After that your best bets are Tri-Tach if you want to make scads of money (they pay triple the market rate), or the Hegemony if you want to get in good with them and start buying big low/midtech capitals.

Exploration missions are probably the best way to make a bunch of cash and tons of rep at the same time, especially if you can take a bunch in the same general direction. The only penalty for failure is a point of rep, which you'll make back five or ten times over. Plus you'll likely find a rich vein of salvage wherever you go. If you're feeling confident, named bounties spawn a lot closer to the inhabited core and start at ~50kCr.

Also keep an eye out for little signal sources when you're flying around. Odds are it's a salvagable ship, and it might just be something awesome like a top-tier battleship.

I found a rusty Dram which has taken care of my Fuel needs. I ran into trouble in an earlier game but that's all taken care of for now.

I need more cargo space. I just did an exploration mission and found a deserted station with loads of food and domestic goods but Ive no space for them.

Let's see if I can get back to civilised space and sell these cores.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just figured out that you can "USE" the salvage skill on debris fields, not just salvage by clicking on derelicts. I don't know why the interaction system is different, why not have the menu come up when you click on the debris field?

Also I've been fighting tons of pirate bounties and it's all similar fleets but I just found one that was 2 doom cruisers and a ton of phase and high-tech ships, was cool to get into a very different fight and now I have 2 of these "tempest" ships everyone seems to like.

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Protip, you can mothball massive capitals you salvage and they don't use any resources while you fly back home.

Alas, mothballed ships still seem to count for hyperspace fuel used, although it's still very useful for eliminating the maintenance costs.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Flesh Forge posted:

re: neutrino detector

Is it supposed to show any sort of reaction to derelict ships, because it doesn't seem to for me :shrug:

Yes although different things give off different strength readings, aside from the false positives which are always the same strength. Something with a big reading like the main star could obscure any reading behind it. Something like a small derelict frigate isn't going to have a big signal at all, it would have to be a pretty granular search pattern to pick it up, with no idea where it was or if there is one there at all. The clues occasionally retrieved from data backs while salvaging that point to other salvage are quite invaluable there

Stations are potentially a massive haul, seemingly good chances at extra location data and relatively stronger signals. I'm having a lot of luck spotting them with four or more readings, roughly evenly covering the whole sector. There's time & supply costs relative to reward through, so sometimes it's better to search by whatever pattern the hyperspace transit points easily enable. Finding the first dozen derelicts in the outer reaches is a fairly manual process, after that the retrieved data with location clues start to add up

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

kertap posted:

You'll find the occasional warning beacon out and about in space. The red beacons are an endless source of delicious AI cores. The locals may require some convincing to lend them to you.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Okay yeah, salvage fields actually are very good. Initially it might seem like it's just a small amount of supplies with the risk of losing crew and machinery, but there's lots of ships in those things, I've got two medusas and a gemini and that's only the stuff I kept

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

RentACop posted:

Okay yeah, salvage fields actually are very good. Initially it might seem like it's just a small amount of supplies with the risk of losing crew and machinery, but there's lots of ships in those things, I've got two medusas and a gemini and that's only the stuff I kept

Are they bottomless? Are some better than others? Do they degrade over time? It's a slightly strange mechanic!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

Are they bottomless? Are some better than others? Do they degrade over time? It's a slightly strange mechanic!

They have diminishing returns and increasing costs, in the form of crew and machinery lost to accidents.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

In other games they'll set up the art assets to have a layer or certain colours which the player can define. So like you could give your ship red stripes or green stripes, or pick a primary and secondary colour, or slap a logo or something on there.
I'd so love that in star sector, just to look nice but also to help tell my ships apart at a glance better. But, but mostly so I could theme my fleet and have them all match.

I'd be all over that. Would also be pretty cool for factions that don't strictly stick to one tech type. Blue Tri-Tachyon Dominators or red Hegemony Medusas would be sweet.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

TheWetFish posted:

Yes although different things give off different strength readings, aside from the false positives which are always the same strength. Something with a big reading like the main star could obscure any reading behind it. Something like a small derelict frigate isn't going to have a big signal at all, it would have to be a pretty granular search pattern to pick it up, with no idea where it was or if there is one there at all. The clues occasionally retrieved from data backs while salvaging that point to other salvage are quite invaluable there

Stations are potentially a massive haul, seemingly good chances at extra location data and relatively stronger signals. I'm having a lot of luck spotting them with four or more readings, roughly evenly covering the whole sector. There's time & supply costs relative to reward through, so sometimes it's better to search by whatever pattern the hyperspace transit points easily enable. Finding the first dozen derelicts in the outer reaches is a fairly manual process, after that the retrieved data with location clues start to add up

Large stuff like stations is not that hard to find if you're hitting all the notable objects in a system anyway (i.e. to survey them), what would be really helpful is something to help locate mission targets (which are generally frigate sized anyway) and not have it be super tedious. At this point if the description says the target is out at the system edge or whatever I don't take the mission, and if I hit a location where I don't find the target at the usual places oh darn, go on to the next one - usually I take 3-5. I'd rather complete 2-3 other missions in the same time it takes me to maybe, if I'm lucky, sniff out a well-hidden one.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 30, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I once had two missions to locate derelict ships, both “in the heart” of the same system.

I couldn’t find either of them. I save scummed and searched extensively—in the corona, spiralling out, using the active sensor burst, &c..

Granted, I didn’t have the sensor skills, but it was ridiculous.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Objects are more likely to be in orbit of major bodies or, I think, on their orbital paths. I have had some luck circling the path of asteroid belts as well as other major bodies looking for objects.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Objects are more likely to be in orbit of major bodies or, I think, on their orbital paths. I have had some luck circling the path of asteroid belts as well as other major bodies looking for objects.

What do you do when it goes all "In the heart" and all that is there is the sun and warp points :v: "All right, this data I got claims there is a planet lousy with ruins in the heart of this system!.... aaand nothing is here"

So I can only imagine how much of a wild goose chase looking for something smaller would have been.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Platystemon posted:

I once had two missions to locate derelict ships, both “in the heart” of the same system.

I couldn’t find either of them. I save scummed and searched extensively—in the corona, spiralling out, using the active sensor burst, &c..

Granted, I didn’t have the sensor skills, but it was ridiculous.

This happens to me too, which is why I take 3-5 and just go on to the next one rather than take only one and be really annoyed.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Flesh Forge posted:

Large stuff like stations is not that hard to find if you're hitting all the notable objects in a system anyway (i.e. to survey them), what would be really helpful is something to help locate mission targets (which are generally frigate sized anyway) and not have it be super tedious. At this point if the description says the target is out at the system edge or whatever I don't take the mission, and if I hit a location where I don't find the target at the usual places oh darn, go on to the next one - usually I take 3-5. I'd rather complete 2-3 other missions in the same time it takes me to maybe, if I'm lucky, sniff out a well-hidden one.

The outer system ones are indeed pretty bad. It feels like a reward for fleets that are super optimised for hunting for them but yeah, not good missions to accept under normal conditions. I have hit a few massive ship graveyards off of those though, including capitals so I wouldn't completely dismiss them

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What kinda fleets are you guys using to take down the undamaged remnant stations? When I throw a ton of Talons at it it just kills them faster than I can replenish them. I've tried taking it on with my Conquest and as many Moras/Drovers as I can field, and also with all-carrier fleets. Neither cracks it. Damaged stations I can handle.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bold Robot posted:

What kinda fleets are you guys using to take down the undamaged remnant stations? When I throw a ton of Talons at it it just kills them faster than I can replenish them. I've tried taking it on with my Conquest and as many Moras/Drovers as I can field, and also with all-carrier fleets. Neither cracks it. Damaged stations I can handle.

Fighters are great but don't work 100% great against the stations because they have so many fighters of their own and very good PD weapons. Your fighters end up being a distraction, but you need some heavy hitters to take advantage of that distraction and deal the actual damage. Get some cruisers with armour-busting weapons in there to actually deal the physical damage to destroy the sections, my eagles worked well but my Dominators worked even better. You want tanks that can get up close, take a beating, but also give back a lot of anti-armour damage while the fighters overwhelm the shields and distract some of the weapons.

What is a good loadout for AI controlled tempests? I'm mostly cruiser focused now, but find sometimes my ships get kited away by tiny enemy ships. I want some fast hard hitting little guys to run down fleeing enemies and take care of enemy wolfs

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I use a paragon, onslaught and a couple legions as my main force to take out remnant stations. The paragon's key to soak up extreme amounts of damage while the rest of the fleet gets into position and hammers it.
It's probably the one combatant where carriers aren't as useful, unless you can protect the fighters well.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I turn the battle size up to 500 and throw everything I've got, including tankers and cargo ships at the remnant stations

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

What do you do when it goes all "In the heart" and all that is there is the sun and warp points :v: "All right, this data I got claims there is a planet lousy with ruins in the heart of this system!.... aaand nothing is here"

So I can only imagine how much of a wild goose chase looking for something smaller would have been.

I've never had that happen actually, sometimes if it doesn't give an exact position it can be awkward to find random things in system but I usually find them after a few orbits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So just to double check, DO pirates scale based on your own fleet size? Or did I just have some bad luck.

I saw one of those Ventures mentioned on sale and bought it up as my first cruiser (When everything else was a mix of a few D mod combat frigates and some support frigates to go with my starter wolf+Shepherd). Then soon after I got attacked in hyperspace for the first time, by the biggest pirate fleet to ever bother chasing me yet, ouch.