Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

eXXon posted:

The draft system is a failure judged solely on its results because it rewarded incompetent shitstain Kevin Lowe with McDavid and now the Oilers are in the 2nd round and might make the conference finals.

That was the old system.

Ginette Reno posted:

drat if Hischier or Patrick pan out the Flyers have a pretty good amount of talent.

Let us not forget they ran out their only good goalie in this century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Mcdavid was drafted under the new system

edit: i guess not under the new new system of top 3 lottery picks. is the nhl going to gently caress with the lottery every other year now

hifi fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 30, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, McDavid was drafted under the new odds but not the 3 pick system. That was first used last year.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

hifi posted:

Mcdavid was drafted under the new system

edit: i guess not under the new new system of top 3 lottery picks. is the nhl going to gently caress with the lottery every other year now

Maybe you can wait and see if they do and then complain about how it's bad.

I know this is meta and doesn't have to do with whether or not your particular preferred outcome occurred, but sports only work if everyone is trying to win, otherwise it's an Athletic Demonstration.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

in all my years watching sports i dont think it has ever been ruined by tanking

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The draft itself is stupid in a league with a hard cap and hard contract limits on both rookies and individual players.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gio posted:

in all my years watching sports i dont think it has ever been ruined by tanking

You wouldn't say that if you were a Ducks fan probably.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

glynnenstein posted:

Maybe you can wait and see if they do and then complain about how it's bad.

I know this is meta and doesn't have to do with whether or not your particular preferred outcome occurred, but sports only work if everyone is trying to win, otherwise it's an Athletic Demonstration.

I feel like im in a forum about Dota reading this post

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

You wouldn't say that if you were a Ducks fan probably.
pens are good because they tanked. chicago is good because they tanked. is every team that gets beat by them supposed to bemoan tanking?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

hifi posted:

I feel like im in a forum about Dota reading this post

Your life is harder than I'd appreciated. I apologize for telling you about how wrong you were a second ago.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

luckily all of the players on the ice are generally trying very hard to win even when they suck badly and it maintains this illusory purity of Sport you speak of

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

If the coyotes are the ones responsible for having hockey reclassified as an Athletic Demonstration by not spending to the cap by signing steve ott this offseason then so be it.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Potentially not fielding the most talented squad when faced with impossible odds of getting to the post season, letting your young guys get some minutes against NHL talent, and not throwing good money after bad by potentially risking injuring your few and precious valuable assets, loving HOGWASH. How dare you break MY immersion.

Amuse me, sports players and businessmen.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Aye Doc posted:

luckily all of the players on the ice are generally trying very hard to win and it maintains this illusory purity of Sport you speak of

It's true, and as a fan of a team that tanked very effectively in every sense there are still fun moments thanks to the players still trying, but management directed tanking screws it up on the margins. There's no moral excuse for forcing fans to watch Jamie Heward play almost two full seasons of NHL hockey.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
This draft lottery thing is entertaining, but it takes out much of the motivation for tanking.

If we keep this up, then teams will WANT to improve.

Imagine how boring it'd be to have 31 teams all fighting for 16 playoff spots.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

CommaToes posted:

This draft lottery thing is entertaining, but it takes out much of the motivation for tanking.

oh my god this is a 'bored fan problem' on the same level as "the nhl needs more goals"

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

CommaToes posted:

No it doesn't

No they won't

Imagine a world where tanking actually isn't a problem and all the hand wringing over a completely viable and not-nearly-as-prevalent-as-perceived strategy causes reactionary rule changes that actually make things worse and makes it even harder for perennially lovely teams to get better because .500 teams get higher draft picks than a team that loses 60 games!!

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Teemu Pokemon posted:

No it doesn't

No they won't

Imagine a world where tanking actually isn't a problem and all the hand wringing over a completely viable and not-nearly-as-prevalent-as-perceived strategy causes reactionary rule changes that actually make things worse and makes it ever harder for perennially lovely teams to get better!!

The NHL board of Governors is only able to deal with one alternate reality at a time and they are currently preoccupied by the one in which head injuries are no big deal.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

They are actually dealing with two because they're currently living in the one where tanking and the draft are problems that need to be fixed

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The draft itself is stupid in a league with a hard cap and hard contract limits on both rookies and individual players.

Empty quoting this forever.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
The draft is dumb, unethical, and you're never getting rid of it.

There, I saved you guys some time.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

where is this 'the draft is dumb' poo poo coming from

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The draft is unethical from a labor standpoint, but sports leagues don't operate under the same laws of reality because they are encouraged to enforce parity for entertainment purposes and the most effective way to do that is to let the bad teams have the first crack at the best incoming players!!

If law firms were essentially forced to ideally be relatively equally effective and competitive, maybe there would be a lawyer draft and the valedictorian of Harvard law might have to spend 3 years in Wyoming, but nobody is buying tickets to go sit in for Cheyenne traffic court so

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 30, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't want Colorado to improve, and neither do any of you you concern trolls.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The schadenfreude ship already sailed when the Oilers stole McDavid

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Teemu Pokemon posted:

The draft is unethical from a labor standpoint, but sports leagues don't operate under the same laws of reality because they are encouraged to enforce parity for entertainment purposes and the most effective way to do that is to let the bad teams have the first crack at the best incoming players!!

If law firms were essentially forced to ideally be relatively equally effective and competitive, maybe there would be a lawyer draft and the valedictorian of Harvard law might have to spend 3 years in Wyoming, but nobody is buying tickets to go sit in for Cheyenne traffic court so

tbf no one is paying to see hockey games in arizona either

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Aphrodite posted:

been on this brigade since 01 tbh

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Teemu Pokemon posted:

The schadenfreude ship already sailed when the Oilers stole McDavid

The original sin was the Pens stealing of Crosby from the Caps, the worst most deserving team in the league.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Teemu Pokemon posted:

That's how the RCMP works in canada.

Nobody wants to be a cop in buttfuck Saskatchewan, so once they graduate from the academy, they have to put a few years in in whatever shithole needs cops. Unfortunately then you end up with Quebeckers in rural Saskatchewan that hate life and show it.

Immigrant doctors seem to work the same way, which ends up with the olds who are the only ones still living out there having to deal with a new minority every few years and they love it.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

gently caress ken holland

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Powershift posted:

That's how the RCMP works in canada.

Nobody wants to be a cop in buttfuck Saskatchewan, so once they graduate from the academy, they have to put a few years in in whatever shithole needs cops. Unfortunately then you end up with Quebeckers in rural Saskatchewan that hate life and show it.

Immigrant doctors seem to work the same way, which ends up with the olds who are the only ones still living out there having to deal with a new minority every few years and they love it.

Don't forget how this puts extremely racist white assholes in charge of Native reservations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

glynnenstein posted:

The original sin was the Pens stealing of Crosby from the Caps, the worst most deserving team in the league.

The Pens stole Lemieux from the Devils way before that

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Lets get this thread back on track

Gio posted:

gently caress ken holland

There we go

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, but the alternative right now is the Flyers and Devils.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have confidence in the incompetence of those two teams.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Aphrodite posted:

I have confidence in the incompetence of those two teams.

Ben Lovejoy averaged 21 minutes a game this season

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I wonder who Dallas takes. Sportsnet has that Finnish d-man ranked 3rd. They've already got two pretty good Finnish prospects on D with Lindell and Honka, I wonder if they'd take another.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Gio posted:

where is this 'the draft is dumb' poo poo coming from

The whole reason the draft exists in the first place is to keep rich teams from buying all the best talent and to depress individual player salaries. There's no reason for it in a salary cap league that also limits player contracts.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Aw poo poo, I wasn't being facetious enough. Poe's law, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The whole reason the draft exists in the first place is to keep rich teams from buying all the best talent and to depress individual player salaries. There's no reason for it in a salary cap league that also limits player contracts.
if the objective is parity there is.

• Locked thread