Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

CommaToes posted:

Aw poo poo, I wasn't being facetious enough. Poe's law, I guess.

Canadians don't have a word for sarcasm, so it's understandable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

tanking rules, you just gotta trust the process

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

No, McDavid was drafted under the new odds but not the 3 pick system. That was first used last year.

Like you said the odds for the winner were the same in 2015 as 2016 and similar to this year so my point stands unless you want to argue about who deserved Eichel or something.

Simple solution: the lottery odds should be based on a combination of previous season's standings, latitude of the city, ticket sales and TV ratings. It's the only way to be fair to long-suffering fanbases. If you want to go hog wild, factor in the average fan backwards skating speed too.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 30, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

eXXon posted:

Like you said the odds for the winner were the same in 2015 as 2016 and similar to this year so my point stands unless you want to argue about who deserved Eichel or something.

Simple solution: the lottery odds should be based on a combination of previous season's standings, latitude of the city, ticket sales and TV ratings. It's the only way to be fair to long-suffering fanbases. If you want to go hog wild, factor in the average fan backwards skating speed too.

You said it rewarded Edmonton, but they were in the #3 spot which also had reduced odds over previous years.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
tanking is not widespread, is not a problem, and the new draft format is stupid as gently caress. these are objective truths, and if you disagree with any of these three points, you are a dumb gently caress.

evidence: the NHL thinks tanking is widespread, is a problem, and the new draft format is smart.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There are better ways to punish tanking. For example you could make the team play in Buffalo.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

I think we can all agree that the draft lottery is good when it helps our team, and the draft lottery is bad when it hurts our team.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
The draft lottery did not help my team this year and overall I don't give a gently caress about this turn of non-events and/or the lottery.

That being said lol sorry Colorado dudes

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I was waiting for the Oilers to come out of nowhere and take the #1 spot again.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Gio posted:

if the objective is parity there is.

Only if you buy that the draft in a cap league with salary limits on individual contracts serves to create parity better than a free for all on all players that enter the league.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
It does because without a draft, it would be baseball where the Rangers/Chicago/Toronto/Detroit/Montreal/Pittsburgh would have the biggest salaries and the other teams would basically exist purely as feeder teams that compete once or twice a decade

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

How does that happen with a hard cap?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

How does that happen with a hard cap?

Because rookies want to be on teams that win.

Look at what the Blackhawks are doing.. they dangle the cup wins in front of some young hotshot, hand him a budget contract and get a couple years of play before they get a "real" contract and get shipped out.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Well I'm supremely disappointed with the draft lottery, at least this forces Benning and Co. To rebuild properly rather than just drafting a guy high and claiming it's done somehow.

It's gonna be a looooong season next year. Bring me Rasmus Dahlin.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

The best part about the Flyers getting the 2nd pick is that the inclusion of Vegas hurt their chances of getting a top 3 pick more than any other team.

:tastykake:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I hope Colorado, as a Central division member and Stan Kroenke-owned team, sucks rear end forever

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i hope for the genocide of all teams but mine.

you can kill ken holland though.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I've slept on it and now that I've calmed down I think I can say that hockey still sucks rear end

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

xzzy posted:

Because rookies want to be on teams that win.

Look at what the Blackhawks are doing.. they dangle the cup wins in front of some young hotshot, hand him a budget contract and get a couple years of play before they get a "real" contract and get shipped out.

If you don't change the length of control teams have over players entering the league but eliminate the draft, this wouldn't be viable for teams to do.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

If you don't change the length of control teams have over players entering the league but eliminate the draft, this wouldn't be viable for teams to do.
you're opening the door for shenanigans, tho. if only there were a system we could devise where the worst teams get first crack at the best incoming players. like a draft, or something.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yaya posted:

I've slept on it and now that I've calmed down I think I can say that hockey still sucks rear end

:yeah:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Losing this year's draft lottery is least of your concerns, nucks fans.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Canucks are taking the throne of the Oilers of the past 7 years so have fun with that. Eventually everyone will be mad about you hoovering up first picks!

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
As a fan of a team that's finished somewhere between 17th and 24th every year for the past 6 seasons now, the new draft lottery is actually cool and good

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Draft order should be points gained after official elimination.

I don't say this cause it would have given the Jets the first overall pick. It's cause it would give the Canucks the worst pick, and they were the second team officially eliminated

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Draft rules, Canucks drool.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
If you took one point from every team who missed the playoffs this year, and counted them up, you would be Carl Soderberg, tallying 14 points.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I believe Calgary picks 19th or 20th?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Zodijackylite posted:

If you took one point from every team who missed the playoffs this year, and counted them up, you would be Carl Soderberg, tallying 14 points.

How deep does the Soderberg hole go?

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
The hot takes in the last two pages are melting comets out past Neptune's orbit

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 30, 2017

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I believe Calgary picks 19th or 20th?

16th. They were the lowest seeded playoff team this year

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

A Typical Goon posted:

16th. They were the lowest seeded playoff team this year

They finished ahead of Nashville, so wouldn't it be 17th (some reason I thought Toronto had 93 pts and made it, they had 95)? They were WC 1, NSH was WC 2, so....

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I see the Red Wings are picking 9th. I hope those few wins in the absolute gutter of the season were worth it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They finished ahead of Nashville, so wouldn't it be 17th (some reason I thought Toronto had 93 pts and made it, they had 95)? They were WC 1, NSH was WC 2, so....

Nashville's gonna make the conference finals.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Hand Knit posted:

Nashville's gonna make the conference finals.

Omg tayne shut u.....waaaaait a second!

pearlvanice
Dec 25, 2012

The whole reason the draft exists in the first place is to keep rich teams from buying all the best talent and to depress individual player salaries. There's no reason for it in a salary cap league that also limits player contracts.

The Flyers tried this for years under Clarke, Homer, and Snider. It netted them 0 Stanley Cups.

You need a hard cap to help the smaller markets. If you have a soft cap you get the NBA where there are three franchises with real shots at the championship. Four or five good teams. The rest being total garbage.

Teemu Pokemon posted:

It does because without a draft, it would be baseball where the Rangers/Chicago/Toronto/Detroit/Montreal/Pittsburgh would have the biggest salaries and the other teams would basically exist purely as feeder teams that compete once or twice a decade

The NBA more than baseball. Baseball is now built around the building from within and keeping the stars on your roster. The NBA is just a feeder system.

The NFL tried handing rookies contracts with no limits and it was a disaster.

Giving rookies ELC's is fair. They have to earn the fat paycheck. If you play well you will get that big contract either from your team or another one in the league.

pearlvanice fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 1, 2017

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i am in favour of no draft, no contract limit and a hard cap (that takes into account all your contracts with no majors/minors contract value shenanigans) because that is the most hilarious scenario to enjoy incompetent managers like benning and sakic

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

xzzy posted:

Canucks are taking the throne of the Oilers of the past 7 years so have fun with that. Eventually everyone will be mad about you hoovering up first picks!

the canucks have never had a first overall and never will

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

JawKnee posted:

the canucks have never had a first overall and never will

Neither have the Flyers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU