Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
GLONTH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I suppose JT Krul's work is another victim of Rebirth. When will this madness end?!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Any time I see the word Bloodlines in something DC related I immediately lose interest. Did anyone even read the N52 one?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Any time I see the word Bloodlines in something DC related I immediately lose interest. Did anyone even read the N52 one?

Glonth gave Tommy Monaghan his powers so I'm just gonna assume this is a stealth Hitman relaunch.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

I probably would have and if it goes on sale would buy it.

But i'm broken and love dumbass obscure crossovers and characters and when they are revived.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't think anyone has brilliant memories of the original other than the birth of Hitman. Maybe Rhyno.
It's just a kick when they refer to something you'd expect would or should be locked away deep, probably in embarrassment.

Edit: Though he didn't really get the most out of doing that for Lord Havok.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 30, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bloodlines was god-fuckin-awful. Thank god Ennis carved out something decent with Tommy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Bloodlines was god-fuckin-awful. Thank god Ennis carved out something decent with Tommy.

I was wondering when you seemed excited about Glonth at the top of the page. I mean you just finished watching 10 seasons of Smallville there's no way to know what's going on with your head right now.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I think most of the good DC titles have been mentioned plenty of times but I think Suicide Squad is better than people give credit for. Rob Williams did a fantastically underrated run on Martian Manhunter and I think his work here is pretty good too - it's definitely the best run of Suicide Squad I've read in years (admittedly not saying much) and aside from the inconsistent art, which is at least consistent enough for each arc, I really like his take on all the characters and their banter. His Waller is also pretty solidly cold and manipulative and actually fat as opposed to New 52 where she was incredibly stupid.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Suicide Squad is really good but sadly the singles are very short. Half the book dedicated to story and other half dedicated to history makes it feel very short on both.
Also in regards to Bloodlines I just remember the annuals scaring the gently caress out of me as a young kid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I was wondering when you seemed excited about Glonth at the top of the page. I mean you just finished watching 10 seasons of Smallville there's no way to know what's going on with your head right now.

There's never any way to know what's going on in my head.

I also recently re-read Hitman from beginning to end. I couldn't tell you the names of any of those other monsters.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

Suicide Squad is really good but sadly the singles are very short. Half the book dedicated to story and other half dedicated to history makes it feel very short on both.
Also in regards to Bloodlines I just remember the annuals scaring the gently caress out of me as a young kid.

Recently they've been further parts to the story. The next JRJr first half would jump off of the last Eddy Barrows second half.
It's definitely to accommodate slow main artists, but I really like the format.

The comic is okay, but I liked the DCYou Seeley run better. The Juan Ferreyra art was really neat.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 30, 2017

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Madkal posted:

The most recent issue was a single storyline. I suspect the backups approach was to accommodate for Jim Lee but now that it's Tony Daniel/a new artist per arc they've been moving away from that format.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yea I am two issues behind on Suicide Squad so that explains that. I do like The team dynamics though one thing I like about the suicide squad is the idea of using more than just the mainstay villains for missions and I hope they explore that idea more in future issues. I do like that they have gone with the more spyish stuff lately and not just be one blow em up action team.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I already have way too much poo poo to read as is but I'm loving Kingdom Come and specifically it's reminding me a lot o Injustice. Maybe Injustice drew inspiration from it, I dunno. Anyway, both series have the "sales pitch" as Superman changing. That's the moneymaker. Superman the ideal brought down to reality. It's a good idea, it's why I love stories like Red Son or Marvel's Supreme Power.

And yet, the on who has really captivated me in these stories is Wonder Woman.

But...I've never read a Wonder Woman comic. With the movie coming out, I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for WW TPBs? I haven't read comics much but I hang out with a lot of people who do... I think Gail Simone and Greg Rucka are supposed to turn out some of the better WW stuff?

Also I wonder why Captain Marvel gets such a rough deal. Brainwashed by Luthor, brain burned out by Superman, he only gets one episode in Justice League even though it was a really awesome one... You figure you could do a lot of interesting things with a little kid who can become one of the strongest beings in the world.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 2, 2017

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
If Kingdom Come and Injustice Wonder Woman are what you find interesting then any of the highly recommended WW runs will probably not be what you want. The stories you read very, very strongly change her ethics and morals to warrior princess stuff rather than the peace loving diplomat people like Rucka and Perez strove to make her.

I think Captain Marvel only showed up in the JL cartoon once because of rights issues (iirc, same reason why he's not called Captain Marvel anymore).

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 2, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Two Tone Shoes posted:

If Kingdom Come and Injustice Wonder Woman are what you find interesting then any of the highly recommended WW runs will probably not be what you want. The stories you read very, very strongly change her ethics and morals to warrior princess stuff rather than the peace loving diplomat people like Rucka and Perez strove to make her.

Figures. I seem to be coming at everything from an rear end-backwards perspective.

This is kind of related... I'm arguing with someone on another site about DCEU Superman and regardless of the quality of the movies, there is no denying a lot of people hate that Superman based solely on what can only be described as ideology. DCEU Superman is not "their" Superman and so he is bad and wrong.

I tried comparing him to stuff I listed in my previous post, Red Son and Supreme Power. (Hyperion is Superman in all ways but name.) These were some of the first comics I ever read. I read them because they touched on ideas that captivated me. They question the nature of superheroes. I just finished reading Watchmen. Loved it, again because it questions what it means to be a superhero.

So when I see a work that challenges the idea of Superman - his humanity vs. his powers, his freedom vs. his obligations - I like it a lot. But apparently a lot of people don't.

I guess the same is true for Wonder Woman. Injustice and Kingdom Come are all about how she's failed at her job and so she's trying a new approach. She has a balancing act she must strike yet she tips over to the one extreme in the face of a bleak, unforgiving world.

But that's not her, anymore than Superman is a cynical story about how one guy with godlike powers can never know true happiness. Those are just alternate takes and not representative of the reality and the fact they are kind of my "introductions" to the characters give me a skewed idea of those characters.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 2, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
If you are curious about WW due the movie, I suggest you to get Azzarello's run. The movie takes more than a few elements from it and Azzarello focuses more on the warrior princess angle of Diana.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

NikkolasKing posted:

But...I've never read a Wonder Woman comic. With the movie coming out, I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for WW TPBs? I haven't read comics much but I hang out with a lot of people who do... I think Gail Simone and Greg Rucka are supposed to turn out some of the better WW stuff?
Every time someone asks for Wonder Woman recs, I always start out with a trade called "JLA: A League of One" by Christopher Moeller. It's a really good and really good-looking Wonder Woman story disguised as a JLA story, and the best part of it for newer readers is that it is completely newer-reader-friendly. No need to know anything particularly in-depth about Wonder Woman or DC Comics to be able to dive right into it (though, I suppose if you've read Kingdom Come then you've got a pretty good knowledge base already).

If you're looking for more character-defining TPB and don't mind reading stuff from the 80s, I'd suggest George Perez's "Gods and Mortals," which was the story that rebooted Wonder Woman after Crisis on Infinite Earths and is arguably the most..."cohesive"...take on the character to the point that I don't think anyone can totally "understand" post-Crisis WW without having perused it.

If you're looking for something a bit more modern and don't feel the need to get wrapped up in origin stories, then Rucka is a great place to go. Maybe start with "Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia," which is a standalone graphic novel that Rucka wrote before working on the monthly title, then move on to the TBDs "Down to Earth," "Bitter Rivals," then "Eyes of the Gorgon," in that order. Rucka is generally agreed to be one of the best things to happen to this character; his storylines, in retrospect, are a bit of a slow burn, but they absolutely friggin' burn.

To switch gears for a bit, I also definitely recommend "The Legend of Wonder Woman" by Renae de Liz. It's also a retelling of WW's origin, but set during the original World War II era, combines many elements of many other writers along with having some incredibly creative worldbuilding of its own, and is one of the most engaging takes on Wonder Woman's mythos I've read. I might honestly recommend it even above Rucka and Perez, if you had to pick just one of these runs to read.

On that note, Rucka's (to switch back) "Wonder Woman: Year One" TPB comes out tomorrow. It is...lol...yet another retelling of the origin story that's gonna be pretty familiar to everyone at this point (and especially after June), but the draw of "Year One" is that it's the origin that defines her status for DC: Rebirth and for the foreseeable future. So if you're at all interested in WW's current status quo, along with her general direction going forward, then you might give this a looksee. It's got Nicola Scott on art, and Nicola Scott was meant to draw this character.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
JLA: A League of One is fantastic and agreed, is a badass Diana story.

I would then go to Rucka's The Hiketeia, which is another completely standalone story and takes place just before Rucka's long monthly run, which is excellent.

Other WW storylines/comics/things I like, in no particular order:

- the Sensation Comics anthology - LOTS of great short stories
- Perez' run, which still completely holds up, is beautiful, and man, does he get Diana
- the earlier parts of the Messner-Loebs run, which brings Diana back down to street level, and has her working at a Not-Taco-Bell. It's just delightful. The comics become more action packed once Deodato comes on as a regular artist and Artemis becomes a main character, but they're still pretty drat good.
- M-L came back for the DC Retroactive: Wonder Woman-The '90s one-shot and it is just the best
- the "Gods of Gotham" arc (Phil Jimenez)
- the "Devastation" through "Godwar" arcs (Eric Luke)
- Manhunter 26-30 (sort of an epilogue to all the poo poo Diana went through at the end of Rucka's run/Infinite Crisis)
- Brave and the Bold #7 (WW/Power Girl team-up!) (Waid/Perez)
- Batwoman (New52) #12-14, 16-17. Gorgeous and stunning and jaw-dropping does not do justice to JHW3's art
- the recent 75th Anniversary one-shot was drat solid
- Legend of WW is amazing as said above
- spend some time just looking at Brian Bolland's and Adam Hughes' WW monthly covers because they're always incredible

I have complete WW reading orders for every single monthly run (including necessary tie-ins) from Perez all the way through Rebirth in case anyone wants them.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 2, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I read post crisis WW up to the garbage JMS run right before the new 52 rebooted everything and most of it is pretty good. There's high points, like the first parts with Perez, and towards the end, with Rucka and Gail Simone. There's also low points, like the JMS issues and some of the stuff with Deodato is solidly in the "bad girls" fad of the 90s with lots of broken spine poses, huge boobs, and legs that are 3/4 of a characters total height. But the good stuff is some of the best comics I've ever read - Rucka's in particular is both heartwarming and has probably the single most badass thing I've ever seen in a comic book.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

If you are curious about WW due the movie, I suggest you to get Azzarello's run. The movie takes more than a few elements from it and Azzarello focuses more on the warrior princess angle of Diana.

Eh, take this recommendation with a grain of salt. Other than tying Zeus to her origin, I'm not certain the movie draws that much from the Azzarello run, which made many controversial changes to her classic origin in order to tie her closer to Greek myth. I enjoyed the run overall, but it's as much a horror comic as it is a super hero one. Despite it being New 52 canon, I honestly feel it works better to view it as an Elseworld.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's a lot like the new Star Trek movies in that Azz's WW is an action packed, flashy reboot of a story that's usually much more thoughtful and focused on peaceful resolutions. It's good, the art is fantastic and it does epic action very well, but it's not a good representation of what the franchise actually is.

Reading it like an Elseworld is the best option since DC is retconning most of it away anyway.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

I'm piling on to recommend Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman run as well. As has been said, the focus is more on her as an ambassador of peace than as a warrior princess, but there's still plenty of action, and it feels more "earned" because when action happens it services the theme of Wonder Woman's pacifism being tested to its limits. The ambassador angle also gives her a really well-developed supporting cast. There are lots of connections to Greek mythology, a subject on which Rucka's knowledge is clearly very deep, and along with this come a lot of themes that are common in Greek mythology, such as the gods politicking among themselves and carelessly interfering in mortals' lives, and well-meaning people setting themselves up for tragedy.

The older TPBs of that run are out-of-print and hard to find, but DC is currently working on reprinting it in new editions. Volume One is currently available, and collects both the Hiketeia one-shot and the start of Rucka's stint on the main Wonder Woman ongoing (#195-205). Volume Two comes out in July and continues through Issue 217 of that run.

If you don't want to wait, the individual issues are all on Comixology as well (while Comixology doesn't have The Hiketeia individually, it does have it as part of that Rucka Volume One TPB). Rucka's run on the 1987-2006 series goes from #195 to 226, with a crossover in The Flash (1987) #219. The last stretch of the run also ties in very heavily with Countdown to Infinite Crisis, The OMAC Project, and Superman: Sacrifice, so you might want to find a reading list to get those in order if you make it that far into the run. All three of those are written either entirely or in part by Rucka himself, so it's surprisingly cohesive and maintains a good level of quality. All of that stuff then springboards into the main Infinite Crisis event, but that's a whole different can of worms and isn't necessary to your understanding of Rucka's Wonder Woman run at all.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

glitchwraith posted:

Despite it being New 52 canon, I honestly feel it works better to view it as an Elseworld.

Well I mean, at this point, isn't it? Rucka rewrote an origin and started his run going "Everything you thought you knew was a lie!" basically saying "nope, never happened" to Azzarello's changes.

Wait I'm sorry I guess that's that ker-razy Dr. Manhattan at work again :iamafag:

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Well I mean, at this point, isn't it? Rucka rewrote an origin and started his run going "Everything you thought you knew was a lie!" basically saying "nope, never happened" to Azzarello's changes.

Well, it was a retcon that has since been retconed, so the only thing separating it from an Elseworld is the fact that at one point it was in-continuity. I'm mainly recommending it as an Elseworld to stress how drastic it changed Wonder Woman's background, setting, and tone.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Azzarello's Wonder Woman is the best. Great cast, and the word play in the dialogue really sings.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It made Wesley Willis one of the pantheon. Any objections are obliterated.

edit:
https://www.comic-con.org/awards/eisner-awards-nominations-2017
DC Eisner noms:

quote:

Best Short Story
“Good Boy,” by Tom King and David Finch, in Batman Annual #1 (DC)

Best Continuing Series
Astro City, by Kurt Busiek and Brent Anderson (Vertigo/DC)

Best New Series
Clean Room, by Gail Simone and Jon Davis-Hunt (Vertigo/DC)
Deathstroke: Rebirth, by Christopher Priest, Carlo Pagulayan, et al. (DC)

Best Publication for Teens (ages 13-17)
Batgirl, by Hope Larson and Rafael Albuquerque (DC)

Best Reality-Based Work
Dark Night: A True Batman Story, by Paul Dini and Eduardo Risso (Vertigo/DC)

Best Graphic Album—New
Wonder Woman: The True Amazon by Jill Thompson (DC Comics)

Best Writer
Kurt Busiek, Astro City (Vertigo/DC)
Max Landis, Green Valley (Image/Skybound), Superman: American Alien (DC) :toot:

Best Painter/Multimedia Artist (interior art)
Jill Thompson, Wonder Woman: The True Amazon (DC); Beasts of Burden: What the
Cat Dragged In (Dark Horse)

Best Coloring
Laura Martin, Wonder Woman (DC); Ragnorak (IDW); Black Panther (Marvel)

Best Lettering
Todd Klein, Clean Room, Dark Night, Lucifer (Vertigo/DC); Black Hammer (Dark Horse)

Deathstroke is a weird one. I like it, but I'm guessing Priest's name did the carrying.
Shoulda been The Flintstones:ninja:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 2, 2017

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Teenage Fansub posted:

It made Wesley Willis one of the pantheon. Any objections are obliterated.

Don't want to emptyquote so I'll just add that Zack Snyder's Superman strays too far from the root of the character, and furthermore only stars in trash movies for garbage people.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dreqqus posted:

Don't want to emptyquote so I'll just add that Zack Snyder's Superman strays too far from the root of the character, and furthermore only stars in trash movies for garbage people.

I think emptyquoting is allowed now but honestly I hope you get banned for this

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Sorry thst I think that Zack Snyder makes bad movies, and that I chose to share that in an acerbic, but intended to be humorous fashion.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If I never see an argument about the DCEU ever again, it'll be too soon

Roth fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 2, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dreqqus posted:

Sorry thst I think that Zack Snyder makes bad movies, and that I chose to share that in an acerbic, but intended to be humorous fashion.

1 - This isn't the thread for that
2 - This isn't some bold opinion that needs to be defended at all costs, it's the way I'd say the majority feels
3 - This is an issue that leaks into and infects so many other threads that it's become a real nuisance
4 - Nobody wants to hear about this topic anymore

In conclusion, just don't. Not here. Not in the Funny Panel Thread. Not in the TV Thread. Not even in the BSS Movie Thread. We're all so tired of this.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Understood. Question regarding the Eisners: for the best writer/artist awards are they based on everything that creator did that year or specific pieces, like the Oscars?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lots of good comics out tomorrow!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Shocking no one, Superman remains a very strong comic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tom King had sole writing credit on the first Batman part of The Button, but only co-plotting on this one, and I think it shows.
It's kinda sad to see the nine-panel grids and weirdo storytelling methods go away as he handed the reigns to Williamson.
It's not terrible. It's interesting that they saw the JLs founding in the 40's last Flash issue and all that, but for me it feels like a let down after the striking first comic.

edit: \/ Whatever, Grampa!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 3, 2017

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Tom King had sole writing credit on the first Batman part of The Button, but only co-plotting on this one, and I think it shows.
It's kinda sad to see the nine-panel grids and weirdo storytelling methods go away as he handed the reigns to Williamson.
It's not terrible. It's interesting that they saw the JLs founding in the 40's last Flash issue and all that, but for me it feels like a let down after the striking first comic.

JL's thing was in the 60s. Barry didn't even exist in the 40s.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Spoiler-tagging The Button Part 3 just in case...

As someone who thought Convergence came tantalizingly close to a genuine character moment with Bruce & Thomas Wayne meeting face to face, I enjoyed this issue plenty. I have a feeling King will capitalize on that "Don't be Batman" commandment as soon as the Jokes & Riddles story is over. I'm relieved that we won't have Bat-Grandpa running the show. Flash running on the Cosmic Treadmill while Batman just kinda glides in place like a seagull on the breeze is funny. The next issue's delay had better be worth it, though! You can't just throw chapter titles like "HAND OF GOD" around, especially when one of your recent hits repeatedly quoted William James to dramatic effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hey guys. This week I decided to read some new books. At the moment, I'm reading Superman, Deathstroke, Titans, Teen Titans, Super Sons, and a bunch of poo poo from Marvel. Anything from Rebirth that I'm missing and should be reading with my eyeballs?

Also why can't Super Sons double ship. That book is so good and I hate having to wait to see what poo poo Jon and Damian are getting into. This is the Trunk's/Goten book I always wanted to cop. (Get on it Toriyama!)