Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Voice chat in this game has been a really fun experience. My push to talk button doesn't work, but I've definitely gotten plenty of laughs from the poo poo other people say or the stupid meme youtubes people play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
What'd be interesting is if they instituted a voice recognition software that would detect racial slurs and the like and put a giant "I'M RIGHT HERE COME SHOOT ME" pointer above the person.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What'd be interesting is if they instituted a voice recognition software that would detect racial slurs and the like and put a giant "I'M RIGHT HERE COME SHOOT ME" pointer above the person.

You'd run into the same problem as the text recognition stuff. I'm pretty sure the edgelords will come up with a new and interesting way to say "|\|1gg3|2" out of spite. I say mute them all and let god sort'em out.

And they should really make seasonal maps. The spring map should be fyrefest.

Gr4vyB04t fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 30, 2017

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Doorknob Slobber posted:

fire should spread so you can burn down buildings

I want Bad Company's building destruction so you can blow buildings open with grenades

That or Red Faction Gurilea's building destruction so you can drive a UAZ through a building and pull the entire thing down :black101:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Songbearer posted:

I want Bad Company's building destruction so you can blow buildings open with grenades

That or Red Faction Gurilea's building destruction so you can drive a UAZ through a building and pull the entire thing down :black101:

"There was one guy, but he don't shoot no more. A brutal son of a bitch. Most boys shoot to kill. He'd shoot to wound, wait till his friends come to help, kill them too. Turned one target into four. Men, women, children. Killed them by the hundreds. The other side wanted him. Bad. Finally narrowed his hide down to an abandoned six-story building. They quit the subtle tactics. They called in an artillery strike. Leveled a square block. Brought the building down on his rear end. Some say he crawled out of there. Some say he died. Never heard from him no more."

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
I play on OC servers only and I dont think ive ever heard anyone use the n word.

Mosty its all 'Hey look, its a preorder human being' or 'Angus, get on skype'.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Copper For Lyfe posted:

I play on OC servers only and I dont think ive ever heard anyone use the n word.

OC ain't North America. Believe me, the slurs are real.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

AnElegantPeacock posted:

OC ain't North America. Believe me, the slurs are real.

I just got this game today. First solo pregame lobby I queue into:

Guy constantly asking people "Do you suck n*** dick?" and saying they sound 12 years old
Guy blasting meme music
Guy constantly repeating "China number one"
Me immediately looking for the disable voice chat option

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I love that stuff. It makes me feel good to get to know my respected peers and fellow gaming comrades.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So many Chinese players on the Asian servers who aren't even sneaky about teaming. You can hear them on the mic coordinating their jumps almost every game.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

AnElegantPeacock posted:

And they should really make seasonal maps. The spring map should be fyrefest.

lol that would actually be pretty funny

I like muting voice chat during the start and enabling it in game cause I've had some funny moments when I'm chasing dudes with crowbars and stuff early game. And I sometimes apologize to people I kill when its BS or they just have bad luck but thats the canadian coming out

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Bardeh posted:

Queue Euro servers - there's a dude crawling on the ground singing 'I'm a snakey snake, come and join my snakey snake line'. 20 people join the snake line, laughing and chatting. :3:

I've seen this as well. EU server is generally really quiet or people doing silly snake things. One time there was a guy blasting lines from the bandits in STALKER so the plane was full of CHEEKI BREEKI every few seconds it was pretty great.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
just pulled the trigger and bought this on steam. Hopefully I won't regret it, but the premise seems really fun. How does it work? As soon as you are killed, you are just straight up eliminated from that game?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

just pulled the trigger and bought this on steam. Hopefully I won't regret it, but the premise seems really fun. How does it work? As soon as you are killed, you are just straight up eliminated from that game?

Unless you're in a duo or squad, yes. Otherwise you get to spectate them.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Copper For Lyfe posted:

The most surprising part of this post is people still using Skype.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Studio posted:

The most surprising part of this post is people still using Skype.

You'd be surprised; Im 31 and know people almost ten years younger than me who have no clue about anything other than Skype.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Party Plane Jones posted:

Also if you're in a squad, if you're shot to the point you'd be killed you (Usually) enter a downed state where teammates can revive you.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

tehinternet posted:

You'd be surprised; Im 31 and know people almost ten years younger than me who have no clue about anything other than Skype.

This is kinda me when I see everyone using Discord. My guys and I all use Teamspeak like it's 2007 still lol

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Teamspeak is fine if you're using the top end codec, otherwise it sounds like rear end.

The most annoying thing with BattlEye enabled games is the overlays for VOIP don't work with them.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
After seeing a post on Reddit, I decided to turn everything up to Ultra on my i5 4590 / GTX 1060 system....and it runs better than with everything on Very Low. Only the explosions from the Airstrikes seems to cause major frame dips. I'm guessing this is something to do with more work being offloaded to my GPU, so the CPU has less to do, but it's still very weird. The only negative thing is that the inside of buildings are really goddamn dark with shadows cranked all the way up.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Bardeh posted:

After seeing a post on Reddit, I decided to turn everything up to Ultra on my i5 4590 / GTX 1060 system....and it runs better than with everything on Very Low. Only the explosions from the Airstrikes seems to cause major frame dips. I'm guessing this is something to do with more work being offloaded to my GPU, so the CPU has less to do, but it's still very weird. The only negative thing is that the inside of buildings are really goddamn dark with shadows cranked all the way up.

Textures are the only thing that'll produce a huge effect on framerate in my experience. Crank that and view distance up, everything else can be low, that way you can keep the ridiculous fullbright houses.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It is really nice how you can just jump right into another game and aren't locked into the whole match.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
When you leave instead of spectating, do you still get your loot box currency when the game eventually ends?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bohemian Nights posted:

When you leave instead of spectating, do you still get your loot box currency when the game eventually ends?

I seem to recall still getting it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Day 2 of this game and got my first Solo queue win! Got one of the first kills in the game, and the last, and nothing in between. I spent most of the games hiding in the ruins, being chased by a guy for like 10 minutes who I think got zoned out, and then growing roots in tall grass and getting SUPER lucky with the zones.

The solo game is really some skill to survive to the end and then a whole lot of luck in how the zones treat you. I think the duo and squad queues are the "real" game, as those take real strategy and communication.

I also think most of the time getting in a vehicle is reckless unless you need to run from the langoliers.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The last couple zones are generally an absolute mad dash because they'll either kill you instantly or they'll kill you within 5 seconds if you don't get into them. So if you have a car still at that point (and it isn't on some inaccessible mountain), you are generally in prime position to choose where you want to abandon the car and set up shop.

Plus if you get a car early you can just go through every pissant town really quick for supplies and high tail it out of there within 45 seconds like a well planned bank robbery.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEJOM2lxjdk

I'm shooting with an S12k cause my other gun was an SKS with a 4x. Also that second shot was terrible cause my buddy turned the car, I swear...

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
The importance of information when you can't actually see your targets is huge!
Helps to also have a big gun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oGvJ96Wbwg

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Won a match in a wheat field by using strategic bushes:
https://streamable.com/31nsn

Bonus, I survived accidentally hitting the Windows key amazingly.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got my first two kills then immediately had to run out to do something and forgot to frag myself instead of just quiting.

Steel feels good to have actually been able to land in a good area get good gear and take out two guys. Even if I'm pretty sure one guy was stuck in inventory.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Won a match in a wheat field by using strategic bushes:
https://streamable.com/31nsn

Bonus, I survived accidentally hitting the Windows key amazingly.

Just won my first solo game via the strategic bush tactic too. The circle was REALLY tiny, and there were about 3 of us all in our own strategic shrub. Luckily they shot first and gave away their positions.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I feel like I'm not understanding something very fundamental about looting in this game, like everyone's a little quicker/luckier doing docks/school drops and that best case scenario I'm doing Metal Gear Solid sneaking missions in the podunk liminal space between Real Locations for the first half of the game and then getting my Real Loot off a dude's corpse after the obligatory one shotgun kill.

At least solo I can spend that first half being vewy vewy qwiet while getting my scraps. Playing with buddies is painful because my BFFs get in this weird place where they're all gung-ho to fight for the first few minutes scrambling after the drop, and then they're like "iron sights m16 with 60 rounds? no armor, no helmet, no first aid but the circle is closing on us? time to camp stairs for 20 minutes baby!!"

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Willie Tomg posted:

I feel like I'm not understanding something very fundamental about looting in this game, like everyone's a little quicker/luckier doing docks/school drops and that best case scenario I'm doing Metal Gear Solid sneaking missions in the podunk liminal space between Real Locations for the first half of the game and then getting my Real Loot off a dude's corpse after the obligatory one shotgun kill.

At least solo I can spend that first half being vewy vewy qwiet while getting my scraps. Playing with buddies is painful because my BFFs get in this weird place where they're all gung-ho to fight for the first few minutes scrambling after the drop, and then they're like "iron sights m16 with 60 rounds? no armor, no helmet, no first aid but the circle is closing on us? time to camp stairs for 20 minutes baby!!"

http://imgur.com/a/N1ZUA

Consult that map, drop into a good area, learn what things look like so you don't spend 10 seconds inspecting everything you come across. If you use tab and drag the items over you skip the pickup animation. Sprint everywhere.

If you've got space, just pick a bunch of poo poo up and drop it later when you have time to figure out what you actually need.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Fauxshiz posted:

http://imgur.com/a/N1ZUA

Consult that map, drop into a good area, learn what things look like so you don't spend 10 seconds inspecting everything you come across. If you use tab and drag the items over you skip the pickup animation. Sprint everywhere.

If you've got space, just pick a bunch of poo poo up and drop it later when you have time to figure out what you actually need.

Okay so A) holy gently caress thank you that map is perfect and B) You mean opening the inventory menu and dragging stuff manually? The pickup "sweet spot" is so janky and laggy, I can kinda get behind that tbh

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
That's not the most recent version of the map, this is:

I won my most recent one by jumping on a boat (plane started below the bottom island) and going to fish town, then going inland on foot.

Previous wins have started at or nearby the hospital at Georgopol; it's such a good spot for loot that if its out of the way of the initial circle you can loot it yourself (if you find an early vehicle) and get fully geared before heading out.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

I have been seeing a lot of people without shoes lately. Is it actually quieter or is it just a different sound?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Willie Tomg posted:

A good strategy that works in all game types is to look at the back of the plane and see how many people are dropping. Look at the path of the plane, consult your loot map and try to go to either a guaranteed car ride (to get to somewhere with high loot off the flight path quickly) or to get somewhere where fewer people have dropped.

After that, land, loot and always be aware of your surroundings. The alt button is your best friend. Always try to be in a position where you can see your potential flanking areas. Always listen for footsteps. Always be aware of where the original flight path was, where the circle is and where the circle is going; if possible I like to get on the edge of the circle furthest from the flight path (thus least likely to have players there) then work my way in from there.

Basically this entire game is about situational awareness. If you can be aware of where you are, where enemies are likely to be and where the circle is going, you're going to be at least moderately successful.

Oh and unless you're playing solo, don't take potshots at people far away unless you're 100 sure that you can down them AND secure the kill -I've had it take 4 SKS hits to down someone and 3 additional hits to kill them. Engaging at long range is almost always a bad idea.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

SaltPig posted:

I have been seeing a lot of people without shoes lately. Is it actually quieter or is it just a different sound?

I think its louder, if anything.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Gunder posted:

Just won my first solo game via the strategic bush tactic too. The circle was REALLY tiny, and there were about 3 of us all in our own strategic shrub. Luckily they shot first and gave away their positions.

After a few games I've also discovered the value in bush tactics. I've followed this as a guide for combat in open fields:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zekiZYSVdeQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

SaltPig posted:

Personally I just like jumping into battle wearing only my underoos and Very Grown Up Batman Belt and looking different each round

• Locked thread