Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

DarkRefreshment posted:

I.... I can't even... :facepalm:

They had one of the biggest public failures of management, marketing and promotions since CIG and their solution?? Let's do it next year. I am literally shocked.

It's like United airlines saying we can totally overbook again soon and drag the guy off the plane better next time.

Funny thing you brought up airlines. A lot of parallels with their mileage programs, how much the miles are worth, how much they poo poo on the frequent fliers, how the miles can be redeemed, etc.

It is actually a perfect analogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
:rip:

https://www.reddit.com/user/zecumbe

is this old

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yes, but still fun to laugh at.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Huh. CIG's ex facilities manager commented on LinkedIn that she had a manager (not sure it was CIG but it makes sense) threaten to snap her neck because she insisted that they install plenum rated network cable, whatever that is.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Huh. CIG's ex facilities manager commented on LinkedIn that she had a manager (not sure it was CIG but it makes sense) threaten to snap her neck because she insisted that they install plenum rated network cable, whatever that is.

They're cables that don't kill you with poisonous gasses if there's a fire.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

Reddit has another thread about the SPACEDOOR and the most upvoted comment is this:

Find: 'garage' - 32 occurrences

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Boxturret posted:

They're cables that don't kill you with poisonous gasses if there's a fire.

and required by the fire marshall for in-wall cabling.

But it is marginally more expensive, so story checks out.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

I can't wait until rockstar releases read dead 2 in 2024

oh wait no its like in the next 6 months

Prob the only game i am honestly looking forward to this year :gizz:, played the hell outta red dead and undead nightmare both the SP and MP parts of the game.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Christ, unless running a few miles of the stuff why would this be a concern? Run plenum, not much more in the grand scheme of things. (Meaning you get some rear end in a top hat fire inspector, building inspector, etc.) to ruin your day. It is CYA insurance.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I can't even begin to fathom why anyone would get so mad or heated about something like that, that they would threaten to harm somebody else over it. Even with the expenses angle. That is not someone who should be in charge of any human beings, regardless of who they work for.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I can't even begin to fathom why anyone would get so mad or heated about something like that, that they would threaten to harm somebody else over it. Even with the expenses angle. That is not someone who should be in charge of any human beings, regardless of who they work for.

Are we talking about that black lady they started parading in front of cameras around the time that Sandi was accused of being a massive racist, in the press? I'm pretty sure she was a facilities manager. They only kept her on camera until Money got hired and then she disappeared, her role as token person of color fulfilled forever. If that's who's speaking here, there's little doubt in my mind who she's speaking about.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Samizdata posted:

ALSO IT IS NOT TWO COMPLETE GAMES! IT IS, AT BEST, 1.5 GAMES!

This goes further than just the semantic argument about how much of the game(s) CIG has finished.

Remember that the entire conceit of Star Citizen is that it's a real-time game set in a realistic universe, with entirely unified design. You are the spaceman controlling your spaceship, and all that jazz. That's the entire point. The guys having dogfights are in the same play area as the guys in the cargo bay shooting each other, which are in the same play area as the dudes on the surface of the space station shooting at each other FPS-style.

That's what Star Citizen promised to be. When the backers attempt to defend CIG by saying "They're making two entire games!!!" they're actually completely missing the point of the entire project they backed. That's a significant amount of disrespect to show a company that they've decided to worship to the degree that they have.

As with so many things Star Citizen, there is a built-in contradiction in play as well. The phrase "they're making two games" is both wrong and right at the same time. It's wrong in that it was never CIG's plan to split the game up into pieces - one unified engine was supposed to handle everything with no loading screens and no transitions. It's right in the sense that, in reality, CIG is attempting to make 2 games (more than 2 actually, but that's another story) because they were too loving inept to get their original plans off the ground in any meaningful way.

What they've developed so far is complete and utter F- poo poo as well, so no matter how many "games" they're supposed to be making, Chris would probably be better off just blowing his backers directly and calling it a day.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It saddens me to have any of our astronauts, or their missions, compared to Star Citizen. The crew of the Challenger gave their lives in pursuit of bettering our world and expanding our knowledge. They were a source of inspiration to our nation. The catastrophic loss of real heroes who were brave enough to actually attempt something incredibly difficult and dangerous is the exact opposite of *anything* ever associated with that sleaze bag used car salesman.

Roberts best claim to fame if his ludicrous project was successful would be that he made an overly complicated video game.
The people on the ground hosed up and the commandos paid the price. Seems like a fairly accurate analogy except for the part where the shuttle actually launched.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Paging AdmzAdama! I think Lethality would blend well with that sort of artwork.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It saddens me to have any of our astronauts, or their missions, compared to Star Citizen. The crew of the Challenger gave their lives in pursuit of bettering our world and expanding our knowledge. They were a source of inspiration to our nation. The catastrophic loss of real heroes who were brave enough to actually attempt something incredibly difficult and dangerous is the exact opposite of *anything* ever associated with that sleaze bag used car salesman.

Roberts best claim to fame if his ludicrous project was successful would be that he made an overly complicated video game.

Star Citizen would be like Challenger if the launch took a decade and the entire world was screaming at the engineers that it was going to explode on liftoff but they just refuse to listen because of all the amazing things they'll find in orbit

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Space Crabs posted:

Star Citizen would be like Challenger if the launch took a decade and the entire world was screaming at the engineers that it was going to explode on liftoff but they just refuse to listen because of all the amazing things they'll find in orbit

Starring: Bob Ebeling, as Derek Smart

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Can you take a screenshot?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mirificus posted:

BINGO! I GOT A BINGO!

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Jobbo_Fett posted:

BINGO! I GOT A BINGO!

Occam's Razor says that you're Quilnux.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 30, 2017

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Sarsapariller posted:

Are we talking about that black lady they started parading in front of cameras around the time that Sandi was accused of being a massive racist, in the press? I'm pretty sure she was a facilities manager. They only kept her on camera until Money got hired and then she disappeared, her role as token person of color fulfilled forever. If that's who's speaking here, there's little doubt in my mind who she's speaking about.

I dunno maybe Sandi got told she was the lynch-pin of the whole operation and misunderstood.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Scruffpuff posted:

With Chris Roberts, the equation has always been the same: the more money he gets, the more money he needs. The reason in 2017 is the same as the reason was in 1998 - Chris Roberts knows nothing about game development. For every dollar he takes in, he promises ten dollars worth of features. Therefore, the more money he makes, the farther the game gets pushed back.
Star Citizen: The only winning move is not to pay.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I haven't followed this since page 847. My main question is this: have they topped spending backer money on a spaceship door in their office and a replica star trek chair for their lead dev?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

I was just thinking that there's good chance that CIG/ Crobbert's saved that Fyre Fest letter of apology to use as template for their inevitable failure.

Your version is probably really close to what I'm expecting to happen.

I'd probably also include the "Then something amazing happened:" because I do believe Crobbers is that much of a thumb that he'll claim backers still support and root for his released hot trash -- and to be fair there are quite a few shills and dolts in their backer base -- while (hopefully) the majority of the people whose (delusional, yes) dreams got crushed will be requesting his head on a spike or something.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 30, 2017

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
WHEN CHARACTER SALUTED HIS FEET WENT INTO THE AIR

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Go into friends conni
2 walk around
3 pull pistol out
4 salute

ACTUAL RESULT
I tried to salute and my feet went up into the air

EXPECTED RESULT
i expected to salute

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

AP posted:

[url="https:///community/issue-council/star-citizen-alpha/SC-40963-When_character_saluted_his_feet_went_into_the_air"]WHEN CHARACTER SALUTED HIS FEET WENT INTO THE AIR[/url]

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Go into friends conni
2 walk around
3 pull pistol out
4 salute

ACTUAL RESULT
I tried to salute and my feet went up into the air

EXPECTED RESULT
i expected to salute

o7

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Star Citizen: o7//

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Virtual Captain posted:

:golfclap:

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Virtual Captain posted:

Looks more like it should be \\o7

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

https://gfycat.com/CooperativeUnequaledIslandwhistler

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

Female avatars confirmed. Miley Cyrus 1.0
My anus is twinges with anticipation

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It saddens me to have any of our astronauts, or their missions, compared to Star Citizen. The crew of the Challenger gave their lives in pursuit of bettering our world and expanding our knowledge.

I fully agree. NASA jokes are quite offensive.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

lol, I remember " a few" pages back discussing this pilot is really the ship, re-spawning avatar in a lost corner of the PU poo poo. Man.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

In space, no one can hear you fart. But they sure as poo poo can see your arse wobble.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

ManofManyAliases posted:

One of the first things I gather from my limited experience in software development, especially for CIG's game, is that in Agile development, you design the UI first so that you know what to program for.
You are wrong. The only person I have ever heard say build the frontend first also included the disclaimer that it should be rudimentary and just give a basic idea of the end product.
This is somewhat facilitated by the division of frontend and backend in web development. What you should not ever do is spend 3+ years pixel perfecting ship assets of all shapes and sizes. It still blows my mind that in alpha there is anything other than flying rectangles or greyboxes. Can you even change ship weapon loadouts in Star Citizen? Or would that require a whole new model because they don't have any kind of modularity beyond skins?

Obviously jpeg waving has done miraculous things for CIGs bottom line; but that could probably have been accomplished just as easily with a small team of concept artists. Maya/3DsMax is Chris' comfort zone and when CryEngine didn't facilitate the features Star Citizen required, it was easier to work on 3D models than building features.

quote:

“Building the front end of an application is like putting together a house of cards,” Treeline co-founder and CEO Mike McNeil told me during an interview today. “You have to keep track of a bunch of parts and make a series of precise moves in order to build something that actually looks like a structure. It’s difficult to set up, but if you mess up, the fallout isn’t that bad. Building the backend, however, is like stacking wine glasses: it’s not that hard, but if you make a mistake it’s a bigger issue to deal with.”

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

o7//

thread delivers yet again

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

https://zippy.gfycat.com/CooperativeUnequaledIslandwhistler.webm
just so it gets embedded properly

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
That's some fine precision muscle control

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
tres erotik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.