Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I thought that the idea of these alien things can mimic anything and so nothing is safe and your character must bash everything with a wrench like some sort of Dead Space loon was enough to carry the demo. The veneer shattering scene was amazing. I have very little reverence for System Shock, but I thought this was a good halfway point. The whole thing was very tense and I'm looking forward to the full release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

For what it's worth, the criticisms of the bad controls only seem to affect the PS4 demo, not the XB1 demo from what others said. Still doesn't inspire a lot of confidence when the more popular system seems to be getting a more broken version of the game though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm gonna hold off on reviews so I won't be pre-ordering, but it initially looks to be entirely my jam. Cool techno soundtrack (the music I make is a similar genre so obviously I'll have a taste for it), System Shock gameplay throwback, and actually creative and interesting enemy designs.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Sakurazuka posted:

Try the Prey demo because it's, uh, not great.

I liked it at first, but then serious combat with the little crawlie things happened and no amount of style could save it for me.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Yeah I did get a sorta nervous feeling that it was gonna have Bioshock aiming syndrome, with wiggly assholes that dodge your projectiles just by juking constantly in their run animation.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Jukebox Hero posted:

Yeah I did get a sorta nervous feeling that it was gonna have Bioshock aiming syndrome, with wiggly assholes that dodge your projectiles just by juking constantly in their run animation.

They don't just wiggle; they warp behind you, a lot. Melee combat with large groups on PS4 is an absolute misery and they didn't give me much in the way of sneaking opportunities. I was super disappointed, because it looks so gooooooood.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Well, let's hope they don't use mimics the entire game and they're not showing off the like one or two cool things they've thought of and the game is full of variation and different cool stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

mysterious frankie posted:

They don't just wiggle; they warp behind you, a lot. Melee combat with large groups on PS4 is an absolute misery and they didn't give me much in the way of sneaking opportunities. I was super disappointed, because it looks so gooooooood.

Apparently the aiming lag is a bug on PS4 which will be fixed for release but Dishonored 2 had the same 'bug' and is still unfixed six months later.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Jukebox Hero posted:

Well, let's hope they don't use mimics the entire game and they're not showing off the like one or two cool things they've thought of and the game is full of variation and different cool stuff.

I still hold out hope for it, but this was not a good introduction.

Sakurazuka posted:

Apparently the aiming lag is a bug on PS4 which will be fixed for release but Dishonored 2 had the same 'bug' and is still unfixed six months later.

That's good to hear!

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm really hoping for Prey to be good. I'm worried about the combat since the enemy seems to be amorphous black goop monsters. That can't be fun to fight. Not even humanoid black goop monsters. It reminds me of that awful trailer for Xcom before the real strategy game came out and saved the day. But hey, I loved System Shock 2 and it's not known for it's combat either. Circle strafe the Many and beat them with a wrench. Good 'nuff. If it's going for enviromental survival and paranoia of every object in the room it could work.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

1stGear posted:

Little Nightmares is deeply uncomfortable and relentlessly tense. Its great, go buy it.

I watched a stream of Little Nightmares last night. Puzzle platformers aren't my thing, so I didn't feel like playing it, but it looked fantastic. The dinner scene was unbelievably intense. I got a "Spirited Away" vibe from the whole game, especially that part when I realized that the entire ship was a pleasure barge type of thing for these blobby people-like monsters. I didn't like the ending though. I'm tired of horror games thinking they can deliver crazy scene after crazy scene and think it excuses them from writing an ending. The ride getting there was fantastic, but the "open to interpretation" endings just feel lazy. Inside had the same problem.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So after finishing Resident Evil 7 I'm kind of surprised at how it wasn't really that frightening - other than the jump scares, which got me every goddamn time, I felt more repulsed and uneasy than scared. I don't see that as a bad thing though, as the environmental design is disgusting in the best possible way without feeling gratuitous. Even the freezer full of body parts felt horrible rather than over the top, and I could almost feel the tetanus setting in when creeping out some areas.

I dunno, it's a weird one.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Doesn't the same thing happen with blockbuster films these days? "Oh, it's ONLY dozens of millions of dollars, thus a failure." :rolleyes:

RE7 is amazing, doesn't rely on rape for a plot device, and if Jack Baker isn't in the next Marvel vs Capcom I will be super-bummed.

When these big companies project their earnings they factor in everything. So Resident Evil doesn't just have to cover itself, it needs to make up for everything else. Street Fighter 5 flopped pretty hard and I have no idea what else Capcom is propped up on.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

al-azad posted:

When these big companies project their earnings they factor in everything. So Resident Evil doesn't just have to cover itself, it needs to make up for everything else. Street Fighter 5 flopped pretty hard and I have no idea what else Capcom is propped up on.

Marvel v Capcom Infinite is starting to "leak" footage and a couple trailers dropped in the last week or two. Chris Redfield is featured pretty prominently in one of them (he's beefslab huge too) so my bet is MvC.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Outlast 2 ending was terrible. I won't spoil it but you basically have to google what it means because it's nonsensical, explained in a memo in another game's DLC, and totally resolved off-screen

vainman fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 29, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

al-azad posted:

Monster Hunter but that's finally reached saturation point and XX sold half as many copies as X in the same time in Japan.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

vainman posted:

Outlast 2 ending was terrible. I won't spoil it but you basically have to google what it means because it's nonsensical, explained in a memo in another game's DLC, and totally resolved off-screen

I will never play it. Spoil it. I imagine it's something to do with...the nanomachine brain monster from Outlast 1?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Bogart posted:

I will never play it. Spoil it. I imagine it's something to do with...the nanomachine brain monster from Outlast 1?

I explained it earlier in one of my things about the game.

Wife gives not-actual-birth to a baby, your guy holds it up to her and she goes "There's nothing there.... blech" and dies, it was really a psychosomatic pregnancy which is something that can happen when you're around the power of the nanomachine ghost, which is something you only know in this series anyway because it was mentioned in a complete throwaway memo in the first game. Also fat prophet guy cuts his own throat after a dumb spiel and what was frying everyone around's brains was really a Jackoff Corporation "cellphone tower" someone found.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 30, 2017

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

One memo that you can easily miss says a nearby radio tower has been sending out microwave signals to make everyone go crazy for some reason. That's the big twist.

Your pregnant wife isn't actually pregnant, a feature of the microwave signal is that nearby women go through really speedy fake pregnancies and die (this information is relayed in one memo in Whistleblower and if you didn't play that game or don't remember, you just don't get to know what happened). Note that this doesn't affect any of the other women and is made more confusing because you and the fat prophet bad guy can both see a baby, but your wife can't.

All of the major villains except the prophet die in a big storm at the end of the game which takes out the tower. The prophet cuts his throat because he can't hear the voice of God anymore. You never visit the tower or have anything to do with bringing it down so I had to search YouTube to figure out what happened and why every problem was suddenly solved.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I get the feeling that they really, really want to have a dark souls style following where people pour over memos and stuff to find the story but it doesn't work

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

It doesn't help they made memos so bad this time.

Every other one you find is either "The Gospel of Fatlord VOL. XXIV" or it's "These fuckin heretic fucks I tell you, the lord loves you and I love you, but destroy these evil pigfuck sons of whores heretical motherfuckers ramble ramble the lord loves you"

Not like cursing bothers me, but Outlast II acts like a kid who learned a fun new swear sometimes.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 30, 2017

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Thread favourite John Wolfe just finished his play-through and his opinion was overall positive. Not as good as Whistle Blower, but on part with Outlast 1 for the most part. He actually found it tame compared to the other two games and thought the could have made it more condensed and kept the action going longer with less pauses for school or rafting.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Yardbomb posted:

It doesn't help they made memos so bad this time.

Every other one you find is either "The Gospel of Fatlord VOL. XXIV" or it's "These fuckin heretic fucks I tell you, the lord loves you and I love you, but destroy these evil pigfuck sons of whores heretical motherfuckers ramble ramble the lord loves you"

Not like cursing bothers me, but Outlast II acts like a kid who learned a fun new swear sometimes.

or the developer's favorite "gently caress I am soooooooo horny right now. like I'm unbelievably wet wow holy poo poo"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

vainman posted:

One memo that you can easily miss says a nearby radio tower has been sending out microwave signals to make everyone go crazy for some reason. That's the big twist.

Your pregnant wife isn't actually pregnant, a feature of the microwave signal is that nearby women go through really speedy fake pregnancies and die (this information is relayed in one memo in Whistleblower and if you didn't play that game or don't remember, you just don't get to know what happened). Note that this doesn't affect any of the other women and is made more confusing because you and the fat prophet bad guy can both see a baby, but your wife can't.

All of the major villains except the prophet die in a big storm at the end of the game which takes out the tower. The prophet cuts his throat because he can't hear the voice of God anymore. You never visit the tower or have anything to do with bringing it down so I had to search YouTube to figure out what happened and why every problem was suddenly solved.

I hope all of this is true because I'm nearly in tears laughing

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Danaru posted:

I hope all of this is true because I'm nearly in tears laughing

100% the truth.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Good thing I decided to hold off on Outlast 2 until a sale, it sounds like something I'd never really care to play anyways. I'll just wait for Prey 2 to release next Friday :toot:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Good thing I decided to hold off on Outlast 2 until a sale, it sounds like something I'd never really care to play anyways. I'll just wait for Prey 2 to release next Friday :toot:

Its just Prey and if you're hoping for a sequel to the 2006 game I have goodterrible news for you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
In a genre that tends to be populated by ambiguous, psychologically unnerving games or jumpscare facecam fodder, I sort of appreciate Outlast as a series that just does everything it can to be really, really tastelessly gross.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Oxxidation posted:

In a genre that tends to be populated by ambiguous, psychologically unnerving games or jumpscare facecam fodder, I sort of appreciate Outlast as a series that just does everything it can to be really, really tastelessly gross.

It doesn't do a particularly good job of it. It's just kinda stupid.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

That's the problem with Outlast's gore, there's so much of it everywhere at all times, that eventually you're moving through a river that's "so thick with corpses I could walk across it on their backs" and buildings chock full with mangled people crucified and oil drums full of hacked apart arms and legs and it's just boring by that point, skinned people roped into weird branch structures, people hanging from trees and rafters and whatever else, corpse burning dugouts, it all starts to just register as mundane and "Yep, that sure is another gibbering person talking about EAT THE FLESH SPICE IT WELL" not even halfway into the game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
And also they want to steal your bepis because woah man this is a mature game for mature adults

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kokoro Wish posted:

Thread favourite John Wolfe just finished his play-through and his opinion was overall positive. Not as good as Whistle Blower, but on part with Outlast 1 for the most part. He actually found it tame compared to the other two games and thought the could have made it more condensed and kept the action going longer with less pauses for school or rafting.

the entire time i was watching his playthrough all i could think was 'wow, it sucks for outlast 2 that it was delayed for so long since resident evil 7 kind of does some of these themes but way better'. the ending just...really kind of sucked.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

1stGear posted:

Its just Prey and if you're hoping for a sequel to the 2006 game I have goodterrible news for you.

nobody was hoping for a sequel to the 2006 game that wasn't the badass space bounty hunter game

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

vainman posted:

Is some of that a Stephen King novel?

Also has anyone played all the Black Mirror trilogy? Was it any good, I'm 99% certain I played the first one years ago.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
a stephen king novel wouldn't pull the lame-rear end it wasn't actually supernatural it was actually this tech thing that for all intents and purposes is identical to something supernatural card

which other than the generally tasteless and ineffective edgy horror is my huge bugbear.for the series.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
You think there could be a game out of receiving flash backs of your or other people's past through fragmented VHR vision that triggers around a decayed and abandoned city? Like I guess something of Silent Hill *insert groaning here* and Technodrome where you aren't sure whether some occurrences are going to be "mostly" harmless hallucinations, which creatures or people only exist in the past and what's actually out there with you in the ruins? Because I'm wondering if you can have a game about figuring out what happened and why you're here.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

bessantj posted:

Also has anyone played all the Black Mirror trilogy? Was it any good, I'm 99% certain I played the first one years ago.

I have, and it's great but inconsistent in how it's great. The first one is absolutely glacially paced and has some terribly hammy voice acting but really nails the isolation of gothic horror. The second and third games were made by different developers and kinda go their own way from the first, but are better adventure games mechanically and are more engaging in their pacing. The second one suffers from a pretty annoying protagonist that gets a lot better by the third game. The third is probably the best of the series, but it's a direct continuation from the second. All three of them really get at the horror and mystique of a nasty old castle out in the woods, and that makes the worth playing on its own.

I've written about Black Mirror and Black Mirror II if you want to know more.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Too Shy Guy posted:

I have, and it's great but inconsistent in how it's great. The first one is absolutely glacially paced and has some terribly hammy voice acting but really nails the isolation of gothic horror. The second and third games were made by different developers and kinda go their own way from the first, but are better adventure games mechanically and are more engaging in their pacing. The second one suffers from a pretty annoying protagonist that gets a lot better by the third game. The third is probably the best of the series, but it's a direct continuation from the second. All three of them really get at the horror and mystique of a nasty old castle out in the woods, and that makes the worth playing on its own.

I've written about Black Mirror and Black Mirror II if you want to know more.

Thanks for this. They're discounted on GOG so I'll get all three. Looking at the screenshots of the first one I'm almost sure I've played it and think I might have the physical copy around my house somewhere.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

1stGear posted:

Yeah, I played the original back in the day, and just use the 2 like I would refer to Doom 2016. Sorts out which one you're talking about. In any event, I enjoyed the old one and look forward to the new one.

Is P.A.M.E.L.A turning out well? I was interested but then saw there's no subtitles listed on the Steam page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

vainman posted:

oh my god that's amazing.

I'm just watching the Scary Game Squad playthrough and someone called that poo poo in like the second episode. Just like they did in Until Dawn. This one's not too farfetched as far as a guessing aspect but calling out exactly what was happening in Until Dawn pretty much made me believe that someone looked that poo poo up before they started recording; it's just too random of a pull.

On an unrelated note, I played through Stories Untold and actually enjoyed it. I didn't have much trouble with the interpreter but it's definitely built for people who aren't used to them, not Zork warriors. The ending did seem pretty phoned in but I'm a sucker for "interactive storytelling" type poo poo like that and Firewatch. I was pissed off though because in the third episode as soon as it put me outside, I took one step and fell through the loving map. Took a minute to figure out if that was supposed to happen in some kinda meta mindfuck or not. I also got stuck in the fourth episode while exploring the hospital - they seem to have done a lackluster job of testing the first person movement areas out. Sucks because when things like that happen it ruins the immersion.