Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Nocheez posted:

Yeah, you tell him! It's not like you could have ever googled it yourself. I'm sure you're just so generous and now you'll be donating left and right. Good for you!

Yeah I'm still not gonna donate :qq: but at least now I know! Let's see your recent donation receipts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bradzilla posted:

Yeah I'm still not gonna donate :qq: but at least now I know! Let's see your recent donation receipts.

I bought a mentally unstable goon a Nintendo Switch golf game.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

The Management posted:

This is poor people thinking for people that don't understand money. If you have millions of dollars, your full time job is to invest and grow that money. Going to your 9-5 is a waste of time and a stupid thing to do. Go back to school, learn about finance and accounting, and then make your money work for you.

Bullshit. His job should be whatever he likes to do, which might be his current job. There are people who like their jobs - it's rare but they exist. If I got all that money I wouldn't walk out of my job. And even if I did it after some time, it certainly wouldn't be so that I can again work 8 hours a day with my main concern that I gotta make even more money.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's semantics. The whole point of taxes is that we can pool funds to benefit the common good, be it through infrastructure development, public safety, or welfare systems. A charity that builds houses for the underprivileged is functionally no different than low income housing provided by the government through taxation (I mean yes obviously there are differences, but I'm talking ideologically and ideally).

Taxes will take enough of his money anyway, no need to donate more of it to the government than necessary. Government is also terribly wasteful with taxpayer money and there's no way to direct where you want it to go. It's a ridiculous idea.

At least with charities you could research the best ones and support only causes you believe in.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Anton Chigurh posted:

Taxes will take enough of his money anyway, no need to donate more of it to the government than necessary. Government is also terribly wasteful with taxpayer money and there's no way to direct where you want it to go. It's a ridiculous idea.

At least with charities you could research the best ones and support only causes you believe in.

Or you can accidentally donate to one that's garbage

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Or you can accidentally donate to one that's garbage

Apparently you haven't been reading the thread for ways to avoid that.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
He could stimulate the economy by becoming an angel investor to all the Kickstarter projects goons hate the most.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

That would be good if you're looking to grow it and not live off of it. Even going to school and getting your 7 and 66 isn't usually enough to start managing your own money. Get someone else more knowledgeable in investing to help you with it. Two eyes and minds are better than one. I was an FA for almost a decade and now I'm a banker and I still have an FA of my own to keep me on track.

To be honest, maybe at some point in the future I'd feel comfortable being risky, but the general idea is to be conservative with the vast majority: stick it some Vanguard ETFs and be happy to beat inflation for the time being.

So, let's say we start out with 26 million. (Let's say this is post tax rather than jump down that rabbithole for this thought experiement.

Meh, basically the idea would be to take ~20 million, and live of the interest w/o touching principal. That leaves 6 million to go hog wild with, investmentwise

With a 3% withdrawal rate, that's $600,000 a year. Not enough to to not think about what I spend, but enough I could live a very nice lifestyle without touching the principal.

In a worst case scenario, I'd be happy to live a very full life and donate that principal towards a cause I care about.

But, knowing me, I'd probably spend a few years traveling, but eventually that'd get boring, and I'd go back to school and enter a finance program to try to do some crazy quant stuff.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Just parking that in jumbo CDs would over be half a mil a year. What kind of lifestyle are you living where 26 million is only a safety net "for some time"

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

bradzilla posted:

I donate monthly to 3 causes my wife and I believe in. They are our local NPR station, the ACLU, and Modest Needs.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Doctor Malaver posted:

Bullshit. His job should be whatever he likes to do, which might be his current job. There are people who like their jobs - it's rare but they exist. If I got all that money I wouldn't walk out of my job. And even if I did it after some time, it certainly wouldn't be so that I can again work 8 hours a day with my main concern that I gotta make even more money.
Yeah, "I have 26 million dollars, better go back to school and devote the rest of my life to turning that into even more money even if finance doesn't interest me" sounds like a legitimate mental disorder. The super wealthy have a more socially acceptable hoarding tendency.

I love my low paying job, and would keep doing it, with the added bonus of never having to worry about money again. Christ, the thought of devoting my entire life to worrying about money is horrifying.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Personally speaking if I ever get gently caress-you rich I hope I keep my "poor people thinking"

Like, I kind of feel bad for those really rich people who like ignore their families and devote all their time and effort to getting even more money even though they're already set for life, because, like, what's the point? They're trying to rack up their score in a game nobody is really playing.

I really admire Bill Gates for realizing when he'd hit that point and deciding he was gonna gently caress off to Africa and try to cure malaria

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

walgreenslatino posted:

Just parking that in jumbo CDs would over be half a mil a year. What kind of lifestyle are you living where 26 million is only a safety net "for some time"

Inflation is usually about 2%, so you want higher than that if you want to at least keep the same amount. And since there can be downturns, it's better to go for more. There's a line of thought that beating the market is very, very tough and it's better to pay lower fees for ETFs rather than a fancy mutual fund. So I'd park a majority of money in ETFs.

Honestly, I'd probably grab a million or so and travel the world. Or maybe give professional poker a shot - a relatively small small bankroll of like 50k would probably be enough to find out if you had the stuff if you stuck to low limit tables and actually focused on learning rather than just throwing money around.

Slugworth posted:

Yeah, "I have 26 million dollars, better go back to school and devote the rest of my life to turning that into even more money even if finance doesn't interest me" sounds like a legitimate mental disorder. The super wealthy have a more socially acceptable hoarding tendency.

I love my low paying job, and would keep doing it, with the added bonus of never having to worry about money again. Christ, the thought of devoting my entire life to worrying about money is horrifying.

OTOH, understanding how the markets work and being able to predict them would be kinda cool.

And hoarding it probably isn't... setting up some sort of foundation could be useful.

If I had a lot of money, I'd love to set up scholarships for public interest attorneys for example... most people who want to do public interest get pushed into less useful work because they need to work off their debt, and then get locked into a skillset that's got nothing to do with the skills you need to do say, human rights law.

Growing the money == more scholarships.

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 30, 2017

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Poors gonna poor I guess. Money is a responsibility.

Let's get some concrete numbers. If you had 26 million bucks invested and you were able to increase your return by 4% with active management instead of just letting it sit in an ETF (a totally achievable goal on average), you would be making an additional one million dollars every year. That is, by choosing to work your low paying job that you like instead of taking care of your financial responsibilities you are literally walking away from a million dollars a year for that privilege.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"Being able to predict the market" is not what they teach you in any finance course. In fact, that's pretty much the opposite.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Management posted:

Let's get some concrete numbers. If you had 26 million bucks invested and you were able to increase your return by 4% with active management instead of just letting it sit in an ETF (a totally achievable goal on average), you would be making an additional one million dollars every year. That is, by choosing to work your low paying job that you like instead of taking care of your financial responsibilities you are literally walking away from a million dollars a year for that privilege.

That's a pretty loving big assumption. If going to university to learn finance got you an extra 4%, then every active manager with training or experience would be beating the market. To my knowledge, they aren't. And what if the confessor isn't interested in managing money or is just bad at it? That +4% pa could easily become -10% pa. I have a postgraduate degree in finance and if I had money like that I sure as poo poo wouldn't want to devote my time to managing it all. I'd stick a big chunk in some conservative investments that kept track with inflation and gave me a good income ($200k pa goes a long way with no mortgage) and keep a few million aside for a house, travels and playing with (in my case investing in film development and films, knowing it would probably be lost).

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

The Management posted:

A million a year that I don't in any way need on any level because I'm fine making GBS threads in a porcelain toilet instead of a golden one.

"You guys can just keep on driving past those broken chairs on the curb because you 'Have Enough Chairs Already', but me? I'm adding them to my collection at home, suckers".

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

we could live comfortably on $26k a year, $26 loving million is more than you'd ever need unless you're buying 5 houses and blowing the rest on stupid bullshit like golden toilets (^) and fancy cars

keep your job if you need something to do and a sense of normalcy, have the money sit in a savings account and use it as needed, or gamble the market for some reason to get a bunch more money that won't matter after you die lol

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

The Snoo posted:

we could live comfortably on $26k a year, $26 loving million is more than you'd ever need unless you're buying 5 houses and blowing the rest on stupid bullshit like golden toilets (^) and fancy cars

keep your job if you need something to do and a sense of normalcy, have the money sit in a savings account and use it as needed, or gamble the market for some reason to get a bunch more money that won't matter after you die lol

This is the lazy answer. I think if you have a large amount of wealth you have a responsibility to use it for something. Hoarding is bad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

This is the lazy answer. I think if you have a large amount of wealth you have a responsibility to use it for something. Hoarding is bad.

which is why rich people are insanely bad for the economy

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

yeah it seems far more hoarder-y to amass more and more wealth because you can and then never use it. just live within your means tbh

snoo fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 30, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The Snoo posted:

yeah it seems far more hoarder-y to amass more and more wealth because you can and then never use it. just live within your means tbh

Amassing more is not a bad thing as long as you don't hoard it, which is why I advocated earlier ITT for spreading it around to worthwhile charities. But apparently goons think all charities are scams and it's better to just let your fortune grow dust in a 0.01% APR savings account instead.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Take a large chunk of it and put it in a lifetime payout immediate annuity with annual cost of living adjustments. Use the rest to start scholarships, build hospital wings, open soup kitchens, etc.

Boom, you have a lifetime of income with no worries about market corrections and you've gave back more to society than most.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

My girlfriend is thinking of breaking up with me because I accidentally got too comfortable with her and expressed my admiration for someone I probably shouldn't have: Reinhard Heydrich. I thought it was a positive thing, that I was someone willing to do anything it took to rise in power but without the weird ideological stuff Hitler/Himmler had. I could very easily see myself being Heydrich if I was a German during the war.

Normally I would keep such things to myself but I thought I could trust her, and at the time I really thought she would be impressed by my devotion to not just remain complacent with what I am now. Maybe I could have picked an ambitious role model that wasn't a nazi but I can't think of anyone who showed the level of pure untainted power hunger that he showed that I would like to think I share. To be absolutely clear, he did a lot of terrible things, but if I were guaranteed safety and power in exchange for doing those things I would have done the same.

lol at being a nazi hipster

e: I looked up Reinhard Heydrich and according to paragraph 1 of his Wikipedia article he "chaired the January 1942 Wannsee Conference, which formalised plans for the Final Solution to the Jewish Question—the deportation and genocide of all Jews in German-occupied Europe." Nope, no weird ideological stuff here, he's just the guy who invented the Holocaust and stuff

quote:

So apparently at some point I started leaking a little after peeing. No matter what I do, sometimes after I put my dick back in my boxers after I take a leak it decides to let out a liiiiittle bit more and leave a tiny wet spot. It's not enough to smell bad or anything but it is very visually obvious and I live with my girlfriend so if I pee right before bed I have to keep her from seeing it. I've tried "pushing" really hard at the end of the pee, I've tried shaking harder than I did before, I've even tried dabbing the tip with a little toilet paper, and nothing really works consistently.

I've had pretty good results with putting my dick through one of the legs of my boxers to pee rather than pulling the elastic down over it, but that's not 100% either.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 30, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Toilet paper seems the solution here

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Give you taint a little squeeze, pee goon. There's a U-bend in your urethra down there.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Yeah I mean Heydrich only finishes very slightly behind Himmler and Hitler in "really really bought into the nazi ideology stuff". He's only not well known because people thought he was so hosed up they killed him early on in the war. Maybe he only did it to gain power but still, if he's your role model you're lucky to have a girl who wouldn't immediately sever upon the mentioning of his name.

Piss goon, maybe talk to your doctor about that.

necroid
May 14, 2009

loquacius posted:

pee dribbler

dude I'm no doctor but I'm pretty sure the best thing with peepee and poopoo holes is to relax them to let stuff out, pushing real hard is less effective and potentially harmful. Just pee by releasing tension, dry it with toilet paper and then wait a few more seconds to dry it again before you stuff it back. I'm pretty sure you dribble because you try to spray it out as fast as possible.

Oh by the way 26 million dollars dude PayPal me 5-10k to help me renovate my apartment and I'll let you crash on my couch free of charge whenever you visit Europe

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Epic success win motivational memes but instead of a ripped Instagram fitness guy it's a Nazi war criminal

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

On one hand working when you don't have to is taking a job from someone who could probably use it on the other hand do what you loving want. Donate to charities if you want, hoard it, spend some frivolously (do realize it isn't infinite though 26 million is a lot) whatever.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
I'm 30. Assuming I die at 80, that's 50 years. With $26m, that's ~half a mil a year. Seems to me like living off half a mil a year is a pretty fuckin' comfy life, especially when I literally don't have to worry about anything except doing whatever the gently caress I want. Rich people that constantly feel the need to get more money are the saddest brokebrained fuckers, and I'd feel bad for them if it weren't for the fact that their dragon like wealth hoarding was both ruining the global economy and directly responsible for death and misery around the world.

Eat the rich, is what I'm saying.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I'm 30. Assuming I die at 80, that's 50 years. With $26m, that's ~half a mil a year. Seems to me like living off half a mil a year is a pretty fuckin' comfy life, especially when I literally don't have to worry about anything except doing whatever the gently caress I want. Rich people that constantly feel the need to get more money are the saddest brokebrained fuckers, and I'd feel bad for them if it weren't for the fact that their dragon like wealth hoarding was both ruining the global economy and directly responsible for death and misery around the world.

Eat the rich, is what I'm saying.

500k is 2% interest of 26 mil so I hope you didn't mean you'd keep the money under a mattress and spend it slowly

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
The money becomes your mattress at that point, don't spend it too fast or you'll be sleeping on the floor.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
however if you don't care what happens after you die why not

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
re: 26 mil

does mcdonalds still have a dollar menu

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Elsa posted:

500k is 2% interest of 26 mil so I hope you didn't mean you'd keep the money under a mattress and spend it slowly

He's saying that even without doing anything, that'll have you set for life

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
dammit I refuse to get caught up in this

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Dude will figure it out. Inheritance tax is 40% in that bracket so it won't be 26 mil anyway... or it was way more to begin with.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I'm 30. Assuming I die at 80, that's 50 years.

Non anon confession: I cannot conceive of this amount of time as a feeling human being in any other way than a personal hell.

Nazi goon: get punched, you deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

nvj is touched by your generosity!

purple death ray posted:

It's like getting upset at goatse like, yeah it's weird and gross but I've seen it all before and I just can't get too worked up about it. They're part of the weird hosed up fabric of the internet now and I have a hard time imagining it being the same without them.

Besides its 2017 and the perpetually escalating Internet horror machine has given us bronies and feeder fetishists and the alt right and the daddy cummies people so I really don't know why anybody even notices furries anymore

2016: Donald Trump could never really be president right?

2020: We could never have a furry president right?