Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

hi liter posted:

Do ya'll train with any cops? I know that a few I've trained with some in the past, as well as vets in the past, but the politics around both those issues has....changed in the last few years.

Any good stories?

One of the black belts at a Gracie Barra I used to train at is a sniper with the RCMP. Nice fella, tough as nails.

I was at a spot for a while that actively discouraged them from joining just because the guy who ran the BJJ program was a huge pothead and didn't want to deal with a cop when smoking before class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Pocket Billiards posted:

Really disappointed with mine. It's too flexible and I can't build up enough pressure when trying to do my shoulders.

I've got this one and its definitely stiff enough for shoulder and back pressure.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ordered 3 prostate stimulators, hope they're the wrong size so I don't have to pay for them :getin:

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

hi liter posted:

Do ya'll train with any cops? I know that a few I've trained with some in the past, as well as vets in the past, but the politics around both those issues has....changed in the last few years.

Any good stories?

I train (ill probably see him today) with a SDPD officer that is incredibly tough. Guy is always giving me "I'm going to kill you" face when rolling and then we laugh and chat it up afterwards :D

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.
So I have my third amateur MMA fight on the 22nd.

My opponent is 0-4. Hasn't fought in three years. I'm 1-1, haven't fought in like a year and a half I think? My opp's two more recent fights are on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BeVUT8Kox4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYhoKYVifs8

Obviously three years is a long time. But I suspect he probably hasn't spent all three of those years training hard. If he looks anything like he did in those videos it should go well for me. For reference I'm a blue belt but I've been training fairly consistently since the end of 2010.

I guess if anyone wants to comment or give any advice I'm open to it. My strongest area is jits but I have half-decent takedowns and a decent chin. I think my striking is ok but I'm not nearly aggressive enough most of the time. I think the best case scenario is he comes out wild, I hit a takedown, and finish him in the first round with a sub.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

The Darlok posted:

So I have my third amateur MMA fight on the 22nd.

My opponent is 0-4. Hasn't fought in three years. I'm 1-1, haven't fought in like a year and a half I think? My opp's two more recent fights are on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BeVUT8Kox4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYhoKYVifs8

Obviously three years is a long time. But I suspect he probably hasn't spent all three of those years training hard. If he looks anything like he did in those videos it should go well for me. For reference I'm a blue belt but I've been training fairly consistently since the end of 2010.

I guess if anyone wants to comment or give any advice I'm open to it. My strongest area is jits but I have half-decent takedowns and a decent chin. I think my striking is ok but I'm not nearly aggressive enough most of the time. I think the best case scenario is he comes out wild, I hit a takedown, and finish him in the first round with a sub.

https://youtu.be/1M80HqjHvV0

Do this. The guy seems like he wants to strike a little slower and methodical from a distance but clinches and goes into panic mode once someone gets in. Also lol at that guy in the first link.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

That guy looks like he has no clue how to defend a double or a guillotine and has never done a day of jiu jitsu in his life. That being said, Imanari roll and heel hook the gently caress out of him.

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

JaySB posted:

That guy looks like he has no clue how to defend a double or a guillotine and has never done a day of jiu jitsu in his life. That being said, Imanari roll and heel hook the gently caress out of him.

Can't! No heel hooks in amateur in Florida.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is this back buddy big enough for huge dudes like myself? I'm going back and forth between it, a massage ball, rolling pin style roller, and a foam roller.

The Darlok posted:

Where are you fighting in Florida?

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is this back buddy big enough for huge dudes like myself? I'm going back and forth between it, a massage ball, rolling pin style roller, and a foam roller.

Where are you fighting in Florida?

Sebring. Don't ask me why, I don't want to go there myself. I train/live in Tampa.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

The Darlok posted:

Haha holy poo poo I can't believe I didn't know this. You training at West?

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

Kekekela posted:

Haha holy poo poo I can't believe I didn't know this. You training at West?

No heel hooks and pretty sure no toe holds either. Yeah West, and PH usually once a week. All at night classes though can't make any mornings.

e: Just read the the actual rules, apparently the only legal leg attack is a knee bar

"(b) In addition to the aforementioned fouls, fouls/illegal techniques while on the ground include:"
"3. Any submission attacking the legs ankles or feet other than a straight knee bar (Heel hooks or any angled leg locks);"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Hmmm, what about calf slicers?

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

kimbo305 posted:

Hmmm, what about calf slicers?

Doesn't appear to be specifically addressed but "any submission attacking the legs... other than a straight knee bar" probably precludes calf slicers. Also you have to wear shin pads so that's gonna make a calf slicer harder to finish anyway, I imagine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I was able to sidekick someone off his feet today. He was like 95% there with a superman punch, but I still did it :smug:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
instructor asked what we wanted to work on tonight and someone said x-guard. later when we were doing drills for it he put on some music and 3 different DMX songs played which im pretty sure is illegal

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Unless "X Gon' Give It To Ya" played it was a waste.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
yes that was one of them

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

kimbo305 posted:

I was able to sidekick someone off his feet today. He was like 95% there with a superman punch, but I still did it :smug:

Taking someone off their feet with a kick makes everyone think you're a hero for like 3 seconds

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

The Darlok posted:

No heel hooks and pretty sure no toe holds either. Yeah West, and PH usually once a week. All at night classes though can't make any mornings.

e: Just read the the actual rules, apparently the only legal leg attack is a knee bar

"(b) In addition to the aforementioned fouls, fouls/illegal techniques while on the ground include:"
"3. Any submission attacking the legs ankles or feet other than a straight knee bar (Heel hooks or any angled leg locks);"

So lets hear some tales of that victory :dance:

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

Kekekela posted:

So lets hear some tales of that victory :dance:

Man most of it is a blur. I hope someone video taped it but don't know yet. First round I believe we traded on the feet and at one point I shot in and managed to get double unders from the side/behind and drag him to the ground. If I remember correctly, I had a body lock to try to keep him from spinning but I couldn't manage to get the seat belt control and I started losing position so I came up into mount. Got a few good punches in before he bridged really hard and I almost lost position and he came to his knees. I believe I tried to go for an arm bar but didn't have his arm well enough and he got out and stood up. I think that was basically the end of the round.

Second round more trading. He hit me with a really surprisingly accurate kick to the face. The rest is really a blur (kick maybe responsible?) but I believe I got a takedown, and somehow I ended up on bottom with him in my triangle. I had a not-so-good angle on the triangle but I have a pretty good squeeze so I got my arms under my knees and just held it, I heard him gurgling and he kinda threw some desperation punches at my head but I just tightened it a little more and held it and he tapped.

I was so exhausted. If I didn't get the finish third round would've been ugly, but hopefully I would've won a decision. Bam wants us to fight again at the WCFL card in May...

e: Forgot to mention - I did not fight the 0-4 guy whose videos I linked. He pulled out like two days before the fight and they replaced him a 1-0 guy who had very little ground game but much better standup than the other guy.

ee: Looks like I messed up some details. Bam posted the 2nd round on facebook https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.wissmann/videos/355916321471950/

Eli got a real lovely deal though. His opponent came out throwing a flurry of not very clean looking punches and Eli got clipped by one, he fell to like a knee and started getting back up and the ref just stepped in and waved it off. The commission people apparently told the ref they were ok with restarting the fight but the ref wasn't having it and called it a KO.

The Darlok fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 23, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Darlok posted:

Eli got a real lovely deal though. His opponent came out throwing a flurry of not very clean looking punches and Eli got clipped by one, he fell to like a knee and started getting back up and the ref just stepped in and waved it off. The commission people apparently told the ref they were ok with restarting the fight but the ref wasn't having it and called it a KO.

Is this still amateur because if a guy got dropped like that I'd have no problem with the ref stopping it

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

mewse posted:

Is this still amateur because if a guy got dropped like that I'd have no problem with the ref stopping it

Amateur yes but he wasn't out for even a moment. Wobbly feet maybe but not even close to a knockout. The fight lasted 11 seconds. The only people happy with the ending were the ref and the opponent.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

The Darlok posted:

ee: Looks like I messed up some details. Bam posted the 2nd round on facebook https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.wissmann/videos/355916321471950/

Amazing, good job! Really impressed with anyone who even gets in let alone performs as well as that.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
:tviv:

Daaamn, nice finish!

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

So I have an opportunity to renovate a bit and turn half of my garage into a matted area, but I'm going to have to do my weights down there too. I can drag my bench and squat rack on and off the mats as needed... but how can I make mats that won't be destroyed over time by having weights lifted on them a few times a week? I can do 30 or 40 mm puzzle mats, or I can do the full rener gracie thing with layers of foam and carpet... could I just drag some kind of other flooring on or off the mats that would protect them? I'm thinking I'd have to protect the areas where weights will hit (eg while deadlifting) and also protect the points where the legs of my bench etc touch the ground.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I think anything other than puzzle mats is gonna get torn up by the bench, no way you can keep that on solid ground I guess?

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 24, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think that even puzzle mats will get chewed up.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Barn/horse stall flooring?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Nevermind, comrades! I got permission to take up even more space!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Anyone know anything about the martial arts scene in Toronto? I might be commuting up there for work. Downtown area

I'm primarily a BJJ guy but down for judo or really anything that I can fit in the schedule.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Xguard86 posted:

Anyone know anything about the martial arts scene in Toronto? I might be commuting up there for work. Downtown area

I'm primarily a BJJ guy but down for judo or really anything that I can fit in the schedule.

I've never been to Toronto but I've seen some good youtube stuff from Elliot Bayev http://www.openmat.ca/ .

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Seconding Open Mat, good coaching staff and very solid competition. Super convenient if you're staying downtown.

Would also recommend Toronto No Gi (http://torontonogi.com/) if you want to venture up midtown. It's about 15 minutes north of Open Mat by subway and as it's name states it's a No Gi gym. Great place if you want to play around with all sorts of leg locks.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Nice, I need to figure out exactly where I'll be staying working but looks like that open mat place has a lot of different times, that's good because often I can't leave work until 6:30 or 7.

My job is nominally full time travel but I've gotten lucky and been home for like 2 years. I'm hoping I can keep my schedule on the road, because last time I was traveling my training kinda sucked.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
Yo xguard there plenty of good schools in Toronto and the GTA - where are you staying?

I third OpenMat as a top choice. Other schools you can check out are: Evolucai Thai, Primal MMA, and Innercity MMA.
Ronin Judo is pretty dingy but great for judo and has late adult classes. Plenty of really good Muay Thai schools as well - Old School Muay Thai, TKMT, Krudar Muay Thai: K1, e: I forgot Siam No. 1. For JKD/FMA there's Fighting Arts Collective. Toronto's also got good systema and krav maga schools if that's what you want to do. :smuggo:

If you're not staying downtown, there are other schools that could be closer and have good instruction as well.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 1, 2017

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I think the client is near the hockey/baseball arenas? Def will be staying working downtown.

Paperwork isn't signed yet so I haven't booked the hotel or put too much effort into the details. If it goes to 100 I'm going to get more details.

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

willie_dee posted:

Amazing, good job! Really impressed with anyone who even gets in let alone performs as well as that.

Kekekela posted:

:tviv:

Daaamn, nice finish!

Thanks guys. I just got a video of both rounds if anyone cares to watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibVnRvl6m0

I feel like the two biggest things I need to work on are my reaction time to strikes and not gassing out horribly, presumably due to adrenaline.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

The Darlok posted:

Thanks guys. I just got a video of both rounds if anyone cares to watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibVnRvl6m0

I feel like the two biggest things I need to work on are my reaction time to strikes and not gassing out horribly, presumably due to adrenaline.

Looks like you duck to the same side almost every time before you throw that overhand lead. Probably could work on setting up your strikes a little more in combos rather than throwing bombs. And could have hooked his leg once you locked the triangle to prevent him from trying to stack you.

Great job though, good finish and well done on toughing through a couple spots.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That was actually pretty cool of his buddies to give you the video. I feel bad for Fred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

The Darlok posted:

Good job with the triangle. I imagine its a bit difficult to grab the shin to lock it up with those gloves on. Also it looks like you did a good job of keeping his head down.