Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

2house2fly posted:

If someone played Fallout 4 and wondered why they should play Fallout 3 there's... nothing

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword:
His truth is marching on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Another amusing thing that I just noticed in Lego City Undercover is that on the criminal height chart during the Rex Fury briefing the heights aren't 5.0, 5.5, 6.0 they're 50mm, 55mm, 60mm - minifig scale :3:

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
I've been playing Hollow Knight like a fiend and at one point you rescue a shy NPC in a dungeon. She's sitting on a bench at the hub the next time you show up and makes a startled "OH!" sound if you walk past her. She won't talk to you and you can't interact with her.

If you leave and come back you can find her asleep in her room and you can read her diary where she's written romantic fanfiction about you and herself. It's got all this highly melodramatic purple prose and it's super corny and like 98% lies. The story updates at least twice (that I know of), each time detailing a different event in the story and your interactions with her.

Also there's a really weird, stupid boss in the sewer area and leading up to the fight you can hear him laughing and jabbering and it's really funny. The whole game has a lot of little touches that give the NPCs and the world you play in a lot of personality.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

samu3lk posted:

I've been playing Hollow Knight like a fiend and at one point you rescue a shy NPC in a dungeon. She's sitting on a bench at the hub the next time you show up and makes a startled "OH!" sound if you walk past her. She won't talk to you and you can't interact with her.

If you leave and come back you can find her asleep in her room and you can read her diary where she's written romantic fanfiction about you and herself. It's got all this highly melodramatic purple prose and it's super corny and like 98% lies. The story updates at least twice (that I know of), each time detailing a different event in the story and your interactions with her.

Also there's a really weird, stupid boss in the sewer area and leading up to the fight you can hear him laughing and jabbering and it's really funny. The whole game has a lot of little touches that give the NPCs and the world you play in a lot of personality.

I was honestly shocked when the guy who hates you and just wants to find the arena and kill poo poo dies offscreen in the arena and gets unceremoniously dumped into the body pit before you arrive, but it was an almost perfect arc for that character.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Oh wow! Other people who played Stubbs! I thought I was the only one! I love that its one of the few games where you actually get to play as the zombie, instead of killing them. And that its not a piece of poo poo like the other games that have done that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

ShootaBoy posted:

Oh wow! Other people who played Stubbs! I thought I was the only one! I love that its one of the few games where you actually get to play as the zombie, instead of killing them. And that its not a piece of poo poo like the other games that have done that.

Hey, Dark Souls is basically a game about zombies fighting zombies to end zombieism.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Old World Blues has a few venture Brothers easter eggs if you have Wild Wasteland on too. James Urbaniak talks about his walking eye a couple of times and something else that I can't remember.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

Hey, Dark Souls is basically a game about zombies fighting zombies to end zombieism.

And Nier: Automata is a game about robots being sent by robots to fight robots in order to put an end to robots.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The gaming industry learned something from Mass Effect 3's plot, at least.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Somfin posted:

And Nier: Automata is a game about robots being sent by robots to fight robots in order to put an end to robots.

it's a metaphor for real wars

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Slime posted:

it's a metaphor for real wars

It's a metaphor for a lot of stuff.

Game's not exactly subtle.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Another thing about Lego City Undercover that I like is that all the optional overworld stuff stays done even when incomplete. Unlike in most of the series if you paint 2/4 mailboxes for example and cannot find the last two, they will stay painted forever, you only need to find the last ones.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Somfin posted:

It's a metaphor for a lot of stuff.

Game's not exactly subtle.
it's about finding an answer to the question of "what if the shmup credits from Smash Bros Melee made a return and made you cry"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's about finding an answer to the question of "what if the shmup credits from Smash Bros Melee made a return and made you cry"

I've already mentioned the choral arrangement of Weight of the World but seriously

The choral arrangement of Weight of the World

gently caress.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lmao

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Somfin posted:

I've already mentioned the choral arrangement of Weight of the World but seriously

The choral arrangement of Weight of the World

gently caress.

when you finally give in and accept help, it's such a good combination of music and game mechanics.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Lego City Undercover has a surprising amount of Verisimilitude with side stuff and plot. I just got into Chan's gang and heard about their affiliation with the Ice Cream Parlour, and right next to Chan's limo place is a Car Thief Challenge that takes one of Wang's nicer ricers (:P) puts it elsewhere, and next to that end point is another one that puts the next car in the italian group's garage. Makes perfect sense for Chase to do that because he's planning on hopping to the italian gang to get closer to Rex Fury.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Or you could just do it the Richie way and just look it up on youtube. That's fine too. Especially if you love balls!
(That is like the text-book nerd to jock insult, I really love the npc's in old world blues - I actually killed them all first and had to reload because it was too empty with them all gone)

Quick question, I get a lot of guys hear don't like fallout 4 so it's probably a bad place to ask - but if you had to choose between far harbor or nuka world which would you say is more enjoyable?
Haven't played fallout 4 in awhile and I really would like to give one of the dlc's a go.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I played them both. I'd say Far Harbor. I really liked Nuka World's area more, but unless you're willing to turn against your settlements by leading the raiders to the Commonwealth to invade all your settlements for them, then you're not going to see it through to the end. That's the main storyline. I eventually just turned the gun on everyone and failed all of the missions. (They give you a warning before this happens, so you can play it for a good chunk of time before crossing the point of no return.)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I loved Far Harbor, but I know that 'mysterious fog-monster island with a doomsday cult' is exactly up my alley so :shrug:. Also, I don't know if it was something they had done in the stock game or something I had with mods but I really liked the look of all the fog and godrays cutting through it.

If you can swing it I would say just get both though because there's only two that actually add gameplay and the other dlcs are just like more building menu items.

Edit: Lol what, the dlc's apparently $50 now? Haha gently caress that, see if you can get them on a steam sale or something I guess.

Saint Freak has a new favorite as of 17:53 on Apr 28, 2017

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Gunstar Heroes just sucker punched me. When beat one of the bosses you get a gem. When you beat Black (the seedy looking boss), he tosses his gem to you, but it turns out to be a bomb in disguise. It killed me and I had to do his fight again.

I'd be pissed off if the game weren't so fun.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just played Accounting, a little VR game on Steam made by, essentially, the guy who does Rick and Morty. The game itself is pretty dumb, you interact with a handful of things and the only reason to play it the bizarre plot premise and the characters, of which there are like five.

But they have so much loving stuff to say. You could beat the game in less than a minute, probably, but if you just listen to the various characters ramble on while the game's waiting for you to pick up a thing to go to the next area, it could take, I dunno, half an hour or so (which again, isn't long, but is quite the scale given the shortness of the game). One of the first guys you meet is stuck in a tree and just throws a litany of swearing questions at you as you take a quick look around, and says even more when you pick up a phone. It goes on and on, and the bizarre-ness of it all just left me cracking up.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Morpheus posted:

I just played Accounting, a little VR game on Steam made by, essentially, the guy who does Rick and Morty. The game itself is pretty dumb, you interact with a handful of things and the only reason to play it the bizarre plot premise and the characters, of which there are like five.

But they have so much loving stuff to say. You could beat the game in less than a minute, probably, but if you just listen to the various characters ramble on while the game's waiting for you to pick up a thing to go to the next area, it could take, I dunno, half an hour or so (which again, isn't long, but is quite the scale given the shortness of the game). One of the first guys you meet is stuck in a tree and just throws a litany of swearing questions at you as you take a quick look around, and says even more when you pick up a phone. It goes on and on, and the bizarre-ness of it all just left me cracking up.

I like the phone bit because they aren't afraid to have them talk over each other. Both ends of the conversation like "Hey! gently caress you! That's my phone! Get off my phone!" "Who's that? We can't hear you someone's yelling" in both ears making it impossible to understand.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Glagha posted:

I like the phone bit because they aren't afraid to have them talk over each other. Both ends of the conversation like "Hey! gently caress you! That's my phone! Get off my phone!" "Who's that? We can't hear you someone's yelling" in both ears making it impossible to understand.

I think that's where I just started laughing from the absurdity of it all.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ShootaBoy posted:

I remember there was a post-mortem interview with the developers of Stubbs in EGM and they said that one of the hardest parts of designing the game was making a zombie protagonist who was personable while still being a gross shambling corpse.

IIRC the two biggest influences on Stubbs himself wound up being Steve Buscemi and Shrek.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Glagha posted:

The whiteboard gag at the end is the greatest.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

scarycave posted:

Quick question, I get a lot of guys hear don't like fallout 4 so it's probably a bad place to ask - but if you had to choose between far harbor or nuka world which would you say is more enjoyable?
Haven't played fallout 4 in awhile and I really would like to give one of the dlc's a go.

I got more mileage out of Far Harbour, simply because the new region had more things to actually see and do. The new enemies there were pretty great too the Hermit Crab made me laugh when I found my first one. Nuka World is great, but only really when you're cleaning up the different areas for takeover by the gangs. Once you've done that, it's just stereotypical bad guy bullshit and you spend a lot of time back in the Commonwealth setting up for the gangs. The Nuka companion is pretty fun to chill with, but overall I'd say go with Far Harbour.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Might be a bit late to the party but the P5 soundtrack is so good.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Ok, guess I'll go with far harbour then - when it goes on sale anyways. 50 dollars seems kinda pricey for dlc.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's the season pass that's $50, Far Harbor alone is "only" $25

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Ibblebibble posted:

Might be a bit late to the party but the P5 soundtrack is so good.

I sometimes just leave the game running for a little bit in the weapon shop because I love that track.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
My god Binary Domain is a treasure trove of reaction images

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
Speaking of Lego City Undercover (and I love that someone is speaking of Lego City Undercover), pedestrians will dive out of your way when you're driving and if there's a wall they'll just bash their heads into it. Cracks me up every time.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Conversely, in nearly every 3D GTA game, it seems the peds have a habit of just diving into your car instead of away from it. I imagine it has something to do with driving close enough to the ped to trigger the dive, but the direction of the dive is determined about where they have the most room to dive or something rather than just whatever direction gets them out of the way of your car.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Gunstar Heroes just sucker punched me. When beat one of the bosses you get a gem. When you beat Black (the seedy looking boss), he tosses his gem to you, but it turns out to be a bomb in disguise. It killed me and I had to do his fight again.

I'd be pissed off if the game weren't so fun.

Gunstar Heroes is great, I love all the different gun combinations. And yes I died to Black the first time as well.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I havent played gunstar heroes in probably 2 decades but i still remember that part and then frying him with the laser-tracer

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Jehde posted:

Conversely, in nearly every 3D GTA game, it seems the peds have a habit of just diving into your car instead of away from it. I imagine it has something to do with driving close enough to the ped to trigger the dive, but the direction of the dive is determined about where they have the most room to dive or something rather than just whatever direction gets them out of the way of your car.

My assumption has always been that it may have been bug or mistake in GTA 3, but has been retained as it's funny.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Yeah I just assumed many people in Vice City were suicidal.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

codenameFANGIO posted:

Yeah I just assumed many people in Vice City were suicidal.

The Simpsons: Hit and Run had the same thing going on, but at least some of the ped dialog decided to play it this way. "Goodbye, cruel world!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Ditto the first Saints Row- sometimes if you avoid hitting a pedestrian who dives into the road, you'll hear "Why did you avoid me, I wanna die!"