Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh god, I've seen Born to be Bone Master Mode and just Jesus Christ, you monsters, what were you thinking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YbRclMWFcE&t=106s

Seriously, watch just how much damage a single missed note costs you. And this guy nearly eats it near the end on a string of maybe all of four of them.

I still refuse to believe he beat this legit, because no-one beats Born to be Bone on Master Mode and they are lying liars who lie. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

E: nvm

tyler fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 30, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Gitaroo Man is so much harder than Youtube videos make it look, and they don't make it look easy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I want a PSVR-supporting version of Gitaroo Man.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seriously, watch just how much damage a single missed note costs you. And this guy nearly eats it near the end on a string of maybe all of four of them.

I still refuse to believe he beat this legit, because no-one beats Born to be Bone on Master Mode and they are lying liars who lie. :colbert:

Unless the game is nice on the last string, he missed at least 3 and doesn't get penalized at all. Smells like cheating.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Obsurveyor posted:

Unless the game is nice on the last string, he missed at least 3 and doesn't get penalized at all. Smells like cheating.

When you get to the End (after Harmony) it won't penalize you for misses. And thank gently caress for that.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

fridge corn posted:

Bloodborne is awesome and I love it but I'm really bad at games and I hate it it's too hard but it's a really cool game.e I just wish ir had difficulty settings so you could make it easier but I think it would completely ruin the appeal of the ga.e that's

Well, I really don't think that's true. You explore a gothic city while fighting cool and grotesque enemies. You have a cool hat. The game having checkpoints before a boss wouldn't hurt it in any way whatsoever.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I bought Bloodborne for $15-20 and played through it once and it was cool but that's about all the desire I have to ever play a Souls-like game and I probably wouldn't buy a Bloodborne 2 or any other Souls game

that's my story thanks for reading.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I want a PSVR-supporting version of Gitaroo Man.

This time, YOU are U-1.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm happy the Mysterious Gensokyo series is on the PS4 now. I like playing as a really violent magical girl running around with a watermelon sword and a garbage can lid slaying disrespectful fairies.

edit: before anyone asks it is definitely anime.

How is it on PS4? After the later PC titles got crazy always online DRM I didn't really try them so I'm wondering how much they've improved on the formula.
Also are you playing the Japanese or English version? I'm interested in seeing if official translation managed to keep all the terms consistent with stuff fans have been using for years.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

HGH posted:

How is it on PS4? After the later PC titles got crazy always online DRM I didn't really try them so I'm wondering how much they've improved on the formula.
Also are you playing the Japanese or English version? I'm interested in seeing if official translation managed to keep all the terms consistent with stuff fans have been using for years.
I played one on the PC long ago but only briefly. This one is definitely a standard Japanese type roguelike as far as I can tell. I'm not super familiar with roguelikes or mysterious dungeon games in general though so I guess I'm the wrong one to ask about how this compares to the others in detail. All I know is it's a really relaxing time with lots of weird tactics you can try out, and also nice to look at.

I've never played any Touhou game in English, including this one.

edit: it's time for some tengu journalism, and by that I mean whiffle bat beatings

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 30, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Little Nightmares was fantastic all the way to the end. Once you see Six eat a Gnome, especially when it was helpfully offering a sausage, you just knew things weren't going to have a happy ending for someone. Also the chase at the end of The Guest Area was amazingly dark. Just a sweating stumbling tide of hungry fatties wanting to eat you and loving RUN! :stare:.

What was one of the most unsettling moments in the game for me was simply breaking The Lady's vase to get the key inside. Her singing just stops, no sound of annoyance, she doesn't come to investigate, she's just gone.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jimbot posted:

Horizon is best on Very Hard. You really have to make use of all your tools and be very careful while out hunting.

I dunno. I just beat Horizon and the difficulty seems a little weird. I played on Hard from the start and I think I found things mostly tedious moreso than being hard I guess? I used traps and tripcaster a lot early on, but having to use traps later seemed like they really didn't do poo poo and would just get me killed more often so I just stopped bother. Once I got Purple Hunter and Sharpshooter bow, and realized the power of decked out flame arrows and ropecaster, the game got pretty easy. Prior to that, it was really just a huge slog killing enemies.

Also I was an idiot and ran around with Stealth Suit the whole time until near the end when I realized that if used the Melee armor my life would have been a lot loving easier. So if Very Hard just bumps up enemy damage and HP even more I don't see that being very interesting and probably more annoying than anything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Very Hard doesn't do much of anything to monster HP, but it does increase their damage such that you can't really eat many shots to the face. Personally I thought it was great, it made the world feel appropriately dangerous and I had to really prepare for each encounter ahead of time with traps/potions. Every machine has at least 2-3 solid ways of defeating them in Horizon, you just have to be willing to scan and adjust your strategy accordingly. If you're the type who just wants to focus on a single loadout through the entire game then you're not going to have a good time on Hard/VH though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Little Nightmares was fantastic all the way to the end. Once you see Six eat a Gnome, especially when it was helpfully offering a sausage, you just knew things weren't going to have a happy ending for someone. Also the chase at the end of The Guest Area was amazingly dark. Just a sweating stumbling tide of hungry fatties wanting to eat you and loving RUN! :stare:.

What was one of the most unsettling moments in the game for me was simply breaking The Lady's vase to get the key inside. Her singing just stops, no sound of annoyance, she doesn't come to investigate, she's just gone.

The entire guest house segment was fantastic.

Re. Horizon. I thought it felt right playing on hard for the first half and bumping it to very hard after that. Just too much stuff that instantly wrecks you early on.The cauldrons are ridiculous on Very hard when you are like level 10.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 30, 2017

revolther
May 27, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Horizon is best on Very Hard. You really have to make use of all your tools and be very careful while out hunting.
This is a total bullshit lie. Horizon is best played on Hard at the most. At "Very Hard" everything you encounter is a hacky, "oh I dodged but that still killed me?" sort of affair.

If you want to stealth hunt every group of robot dinosaurs(and naturally they form in groups), knowing that to survive you have to set off attacks on their explosive AOD damage weakpoints to damage a group before then triggering a free-for-all ATTRITION fest, Play it on "Very Hard".

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Horizon on Very Hard is cool, and good.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I've never played/heard anything about Persona but 5 looks cool in the sort of way each fifth game in a series does.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

WaltherFeng posted:

I've never played/heard anything about Persona but 5 looks cool in the sort of way each fifth game in a series does.
Cool.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I love Horizon but I feel like the leveling system is screwy. I don't really mind because the more tools you have the more fun fighting dinosaurs is, but I haven't spent THAT much time loving around and I feel like I have way more of the skill tree unlocked than I should for not having gotten to (early-ish location spoiler) Meridian yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RichterIX posted:

I love Horizon but I feel like the leveling system is screwy. I don't really mind because the more tools you have the more fun fighting dinosaurs is, but I haven't spent THAT much time loving around and I feel like I have way more of the skill tree unlocked than I should for not having gotten to (early-ish location spoiler) Meridian yet.

It's really in your best interest to book it to Meridian ASAP, as it's your central hub for the game with all the vendors that actually have a full range of gear.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's really in your best interest to book it to Meridian ASAP, as it's your central hub for the game with all the vendors that actually have a full range of gear.

Thanks, I'll do that. I got distracted by vantage points but they'll be there when I have unlimited fast travel and maybe some of the novelty of walking everywhere has worn off.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Are, are you implying I'm a bad hobby overall?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Can we get back to safe, mutually agreed upon generalizations of entire races, such as "the Japanese (developers) do not understand how to utilize the internet in their games..."

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Are, are you implying I'm a bad hobby overall?

I like video games and consider playing them to be an acceptable hobby.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I just played horizon on normal cuz I don't gotta prove myself to no video game

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

FishBulb posted:

I just played horizon on normal cuz I don't gotta prove myself to no video game

Same. I play most stuff on normal unless a particular games whole thing is that it is designed to be harsh-but-fair like the Souls games or something.

A lot of that stems from devs basically deciding that: "bigger numbers=harder" in a lot of cases and it breaks the core mechanics of a good few games.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I got my Platnium for Persona 5, time to never play it again.

(until the enhanced version)

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Wow, wasn't it only released this month? :aaa: How long did it take you to get the platinum?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Harlock posted:

I got my Platnium for Persona 5, time to never play it again.

(until the enhanced version)

How many playthroughs did it take you?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Aardark posted:

Wow, wasn't it only released this month? :aaa: How long did it take you to get the platinum?

BisterdDave posted:

How many playthroughs did it take you?

My file is at 108 hours. I did all but the three trophies you can't do until NG+. You can get all three of them as early as May, but it took me until June to do one of the activities.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I didn't get the plat but it seems like a pretty easy one to do honestly

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Harlock posted:

My file is at 108 hours. I did all but the three trophies you can't do until NG+. You can get all three of them as early as May, but it took me until June to do one of the activities.

Were you following a guide for your first playthrough?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can see why someone called Prey "Bioshock in space"beyond ignorance of System Shock. The old-timey art deco design is very much reminiscent of the former and not the latter.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

BisterdDave posted:

Were you following a guide for your first playthrough?
Yeah. It's not that hard without it according to some.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I have the plat in Persona 5 as well and it took me 140 hours. I didn't play with a guide the first time and got only couple social links done. You can definitely get it done sooner if you use a guide the entire time but where's the fun in that? My 140 hours was after 2 full plays of the game. It's not a hard platinum at all, just long and one trophy you need to know how to exploit a boss beforehand.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Finally got started on Persona 5, almost to the end of the castle, and a random heavenly punisher encounter proceeds to back to back AOE my entire team to death without me being able to move or announcing a Charge like the miniboss did, giving me my first game over and sending me alllll the way back to the miniboss version of this fucker. I really should've backtracked and saved at some point but didn't want to deal with everything respawning.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

haveblue posted:

I can see why someone called Prey "Bioshock in space"beyond ignorance of System Shock. The old-timey art deco design is very much reminiscent of the former and not the latter.

Prey felt like such an odd mishmash of other games. On the surface it feels straight up like a re-skinned clunkier Dishonored. The set up was Half Life 1 to the point where I sort of forgot what game I was playing for a minute, then you see all the architecture and it's straight up Bioshock.

I really felt. " OK I'm playing Dishonored, now I'm playing Half Life, now I'm playing Bioshock...Oh god why are the controls so bad?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nephzinho posted:

Finally got started on Persona 5, almost to the end of the castle, and a random heavenly punisher encounter proceeds to back to back AOE my entire team to death without me being able to move or announcing a Charge like the miniboss did, giving me my first game over and sending me alllll the way back to the miniboss version of this fucker. I really should've backtracked and saved at some point but didn't want to deal with everything respawning.

That's the official P5 experience