Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i have to give credit to quebecoise, they know how to write loathsome characters

"Write what you know."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

"Write what you know."

WOW HOLY poo poo IT'S ALMOST AS IF THAT WAS THE JOKE IMPLICIT IN THE POST

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Condiv posted:

Yep. Not much since I work for a public research institution, but it's enough to keep me in a small apartment and I can feed myself.

That's really cool. You're basically living the life I wanted out of grad school.

Randler posted:

Any American who says he is not rich should be required to post a balance sheet including all their assets and liabilities. Because BFC is full of six-digit earning home owners who consider themselves struggling middle class.

I mean, if I were earning six figures but had the kind of debt most Americans get into to come to that point in their careers, I'd probably call myself less rich than I am now, earning higher-end five digits but with zero debt. How do things compare with other countries in that regard, by the way?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I mean, if I were earning six figures but had the kind of debt most Americans get into to come to that point in their careers, I'd probably call myself less rich than I am now, earning higher-end five digits but with zero debt. How do things compare with other countries in that regard, by the way?

i mean also anybody making high five figures or low six figures is making far more than the vast majority of us degenerate un-catholic americans, randlerism aside

even the inflated mean (50% more than the median because of how rich the richest americans are) is way less than that

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 30, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I mean, if I were earning six figures but had the kind of debt most Americans get into to come to that point in their careers, I'd probably call myself less rich than I am now, earning higher-end five digits but with zero debt.

Not to mention the fact that the U.S. social safety net is in complete tatters, so cost of living is, uh, a little high.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

j-joke? joooooe kuh? what is joke

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Majorian posted:

Not to mention the fact that the U.S. social safety net is in complete tatters, so cost of living is, uh, a little high.

You basically pay no taxes and don't have to pay any VAT. So all those college educated goons hand-wringing about their 60k incomes should be first against the wall once the revolution comes. :colbert:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

UberJew posted:

i mean also anybody making high five figures or low six figures is making far more than the vast majority of us degenerate un-catholic americans, randlerism aside

Oh, absolutely. Heck, my Christmas bonus put me above the average, not just the median household. Within six months I was able to save more than I'd been making on my most lucrative year as a grad student.

To conclude, unless I get laid off and am unemployed again or whatever, be sure to point me to the nearest patriotic guillotine center if I ever complain about money problems again.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, absolutely. Heck, my Christmas bonus put me above the average, not just the median household. Within six months I was able to save more than I'd been making on my most lucrative year as a grad student.

To conclude, unless I get laid off and am unemployed again or whatever, be sure to point me to the nearest patriotic guillotine center if I ever complain about money problems again.

Getting a Christmas bonus is by itself already a guillotine-able HENRY offense.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Randler posted:

You basically pay no taxes and don't have to pay any VAT. So all those college educated goons hand-wringing about their 60k incomes should be first against the wall once the revolution comes. :colbert:

median individual income is 30k so

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Randler posted:

You basically pay no taxes and don't have to pay any VAT.

Yeah, but poo poo like medical bills can pretty quickly eclipse what we save in taxes.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
when i was employed i made 33k with medical and dental and i was definitely the most prosperous person i knew

now im unemployed and broke but c'est la vie

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Brainiac Five posted:

it genuinely wasn't

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Randler posted:

Getting a Christmas bonus is by itself already a guillotine-able HENRY offense.

I'll let you know when I'm next in Europe (probably in itself guillotine-able?), and you can give it a shot. :wink:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Majorian posted:

Not to mention the fact that the U.S. social safety net is in complete tatters

It shows some problems, but the US still has the largest social safety net and still spends more on its social safety net than multiple runners up combined.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's really cool. You're basically living the life I wanted out of grad school.

Thanks. I've really been super lucky since they hired me on before I had a degree, and I recognize that. I just wish researchers in the public sector got paid more (or that I had a PhD yet so I could get a raise :lol:)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

:lol:

you owe it to yourself to click the link

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'll let you know when I'm next in Europe (probably in itself guillotine-able?), and you can give it a shot. :wink:

no shipping

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

UberJew posted:

:lol:

you owe it to yourself to click the link

Becoming a professional YouTube personality is a valid social safety net, because otherwise I cannot understand how those people make money. :colbert:

(That should have been a link to military spending, btw.)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mods, I think JeffersonClay hacked Randler's account.

e: lol nevermind, good link

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You're a troop. You'll get the gallows, as is tradition.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

mandatory lesbian posted:

j-joke? joooooe kuh? what is joke

"quebec is full of people who dont speak English lol"

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Condiv posted:

Thanks. I've really been super lucky since they hired me on before I had a degree, and I recognize that. I just wish researchers in the public sector got paid more (or that I had a PhD yet so I could get a raise :lol:)

hell, same

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Wb eff, remember that time some itt thought you were I? Good times.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

"Some" would just be me, I"m afraid.:downs:

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

It's a shame that guy won't admit he was wrong/cut out his own tongue.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

It's a shame that guy won't admit he was wrong/cut out his own tongue.

Majorian posted:

"Some" would just be me, I"m afraid.:downs:

lol

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Can't wait for your wifey to accidentally snap your spine and liberate us from your posting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

your tongue still seems to be in your mouth

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Condiv posted:

your tongue still seems to be in ur mouth

That wouldn't affect my ability to post. Check and mate.:smug:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Majorian posted:

That wouldn't affect my ability to post. Check and mate.:smug:

:gibs:

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Can you two bond over your mutual stupidity elsewhere?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
You should probably go be bitter elsewhere.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

You should probably go be bitter elsewhere.

I don't think anyone who uses the phrase "identity politics" should be allowed to mingle with actual human beings.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Randler posted:

You're a troop. You'll get the gallows, as is tradition.

As long as I have at least one hand free to give the finger as I die, I don't really care.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
eff and slashie should have a kid, we could bottle that child's rage and solve the global energy crisis

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

boner confessor posted:

eff and slashie should have a kid, we could bottle that child's rage and solve the global energy crisis

Looking forward to your daughter delivering the ultimate own on you.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

boner confessor posted:

To be clear-you're advocating for selective breeding and then exploiting the child for economic gain?

:allbuttons:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
This also marks the third consecutive month where a closed AUSPOL thread was my first moment of realization that the month was ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hoo boy its been a while since i havent had some pleasure with megacorporation customer support *discovers half a dozen old paypal accounts registered to his name*

• Locked thread