Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Vostok is a very shallow man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
A few posts in this thread have said Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records isn't awful or is worth watching but I'm having real trouble getting over the girls' school uniforms being fetish stripper outfits, even in just the first five minutes.

I know this is anime and all but it clashes so hard against the rest of the shows' aesthetic. We're given a vaguely turn of the century (ish) generic european city where everyone except the magic school students is dressed very nicely; the stripper versions of a sailor uniform really don't fit at all and it's very jarring. Most other anime in the genre have uniforms that parents might conceivably allow their children to wear, even if they're impractical.

I guess their uniforms should be warning enough of the type of show this is and I have no one to blame but myself if I continue on.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I tapped out after the attempted rape scene in episode 2.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This week in anime pick-up lines:

https://twitter.com/gabbomatic/status/858270831562149888

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Anime/status/858297325386596353

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
X

e: wait this isn't the chat thread

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doesn't mean we don't want to celebrate Ranka Lee's birthday

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well in that case.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think this may be the definite prompt to just stop watching Eromanga-sensei...

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ngl it was a real boring episode

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

nielsm posted:

I think this may be the definite prompt to just stop watching Eromanga-sensei...

I don't know what to say if your prompt wasn't that it was a series by the Oreimo guy about a dude and his little sister.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Bahamut: Virgin Soul managed (so far) to be miles ahead of S1, and S1 was already pretty darn good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Materia just pulled that apocalypse prophecy out of her rear end.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

Materia just pulled that apocalypse prophecy out of her rear end.
Man and I thought we could just have fun with these anime characters here but NOOOOPE TIME CAUSALITY'S A BITCH! :livintrope:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
let's use the shots where the faces are off model for our code geass sequel pv

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5kam98

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the animation on the stuff that actually matters is good, so sure

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That didn't look that bad...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Relin posted:

consider: distance models

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Relin posted:

This is the same video from last year's anniversary event. Just with higher image quality and resolution. it's more of a teaser than a real promotional video. That would imply there's a date or schedule for the new production and so far we have none. The 2017 reference is for the recap movies of the original show and even those haven't been released yet. I really doubt we'll see the Code Geass sequel until 2018 or even 2019, if Sunrise is too busy with other projects, so this video is just something they cooked up to excite fans in the meanwhile.

wielder fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 30, 2017

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

A month into Spring Season, here's my quick wrap-up of shows I've sampled without threads:

Armed Girl's Machiavellism - There was a non-zero chance that this could have been an excellent concept with great execution, but yea not today.

toothbrush.gif Season "2" - Only interesting when the viewpoints intersect with what happened in season 1. I find the main elf character terrible, but mostly because my tolerance level for generic slow-developing shounen-esque overpowered main characters is extremely low. I might just fast-forward all the parts with the main character and watch for the neat callbacks to season 1, because so far the pacing feels sluggish.

Renai Boukun/Love Tyrant - I plead the 5th, Your Honor. *gets stabbed in the face by a drive-by yandere*

Boring Girlfriend Season 2 - First season was aiight, this season improves on that to slighty better than aiight.

Sagrada Reset - The spiritual homage to Hyouka, combined with a redo of Beautiful Bones. w/e I'm in.

such moon, much beautiful, wow (i.e. LINE app commercial) - The use of CG background people has increased over the past few seasons, and it's an odd juxtaposition to see them in a character drama that relies so much on environmental mood. Also the characters are so teenage cringy af that it's actually incredible.

WorldEnd - Has potential to be great, but also has potential to become another Magical Girl Raising Project.

Zero kara mahou fo sho - For a concept as edgelord as this, they are executing it almost as perfectly as they could, thus making it an enjoyable watch, but boy it could drop off a cliff at any moment.

edit: bonus review
Re:CREATORS - For a concept as edgelord as this, they are executing it almost as perfectly as they could, thus making it an enjoyable watch, but boy it could drop off a cliff at any moment.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 30, 2017

kater
Nov 16, 2010

boob ribbon gaiden has been such a monumental disappointment.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lefiya is incredibly gay.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

who

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Danmachi 2 elf.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

There will be a bunch of ANN articles about how it single handedly saved the gays and anime and a bunch of dudes in the Worst of Season thread will post like "Just want everyone to know I've got nothing against the Homosexual Lifestyle but I didn't watch this seasons most popular show about dudes mashing their muscular asses together"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So I havent paid much attention this season, what would people say is good? Preferably not moe

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

So I havent paid much attention this season, what would people say is good? Preferably not moe

I'm enjoying MHA season 2 and Kenka Banchou Otome: Girl Beats Boys

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Glumslinger posted:

Re-Creators and Frame Arms Girls

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

are you a loving idiot, how is frame arms girls not moe

try Seikaisuru Kado instead. its anime arrival

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

The Glumslinger posted:

My Hero Academia season two, Sekaisuru Kado, Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul, Tsuki ga Kirei. If you haven't watched season one of MHA or Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis you should watch them, both are very good and both shows are continuations of the previous content, though you could watch Virgin Soul without watching Genesis since there is a big time skip in between but Genesis is worth watching all on its own.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Davincie posted:

are you a loving idiot, how is frame arms girls not moe

try Seikaisuru Kado instead. its anime arrival

FAGirls spends more time on how destructive the Girls are than how cute they are

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
disagree

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Hope you like sequels, because the big hits for you are likely to be Bahamut, Titan, and Eccentric Family. Not many new properties that'll fit the bill - Sakura Quest might be a little on the moe side for you (depending on whether Shirobako was within acceptable tolerances), and while Re:Creators may be an impressive spectacle eventually, it doesn't seem like it's going to have the writing or directorial chops to really do its excellent premise justice.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Thanks, I'll check some of those out

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kado is good non-sequel. it has a really good prequel ep, starts the show proper as a sort-of procedural Arrival, and then goes into a global political fight over alien technology.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

This is one hell of a season in my book. Lots of stuff at least worth checking out whether you stick with them or not, moe or not.

Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul
Attack on Titan S2
My Hero Academia S2
Kado: The Right Answer
Re:Creators
Tsuki ga Kirei
Granblue Fantasy
The Eccentric Family 2
Alice and Zoroku
WorldEnd (aka that show with the title that's absurdly long even by LN standards)

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Feels like a lot of the good shows this season aren't on Crunchyroll :(

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

brainwrinkle posted:

Feels like a lot of the good shows this season aren't on Crunchyroll :(

Well Crunchy doesn't have that many shows quantitively this season, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

This is one hell of a season in my book. Lots of stuff at least worth checking out whether you stick with them or not, moe or not.

Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul
Attack on Titan S2
My Hero Academia S2
Kado: The Right Answer
Re:Creators
Tsuki ga Kirei
Granblue Fantasy
The Eccentric Family 2
Alice and Zoroku
WorldEnd (aka that show with the title that's absurdly long even by LN standards)

'No moe' trims it down a bit, though. A bunch of the interesting-looking new properties fail that test.

• Locked thread