Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jeb! 2020: Don't you wish you clapped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

punchymcpunch posted:

i wonder what its like knowin everything you eat has been spat in

even packed lunches

how does one spit into a lunchables

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
speaking of campaign promises, where's my digital spaceship?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

logikv9 posted:

Every media outlet has decided the main takeaway from 2016 is that the only way to succeed is to be as close to Fox News as possible

the main takeaway...

*nitecrew shades drop down*

... is the 12 piece bucket

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Weeping Wound posted:

yeah, their warehouses would make Upton Sinclair blush as he throws up his guts

I worked in an Amazon warehouse. They try to get around federal break time laws by telling employees to go to a different part of the warehouse where there will be more empty space so you'll be more efficient, and usually it takes the whole break to walk to the new position. You're not allowed to sit on the factory floor, even during break time. Sometimes I was working in the part of the warehouse furthest from the bathrooms (third floor, next to one of the warehouse's corners) and at that distance, it'll take longer to walk to them and get back than there is time during the break. I worked in the stowing department. The cycle was that you take a cart from an aisle where all the carts are parked. Each has three stacks of yellow plastic totes, four totes high, 6 feet tall. You scan a bar code next to the aisle. You move your cart into an empty aisle and scan bar codes on your totes. You press a button on the scanner, scan a tote, scan a bar code on an item in the tote, scan a bar code on a cardboard bin or a space on a shelf between dividers, then stock the item. Then you take all the items with defective bar codes to an aisle with a checkered flag to someone called a "problem solver" who either assigns a new bar code or takes the item. Then you put the empty cart back. Your location in the store is GPS tracked through the scanner. Some high school dropout workers employees have done things like take vibrators to the bathrooms and put them back, so they look at their employees as a kind of rabble that is guilty 'til proven innocent.

If you have long hair, you have to wear it above your neck, in case you're working near a conveyor belt as a federal safety thing, because the conveyors can snap your head clear off your shoulders, which was fine with me. Stockers are judged on their efficiency in terms of items stocked per minute. It's a pain to find a place to fit the larger items, and everyone knows that the smaller items like lug nuts or gift cards with individual bar codes are worth a lot more, so you have people cherry-picking carts to see which are the best ones, I was warned about employees "stealing" other employees carts left during the break. A lot of employees were in the same boat I was. There was an immigrant from Nigeria whose phone I borrowed and got into the same taxi as me, because we both didn't have cars, the taxi charges $12 for a trip which is about an hour's salary, she didn't have cash on her so we had to stop at an ATM. They gauge their metrics such that they have 50% turnover within 2 months or some high rate, but they don't fire based on rate during the first month. I worked there for 2 months, and as an aside about America and prescription medicine, took advantage of their insurance policy to get meds I normally order from overseas for $50 domestically at $30, marked down from $200.

The thing about the breaks was that usually when it was time for break, I didn't want to stop. I just wanted to keep working and go home earlier. In fact, I didn't even want to stop for lunch, go back all the way to the front of the store, and come back. When I wanted to take a break near the end of the shift, though, when my legs were sore and I was getting tired, we weren't allowed to sit while stocking, even if all the empty bins were on the floor. I didn't talk about the pickers, the people assigned to shop for online customers and put things in their carts. They can walk 12 miles a day for Amazon and are often tempted to run in order to make rate, so they have to often be scolded to "Amazon walk". In the same way that they heavily imply to employees they should skip breaks to relocate and increase efficiency, so, too, did I notice people leaving behind hazmat material sometimes, because you don't lose points for that.

I was on my last semester taking a computer programming course in Python, Linear Algebra, and an intro to working with satellite data. I'd come back from my 10 hour night shift and struggle to stay awake through lecture, but got all A's through making tape recordings in case I fell asleep. On the first day during the factory tour, I ate so many tortilla chips during an assignment I thought I was going to die and threw up all over the factory floor. They probably should've fired me right then, so I can't fault them for anything else that happened. During the orientation, they talked about how all the time they're testing their website GUI to cut down on the microseconds it takes for people to order. They welcome suggestions from employees like the checkered flags and also do their website-like efficiency testing on changes like that. I remember they said that their #1 product for their "delivery within an hour, maybe by drone" service in major cities like New York was...sparkling water. Rich people can't get enough of sparkling water by drone. This is the future we live in. Anyway, that is my Amazon story, lost to the 5980th page of C-SPAM.

http://i.imgur.com/qlhCh5j.mp4

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Shear Modulus posted:

Jeb! 2020: Don't you wish you clapped

they'll clap. they'll all clap. i'll show them. i'll show them who will fix it

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Agrajag posted:

how does one spit into a lunchables

go undercover at the factory in china

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

speaking of campaign promises, where's my digital spaceship?

trump will soon be shipping opiates directly to every household, don't you worry

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

galenanorth posted:

I worked in an Amazon warehouse. They try to get around federal break time laws by telling employees to go to a different part of the warehouse where there will be more empty space so you'll be more efficient, and usually it takes the whole break to walk to the new position. You're not allowed to sit on the factory floor, even during break time. Sometimes I was working in the part of the warehouse furthest from the bathrooms (third floor, next to one of the warehouse's corners) and at that distance, it'll take longer to walk to them and get back than there is time during the break. I worked in the stowing department. The cycle was that you take a cart from an aisle where all the carts are parked. Each has three stacks of yellow plastic totes, four totes high, 6 feet tall. You scan a bar code next to the aisle. You move your cart into an empty aisle and scan bar codes on your totes. You press a button on the scanner, scan a tote, scan a bar code on an item in the tote, scan a bar code on a cardboard bin or a space on a shelf between dividers, then stock the item. Then you take all the items with defective bar codes to an aisle with a checkered flag to someone called a "problem solver" who either assigns a new bar code or takes the item. Then you put the empty cart back. Your location in the store is GPS tracked through the scanner. Some high school dropout workers employees have done things like take vibrators to the bathrooms and put them back, so they look at their employees as a kind of rabble that is guilty 'til proven innocent.

If you have long hair, you have to wear it above your neck, in case you're working near a conveyor belt as a federal safety thing, because the conveyors can snap your head clear off your shoulders, which was fine with me. Stockers are judged on their efficiency in terms of items stocked per minute. It's a pain to find a place to fit the larger items, and everyone knows that the smaller items like lug nuts or gift cards with individual bar codes are worth a lot more, so you have people cherry-picking carts to see which are the best ones, I was warned about employees "stealing" other employees carts left during the break. A lot of employees were in the same boat I was. There was an immigrant from Nigeria whose phone I borrowed and got into the same taxi as me, because we both didn't have cars, the taxi charges $12 for a trip which is about an hour's salary, she didn't have cash on her so we had to stop at an ATM. They gauge their metrics such that they have 50% turnover within 2 months or some high rate, but they don't fire based on rate during the first month. I worked there for 2 months, and as an aside about America and prescription medicine, took advantage of their insurance policy to get meds I normally order from overseas for $50 domestically at $30, marked down from $200.

The thing about the breaks was that usually when it was time for break, I didn't want to stop. I just wanted to keep working and go home earlier. In fact, I didn't even want to stop for lunch, go back all the way to the front of the store, and come back. When I wanted to take a break near the end of the shift, though, when my legs were sore and I was getting tired, we weren't allowed to sit while stocking, even if all the empty bins were on the floor. I didn't talk about the pickers, the people assigned to shop for online customers and put things in their carts. They can walk 12 miles a day for Amazon and are often tempted to run in order to make rate, so they have to often be scolded to "Amazon walk". In the same way that they heavily imply to employees they should skip breaks to relocate and increase efficiency, so, too, did I notice people leaving behind hazmat material sometimes, because you don't lose points for that.

I was on my last semester taking a computer programming course in Python, Linear Algebra, and an intro to working with satellite data. I'd come back from my 10 hour night shift and struggle to stay awake through lecture, but got all A's through making tape recordings in case I fell asleep. On the first day during the factory tour, I ate so many tortilla chips during an assignment I thought I was going to die and threw up all over the factory floor. They probably should've fired me right then, so I can't fault them for anything else that happened. During the orientation, they talked about how all the time they're testing their website GUI to cut down on the microseconds it takes for people to order. They welcome suggestions from employees like the checkered flags and also do their website-like efficiency testing on changes like that. I remember they said that their #1 product for their "delivery within an hour, maybe by drone" service in major cities like New York was...sparkling water. Rich people can't get enough of sparkling water by drone. This is the future we live in. Anyway, that is my Amazon story, lost to the 5980th page of C-SPAM.

i liked it but im still gonna drive thru dot gif u

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

galenanorth posted:

sir this dystopian future america

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

galenanorth posted:

capitalism fuckin blows

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

i like how they just cant bear to let employees have breaks

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

keynes promised we'd be post-work by now

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

Defund power rangers

Typical government waste brought you by the zordemocrats

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

galenanorth posted:

I worked in an Amazon warehouse.

A Good Post.

Taylorism lives, apparently. Oh, and maybe we're moving toward that Manna future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manna_(novel)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

punchymcpunch posted:

keynes promised we'd be post-work by now

IF we were sensible.

So yeah there were some problems with his assumptions

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Agronox posted:

A Good Post.

Taylorism lives, apparently. Oh, and maybe we're moving toward that Manna future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manna_(novel)

So it's like Gods Meth? That owns

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

galenanorth posted:

I read every word

Amazon sucks and we need a GMI as soon as possible so these poo poo-tier jobs can be automated

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

galenanorth posted:

that honorable days work, or whatever mike rowe says about poo poo jobs

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

capitalism fuckin blows

up 8 year olds

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Hassan Minaj's line that watching cnn is like watching cnn watch the news was bang on by the by. gently caress cnn.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
anyone got a quote on what mike rowe says about people should subject themselves to lovely conditions to do lovely jobs for lovely pay because its honorable or some poo poo?

i dont remember the exact wording but i remember it being condescending as gently caress and also real lovely

some poo poo to do with salt of the earth crap.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

:hellyeah:

and the hardware would slow it down when there was too many bad guys shootin at you to help ya out :byodood:

it took me so long to figure out the best play is to ride the cruiser (my cousin read it as cruiser and i cant forget lol) til u got the mil for the efreet then get that and load it up with literally everything and pause it when i needed to change secondary weapons hahahaha man i that game was so much fukken fun and the sdtk blem my little mind in 3rd grade

I haven't thought of that game in 20 years or so but I remember the A10 being the best bang for buck

The Jack Chop Guy posted:

Where the heck did you guys have to pay 90 bucks for an snes game, i dont think i ever saw one above 60

I definitely remember having to save my allowance for a long time to get a new $70 game. I also remember being very selective when I would rent games to make sure I really wanted to buy said game.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

punchymcpunch posted:

i like how they just cant bear to let employees have breaks

some of my friends worked at a call center for isp's back in the early 2000's and they had a break/sick day policy that allowed everyone a set number each quarter or whatever. this was one of those places where you had to log out and in for every break and when you got to work and left and if you were late it counted as a strike against you. enough of those are you were automatically fired. thing is, this led to people just not going to work if they were going to be late and had some strikes. even for smoke breaks, if you were late coming back it was safer to just take a sick day for the rest of the day cause you might get fired otherwise.

obviously this was a genius plan that created an ideal work environment and increased productivity exponentially while also weeding out bad employees

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

galenanorth posted:

drat

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I found vid of me getting my piss tape video on TV, about 30min mark

About half way through they yelled at me sadly

https://pcntv.com/2017/04/29/president-donald-trump-protest-rally/

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
yeah that cat got hosed up

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i was promised the piss tape om day 100

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

if Zuckerberg runs he would also undo my efforts to demoralize CHUDs into not voting at all in 2018 or 2020 because they'd be fired up to vote against a Jew

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Epic High Five posted:

if Zuckerberg runs he would also undo my efforts to demoralize CHUDs into not voting at all in 2018 or 2020 because they'd be fired up to vote against a Jew

stop making up new acronyms you twat

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
717bikelife tho

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

havent they all decided trump is controlled by the jews

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

today is day 101 goofuses

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

SKULL.GIF posted:

today is day 101 goofuses

i jerked off to aurora snow this morning to commemorate the day

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I work in trades and whenever I ask one of the older guys about getting their kids in to the trade, they all laugh in my face and call me names and give me a swirly

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

im melting down

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

galenanorth posted:

Weird that Amazon puts these in crappy red states that

galenanorth posted:

Pounded in the Butt by my red state government

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

triple sulk posted:

im melting down

https://twitter.com/CustomsBorder/status/858743010296836096

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

ScrubLeague posted:

717bikelife tho

BYKE.LYFE

• Locked thread