Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"Live an Honest Student Life" is the best mission objective in a video game, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The goals are awesome, actually.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I'm winding down on playing this for a while, but man, what a ride. I even went further into NG+ than I usually do right away in Persona games. Maybe it's recency bias but I'm not sure how this can't be my favorite Persona game. It's like they made one just for me.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"Live an Honest Student Life" is the best mission objective in a video game, sorry

:yeah:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

There's definitely some gems, and if you have to choose then leaning into odd, Power-Rangers-Esque Justice & Friendship phrasing is preferable over some uncanny valley attempt to sound like real teenagers. Honestly though it feels at times like grading this game on a curve. Of the JRPGs I've played, this was one of the more coherent, which is some pretty backhanded praise.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

By the end of the game I felt real bad about making Kawakami come over every other night to do my laundry, give me free massages or craft me useless poo poo I wasn't going to use anyway. I didn't even have any Confidants left to rank up at night, so I'd just waste the night away stockpiling burgers.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Yeah, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.
"I could use some Curry right now but I am really uncomfortable with using her as my masseuse AND my cook"

Not that I was above giving her off-screen smooches on a ferris wheel.
The illicitness of a student/teacher relationship? Please, I'm more of an adult man than every male teacher in Shujin academy put together. What Gods have THEY shot in the head anyway?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
calling over kawakami to do laundry is the worst cause you just leave her watching the washer without a book or her phone. she just sits there

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
She is sustained by her crippling depression over the realization that this is what her life is now.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Moltrey posted:

calling over kawakami to do laundry is the worst cause you just leave her watching the washer without a book or her phone. she just sits there

she most definitely has a phone, how could you have called her in the first place?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Moltrey posted:

She is a very meditative person :unsmith:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

CharlestonJew posted:

she most definitely has a phone, how could you have called her in the first place?
you call her through the maid service. every time you call her there's like "Oh, it's you!" piece of text iirc

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Moltrey posted:

you call her through the maid service. every time you call her there's like "Oh, it's you!" piece of text iirc

She texts you on her Becky phone though.

I'm pretty sure she only had you use the phone at LeBlanc because unlike most of the cast she has a goddamn clue how phones work and doesn't want to have a record of you calling the maid service from your personal.

You know because you're an underage student and she's your teacher.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah but her texts are mostly "Hey, I'm working tonight, so please call and request me!" She doesn't get a ton of work so she's probably managing the phone. I don't think you're calling her personal cell.

Either way she doesn't use, she just sits there watching a rinse cycle

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If laundry has to be watched constantly and takes all night, does that mean Joker is constantly running around in smelly unwashed clothes

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's only clothes you take from someone's psyche that require careful attention

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
hm this armor seems to be corrupted with fragmented data

just put in some oxy clean and we're all good

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Come to think of it, is there even a shower in Leblanc

Is Joker the smelliest Persona MC?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Come on, have you seen how many medicinal baths he takes?

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
Getting near the end and the only thing I dislike so far is how ridiculously telegraphed the traitor is, to the point where I was like "well of course it's not him that would be way too obvious and easy, the pancake thing is a red herring", but nope. My friend who's in dungeon 6 is absolutely convinced it's Mishima which would've been cooler.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

bog savant posted:

Getting near the end and the only thing I dislike so far is how ridiculously telegraphed the traitor is, to the point where I was like "well of course it's not him that would be way too obvious and easy, the pancake thing is a red herring", but nope. My friend who's in dungeon 6 is absolutely convinced it's Mishima which would've been cooler.
I stayed up way too late one night and somehow convinced myself that the traitor was actually going to be Ryuji.

I'm...not sure how I came to conclusion, exactly.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The twist isn't that it's Goro, it's that everybody knows it's Goro.

e: though that's pretty telegraphed too with the drugs conveniently obscuring just the memories relating to the plan

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There was another thread on these forums where no one was even talking about Persona and someone just posted "Yusuke is the traitor", so even when it seemed so obvious who it actually was, I was like, "Could Yusuke....?" *thinking emoji*

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Raxivace posted:

I stayed up way too late one night and somehow convinced myself that the traitor was actually going to be Ryuji.

I'm...not sure how I came to conclusion, exactly.

I convinced myself Morgana was a girl up until I played the first few hours of the game.

Morgana and Mona are really feminine names in English.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
They really shoulda made the traitor anyone but Goro

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Plus it's not like there are no red herrings; the game does drop hints that could be taken as implying that Makoto or Haru might be the traitor. Goro's obviously much more telegraphed than either of them, though.

Mishima and Ryuji are both in positions around that time where what they want doesn't really match up with what the rest of the team wants, and if the story had gone very differently it would have been possible to imagine an adversary using that to trick them into making a mistake. Neither of them would lead to you getting captured the way you do, though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

CharlestonJew posted:

hm this armor seems to be corrupted with fragmented data

just put in some oxy clean and we're all good

nothing like a good wash to get rid of all the spyware

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Moltrey posted:

They really shoulda made the traitor anyone but Goro

Agreed, he never should have been allowed to join the team to betray them.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

IIRC Yusuke has some doubts in the later part of the story about whether any of Madarame's kindness toward him really was genuine or not, so I could sort of see that being used as a basis to think he might begin doubting whether the Phantom Thieves' actions are truly just.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Atlus has used P5 art for things that's literally just the steelbook edition's cover art but colored and cropped in such a way that Goro is not in it and that just breaks my heart. Like he's right next to Makoto too, they just did it to spite me

Kurtofan posted:

nothing like a good wash to get rid of all the spyware
the times Goro was on my team were the best times of my life

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I thought the twist was going to be that there was no traitor, so I spent the whole game trusting Goro.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Moltrey posted:

Atlus has used P5 art for things that's literally just the steelbook edition's cover art but colored and cropped in such a way that Goro is not in it

Good.

Honestly, I thought Goro being the traitor was fine, it just changes the nature of the twist. It's so obvious to the player that Goro is a duplicitous piece of poo poo that you start to wonder why the party seem to be the last to notice, then the reveal happens.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Oh, and you're probably supposed to be able to suspect Sojiro too, simply because he's such a dick in the early part of the game and not everyone will have done his social link.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Also can I just say that I'm really glad this game didn't pull a Telltale's Game of Thrones and change who the traitor is based on your actions?

I think that might have legit ruined the game for me.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nah, even in the main plot Sojiro drops the tough adult act pretty fast.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Akechi's double-cross was incredibly obvious but I figured that was done deliberately to conceal that a) the Thieves weren't any more fooled by his bullshit than the player, and b) the real swerve is that "Igor" is also working against you.

My initial guess was Morgana but that was dead and buried immediately after he kissed and made up with the rest of the team, and also after I listened to Akechi for five minutes. I mean, just look at him. Look at that fuckin' guy.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Goro's textbox descriptor before you know his name is Pleasant Boy, why would you ever doubt him

oh yeah, i've seen theories going around that Goro is a half brother to either Futaba or Makoto, depending on the theory, and I just wanna say that's one of the most bonkers things I've heard in my lfie

Raxivace posted:

Also can I just say that I'm really glad this game didn't pull a Telltale's Game of Thrones and change who the traitor is based on your actions?

I think that might have legit ruined the game for me.
lmao is that how that game ended up? jfc

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 30, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i suspected mishima

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Moltrey posted:

oh yeah, i've seen theories going around that Goro is a half brother to either Futaba or Makoto, depending on the theory, and I just wanna say that's one of the most bonkers things I've heard in my lfie

Futaba would be dumb but I can kinda get it from a "I have to connect everything" perspective, but why Makoto?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The "Makoto is Nanako" theories seem more plausible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I remember reading a bit of what I thought was spoilers when P5 was new in Japan that whoever in the party's social link was lowest would be the traitor so I was side-eyeing Haru while I had her. Then I realized Goro has super OP abilities and has no Social Link benefits predicted by Chihaya so I was like. Yeah. This is the dude. No way his dumb aesthetic is gonna fit in.

e: Makoto could confess to her sis out of a sense of not being a useless kid as Sae so often reminds her she is. Yusuke...I dunno. Just or not, he's too excited about art to reallly care about justice.

• Locked thread