Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Moltrey posted:

oh yeah, i've seen theories going around that Goro is either a half brother to either Futaba or Makoto, depending on the theory, and I just wanna say that's one of the most bonkers things I've heard in my lfie

Futaba is entirely plausible; there are only two named characters who could possibly be her biological father and one of them is Shido. Of course the alternative theory is far preferable.

I have no idea what bizarre contortions of theory could lead to Makoto, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think the only party members you couldn't reasonably spin as a traitor are probably Ann and Futaba, the rest all have some hook or storyline where they could totally have betrayed you.

Ryuji would probably be too much a repeat of Junpei though.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

With Makoto, she's a lot more hesitant during that part of the story so it could be taken to be that it's because she's betraying you.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Does Haru ever even swear

She's pure

not remotely believable as a traitor

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

P5 doesn't really do subtlety, so if Shido was Futaba's dad you'd have heard about it. A lot.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Motto posted:

Futaba would be dumb but I can kinda get it from a "I have to connect everything" perspective, but why Makoto?
I guess because we never hear anything about Makoto's mother iirc? and Goro and Makoto are the only people in the game with brown hair.

i mean they're both smart so they might be related

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zore posted:

I think the only party member you couldn't reasonably spin as a traitor is probably Ann, the rest all have some hook or storyline where they could totally have betrayed you.

I really can't imagine a scenario that has Futaba as the traitor. She owes her life to the group and is always hugely invested in what they're doing.

edit: Glad we're in agreement.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Motto posted:

P5 doesn't really do subtlety, so if Shido was Futaba's dad you'd have heard about it. A lot.

There's about as much proof that Teddie is Charlie Tunoku's shadow as there is that Shido is Futaba/Makoto's dad.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

None of those are very compelling arguments for Makoto.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
what if joker was the traitor

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

NRVNQSR posted:

I really can't imagine a scenario that has Futaba as the traitor. She owes her life to the group and is always hugely invested in what they're doing.
Futuba would totally betray you if she found out you've been cheating at Punch Ouch.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

They're not, but if you're looking for the traitor and didn't make the pancakes connection or suspect Akechi because there's no way it's this obvious, then there's plenty of bits in the game to make you go "maybe it's..."

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ChaosArgate posted:

None of those are very compelling arguments for Makoto.
the truth is out there

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I know you guys are mainly taking about the sellout angle, but I'm imagining a version of p5 where your party members are serial killers as determined by RNG and it's hilarious.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Argas posted:

They're not, but if you're looking for the traitor and didn't make the pancakes connection or suspect Akechi because there's no way it's this obvious, then there's plenty of bits in the game to make you go "maybe it's..."

All you have to remember is the look of disgust that Akechi shows in private when he sees the Phantom Thieves doing something morally just. That alone should make it quite clear that you should no't trust him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sea Sponge Run posted:

She's pure

not remotely believable as a traitor

They'd never see her coming either way.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Her saying "It's thrilling to hear Shadows beg for their lives," that was a tell

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Raxivace posted:

Futuba would totally betray you if she found out you've been cheating at Punch Ouch.

If you cheat on your girlfriends the game changes so that all of them sold you out instead

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So like does the Akechi love have anything behind it besides "he's hot"

I can respect that I guess but he's way more popular than I'd expect

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Her saying "It's thrilling to hear Shadows beg for their lives," that was a tell

to date her

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

He is hot with a sympathetic backstory.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

He's a cool pretty tragic rival guy with a complex over the MC

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Sea Sponge Run posted:

No, but she does wear a black mask and talk an awful lot about how awesome betrayal is and how much she enjoys the suffering of others.

She's the only character who can't be the traitor because she'd be even more blatant than Goro.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
I thought they were trying to do a last minute makoto hint with "I'll always be on your side sis!" but it was obvious.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Persona 5-2 will feature Akechi coming back but he'll be wearing Skull's mask for some reason.

He'll also be the only returning playable character.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

If laundry has to be watched constantly and takes all night, does that mean Joker is constantly running around in smelly unwashed clothes

No, Morgana does the essential laundry. Get loving real, would you?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Akechi said he got his powers something like two years ago yeah? Talk about putting your thumb on the scale, and also lol that he's basically a joker who ran with his default persona and got no s. Links over two years

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
you could do the Goro Murdering You scene with haru and it would be completely in character

cheetah7071 posted:

He's the hot, lonely rival working outside the law with tragic backstory, a father complex, a fascination with the main character, dresses in black armor and also has the same Special Plot Power the main character has and gets incredibly owned by the cast regardless

there is no reason why Goro SHOULDN'T be popular

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Motto posted:

Akechi said he got his powers something like two years ago yeah? Talk about putting your thumb on the scale, and also lol that he's basically a joker who ran with his default persona and got no s. Links over two years
It's great that his detective facade is him just failing to pull the same bullshit on you that you're pulling on your own Social Links with ease throughout the whole game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Goro:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

cheetah7071 posted:

have you seen the little dance he does before his AOA splash screen?

dude deserves a full pardon for that alone

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

CharlestonJew posted:

have you seen the little dance he does before his AOA splash screen?

dude deserves a full pardon for that alone

hell, it's in the normal thread's op

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
look at this guy

this guy is the epitome of cool

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Moltrey posted:

He's the hot, lonely rival working outside the law with tragic backstory, a father complex, a fascination with the main character, dresses in black armor and also has the same Special Plot Power the main character has and gets incredibly owned by the cast regardless

there is no reason why Goro SHOULDN'T be popular

Also he dies an incredibly obvious but offscreen death, which gives the fanfic writers tons of grist for the mill when they're not busy writing stories about the handsome teens putting their mouths on each other.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Moltrey posted:

look at this guy

yeah but then you listen to what he says during it and then it's all https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wol70cBLNd8

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

cheetah7071 posted:

people find mass murderers sexy, especially when they're already physically attractive and have a shallow/generic heartstring tugging tragic childhood that doesn't really justify their own atrocities but helps forget about them. see sasuke from naruto

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
swing and a miss on comparing goro to a shitbag emotionally abusive ninja boy

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Moltrey posted:

swing and a miss on comparing goro to a shitbag emotionally abusive ninja boy

Yeah.

Moltrey posted:

look at this guy

Akechi's got style.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Still glad he's very definitely dead and for sure never coming back though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
goro's got brain problems but at least he won't beat the hell outta you because you care about him and then marry you and just be generally unpleasant

goro's whole thing is Pleasant Boy

• Locked thread