Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

WANNA KNOW ABOUT MY DOLL

YOU'LL ALL BE PLAYING WITH HIM

IN YOUR HOMES

IT'LL BE LIKE I'M RIGHT NEXT TO YOU

HERE LET ME SHOW YOU THE VOODOO DOLL I CREATED TO POWER THIS RITUAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Infinitum posted:

I think Directs are ultimately better because you can just focus on what needs to be said, no technical hiccups like you say, no cringe-induced stage announcers doing stupid poo poo, and no nervous as hell devs with their obvious need to tell everyone about his string fetish

i dont think you get e3

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I watch E3 presentations primarily for stuff like that awkward out of touch guy from a few years ago who told the crowd he knew what they wanted and what they wanted was zombies. Everyone was reaching peak zombie fatigue at that point so there was some audible groaning in the audience.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yarny snypa :hellyeah:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Deviant posted:

i dont think you get e3

I'm gettin too old for this poo poo :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Little behind but I think Blue Shells are nice because I can tank em in online races and still get first if I'm not instantly shut down by red shells afterward (and even then I can still come out ontop if there's enough time).

Also nothing is better then dodging a blue shell- moreso if you can pull it off without a item :)

As a aside little thing I noticed is that the coins in Urchin Underpass are all modeled after splatoons coins. I forgot they did that in the other cameo courses so it was a nice surprise.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Nintendo isn't going to E3.

They're doing the same thing they've done for the last five years: a direct followed by a day of live gameplay on the show floor. So, yes, they are at E3.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I think it was last year where Sony's presentation was just a series of videos. It was very cool! But also disappointing because the trainwrecks are part of the fun.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Infinitum posted:

I don't know if it was endearing to a lot of people, but he def had 0 stage presence and poo poo like a Direct ultimately serves a game better as you get straight to the point with a little intro (That can be filmed numerous times until it's usable) by the devs, and you just get on with the drat thing.

The Sony, Ubisoft, and Microsoft presentations are always these overblown productions with the cringiest loving over-the-top productions

Just show the drat games people.

Hell no, I want Microsoft to keep on keeping on with their presentations.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LrvE3B5Rz6A

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hate it when they cut away from video of a guy playing a game to direct feed of video game footage. Come on, I want to see a guy holding a controller!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also nothing is better then dodging a blue shell- moreso if you can pull it off without a item :)

How?????

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wendell posted:

How?????

You can't. You can dodge it in doublr dash and ds with a perfectly timed mini turbo, but not in Wii, 7, or 8

If you see it coming you can throw yourself of the side and it won't get you while Lakota had you though.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

You can horn out of a blue shell. That's the only way I've been able to stop them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Norns posted:

You can horn out of a blue shell. That's the only way I've been able to stop them.

Breaking and letting someone overtake you also works

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Breaking and letting someone overtake you also works

That's incorrect. It imprints on whoeve is in first at a certain point. Not right when it is fired, but before it gets to first place it locks on.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

Hell no, I want Microsoft to keep on keeping on with their presentations.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LrvE3B5Rz6A

:allears:

https://i.imgur.com/OPHgq1L.mp4

Don't get me wrong I enjoy the hell out of the cringe, but holy gently caress what I wouldn't give just for everyone to do Nintendo style Directs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If there's a way to defend against a blue shell, I might consider Mario Kart someday. Being screwed out of a win with no recourse was something I've hated about every Mario Kart game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

If there's a way to defend against a blue shell, I might consider Mario Kart someday.

Horn item will blow-up the blue shell.

Alternatively brake and let 2nd place become 1st place so they take the hit

That's it.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Cojawfee posted:

Being screwed out of a win with no recourse was something I've hated about every Mario Kart game.

This still isn't the MK for you, probably. I dunno what the odds are, but you're way more likely to get a single banana peel or a coin than you are the horn that can destroy a blue shell. I have been pretty consistently in 1-3 place just before I cross the finish line and still always wind up at 5-9 place by the end of it. I was in 10th place on one map during lap 2 and the person in 11th hit me with a red shell and 12th place hit me with all three of their red shells. I never saw another person again during the rest of the race.

edit: braking doesn't work. I let the person in second get ahead of me (with plenty of time to spare before the shell started circling me) and still got targeted by the blue shell. Works for red shells though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, that's just part of the game (and part of the fun of the game). You know it will gently caress everyone in the end.

Last night I got hit with like 4 items from both of my friends right at the finish line and went from 1st to 7th in the span of a half second.

A few races later, I launched 4 red shells at my one friend who was in first after I saw the blue shell wiz by and I sniped out first.

What goes around, comes around. Chaos is Mario Kart. The only skill comes from remaining on the courses and hitting as many boost items/shortcuts as you can, the rest is pure chance.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
mario kart isnt about winning

its about rocketing through cool as hell levels and loving over your buddies

if you absolutely hate fun, do an items off room

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think you guys are forgetting Nintendo is king of cringe. They had a random guy on stage pretending he was Zelda for Christ sake. And they had that muppets fiasco not realizing that "you're a bunch of muppets" is a insult not a compliment

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Empress Brosephine posted:

I think you guys are forgetting Nintendo is king of cringe. They had a random guy on stage pretending he was Zelda for Christ sake. And they had that muppets fiasco not realizing that "you're a bunch of muppets" is a insult not a compliment

that sounds cool to me

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wii drums.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Who cares

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I remember the E3 where somebody interrupted Reggie on stage to ask about Mother 3. That was rude, but then Reggie loving murdered the guy. I have no idea why he was never arrested. He just flat out murdered a person live on stage and nothing came of it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The muppet thing was great.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

1. I never heard the word "Muppet" used in any context beyond Jim Henson puppets.
2. Wasn't that "random guy" Shigeru Miyamoto?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/quzmO97.gifv

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You can dodge a blue shell with a perfectly-timed mushroom.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

All that poo poo rules you nerd

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
"So what happens to the copies we might have purchased?"

pfffft

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Infinitum posted:

I think Directs are ultimately better because you can just focus on what needs to be said, no technical hiccups like you say, no cringe-induced stage announcers doing stupid poo poo, and no nervous as hell devs with their obvious need to tell everyone about his string fetish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZvXNXc6ibw

He seems like a real sweet guy. :3:

I'd play it on the Switch.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Wendell posted:

I think it was last year where Sony's presentation was just a series of videos. It was very cool! But also disappointing because the trainwrecks are part of the fun.

Yeah, after years of getting yelled at for having bad segments Sony's E3 presentations are now like 80% videos of games with little commentary. The ages of Mike Tretton coming out to talk about PSP sales statistics and introducing the Hannah Montana PSP or having Kaz Hirai confirm AT&T is Vita's 3G provider are long gone. That's not to say that they don't do embarrassing stuff anymore, as most of the weird stuff got shunted off to the PSX which is Sony's hardcore gamer-oriented presentation in the winter. I think the dumbest thing they've done recently is have Cerny talk for ages about 4K features over footage of some boring-rear end looking zombie game that doesn't even exist?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Rrrrrrrridge racer

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Puyo Puyo Tetris is insanely good and a great way to hate your friends

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm usually the most embarrassed for the audience, applauding and losing their minds over something like FF7R trailer which no one in their right mind believed is coming it before 2020, or cheering a millionaire executive for a billion dollar company that makes games, rather than announce a game they are making or paying for, announcing that gamers will get to fund this next game via Kickstarter.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 30, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Hace posted:

Puyo Puyo Tetris is insanely good and a great way to hate your friends

This but Mario Kart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Nintendo does literally more than everyone for E3 even though they "aren't at E3". They do a presentation as long as everyone else with the direct and then they do multiple days of treehouse coverage. Literally every year they show off their stuff in the best way possible.

• Locked thread