Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
"I got a liberal arts degree, what else am I supposed to do?" -A guy who is addicted to making bad decisions

Now I do bicycle deliveries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

"I got a liberal arts degree, what else am I supposed to do?" -A guy who is addicted to making bad decisions

Fly free! Do what ever the hell you want! Take me with you.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bikes are cool and good.
Law school is not.

Seems win-win.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

I think the most important thing I learned in my first year in law school is that I don't want to be a loving lawyer

One year of my life wasted is better than 3 years + a lifetime of doing something I don't want to do. Dropping out. Thanks in advance for the congratulations.

Non-sarcastic congratulations!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

I think the most important thing I learned in my first year in law school is that I don't want to be a loving lawyer

One year of my life wasted is better than 3 years + a lifetime of doing something I don't want to do. Dropping out. Thanks in advance for the congratulations.

If you want to get out, the first year of law school is the best time to do that. Good job.

Sometimes I feel like I dropped out of law school... by graduating. My punishment is more stress, less hot chicks and I no longer have time nor energy for video games, movies, books or life. Don't drop out of law school. Stay in, for as long as you can.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

You'll never know the prestige of a v10 though? Is life even worth living without that?

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Sab0921 posted:

You'll never know the prestige of a v10 though? Is life even worth living without that?

I'll won't experience the joy of making a bunch of money that I never have a chance to spend because I'm spending 80 hours a week doing busy work for assholes and then get fired after 10 years because there's a whole new crop of desperate millenials who will do the same work basically for free

Not that I'm criticizing the lives of anyone in the thread. Being a lawyer is a unique life experience and all of you seem to be owning the situation with as much dignity and grace as you can muster

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Not that I'm criticizing the lives of anyone in the thread. Being a lawyer is a unique life experience and all of you seem to be owning the situation with as much dignity and grace as you can muster

:drat:

AAaaaaahahahahahahahahaha oh my god, but I like you. That is just fantastic.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

[I'll won't] experience the joy of making a bunch of money that I never have a chance to spend because I'm spending 80 hours a week doing busy work for assholes and then get fired after 10 years because there's a whole new crop of desperate millenials who will do the same work basically for free [NTD: Revise to reflect that junior associate work will be replaced by Watson and other machine learning software rather than new law school grads]

Look - I don't know how many times I have to say this, but you really need to focus on your attention to detail. Our clients don't pay top dollar for you to make rookie mistakes like that. It's the easiest way to find yourself on the outside here. We want nothing more than for you to succeed, but at some point, we'll have to discuss whether this is really the right career choice for you.

Thanks - please revise and turn the comment with my revisions in the next hour or so.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

I'll won't experience the joy of making a bunch of money that I never have a chance to spend because I'm spending 80 hours a week doing busy work for assholes and then get fired after 10 years because there's a whole new crop of desperate millenials who will do the same work basically for free

When there's a new lawyer thread, this post should be the op
(Except the part about making a bunch of money, I make 600$/month and that's slightly above market for my location and level of seniority)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Hahahahaha you think most of them will even get 10 years.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Unironic lol

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Being a lawyer is a unique life experience and all of you seem to be owning the situation with as much dignity and grace as you can muster

You rang?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

It's ok if you don't like the job, and if you think it's not a wise economic decision to study this. There are many valid reasons to drop out or to choose a different career. Having said that, you can shove your condescension up your rear end. The fact that you couldn't hack first year of law school shouldn't fill you with so much undeserved pride.

Also, spelling and grammar are important, even outside of law. "You'll won't" experience any profitable job if you write like an idiot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Non Serviam posted:

It's ok if you don't like the job, and if you think it's not a wise economic decision to study this. There are many valid reasons to drop out or to choose a different career. Having said that, you can shove your condescension up your rear end. The fact that you couldn't hack first year of law school shouldn't fill you with so much undeserved pride.

Also, spelling and grammar are important, even outside of law. "You'll won't" experience any profitable job if you write like an idiot.

:lol:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Non Serviam posted:

hahahahahha - I hope this is real.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
all the in house lawyers i know have extremely slack schedules

like even when i visited our US subsidiary, the IP head attorney skipped out of half of our meetings so he could dig a pool in his backyard (or rather watch people dig his pool)

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Non Serviam posted:

Great post/av combo

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Toona the Cat posted:

Great post/av combo

Telling someone not to be condescending isn't exactly a meltdown, but OK.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I think what did it is the unironic grammar correction after Sab already hit that.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

Being condescending to fresh-faced law school applicants and students is kind of the point of the thread? And they're allowed to be smug and condescending back, especially if they make the right decision, like dropping out, or studying panda law.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Non Serviam posted:

lol at your rap sheet. Truly a sin to be condescending.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Non Serviam posted:

If you are sincerely offended then please accept my apologies. my intention was to not offend anybody here, but rather to get solace from people who I knew would understand. I've lurked the thread for a long time and have an honest respect for everyone here, even people like that married guy who manically spent his first year getting drunk and obsessing over his crush on a younger classmate. Who am I to judge a man's life? My life is riddled with far worse mistakes.

You're exactly right about why I didn't succeed in school. My writing is sloppy and my work ethic is low. in undergrad these were virtues, at law school it was a death sentence.

Now I have to live with the horrible embarrassment at having publically failed at something because I didn't rise to the challenge. I wish I could say it was the first time this has happened to me.

I never posted here because the dominant advice ITT is "Don't go to law school," and I didn't want to hear it, because I knew you all were right. I never should have gone here. I read the OP of this thread and then went to law school anyways which is kind of funny in a slapstick way.

I can survive anything if I learn to laugh at it. But, I never want it to seem like I'm laughing at anybody else but myself. I really, really have an enormous respect for the people that defeated the challenges that obliterated me. I only caught a glimpse of what you all went through, and it seemed totally beyond my abilities. I fell into this opportunity, and I know it, and my ultimate take away from the experience is "Holy poo poo, I'm so glad I'm free from the life I was ill-suited for that was slowly killing me. If only I had listened"

I've eyeballed this post for errors, which has always been the extent of my editing for anything I've ever written, but you still might find a few spelling and/or grammar mistakes. Hopefully I got it mostly right on the first pass, but I guess we'll find out

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

"Holy poo poo, I'm so glad I'm free from the life I was ill-suited for that was slowly killing me. If only I had listened"

Nah - that dude sucks, don't apologize. You made the right decision, shouldn't be embarrassed and coming to this realization at a young age shows a high level of self-awareness that will serve you well. Most of us didn't come to the conclusion that being a lawyer is incompatible with living a healthy and fulfilling life until it is much too late.

I hope you crush it in the future and am sincerely jealous that you don't have to be a lawyer.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
My trial skills are starting to make me lazy. gently caress. Once you know your way around the courtroom, you start saying poo poo like "Ehhhhhh this guy's been slow on paying me, I'm going to wing this hearing, it'll be fine."

Thank god I'm not a criminal attorney.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

If you are sincerely offended then please accept my apologies. my intention was to not offend anybody here, but rather to get solace from people who I knew would understand. I've lurked the thread for a long time and have an honest respect for everyone here, even people like that married guy who manically spent his first year getting drunk and obsessing over his crush on a younger classmate. Who am I to judge a man's life? My life is riddled with far worse mistakes.

You're exactly right about why I didn't succeed in school. My writing is sloppy and my work ethic is low. in undergrad these were virtues, at law school it was a death sentence.

Now I have to live with the horrible embarrassment at having publically failed at something because I didn't rise to the challenge. I wish I could say it was the first time this has happened to me.

I never posted here because the dominant advice ITT is "Don't go to law school," and I didn't want to hear it, because I knew you all were right. I never should have gone here. I read the OP of this thread and then went to law school anyways which is kind of funny in a slapstick way.

I can survive anything if I learn to laugh at it. But, I never want it to seem like I'm laughing at anybody else but myself. I really, really have an enormous respect for the people that defeated the challenges that obliterated me. I only caught a glimpse of what you all went through, and it seemed totally beyond my abilities. I fell into this opportunity, and I know it, and my ultimate take away from the experience is "Holy poo poo, I'm so glad I'm free from the life I was ill-suited for that was slowly killing me. If only I had listened"

I've eyeballed this post for errors, which has always been the extent of my editing for anything I've ever written, but you still might find a few spelling and/or grammar mistakes. Hopefully I got it mostly right on the first pass, but I guess we'll find out

In my heart you will always be Billy to non serviam's Paul Lazzaro.
Or is it Cruiser to Francis Soyer?

No, Toona is Cruiser.

And Francis is too calm for non serviam

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 1, 2017

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Unironic lol

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

joat mon posted:

In my heart you will always be Billy to non serviam's Paul Lazzaro.

uh this is the kindest thing that anyone has ever said to me. thank you

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

I fell into this opportunity, and I know it, and my ultimate take away from the experience is "Holy poo poo, I'm so glad I'm free from the life I was ill-suited for that was slowly killing me. If only I had listened"

The key is to take up smoking cigs so that you get a 10-minute break from the soul-crushing self-hatred of abandoning your hopes and dreams for the drudgery and hopelessness of practicing law. As a bonus, this will kill you a little bit quicker.

Edit: other bonuses include sounding super legit when you refer to Marlboro Reds as "cowboy killers," and feeling super generous when you let three different panhandlers bum a smoke off you on the walk back from the 7-11 to the office.

Unamuno fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 2, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

the fact that you felt the need to apologise for it just makes the original own more savage imo

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hey slyfrog - at least you aren't these idiots self-owning repeatedly in the surly lawyer suicide prevention thread.

Im going in for surgery tomorrow and will be out for 2 - 8 weeks. Mothballing litigation or pushing hearings onto colleagues feels weird, but I'm going to be bedridden so no choice.

As I was leaving the office I asked my lawyer friends to do two things if I die: get my wife to a real probate lawyer (who went to a different law school than I did), and to delete my internet history.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Jesus loving christ new orleans
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/01/prosecuted-law-new-orleans?CMP=share_btn_fb

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Hey slyfrog - at least you aren't these idiots self-owning repeatedly in the surly lawyer suicide prevention thread.

Not me, no. I'm on a new drug cocktail. We'll see if it helps. It may not resolve things in the long term in any event if the firm shitcans me. (Though I suppose that is resolution in its own right.)

Good luck with the surgery. One of the ways in which I knew I was getting bad was when I had surgery a couple of years ago and realized I enjoyed surgery and time off more than working. Like, if it did not kill me or dehabilitate me permanently, I'd probably actually take recovery from surgery over the work.

8-10 weeks is a lot of recovery, so I hope you're okay.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Par for the course in Orleans Parish.

http://thelensnola.org/2017/04/26/orleans-parish-prosecutors-are-using-fake-subpoenas-to-pressure-witnesses-to-talk-to-them/
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2011/03/us_supreme_court_rejects_14_mi.html

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

I had a law school friend (so, uh, 13 years ago?) who would regale me with horror stories from her native New Orleans

holy poo poo the cops there too, apparently

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
All I know about New Orleans is some apocryphal story about how when the Coens were filming Miller's Crossing (which involves gangsters and crooked cops) apparently real NOPD would turn up acting unironically like the bent cops in the film...

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/wwlamfm/status/858462114205364226

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

algebra testes posted:

All I know about New Orleans is some apocryphal story about how when the Coens were filming Miller's Crossing (which involves gangsters and crooked cops) apparently real NOPD would turn up acting unironically like the bent cops in the film...

Long time tradition.

quote:

In what is being called the largest case of police corruption in the city's history, nine New Orleans officers were charged in federal court Wednesday with accepting nearly $100,000 in bribes to protect a large-scale cocaine operation run by undercover FBI agents.
The drug trafficking probe was abruptly halted after Davis ordered the execution of a woman who filed a brutality complaint against him, authorities said. Agents spent the following weeks investigating the murder, U.S. Attorney Eddie Jordan Jr. said.

Authorities were targeting as many as 20 additional cops when the undercover investigation ended.
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/1994/12/len_davis_eight_other_new_orle.html

Things weren't much better in 2011.

quote:

We found that officers in NOPD routinely use unnecessary and unreasonable force in violation of the Constitution and NOPD policy.
Our review of officer-involved shootings within just the last two years revealed many instances in which NOPD officers used deadly force contrary to NOPD policy or law. Despite the clear policy violations we observed, NOPD has not found that an officer-involved shooting violated policy in at least six years, and NOPD officials we spoke with could recall only one out-of-policy finding even before that time.

We found a pattern of unreasonable less lethal force as well. We found that NOPD’s canines were uncontrollable to the point where they repeatedly attacked their own handlers, compelling us to recommend immediate suspension of NOPD’s use of canines to apprehend suspects. We found that officers use force against individuals, including persons in handcuffs, in circumstances that appeared not only unnecessary but deliberately retaliatory. We reviewed instances in which NOPD officers used significant force against mentally ill persons where it appeared that no use of force was justified.
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/74332/justice-department-report-on-the-new-orleans.pdf

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Are you being serious right now?
If you are... Come on dude, it's just school. You didn't like it, you left. You're, I assume, young. You'll bounce back.

Edit. Just to be clear : don't beat yourself up over not following through with law school. It doesn't mean you're not "smart enough" or anything.
It's better to leave than to suffer the rest of your life on a career you hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Im post op, and my doctor advised me not to do any legal work while recovering.

Jokes on him I checked my email in the recovery room.