Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ashye posted:

I'm am just amazed at backers ability to fixate on just the version number only and just ignore/rewrite any features that don't make it.

It's kinda brilliant is a huckster way how cig can just change the version numbers and the backer brain interprets that into 'progress'.
Does the huge download for every version keep people away from testing/checking so they just follow what is given in the slickly produced videos?
Do they have so much invested in this trainwreck that they'll see progress where none exists because the version number changed?
All of the above?

No matter what its amazing to look and laugh at from the sidelines!

One of the many fascinating psychological aspects of the legion of broke brained fools pissing away hundreds of millions of dollars is the version number fuckery.

It's not even arguable. This is a pre-alpha that should be 0.027 or 0.27 at best. But TWO POINT OH. THREE POINTS OH. FOUR POINT OH. SPEND MONEY.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_pricing

quote:

Psychological pricing (also price ending, charm pricing) is a pricing/marketing strategy based on the theory that certain prices have a psychological impact. Retail prices are often expressed as "odd prices": a little less than a round number, e.g. $19.99 or £2.98. There's evidence that consumers tend to perceive “odd prices” as being significantly lower than they actually are, tending to round to the next lowest monetary unit.[1] Thus, prices such as $1.99 are associated with spending $1 rather than $2. The theory that drives this is that lower pricing such as this institutes greater demand than if consumers were perfectly rational.

quote:

Judgments of numerical differences are anchored on left-most digits, a behavioral phenomenon referred to as the left-digit anchoring effect.[3] This hypothesis suggests that people perceive the difference between 1.99 and 3.00 to be closer to 2.01 than to 1.01 because their judgments are anchored on the left-most digit.

http://forum.johnson.cornell.edu/faculty/mthomas/LeftDigitEffect.pdf

quote:

Left-Digit Effect
The left-digit effect refers to the observation that using
a nine ending versus a zero ending, for example, $2.99
versus $3.00, changes the leftmost digit (i.e., the dollar digit
changes from three to two) and that it is this change in the
left digit, rather than the one cent drop, that affects the
magnitude perception. The analog model suggests that per-
ceivers convert multidigit numbers into mental magnitudes.
We build on this model to argue that under specifiable con-
ditions, the leftmost digit can exert a relatively greater in-
fluence than the other digits on the encoded magnitude.

It's kinda sad that something like this is making people subconciously dig deeper in their wallets for internet spaceships only because they refuse to believe what is happening to them. It's the same thing about how CIG prices their ships.

Any reputable company that wanted to deliver a game while being honest about their progress would be at 0.0027 / 0.27 or something. This is blatant, in your face manipulation of fools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning is a sane and generally accepted way to handle version numbers. Not what visionaries like CIG would use though.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

So my understanding right now is

1) Derek Smart is a poopoo head who says nasty things.
2) David Braben is the devil incarnate.
Ergo
3) Star Citizen is loving awesome.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Finally, the outer-space entry in the Ace Ventura series that we've all been waiting for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJgWq_kSR9w

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Space Crabs posted:

You mean the kid throwing himself down on the ground right?

To really succeed in soccer he needs to learn how to cry and look around to make sure half of his team isn't also throwing themselves to the ground to cry like huge pussies and game the clock.

He should probably also learn which injuries take the most time to deal with so he can run the clock out waiting for a stretcher, but yeah I'll agree this kid has dramatic fake injury potential that would allow him to really succeed in the pussy olympics world cup

The trick to appreciating soccer is to not watch it

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

quote:

You really haven't proved it's not a garage door opener. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but the bar's a little higher than that, I'm afraid.

I seriously don't understand how even one person could be this loving stupid. It's breaking my brain. :psyduck:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

I seriously don't understand how even one person could be this loving stupid. It's breaking my brain. :psyduck:

Admitting it's true wouldn't benefit him any, so he's being disingenuous. Is this your first contact with a person?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Also they built that mocap studio from a bunch of retooled web cams, and those $40k dumpster desks are actually repurposed gifts from the county WWII museum

Oh, and about 200 of those 438 employees are Sandi, and she doesn't demand her VP salary for all of them

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Admitting it's true wouldn't benefit him any, so he's being disingenuous. Is this your first contact with a person?

yes :smith:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sorry for being harsh dear friend, but it's for your own sake you know

Though to be fair, there's a very good chance that dude's also an ineducable idiot :unsmith:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the door might be identical in footprint, manufacture, size and function to a Stanley automatic door system but it's way more plausible that somehow the CIG employees converted a mechanical garage opener into a drive system for two separate doors that operates silently and instantly that just looks identical to a stanley automatic door system.

For you see I know nothing about mechanical applications or garage door openers and am a complete idiot.

I think this is the part where reddit spends a few days theorycrafting on the theoretical possibility of using a garage door opener in this application, working backwards from their conclusion to try and invent evidence like all backers love to do when supporting their faith based viewpoints

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hey everyone, Papa Johns makes their pizza with little pizza fairies that use magical powers to convert oxygen molecules into pizza.

Here is my white paper on why transmutation of matter is theoretically possible if you account for E=MC squared. Therefore you are the idiot for thinking they don't make pizza with magical fairies.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Space Crabs posted:

Hey everyone, Papa Johns makes their pizza with little pizza fairies that use magical powers to convert oxygen molecules into pizza.

Here is my white paper on why transmutation of matter is theoretically possible if you account for E=MC squared. Therefore you are the idiot for thinking they don't make pizza with magical fairies.
Seems legit.

You got a kickstarter?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Just the other day I found an old garage door lying around and after I nailed it to my wall it looked like a Star Wars space ship door, garage doors are well known for this.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Everyone knows that Californian building codes are non-existent, and that there is nothing stopping anyone make office doors out of plywood and automatic garage openers.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
I can see how "stealing the design of a Stanley automatic door and implementing it in a half-rear end fashion" sounds like the kind of things CIG would do.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 30, 2017

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Space Crabs posted:

the door might be identical in footprint, manufacture, size and function to a Stanley automatic door system but it's way more plausible that somehow the CIG employees converted a mechanical garage opener into a drive system for two separate doors that operates silently and instantly that just looks identical to a stanley automatic door system.

For you see I know nothing about mechanical applications or garage door openers and am a complete idiot.

I think this is the part where reddit spends a few days theorycrafting on the theoretical possibility of using a garage door opener in this application, working backwards from their conclusion to try and invent evidence like all backers love to do when supporting their faith based viewpoints

But think about it. If something that looks like that was a home built gizmo, it (a) probably doesn't work very well and will likely close on someone killing them and (b) took lots of internal manhours to design and build. In other words, it would still be very expensive in time and money even if they did it in-house!!! I can't see how anyone can defend the stupidity of that door.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Um spoilers but Ahab actually doesn't get his whale

Also I guess we're all Herman Melville in this analogy: Jumped ship years before the voyage's end and then wrote thousands of words on the subject

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I like that guy. He is arguing with 100% certainty that Star Citizen comes out as pitched and therefore anything CIG does is justifiable because of delivering Star Citizen.

This blinds him to the fact that nothing has been delivered and there is no guarantee it will be, so therefore things like this need to be scrutinized when you are 3 years beyond your release date. It's like arguing with a literal child about how the world works.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Whales be melting down, good time to invest in harpoons. :)

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I like to imagine a confrontation with that guy in real life.

"What about the pencils? Huh? HOW MUCH? HUH, GOON? HUH?!? HOW MUCH?!?!" he says while progressively getting closer and closer to you.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Sabreseven posted:

Whales be melting down, good time to invest in harpoons. :)

No need for a tryworks, they melt down all on their own.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
the thing that they can't seem to get is that no one cares about office supplies or electricity or basic needs of a company

what backers should care about is the obviously frivolous spending CIG does on furniture, mocap and executive salaries

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/858688342518489090
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/858734974232666112
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/858785097838985217

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

the thing that they can't seem to get is that no one cares about office supplies or electricity or basic needs of a company

what backers should care about is the obviously frivolous spending CIG does on furniture, mocap and executive salaries

Yeah really.

When you are 3 years past your release date and sending out emails with "to paraphrase John F Kennedy" asking for money it's perfectly reasonable to question things like hundreds of thousands / millions in expenditures on things that have nothing to do with the development of the game.

Backers either try to poo poo on that argument completely by justifying $$,$$$ coffee machines and $$,$$$ doors and $$$,$$$ in furniture as "increasing productivity" making it necessary for development and therefore unable to be complained about. This guy wants to be a disingenuous shitlord and drag out things like 0.0001 cents of toilet paper being used to dismiss something that costs tens of thousands because they are both technically expenditures by the company.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Space Crabs posted:

I like that guy. He is arguing with 100% certainty that Star Citizen comes out as pitched and therefore anything CIG does is justifiable because of delivering Star Citizen.

This blinds him to the fact that nothing has been delivered and there is no guarantee it will be, so therefore things like this need to be scrutinized when you are 3 years beyond your release date. It's like arguing with a literal child about how the world works.

Wait till the gaming media, the Escapist excluded, stop being nice.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I would legit watch a Real World: CIG Edition

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/GhstCmplx/status/858797422952144896

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

How could a workplace be efficient with money when you have the factors cafeteria+Ben.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Oh wow, this guy's in for a real treat

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
A long long long time ago, in Japan was a painting artist that was famous for his beautiful and awesome painting. He became so famous, that the Shogun of the region ask to bring the artist to his castle. In no time the painter was bring to the castle, and then, the Shogun, ask the artist to paint something that was never paint before; something that no one has ever made or ever see before, and he want's the artist to paint in front of him so he can enjoy the painting process.

The artist accepted the challenge but ask one favor to the Shogun, wait for 10 years before he actually create the paint, the Shogun started to yell that was not acceptable! 10 years! but finally, after calm down, he accepted the favor.

10 years later, the artist came back to the castle to paint for the Shogun. He put a beautiful piece of rice paper in front of him, then he prepared some very special black ink from is own made, and finally get his best paintbrush. Then, in less than a second, he draw a perfect freehand circle on the paper. The circle was just incredible, awesome, absolutely no default, every one in the room was staring at this awesome circle on the paper, but suddenly, the Shogun got a terrible anger. He ask his personal guard to kill him by decapitation. Then, the Shogun said that all artist's family has to be sent to jail immediately, and he will go to get them personally with his personal elite guards.

When the Shogun enter painter's house, he stopped at the open door, looking inside, what he was seeing was just insane, millions and millions and millions of rice paper, the house was full of paper with circles on them, bad circles, some not finished, some that line do not match at the end, all circles were not perfect circles, when the Shogun enter the house and found even more rice paper in the back of the house, then, he understand that he did a terrible mistake by killing the painter.

He understand that the painter trained for 10 years drawing circles, days after days, hours after hours, the painter's was training himself, just for being able to please his Shogun, when the day arrive, with something that was never made before. Then he started to cry, and said that all painter's family and all upcoming new born in family will be placed under his protection for life being. When the Shogun get back to his castle he ask that the painted circle to be put in front of his bed, this way, he can remember every morning the terrible mistake he did by killing the painter who was able to draw a perfect freehand circle that's no one as ever done...

Next time you are going to say Star Citizen as no released date, it's vaporware, it's a scam, or there's no game, please remember this story and told yourself that something that was never made before takes times, efforts and sacrifices.

Fly Safe!

ps: English is not my mother tong. Thanks You.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Maldoror posted:

A long long long time ago, in Japan was a painting artist that was famous for his beautiful and awesome painting. He became so famous, that the Shogun of the region ask to bring the artist to his castle. In no time the painter was bring to the castle, and then, the Shogun, ask the artist to paint something that was never paint before; something that no one has ever made or ever see before, and he want's the artist to paint in front of him so he can enjoy the painting process.

The artist accepted the challenge but ask one favor to the Shogun, wait for 10 years before he actually create the paint, the Shogun started to yell that was not acceptable! 10 years! but finally, after calm down, he accepted the favor.

10 years later, the artist came back to the castle to paint for the Shogun. He put a beautiful piece of rice paper in front of him, then he prepared some very special black ink from is own made, and finally get his best paintbrush. Then, in less than a second, he draw a perfect freehand circle on the paper. The circle was just incredible, awesome, absolutely no default, every one in the room was staring at this awesome circle on the paper, but suddenly, the Shogun got a terrible anger. He ask his personal guard to kill him by decapitation. Then, the Shogun said that all artist's family has to be sent to jail immediately, and he will go to get them personally with his personal elite guards.

When the Shogun enter painter's house, he stopped at the open door, looking inside, what he was seeing was just insane, millions and millions and millions of rice paper, the house was full of paper with circles on them, bad circles, some not finished, some that line do not match at the end, all circles were not perfect circles, when the Shogun enter the house and found even more rice paper in the back of the house, then, he understand that he did a terrible mistake by killing the painter.

He understand that the painter trained for 10 years drawing circles, days after days, hours after hours, the painter's was training himself, just for being able to please his Shogun, when the day arrive, with something that was never made before. Then he started to cry, and said that all painter's family and all upcoming new born in family will be placed under his protection for life being. When the Shogun get back to his castle he ask that the painted circle to be put in front of his bed, this way, he can remember every morning the terrible mistake he did by killing the painter who was able to draw a perfect freehand circle that's no one as ever done...

Next time you are going to say Star Citizen as no released date, it's vaporware, it's a scam, or there's no game, please remember this story and told yourself that something that was never made before takes times, efforts and sacrifices.

Fly Safe!

Yeah. But he didn't ask for the Shogun's money first.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Maldoror posted:

Fly Safe!

Incredible story forum friend. The problem though is that Chris Roberts spent 10 years as a used car salesman and not practicing his coding or even playing a video game.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

Incredible story forum friend. The problem though is that Chris Roberts spent 10 years as a used car salesman and not practicing his coding or even playing a video game.

English isnt my mother tong either. I speak American which is English perfected. We dont add silly u's to things and we also spell Aluminum correctly.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Maldoror posted:

Fly Safe!

The problem is every time roberts tries to draw a circle it turns into a T, clips through the rice paper and causes existence to crash to desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

10 years for a circle? Minimum Viable Painting.