Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

sassassin posted:

I think I see the problem

I was looking for anything to help make sense of it. The other possibility is that the Mon Cal ship left, then the Tantive IV left. At some point they met up. That doesn't make any sense either because why would the Mon Cal ship delay its arrival at Scarif, and why would it stop to let a non-combat ship hitch a ride into a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
My viewing order is: I, II, III, VII, R1. I skip the bad ones and will not argue this.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Soul Glo posted:

Also I will never not find the handwringing in this thread over robots being robots hilarious.

quote:

The Robot Patent is an English-language scholarly term for the imperial decrees (patents) in the 1700s abolishing compulsory labor (robot) of serfs, issued by Joseph II, Holy Roman Emperor, who had carried out a register of all land with a division between peasant and noble holdings.[1][2] Joseph II outlawed the buying of 'rustic' land by the nobility and at the same time giving the rusticalists security of tenure. His motive was to prevent the increase in 'dominical' land, which paid fewer taxes to the government. This led to the survival of the peasantry, with rustic land still having the robot. In 1789 it was abolished by Joseph II,[3] however Leopold II restored it when his brother Joseph II died in 1790. The abolition of robot during the Revolutions of 1848 broke the last legal tie which held the peasants to the land,[4] and was seen as a great victory by the peasants.

When the Robot was ended the landlords had no interest in keeping peasantry to the soil. The smaller peasants sold their land and moved into the cities. The larger landlords could now run their great estates more economically. However the small gentry were ruined; they could not run estates without robot compensation as it was far too little, in contrast with Hungarian nobles who owned mills, paper factories, and coal mines, all gained by the much larger compensation paid to them.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

jivjov posted:

You've left out three good ones though

...Christmas Special, the first Ewok movie and...???

Serf
May 5, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

My viewing order is 4, 5, 6, TFA, R1 and no others because they are bad, and I'm not going to argue it.

Also I will never not find the handwringing in this thread over robots being robots hilarious.

There are no robots in Star Wars tho?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Just watch Episode IV and Elysium and you're good

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lincoln posted:

The Clone Wars Animated Movie.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lincoln posted:

Episodes I, II, and III

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Serf posted:

There are no robots in Star Wars tho?

I think that some of the machine heads in the droid factory on Geonosis are attached to robots.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If you're talking about someone who's never seen Star Wars before, I can't think of a scenario where it makes sense to show them the Prequels first, because the prequels' entire value is as a deconstruction of the OT. It would be like watching Galaxy Quest without having any prior familiarity with Star Trek.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The prequels deconstruct the OT, but the OT builds everything back up. You get some of the pieces either way you go and they naturally fill in each other, while adding a new context. The Metal Gear Solid games do the same thing, working in either order you play them.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
You guys are cute.

There's no value to the prequels, they're the millennial trash referred to in the thread title.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Another consideration- maybe someone with kids can weight in, but my guess is that if you show your kids the prequels first, they're going to get accustomed to the scope of the battles and the Jedi's acrobatics and all that, and they're going to find the OT pretty sedate in comparison when they get to it. Which is fine I suppose, but if you want them to appreciate both it might be best to show them in order of release.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Die Sexmonster! posted:

You guys are cute.

There's no value to the prequels, they're the millennial trash referred to in the thread title.

There are valid arguments to be made that the prequels are trash, but there is no argument to be made that it is "millennial" in any sense of the word.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Die Sexmonster! posted:

You guys are cute.

Why isn't "being a trilogy of good films" not value enough?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

General Dog posted:

Another consideration- maybe someone with kids can weight in, but my guess is that if you show your kids the prequels first, they're going to get accustomed to the scope of the battles and the Jedi's acrobatics and all that, and they're going to find the OT pretty sedate in comparison when they get to it. Which is fine I suppose, but if you want them to appreciate both it might be best to show them in order of release.

Pretty much my experience. The kids mostly chalked it up as Obiwan and Vader are ooooold by then and Luke never really learned how to fight. They did however expect the Force Lightning but Vader this time throwing the Emperor away blew thier minds.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

What's that article of the guy who watched the prequels with his kids while also watching the clone wars cartoon. I remember them getting really attached to anakin and being genuinely shocked when he went bad.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

General Dog posted:

There are valid arguments to be made that the prequels are trash, but there is no argument to be made that it is "millennial" in any sense of the word.

Uh they came out in 1999.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

How many times must this thread circle back to the fact that dumb internet 40 year olds with an axe to grind are the only people who give the remotest gently caress about screaming that they think the prequels are bad

Kids don't care and would probably find ANH to be the most boring out of all. Eps 1-3 are only bad in the eyes of old nerds, everyone else either likes them or is ambivalent

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Soul Glo posted:

My viewing order is 4, 5, 6, TFA, R1 and no others because they are bad, and I'm not going to argue it.

"Robot" is a word for slave, so yes.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
"Little kids love the prequels."

Yeah well little kids are loving idiots and also like eating dirt. Show a 7-year-old The Godfather, then use his reaction to judge the value of the film.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lincoln posted:

Yeah well little kids are loving idiots and also like eating dirt. Show a 7-year-old The Godfather, then use his reaction to judge the value of the film.

"*Crying incesstantly over seeing people brutally murdered, the fragility of life, the reality of death, and the meaninglessness of existence.*"

"Okay, maybe a 7 year old was a little too young for the Godfather."

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Lincoln posted:

Agreed all kids movies are bad

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Barudak posted:

Id skip rogue one. It doesnt add much to the overarching storyline, and doesnt provide much galactic insight to help better set the stage.

I would also argue to split this out over many nights

However, it is an enjoyable movie with many good, enjoyable scenes.

Does that count for anything?

KVeezy3 posted:

Luke is told that the necessary path to the greater good is murdering his father. You speak of character based narrative contrivance but the structure of Rogue One was already predetermined from its conception.

Yet he doesn't do it. He finds another way. And that's the difference. The OT characters are faced with difficult tasks, but never difficult decisions, nor does the lack of a decision ever compel them to do something heinous.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Covok posted:

"*Crying incesstantly over seeing people brutally murdered, the fragility of life, the reality of death, and the meaninglessness of existence.*"

But enough about Revenge of the Sith

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I said come in! posted:

This is a stupid opinion.

agreed, watching them all in one night is the only way to watch them

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

Yet he doesn't do it. He finds another way. And that's the difference. The OT characters are faced with difficult tasks, but never difficult decisions, nor does the lack of a decision ever compel them to do something heinous.

The decision of pacifism in the face of death is not difficult? You guys really want to go to bat for Rogue One's major theme being about "characters doing bad things"? It's so vague and uninspired.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 30, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

KVeezy3 posted:

The decision of pacifism in the face of death is not difficult?

Depending on who you're referring to, no. In Obi Wan's case, he ascends, and becomes far more powerful. In Luke's case, he sacrifices his life in an attempt to turn Vader, and it works. He finds another way, and survives to boot. Whereas the crew of Rogue One do not. They do not find 'another way' and have to actually follow through on their sacrifice.

KVeezy3 posted:

You guys really want to go to bat for Rogue One's major theme being about "characters doing bad things"? It's so vague and uninspired.

If you reduce the many words people have already written to four words and put them in quotation marks, they do sound vague and uninspired, much like anything would.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

Depending on who you're referring to, no. In Obi Wan's case, he ascends, and becomes far more powerful. In Luke's case, he sacrifices his life in an attempt to turn Vader, and it works. He finds another way, and survives to boot. Whereas the crew of Rogue One do not. They do not find 'another way' and have to actually follow through on their sacrifice.

Judging a decision by its outcome is reductive.

Snowman_McK posted:

If you reduce the many words people have already written to four words and put them in quotation marks, they do sound vague and uninspired, much like anything would.

"Rogue One's main theme is the exploitation and disposal of the underclass"
My point was that "characters doing bad things" is a sorely underdeveloped theme.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

KVeezy3 posted:

Judging a decision by its outcome is reductive.
Not when you're discussing narrative structure, rather than judging the actions of real people.

KVeezy3 posted:

"Rogue One's main theme is the exploitation and disposal of the underclass"
My point was that "characters doing bad things" is a sorely underdeveloped theme.

You have described two interwoven and complimentary themes.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

"Many bothans died to bring us this information", and that was in regards to the Emperor being on the 2nd Death Star; and as such has nothing to do with Rogue One, A New Hope, or the first Death Star at all

What's cool about that scene is that we can now assume she's thinking of both the bothans and thinking back to jyn and her comrades when thinking about the sacrifices made which gives more weight to the sadness in her face and voice.

DEEP storytelling

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If you're introducing Star Wars to a little kid, just show them episode IV over and over for years until they become savvy enough to ask for more

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

There haven't been any Bothans in the new not-really-expanded-universe-but-it's-stuff-that-happens-outside-the-movies-so-it's-basically-the-new-expanded-universe universe yet, right? What if they retcon "Bothans" to mean rebel black ops kinda people instead of cat aliens or whatever the gently caress they were in the old EU? That'd be neat imo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The day where negative reaction to the prequels will be a footnote is rapidly approaching and that terrifies the ageing Gen X.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

The day where negative reaction to the prequels will be a footnote is rapidly approaching and that terrifies the ageing Gen X.
Someone with more time and poo poo-giving capabilities than me needs to write a compare-and-contrast between audience responses to the star wars prequels and the odd-numbered star treks

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Funny enough, the movies have been seeming more okay on rewatches. :shrug:

But, don't you worry about us running out of things for Star Wars fans to be crudmegony about. As someone who runs a lot of Fantasy Flight Star Wars for randos online, trust me when I say that the main, new talking point is some variation of "disney ruined Star Wars", or "Legends > Canon," or "Disney SW is SJW bullshit." Some complainers are much more nuanced (like the GM who went "I just prefer Legends, really, and don't really follow canon" which is a fair opinion) while others are...not (like the player who went "well, if the SJWs stopped shoving Rey's ugly pussy in our face in every shot, maybe I would have actually liked TFA. But, then again, the n****r would still ruin it!" He was asked to leave).

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
It's always weird when you post in third-person, Covok.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

HAT FETISH posted:

Someone with more time and poo poo-giving capabilities than me needs to write a compare-and-contrast between audience responses to the star wars prequels and the odd-numbered star treks

The TOS odd-Treks at least have the on screen chemistry of Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley. No one in the prequels have any sort of chemistry

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Zoran posted:

AOTC is the one that attacks fan preconceptions the most.

He made Boba/Jango Fett a really important character because he knew there was a huge nerd culture around him, fans clamored for him, and most importantly his merch sold well. By putting him in the film it completely ruined Fett and the whole Clone Wars to me.

I would have loved to know what the original vision was for Episode II without fans crying about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mr President posted:

He made Boba/Jango Fett a really important character because he knew there was a huge nerd culture around him, fans clamored for him, and most importantly his merch sold well. By putting him in the film it completely ruined Fett and the whole Clone Wars to me.

I would have loved to know what the original vision was for Episode II without fans crying about everything.

Attack of the Clones was entirely faithful to Boba Fett, the man who's only successful action in the OT was being an intergalactic delivery man before getting punted into a giant sand vagina.

• Locked thread