Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Yeah, I wish I hadn't set my expectations up to see much more game after the third "ending."

On the same note, I'm glad I did almost all the side quests the first time through despite people saying not to worry about it until getting chapter select. I think that's a bad piece of advice considering how most of the optional content still elaborates on many of the game's themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
You should wait for the chapter select mainly because the chances are if you're strong enough to beat Emil the story finale is going to be a huge anticlimax and you're too strong to see all of A2's rad hacking sequnces

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I don't really count stuff like secret level 99 boss fights that are obviously end game content.

But, for example, I did fail an insignificant-seeming side quest on Route A after starting the Flooded City stuff. At the time, I thought "well, I'll be getting chapter select approximately 3/5s into the game so I shouldn't worry about it" because I kept seeing that there are five main endings. I wasn't able to do that quest until after beating the game, and coming back to it after ending C/D took the impact out of it.

I guess my advice to new players is that despite there being a chapter select (after you effectively finish the game), try to do the side quests as you get them anyway. If one's a pain in the rear end, skip it and hope for the best (like how Speed Star is easier with the Slow program you get in Route B).

Regarding the ending boss fight: are there more than three hacking segments with A2? What happens in them?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

GANDHITRON posted:

Regarding the ending boss fight: are there more than three hacking segments with A2? What happens in them?

When you hack A2 the fourth time it zooms back and you fight within the pause menu

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Tell me about this Chip Collector achievement. Does 80% mean that if I get like, levels 0-6 of almost everything and just lower levels of the hard-to-get stuff, I'm there? Or is percentage calculated some other way and there's a whole set of chips I've never picked up?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Took me a while since I could only play occasionally, but I just finished C,D,E.

What an incredible game. It really shows the power of having studios collaborate on game aspects they excel at, and I hope it leads to more of it. Having Platinum games quality action in an atmospheric open world RPG with an amazing soundtrack? That somehow contains one of the best shmups in years? Having a game excel at so many different things (that themselves are individually the entire gameplay foundations of other games) is really quite something.

So glad to see the effort rewarded in good sales, especially when it was sandwiched between HZD (which had an astronomically bigger advertising budget), Zelda (...which is Zelda) and Mass Effect (which was going to sell based on the brand, even if Andromeda isn't great). I hope SE takes notice and gives Yoko Taro more money and opportunities to do this sort of thing again. Nier Automata was made with a fraction of the time and money with which FFXV was made, and it's superior in practically every way. They need to do it again... and this time choose a better release window.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

GANDHITRON posted:

Yeah, I wish I hadn't set my expectations up to see much more game after the third "ending."

On the same note, I'm glad I did almost all the side quests the first time through despite people saying not to worry about it until getting chapter select. I think that's a bad piece of advice considering how most of the optional content still elaborates on many of the game's themes.

I tell people not to worry about it mostly so they don't burn out. Do sidequests but don't worry about missing out on content because you can always go back.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I feel like I'm missing out on pod upgrades. I'm on Route B and haven't gotten any yet. I looked up how to get the pod power up S item or whatever its called and there are only like 3 of them in the game (one for each pod I guess)? How essential are pod upgrades? I'm guessing not very, but I use my pod way more often with 9s because I don't want to have to hack every tiny lil robot

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I feel like I'm missing out on pod upgrades. I'm on Route B and haven't gotten any yet. I looked up how to get the pod power up S item or whatever its called and there are only like 3 of them in the game (one for each pod I guess)? How essential are pod upgrades? I'm guessing not very, but I use my pod way more often with 9s because I don't want to have to hack every tiny lil robot
Upgrading them is optional. The plug-ins are needed for a lot of side stuff though. Especially the whip and scanner.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Dias posted:

I tell people not to worry about it mostly so they don't burn out. Do sidequests but don't worry about missing out on content because you can always go back.

The sidequest material often foreshadows and hints at future revelations in the main story. Doing the sidequest material after you get chapter select thus means losing on a lot of the impact of the sidequests (both because you're now rewarded with hints to revelations you already know, and because you didn't experience the foreshadowing of turns in the main plot).

That said, I definitely recognized a couple of years ago that I had to stop being so obsessive about sidequests, because it can turn games into a chore. If you're ever playing a game to "complete" it, rather than "enjoy" it, well... you're not going to enjoy it. I think people can go lighter on sidequests in route A, because of the relationship between route A and B.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Each pod upgrade adds a tiny amount of damage and a special extra ability that's not as good as the designer probably thought it was. For your first upgrade, Gatling gets one double damage shot every time you start firing, Laser gets a couple of seconds of double damage when you start firing and Missile gets nothing as far as I can tell. If you have to focus on upgrading one, pick Laser since all of its upgrades are pretty decent.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 30, 2017

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Pod upgrades are great (at level 3 they gain something new) but you're about on target for the upgrade path--it's really late game stuff and you'll only be maxing them in the post game realistically.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Dabir posted:

Missile gets nothing as far as I can tell.
I thought they got the rain of grenades once you stopped firing? I've been using missiles for like 95% of my playing time and that's been pretty good to clean up smaller stuff (but also can obstruct your view quite a bit).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

At the second upgrade, yes. First gives nothing visible.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think the advice is to not do sidequests until you unlock fast travel, not until you unlock chapter select which is ridiculous.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Ludwig van Halen posted:

That's normal. Some pod upgrade materials are super rare and the upgrade itself does almost nothing. I finished the game without upgrading them even once.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There were a bunch of sidequests where even if the gameplay was pretty standard filler, the story beats really sharpened the emotional/thematic effects of the main story. The amnesia one, the little sister one, and missing Resistance member ones especially, off the top of my head

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Tell me about this Chip Collector achievement. Does 80% mean that if I get like, levels 0-6 of almost everything and just lower levels of the hard-to-get stuff, I'm there? Or is percentage calculated some other way and there's a whole set of chips I've never picked up?

It's the latter. +# doesn't matter, just "have you possessed 4/5ths of the chips in the game yet". I got that one without ever upgrading hacking chips.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Dabir posted:

Each pod upgrade adds a tiny amount of damage and a special extra ability that's not as good as the designer probably thought it was. For your first upgrade, Gatling gets one double damage shot every time you start firing, Laser gets a couple of seconds of double damage when you start firing and Missile gets nothing as far as I can tell. If you have to focus on upgrading one, pick Laser since all of its upgrades are pretty decent.

Pretty sure missile will launch more missiles per volley after upgrading, not sure what the last upgrade is.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

END ME SCOOB posted:

It's the latter. +# doesn't matter, just "have you possessed 4/5ths of the chips in the game yet". I got that one without ever upgrading hacking chips.
This. That achieve just revolves around the type of chip, not the chip levels.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Possible plot hole?

So around year 2k androids were created to protect humanity and the twin android models were chosen as overseers of the gestalt project. Around year 3k the gestalt project ends as a catastrophic failure with the original gestalt destroyed and humanity is extinct. All the androids knows about this fact, blames the twin models and even reprograms them to feel guilt.

Then according to the yorha videos, aliens invade earth in year 5k and the android command begins yorha project to make androids believe humans survived after all. And when I say androids I'm referring the real androids, not the fake ones made by yorha.

So did everyone just conveniently forget how they knew thousands of years ago that humans were extinct? Or if they really believed in the lie of the moon landing then why do they keep bullying the twin models? Isn't their harassment of the twins both that they know and as a constant reminder that humans completely disappeared for thousands of years. Do they really believe all of the sudden the first person to claim they're humans are actually humans. Maybe it's the whole needing a god to believe in theme, a purpose to live.

I think most androids know fully well humans are gone and actually don't give too much of a poo poo. I mean it was the resistance androids in charge of loading the supplies to the moon, not yorha, and they knew fully well most of those crates were empty. Nevermind the faulty logic if humans actually existed in the moon and they need supplies to survive then how were they surviving for two thousand years inbetween 3k and 5k without any help from earth

The concept of the android command is also super loving weird. Humans made the androids so presumably they made the command ones too but the commands act as if they're programmed not to preserve humanity but to preserve androids. So were the android commands just a result of evolution? A failsafe by humans in the event they went extinct(but loving why)? Or did androids decided to get together to make a model of androids to command over them because well they certainly have no one else to. But why wait until the aliens invade to decide to create a lie about humans to make androids want to fight the invaders. Seems androids are very serious about self preservation even if their singular function, reason of being, doesn't actually exist but they're so serious about not dying but at the same time not so serious that they won't just reprogram their core values to stop caring about protecting humans

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 30, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Possible plot hole?

So around year 2k androids were created to protect humanity and the twin android models were chosen as overseers of the gestalt project. Around year 3k the gestalt project ends as a catastrophic failure with the original gestalt destroyed and humanity is extinct. All the androids knows about this fact, blames the twin models and even reprograms them to feel guilt.

Then according to the yorha videos, aliens invade earth in year 5k and the android command begins yorha project to make androids believe humans survived after all. And when I say androids I'm referring the real androids, not the fake ones made by yorha.

So did everyone just conveniently forget how they knew thousands of years ago that humans were extinct? Or if they really believed in the lie of the moon landing then why do they keep bullying the twin models? Isn't their harassment of the twins both that they know and as a constant reminder that humans completely disappeared for thousands of years. Do they really believe all of the sudden the first person to claim they're humans are actually humans. Maybe it's the whole needing a god to believe in theme, a purpose to live.

I think most androids know fully well humans are gone and actually don't give too much of a poo poo. I mean it was the resistance androids in charge of loading the supplies to the moon, not yorha, and they knew fully well most of those crates were empty. Nevermind the faulty logic if humans actually existed in the moon and they need supplies to survive then how were they surviving for two thousand years inbetween 3k and 5k without any help from earth

Devola and Popola directly state "all data from that era was deleted" or something like that. It was certainly a collective memory wipe. Also consider very few androids from back then survive anyway.

The thing about D&P's punishment is that NOBODY KNOWS why they're being punished, not even themselves. It's simply something in their programming. It's what all the horror of the situation stems from

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Nina posted:

Devola and Popola directly state "all data from that era was deleted" or something like that. It was certainly a collective memory wipe. Also consider very few androids from back then survive anyway.

The thing about D&P's punishment is that NOBODY KNOWS why they're being punished, not even themselves. It's simply something in their programming. It's what all the horror of the situation stems from

I don't remember about a collective memory wipe but I'm 99.999% certain I remember from their memories that they knew a twin from another city messed up and got the original gestalt killed and that's when all the remaining twins send what replicant data they could get to the moon

Let's say there was a memory wipe for the non command androids. But they still end up realizing humans no longer exist because they've basically been wandering the earth for two thousand years protecting a species they've had zero contact with

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

We can also concede and handwave it away and say okay, androids are physically incapable of changing their core function of protecting humanity. But then we look at the machine plot and this clearly isn't the case. Their core function is to defeat the enemy. Alot of machine drama is centered around what if we don't have an enemy to defeat. But this isn't a real dilemma they have to face because they made two successful branches in pascal and the pacifists and the forest kingdom, both independent of the concept of having an enemy to defeat to survive.

If you want to further say well they weren't truly separated from the machine network so who knows if they could still function as the way they are if there weren't any enemy. So okay, wipe out the dangerous rear end learning and self creating androids and designate four legged mammals as 'the enemy'. Have they loving seen how powerful a boar charge is against a machine. But don't wipe them out, just turn all machines into either the pascal or forest variant, preferably the forest variant so you don't fully disarm yourself in case a new threat from outer space comes to earth.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

It's hard to say anything concrete about this because we have zero clear idea of how all the androids were actually functioning as a society until 11941 when the stage play takes place

Nina fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 30, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I was able to hack the golden bunny a few days ago but I haven't come back since and it's not working anymore - the "wipe all the trash in the plaza and then use one of the staircase bots remote controlled to be able to hack it" method. Am I in the wrong chapter or turning the camera wrong or what?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I was able to hack the golden bunny a few days ago but I haven't come back since and it's not working anymore - the "wipe all the trash in the plaza and then use one of the staircase bots remote controlled to be able to hack it" method. Am I in the wrong chapter or turning the camera wrong or what?

They patched that out as far as I know. You just have to hit it a lot.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I'm listening to Waypoint's NieR:A spoilercast and man, am I seriously the only one who opted to (route C, end of A2 spoiler, don't read if you're not there) kill Pascal rather than erase his memories or walk out? I stood there for a moment, figured that he would be haunted and unable to obtain the same pacifism ever again, and that the entire war was coming to an end any way, and decided to fully charge a heavy attack.

He said "Thank you" as he exploded. I still think it was the right choice.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 30, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I figured that erasing his memories is the same as killing him. But unlike killing him, it has a chance of leaving a fundamentally good being in the world who may go on to keep making it a better place.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Snak posted:

I figured that erasing his memories is the same as killing him. But unlike killing him, it has a chance of leaving a fundamentally good being in the world who may go on to keep making it a better place.

You seen what happens when you do?

Not saying it invalidates the decision. Just noting its consequences.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Snak posted:

Yeah he sold me a bunch of useless vendor trash too.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Saagonsa posted:

They patched that out as far as I know. You just have to hit it a lot.
Wait, it was actually not intentional? Well, that's kinda disappointing.

Is there a better pod program than Bomb for making that happen? On 9S, because I'm going for the hack kill because it's fast.

e: also I have 91% unit data, what is it likely that I missed if I didn't grind for anything, I want to do all the sidequests :3:

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 1, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

You seen what happens when you do?

Not saying it invalidates the decision. Just noting its consequences.

Yeah, I have. And it's sad. But the end result is still the same.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So what exactly did Devola and Popola do in Nier? Non-console owner D:

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Synthbuttrange posted:

The Devola and Popola models were assigned to watch over humanity during the whole Gestalt project. There were multiple pairs sent to different cities to watch over different areas. One pair of them hosed up and essentially caused humanity to go extinct, so now all the Devola and Popola models are being punished for it. That's the cliff-notes version. It's covered in game during their cinematic towards the end of Route C/D.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Synthbuttrange posted:

Their role was to act as observers and guide the Replicants - artificial bodies in the shape of humans. They were to be reunited with the souls, Gestalts, after the world was no longer wracked with magical plague and other horseshit. There was one dude who allowed for this because he somehow kept his poo poo together in Gestalt form, who was papa/bro Nier. They were called the Shadowlord given the shade form of Gestalts.

The issue is that Replicant Nier, and all replicants, weren't just hollow shells. They became their own people, making reunification a bear. This went off the rails and left humanity doomed when the Shadowlord took back the Replicant in the image of his daughter/sister, leading Replicant Nier to slaughter his way to and slay the Shadowlord, the only way to save humanity.

The Devola and Popola units were supposed to put Nier down to protect the project. Instead, he killed one and the other went in a berserker rage that sent the whole thing out of control. It wasn't their fault, but it *was* their job.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

END ME SCOOB posted:

The Devola and Popola units were supposed to put Nier down to protect the project. Instead, he killed one and the other went in a berserker rage that sent the whole thing out of control. It wasn't their fault, but it *was* their job.
It absolutely was at least partially their fault. They pointed him in like four different directions in the hopes that he'd get himself killed (or see the Gestalts and Replicants living peacefully together in the Aerie) and every single time he came out of it stronger, more determined, and having massacred a shitload more "Shades", and half the time with another ally to boot.

Actually, was it four? I just remember they both told him about the Aerie originally and faked the letter to get him back there five years later, but I don't remember if they sent him to the desert or Emil's mansion the first time or anything.

e: oh and also don't neglect the most important character, Emil totally hosed the other one's poo poo UP with his magic barrier, didn't he kill the second one?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah but it's never stated what the exact gently caress up is though. (oh edits helped, thanks!)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It absolutely was at least partially their fault. They made him stronger

e: oh and also don't neglect the most important character, Emil totally hosed the other one's poo poo UP with his magic barrier, didn't he kill the second one?
The former is kind of interpretation but I see your point. On the latter: He got the party out safe when the surviving twin suicide bombed the whole cathedral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The backstory for this game is ridiculous. :psyduck: