Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I wonder if there's a place for "From Under the Floorboards" maybe as a 1 or 2 of in a zombie deck, always hoped it would see something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So I had time to look around at my parents house today. Hypothetically speaking, what would you recommend someone do with 13 Revised dual lands in NM/M condition?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

So I had time to look around at my parents house today. Hypothetically speaking, what would you recommend someone do with 13 Revised dual lands in NM/M condition?

Either play legacy or sell them, probably the latter.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Do you want to play magic? If so which format?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

If you want to play Legacy or Commander keep them. If not, sell them to buy into Modern. Do not trade or sell non standard cards for standard cards.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Sell them for drugs

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

DangerDongs posted:

If you want to play Legacy or Commander keep them. If not, sell them to buy into Modern. Do not trade or sell non standard cards for standard cards.

This, if it were me I'd buy in to a couple of modern decks but deffo don't trade/sell in to standard.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Make a couple car payments or get rid of some debt and never give magic a second thought.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Your local scene makes a big impact here - if you have legacy around, then you're a good portion towards a few decks, or by selling the duals you don't need, the entire way towards the deck of your choice. If it's mostly modern, then selling some to buy into modern is reasonable (depending on dual, it's about 7:1 in terms of duals:modern decks flat out). As others have said, don't buy in to standard.

Honestly take a look around the formats and see what interests you and is available in your area.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cactrot posted:

Make a couple car payments or get rid of some debt and never give magic a second thought.

It's this. Don't buy into a garbage format because you've got a 17% off coupon.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Relentless Dead is a trap imo

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

It's this. Don't buy into a garbage format because you've got a 17% off coupon.

I'm pretty torn, on one hand I loved that deck and made sure to save it when I sold my collection. On the other hand, I haven't played Magic in 17 years and it seems like these are an unknown amount of time away from better Chinese counterfeits making them worthless. I feel like selling them is smart play.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
How does Caleb Scherer's mojo-black aggro decklist compare to Tom Ross's that was posted to SCG a few days ago?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tortilla Maker posted:

How does Caleb Scherer's mojo-black aggro decklist compare to Tom Ross's that was posted to SCG a few days ago?

I am not a fan of 1/1 bulk common. Everything else is pretty okay.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'm pretty torn, on one hand I loved that deck and made sure to save it when I sold my collection. On the other hand, I haven't played Magic in 17 years and it seems like these are an unknown amount of time away from better Chinese counterfeits making them worthless. I feel like selling them is smart play.

I'm possibly interested in a few depending on what you have. Send me a PM.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oh man. Is that the first instance of someone playing a Walking Ballista for zero just to get a cheap Bone Picker on camera?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I like the slow rolled LT there.

The w/r sideboard is pretty :laffo: though. He didn't think the sideboard out at all.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

sit on my Facebook posted:

Relentless Dead is a trap imo

Yeeeeah, I think so? You need to hold up a lot of mana to use the abilities and I don't think there's a good free sac outlet to really exploit it. It can be a solid card but probably can't sustain the price.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeeeeah, I think so? You need to hold up a lot of mana to use the abilities and I don't think there's a good free sac outlet to really exploit it. It can be a solid card but probably can't sustain the price.

Its a mythic and zombies has tons of casual appeal. The price is going to stay high.

The menace and curve is the most important part. The ability is going to be relevant less often.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Caleb did not extend the hand...

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sickening posted:

Its a mythic and zombies has tons of casual appeal. The price is going to stay high.

Up until three weeks ago it was at $5 soooooo

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Well I was off by 10 days, whatever.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I think there was in the WR deck where the dude was stuck on singe red the whole game. But yeah not making waves. I'm more sad Hazoret hasn't shown up.

And then immediately closed the game when they drew the second red tbf

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Up until three weeks ago it was at $5 soooooo

Zombies wasn't a deck that showed up in a feature match. Look at the prices of it right now. Its going to be at least 6 weeks before it would drop again in any significant way for all sorts of reasons. Casual people by the truck loads are going to want to build this deck or decks like it. Zombies, goblins, angels, and all the other iconic tribals get a boost in price from casual appeal. I am sure fnm's everywhere are seeing this deck this next friday.

God forbid it cements its way into a tier 2 deck of the format. If that happens it keeps going up.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

UberJew posted:

And then immediately closed the game when they drew the second red tbf

And would have closed the game way earlier if he used his hub for the red to exert and kill Thing in the Ice before it could flip and kill his Gideon the very next turn. It was a huge punt, and he was so lucky the control player bricked on land for about 4 turns.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
This is two good posts so far??? https://twitter.com/drilmagic

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
I know it's just an SCG event and the pros are waiting for the PT to bust out the spicy tech, but seeing this Top 4 have three copies of Mardu Vehicles is still a bummer.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

there are a lot of fundamental issues with a lot of stuff related to standard but i think one thats pretty underrated is that wizards pushes their cards they want to be good way too drat hard. two decks being 70%+ of the standard format into perpetuity probably isnt great

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The infamous story cards Smuggler's Copter, Saheeli Rai and Felidar Guardian.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Siivola posted:

He didn't say anything about story, and copy cat was an oversight.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

there are a lot of fundamental issues with a lot of stuff related to standard but i think one thats pretty underrated is that wizards pushes their cards they want to be good way too drat hard.

Yup, it was repeated only 5623184 times.Totally underrated.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Siivola posted:

Gids is a pretty dang good example

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

black potus posted:

This is two good posts so far??? https://twitter.com/drilmagic

I'm a fan of those posts.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
What's the best way for me and a buddy to do a sealed draft for Ahmonkhet? I'm guessing "buy a fuckload of boosters" isn't a very effective way to do it. Where do I source Lands from?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Siivola posted:

rai and guardian are both perfectly fine and not pushed cards, they just shouldn't have been in the same standard together

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Here it is in all it's retarded 1996 glory:
Deck: The Wave

//Main
1 Arcades Sabboth
1 Balance
2 Birds of Paradise
1 City of Brass
4 Control Magic
4 Disenchant
1 Feldon's Cane
1 Fellwar Stone
4 Giant Growth
1 Icy Manipulator
1 Johan
1 Karakas
4 Mahamoti Djinn
1 Maze of Ith
3 Plateau
1 Ragnar
3 Ray of Command
1 Regrowth
2 Ruins of Trokair
4 Savannah
4 Serra Angel
1 Sol Ring
3 Svyelunite Temple
4 Swords to Plowshares
1 Tolaria
4 Tropical Island
1 Tundra
1 Volcanic Island
4 Wild Growth
2 Winter Orb

Display deck statistics

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

The Deleter posted:

What's the best way for me and a buddy to do a sealed draft for Ahmonkhet? I'm guessing "buy a fuckload of boosters" isn't a very effective way to do it. Where do I source Lands from?

Just get a fatpack each, you get 10 boosters and a pack of land

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
I'm not entirely sure that Mardu is objectively the best deck as much as it was piloted waaay better than the decks it's played against (on camera at least) were piloted against it.

Edit: also as Cedric just said, Mardu is a very complete 75 card deck, and none of the opposing decks have felt that way

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 30, 2017

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

sit on my Facebook posted:

I'm not entirely sure that Mardu is objectively the best deck as much as it was piloted waaay better than the decks it's played against (on camera at least) were piloted against it.

Edit: also as Cedric just said, Mardu is a very complete 75 card deck, and none of the opposing decks have felt that way

Mardu is the Abzan of current standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

YggdrasilTM posted:

Mardu is the Abzan of current standard.

Meh. It's pretty clearly the best deck in that room today, specifically, but there were at least 4 instances I saw where the opponent just punted away a win against them. It doesn't seem unbeatable, just the right call for a 48 hour old format.