Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

There's nothing to resolve. He's dead. There is no question about whether or not he died. The only "resolution" anyone can get is everyone standing around for a moment and issuing a eulogy along the lines of "Christ, what an rear end in a top hat."
I agree that they don't have to do any resolution and they could absolutely just leave him dead, but at the same time I'm sure they deliberately chose an off-camera death to keep their options open for spin offs or remakes. And he turned out to be popular so RIP death.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
my boyfriend, who has been presumed dead after i shot him in the head, texted me this

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Moltrey posted:

my boyfriend, who has been presumed dead after i shot him in the head, texted me this

I bet good money that Joker probably would've done something like this if they'd actually taken out Shido without Akechi dropping in.

poo poo-eating grin, plate of delicious pancakes in the background

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Jeez, the homeless split-personality assassin has a surprisingly dark storyline. I've been checking in on him frequently, both day and night, and the "normal" daytime personality just gets more and more desperate and afraid of what's happening when it becomes night. He writes letters to his other personality and puts them in his own pocket, then the night-time personality reads them and scoffs at them. The further you go, the closer he is to giving in. Eventually he's just whimpering that he really wants the Phantom Thieves to come save him, while the night-time personality is satisfied and assured that he'll have complete control over the body soon enough. It's kind of disturbing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Moltrey posted:

Also the system was always broken. It's not Goro's fault that he was neglected by the foster system. It's not Goro's fault that Kamoshida had such a powerful influence over Shujin and was ruining teenagers lives. lovely Adults are lovely Adults. While yes, Akechi certainly doesn't help the problem, it's not like he's happy with things as they are, but continues to work opposite. His, yeah probably dumb, plan is to help Shido rise, and then use the Metaverse to just pull the entire rug out from under him, causing one of the biggest social reforms of Japan. Granted yes, it's pretty bad just HOW focused on his father he is, and he also wants to take full credit for the unmasking of Shido, but the kid is 17 years old and his dad ruined his entire life from the get-go, Goro's point of view isn't incomprehensible to me

Following the pattern of how these kinds of things happen all throughout history, Akechi would have just been Shido 2.0.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Motto posted:

I like the idea of the bad ending, too bad Joker has no sensible reason to make a deal with the floating man who just tried to kill him.

Considering he'd just nearly been erased from existence by the sheer apathy of the general public, and how lovely he'd been treated by most people for the entire game, I'd think he has plenty of reason to say "gently caress the world and everyone in it, except for me and mine."

Montegoraon fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 30, 2017

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Oxxidation posted:

I bet good money that Joker probably would've done something like this if they'd actually taken out Shido without Akechi dropping in.

poo poo-eating grin, plate of delicious pancakes in the background

they should do this for the remake

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Oxxidation posted:

There's nothing to resolve. He's dead. There is no question about whether or not he died. The only "resolution" anyone can get is everyone standing around for a moment and issuing a eulogy along the lines of "Christ, what an rear end in a top hat."

nice reaching

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

That's what this thread is

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Instant Grat posted:

Jeez, the homeless split-personality assassin has a surprisingly dark storyline. I've been checking in on him frequently, both day and night, and the "normal" daytime personality just gets more and more desperate and afraid of what's happening when it becomes night. He writes letters to his other personality and puts them in his own pocket, then the night-time personality reads them and scoffs at them. The further you go, the closer he is to giving in. Eventually he's just whimpering that he really wants the Phantom Thieves to come save him, while the night-time personality is satisfied and assured that he'll have complete control over the body soon enough. It's kind of disturbing.

The way they did these stories are neat. Someone in the main thread pointed out that there's a storyline with Kotaro the dog and the Dog-Loving Girl that advances over the course of the game, and I've been following it in NG+.

I hope Kotaro is okay.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Pollyanna posted:

Following the pattern of how these kinds of things happen all throughout history, Akechi would have just been Shido 2.0.
akechi was, is, and will be a sweet child of god

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Moltrey posted:

Moltrey, you've got to cut it out with idolising all these dashing anime serial killers

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
goro got smoked

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

multijoe posted:

Moltrey, you've got to cut it out with idolising all these dashing anime serial killers
you are not wrong

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Montegoraon posted:

Considering he'd just nearly been erased from existence by the sheer apathy of the general public, and how lovely he'd been treated by most people for the entire game, I'd think he has plenty of reason to say "gently caress the world and everyone in it, except for me and mine."

Took a peek at that ending on Youtube, and it's pretty clearly not much of an ending beyond giving you a little more than the usual "but thou must!" choice, but I was still curious what actually happened to the other Phantom Thieves in it. Does the God of Control release them so they can carry on being the Phantom Thieves? Does Evil Joker keep the deal to himself and let the others think he defeated the God of Control while they were out of it? If they're still Phantom Thieves then the Metaverse must exist, so they must still know Mementos exists, which would make it hard for Joker to convince them there was nothing to worry about, unless the apathy/control powers extend to manipulating his team mates?

I guess maybe Joker just becomes like Akechi, a solo murderous madman rear end in a top hat taking revenge on the world by having it praise him for solving the crimes he sets up. Although if the Persona 5 design team were out of ideas for alternate/bonus content to put into a Persona 5: Golden, an alternate ending where the team breaks free on their own and has to take down Evil Joker would be neat. Wonder what his palace would look like?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Dolash posted:

Wonder what his palace would look like?

nothing but those booty statues from kamoshida's palace

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
joker's palace is just an attic guarded by a maid that fights using coffee, curry, and laundry. her special massage special instantly kills a single party member

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

wizard on a water slide posted:

The way they did these stories are neat. Someone in the main thread pointed out that there's a storyline with Kotaro the dog and the Dog-Loving Girl that advances over the course of the game, and I've been following it in NG+.

I hope Kotaro is okay.

Ahaha. Ahaha.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dolash posted:

Took a peek at that ending on Youtube, and it's pretty clearly not much of an ending beyond giving you a little more than the usual "but thou must!" choice, but I was still curious what actually happened to the other Phantom Thieves in it. Does the God of Control release them so they can carry on being the Phantom Thieves? Does Evil Joker keep the deal to himself and let the others think he defeated the God of Control while they were out of it? If they're still Phantom Thieves then the Metaverse must exist, so they must still know Mementos exists, which would make it hard for Joker to convince them there was nothing to worry about, unless the apathy/control powers extend to manipulating his team mates?

I guess maybe Joker just becomes like Akechi, a solo murderous madman rear end in a top hat taking revenge on the world by having it praise him for solving the crimes he sets up. Although if the Persona 5 design team were out of ideas for alternate/bonus content to put into a Persona 5: Golden, an alternate ending where the team breaks free on their own and has to take down Evil Joker would be neat. Wonder what his palace would look like?

The way I interpreted that ending, it's basically made the Phantom Thieves the one society depends on instead of Shido. But it's unclear whether it's a solo outfit now or if the others are still there.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dolash posted:

Evil Joker

there are law apologists on these very forums, be careful lest they find this space

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
boy I'll square up for Law anytime

granted my Law train ends at "SMT 1 Law Hero is best boy", "Zelenin and Mastema are pretty cool" and "Law is always better than Chaos and even sometimes Neutral if the Neutral answer is just return to the status quo (only if the status quo is bad like SJ"

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Everyone got mind controlled in Law SJ....Zelenin and Mastema can gently caress off!!!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Moltrey posted:

granted my Law train ends at "SMT 1 Law Hero is best boy", "Zelenin and Mastema are pretty cool" and "Law is always better than Chaos and even sometimes Neutral if the Neutral answer is just return to the status quo (only if the status quo is bad like SJ"

Look at these awful opinions. Look at them.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Moltrey posted:

You're like those girls who sent Ted Bundy fan mail while he was in prison

Smh

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SJ states you literally have to be mentally ill to side with Law. Law freaking sucks!!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Persona 5 is cool because you get the cool 'rebel angel who sides with humanity against the Great Authority' side of Lucifer without any of his problematic 'unmake creation an usher in an age of eternal darkness' agenda

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Hear and Obey The Word Of The Lord

Praise YHVH

(don't ask me why I hate Chaos, yet like Law, Hate The Cops, and went True Demon Ending in Nocturne, we all contain hypocrisies)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Chaos is only good in Nocturne and Devil Survivor 1.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ROFL Octopus posted:

You're like those girls who sent Ted Bundy fan mail while he was in prison

Smh
[looks over as im sending goro ihop gift cards in all my letters] first of all how dare you

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
we've had akechi wrong all along, his true name is goro pancakechi

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Chaos is only good in Nocturne and Devil Survivor 1.

also the Raidou games but the alignment stuff was practically invisible

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Argas posted:

The way I interpreted that ending, it's basically made the Phantom Thieves the one society depends on instead of Shido. But it's unclear whether it's a solo outfit now or if the others are still there.
I think if Joker told the rest of the team "this was the only way to save the world from rains of blood and giant flesh bridges; we can still do good by saving people one at a time" they wouldn't be happy but they'd support his decision. It's made clear at that point that they've all accepted that they can't defeat a god, and you even have to persuade them otherwise to get the true ending.

Morgana's the only one that probably wouldn't accept the deal, so it's possible that Yaldoboath doesn't let him out in that ending.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

NRVNQSR posted:

Morgana's the only one that probably wouldn't accept the deal, so it's possible that Yaldoboath doesn't let him out in that ending.

This is the real reason why that choice isn't even a choice

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Moltrey posted:

i mean he is, unironically, the best character in the game

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Moltrey posted:

I think I cannot get along with Law heroes on a fundamental level. Zelanin and Mastema had me throwing up in my own mouth. Like, Chaos paths are generally horrible but at least I can grasp why people would be attracted to it.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is the real reason why that choice isn't even a choice
Joker will never sleep properly again. A terrible fate.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Meme Emulator posted:

I think I cannot get along with Law heroes on a fundamental level. Zelanin and Mastema had me throwing up in my own mouth. Like, Chaos paths are generally horrible but at least I can grasp why people would be attracted to it.
I can't blame anyone for not liking Zelanin or Mastema, but I do just for Mastema being just an arrogant scheming fucker the whole time.

SMT 1 Law Hero is def the most sympathetic, though probably by virtue of just not having as much development as characters of later games. Law Hero is just a nice, morally consciousness kid who survives the demon apocalypse. but is still killed by Alice's guardians in order to be her toy. Revived by God, he's told that he's the new Messiah and must spread the word of the Lord and honestly, what reason does he have NOT to believe that and his once friend is now a godless heathen who will not join him.

I haven't gotten to IV yet to see Jonathan's deal, but he seems like a sweet boy and his design is pretty similar to SMT 1's Law Hero, like Walter is to the Chaos Hero

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

NRVNQSR posted:

Joker will never sleep properly again. A terrible fate.

https://twitter.com/Octopimp/status/857346862067535873

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Moltrey posted:

I can't blame anyone for not liking Zelanin or Mastema, but I do just for Mastema being just an arrogant scheming fucker the whole time.

SMT 1 Law Hero is def the most sympathetic, though probably by virtue of just not having as much development as characters of later games. Law Hero is just a nice, morally consciousness kid who survives the demon apocalypse. but is still killed by Alice's guardians in order to be her toy. Revived by God, he's told that he's the new Messiah and must spread the word of the Lord and honestly, what reason does he have NOT to believe that and his once friend is now a godless heathen who will not join him.

I haven't gotten to IV yet to see Jonathan's deal, but he seems like a sweet boy and his design is pretty similar to SMT 1's Law Hero, like Walter is to the Chaos Hero

The law path in IV is quite horrifying.

• Locked thread