Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am near 100% sure nothing will happen as a result of this. I want to find the truth. Instead of the bias of one side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Under the vegetable posted:

Getting trolled on the loving internet isn't getting hurt.

I'm real glad grand arbiter master rationalist gently caress-rear end mcfly is here to keep us all straitened or with their really cool important opinion on what does and doesn't constitute harassment

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am near 100% sure nothing will happen as a result of this. I want to find the truth. Instead of the bias of one side.

Heck yeah dude get that both sides even debate doing with someone with recourse to and history of exploiting those assumed ground rules to harm other people sounds like a great idea

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
drat MonsterEnvy couldn't you have just been the resident 5e fluffer, period? Like, if you want to not care about "tabletop politics", then don't.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah I am actually trying to get in contact with Mearls about this. I want to know his side of the story.

Jesus christ, this is dumb.

gently caress, I tried.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
If you don't like the game maker man and his creepy friends but still like D&D and want to participate in the 5e ecosystem in any capacity you could do the middle ground thing and just download the PDFs.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

MonsterEnvy posted:

So in fact, you do care quite a lot about tabletop politics. Enough to jump right in the poo poo and roll around.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Normally I want to keep the thread on topic and avoid the shitshow it always becomes.

You are a really stupid rear end in a top hat. "Find the truth" you're not some god damned journalist exposing fraud, you're literally going to someone with a past of enabling harassment and saying "Hey I read on some forum that you were involved with people that harassed users" and expecting "the truth."

How about you stop being a piece of poo poo instead?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

He's someone who actively searches for his name including in this forum so theres a pretty big chance he's currently looking for people to hit here so... yeah I would stop on this plan.

Then I think we would all be on his poo poo list already. So I don't see how this would have have an effect.

But fine as I will respect your wish, even if I don't agree with those who would rather wallow in grudges then find the truth. My message to him did not describe a topic. So I will just ask him something unimportant.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 1, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If I roll a natural 20 on a perception check will someone explain what is going on itt?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Arivia posted:

I'm glad to know that everything is okay for you and your incredibly privileged rear end in the world today.

Sorry, I've been beaten up and raped before, I don't think I give a poo poo if someone calls me names online.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Rape Victim Privilege, thats a new one

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sorry, I've been beaten up and raped before, I don't think I give a poo poo if someone calls me names online.

Great, I'm glad everyone else in the world can stop worrying about their problems because worse things happened to you.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It does not even need to go public, because poundcake to pot brownies, he will let them know personally and probably share your correspondence.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
For the record, now that there IS someone in the thread enabling harassment, I no longer think vitriol towards them is unjustified. (Not that anyone needed my permission in the first place, but I wanted to make my position clear in light of this dumb loving thing that's happening)

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
How the gently caress can you get off accusing someone of being privileged for not thinking online trolling is violence, anyway? You'd have to have lived the most privileged life imaginable to be personally affected by people online who are mad about RPGs.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Normally I want to keep the thread on topic and avoid the shitshow it always becomes.

You are a really stupid rear end in a top hat. "Find the truth" you're not some god damned journalist exposing fraud, you're literally going to someone with a past of enabling harassment and saying "Hey I read on some forum that you were involved with people that harassed users" and expecting "the truth."

How about you stop being a piece of poo poo instead?

I was not even going to mention the forum or accuse him of anything. Anyway I won't talk to him about it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

so you're gambling other people's safety away out of curiosity. Got it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

How the gently caress can you get off accusing someone of being privileged for not thinking online trolling is violence, anyway? You'd have to have lived the most privileged life imaginable to be personally affected by people online who are mad about RPGs.

Online harassment can and does spill over into real life harassment, including violence.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nihilarian posted:

so you're gambling other people's safety away out of curiosity. Got it.

How only I would have been effected at most. I was not going to mention the forum or any names. I was not going to be hostile, and he broke ties with Zak.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

Online harassment can and does spill over into real life harassment, including violence.

And already has, in this case. Like we're not just talking about some shitposting. Zak has harassed multiple people out of the RPG industry. He stalked a friend of mine to the point she had to quit the Internet entirely.

After the last few years with Gamergate and all that it takes willful blindness to think that people won't ruin each other's lives over things in gaming they don't like. It happens.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Does anyone know of a decent 5e homebrew site? I know how dumb that sounds, but I really would like some more spells that someone who knows this game better than me created. The lack of necromancy is sort of sad considering I want my main baddy to be a necromancer for the game I'm running for a few friends soon.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

MonsterEnvy, you keep saying that Mearls has broken off contact with Zak and pundit. How do you know this? When did this happen?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

sleepy.eyes posted:

Does anyone know of a decent 5e homebrew site? I know how dumb that sounds, but I really would like some more spells that someone who knows this game better than me created. The lack of necromancy is sort of sad considering I want my main baddy to be a necromancer for the game I'm running for a few friends soon.

If he's your bad guy, just have him do whatever you want. You don't need someone's homebrew spell, just say "He summons a bone giant out of the ground to cover his escape."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

sleepy.eyes posted:

There is quite a bit of necromancy. What exactly are you looking for. More damaging spells? Undead creation? Plus what Admiral Joeslop said.

Falstaff posted:

MonsterEnvy, you keep saying that Mearls has broken off contact with Zak and pundit. How do you know this? When did this happen?

Cause it was reported on twitter a while back by them. From taking a brief look a while back nether of them had much to say about 5e ether.

Anyway I won't talk to him about it. You are all against it and I will respect your wishes here. Lets just move on and and try and make the thread less lovely again. By doing stuff like help Sleepy Eyes with his question.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 1, 2017

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

sleepy.eyes posted:

I mean, have you checked the DM's Guild for something? I can't vouch for the quality, but I'm sure there are plenty of home-brewed spells on there.

Kobold Press has put out some additional third party magic supplements too. Maybe they have something useful?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

sleepy.eyes posted:

I'm pretty sure there was some UA necromancy stuff including some spells, but it wasn't the best, from memory. Potentially an option if you don't like the rest of the stuff you can find.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Frog God Games has a huge magic supplement called the Book of Lost Spells, but I've heard from people in here that the 5e conversion is a little wonky.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

From the OP

Covok posted:

And I'm following this up with a new thread rule: No More Arguing Or Discussing These Events In This Thread. Take It To The Industry Thread Instead, Where Such Arguments Are Expected.

Can we not get this place locked a third time in as many months

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Elemental Evil Players companion also has a few more spells. At least one is necromancy.

https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/EE_PlayersCompanion.pdf

So here is some extra spells.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
nah

Splicer fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 1, 2017

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
what the gently caress is happening in this thread

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I'm just so tired of all these dungeons and dragons.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I'll look at UA and TEE, thanks. I know I can have my main antagonist do whatever I want her to, but other than plot-related stuff, I'd rather have something more grounded than my imagination. I mean, sure I'll let her raise giants and stuff, but when they actually fight her I'd like some more necromancy that is stated out. I think I'll just reskin some existing spells, seems easier.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nothing to see here, please disperse.

My party ended last session in the middle of running away from a botched negotiation with a Hill Giant chieftain. I polymorphed her into a mouse and we're going to either float her down the river or drop her into the pits below her main hall. She's too fat to move on her own so hopefully it'll ruin the group for a while. We also stole the thing we needed.

And I got to Vicious Mockery the Barbarian who only had two HP left, knocking him unconscious after the fight. Again.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

If you don't like the game maker man and his creepy friends but still like D&D and want to participate in the 5e ecosystem in any capacity you could do the middle ground thing and just download the PDFs.

this is the first time I've ever seen piracy justified morally and it's pretty amazing. well done thread

in other news my antiquated dm has gone from no roll20 ever to 100% on board with roll20 in the span of a month. it's a pretty impressive system when one guy is willing to script a ton of custom things into it, although we can't get our audio/video to work well so have to have a hangouts call going separately

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 1, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

sleepy.eyes posted:

I'll look at UA and TEE, thanks. I know I can have my main antagonist do whatever I want her to, but other than plot-related stuff, I'd rather have something more grounded than my imagination. I mean, sure I'll let her raise giants and stuff, but when they actually fight her I'd like some more necromancy that is stated out. I think I'll just reskin some existing spells, seems easier.

What exactly are you missing spells wise. Out of curiosity.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My party ended last session in the middle of running away from a botched negotiation with a Hill Giant chieftain. I polymorphed her into a mouse and we're going to either float her down the river or drop her into the pits below her main hall. She's too fat to move on her own so hopefully it'll ruin the group for a while. We also stole the thing we needed.

And I got to Vicious Mockery the Barbarian who only had two HP left, knocking him unconscious after the fight. Again.

Ahh Storm King. Most people seem to enjoy that adventure. There is like 6 or so Hill Giants in that encounter right.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mastershakeman posted:

although we can't get our audio/video to work well so have to have a hangouts call going separately

Across two years of weekly sessions I can probably count on two hands the number of times that roll20's audio has worked well for me. It's fairly capable as a map, roller, macro enabler and meeting place, but I still end up resorting to Skype or Discord for comms.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Across two years of weekly sessions I can probably count on two hands the number of times that roll20's audio has worked well for me. It's fairly capable as a map, roller, macro enabler and meeting place, but I still end up resorting to Skype or Discord for comms.

Same. I've only played one campaign through there 2ish years ago but the voice chat was garbage. We all ended up on Skype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

MonsterEnvy posted:

What exactly are you missing spells wise. Out of curiosity.

I'd just like some more damage spells, AoEs in particular. I could see some Conjuation and quiet a few Divination spells being reasonable as necromancy.

My main gripe is the lack of options for created undead, which I can just ignore as DM.