Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jenny Angel posted:

Look the fundamentals of the Clinton campaign were solid

Not at all. The fundamentals of the Clinton campaign were, "Wait for the Republican field to fart out a nominee, and then instead of telling you why we're cool, we're just going to stand in the corner with our arms crossed and sniffing, 'Hey, see that guy? gently caress that guy. You'd be happier over here in this corner." It's the exact same mistake she made in 2008 and the same problem with Kerry's "anybody has to be better than Bush, right?" aw-shucks crap in 2004.

And, unfortunately, that mentality has trickled down into the party at the state levels. The Democratic parties of Wisconsin and Iowa are in complete disarray -- Wisconsin Democrats just let a Republican justice on the Supreme Court run for re-election unopposed earlier this month, for heaven's sake (this being a judge who has argued forcefully that a judge should never be forced to recuse oneself from a case), and a half-dozen ideal candidates to beat Scott Walker have already said, "Nope, sorry, not getting crushed by that steamroller."

I know people who worked as precinct captains in Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Virginia and Ohio, and every single one of them became increasingly more demoralized as the campaign went on, because they got no support whatsoever from the DNC or Clinton's campaign apparatus, just the blandest literature and not even talking points to break out when knocking door-to-door and someone says, "Why should I vote for Clinton?" They had none of that, because the campaign had already coronated themselves the winners on the morning of November 7, 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
All I want or need to know about American politics right now is, how big a chance does Kane have to actually become mayor of... *checks google* Knox County, Tennessee? Good or bad?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

Not at all. The fundamentals of the Clinton campaign were, "Wait for the Republican field to fart out a nominee, and then instead of telling you why we're cool, we're just going to stand in the corner with our arms crossed and sniffing, 'Hey, see that guy? gently caress that guy. You'd be happier over here in this corner." It's the exact same mistake she made in 2008 and the same problem with Kerry's "anybody has to be better than Bush, right?" aw-shucks crap in 2004.

And, unfortunately, that mentality has trickled down into the party at the state levels. The Democratic parties of Wisconsin and Iowa are in complete disarray -- Wisconsin Democrats just let a Republican justice on the Supreme Court run for re-election unopposed earlier this month, for heaven's sake (this being a judge who has argued forcefully that a judge should never be forced to recuse oneself from a case), and a half-dozen ideal candidates to beat Scott Walker have already said, "Nope, sorry, not getting crushed by that steamroller."

I know people who worked as precinct captains in Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Virginia and Ohio, and every single one of them became increasingly more demoralized as the campaign went on, because they got no support whatsoever from the DNC or Clinton's campaign apparatus, just the blandest literature and not even talking points to break out when knocking door-to-door and someone says, "Why should I vote for Clinton?" They had none of that, because the campaign had already coronated themselves the winners on the morning of November 7, 2012.

It's really amazing that the story is just this simple and people refuse to see it. How are you talking about winning and you're not even trying? Where I'm from that's called being spoiled. Entitled. It's all based on the idea that they'd just run up the score until the other guys called for the mercy rule.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 30, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

All that being said, pretty sure Jenny was being sarcastic.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jenny Angel posted:

This is an extremely bizarre thing to get hung up on, especially given that hardly anybody was talking about Benghazi at all by November

Look the fundamentals of the Clinton campaign were solid, and for the Democrats to win in 2020 we just need to make sure that... [peers into crystal ball] Michael Bay doesn't release a commercial failure about a minor campaign issue that never mentions our candidate

I'm an irony boy and I love Hillary

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I said I may not be

Dale Earnhardt

But I CRASHED INTO THE loving WALL BECAUSE I DIDN'T TURN LEFT

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"i may not be David Carradine but I loving choked" doesn't get enough love

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That's some Chapo-esque sarcasm if I've ever seen it

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Thank you for having my back Ken

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The more charismatic candidate always wins.

Carter/Ford? Carter
Carter/Reagan? Reagan
Reagan/whothefuckknows Mondale I think? Reagan
Bush/Dukakis? Kind of a wash I guess.
Bush/Clinton? Clinton
Clinton/Dole? Clinton
Bush/Gore? Bush
Bush/Kerry? Bush
Obama/McCain? Obama
Obama/Mittens? Obama
Trump/Clinton? Okay this is a little weird admittedly because Trump is aphasia personified but at the end of the day he's way more watchable than Clinton. She's a terrible public speaker.

Also worth noting in the washier matchups (Bush/Gore, Clinton/Trump) the outcomes are extremely close.

This system is perfect, it will tell you the future.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 30, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
We are all mary jo kopechne, drowning in the waters of late capitalism after a power-drunk dynastic rear end in a top hat tried to squeeze our tits

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress yeah, the LIAEN: Oven Can't soundtrack just dropped. Can't wait to listen.

Edit no it didn't. gently caress you Spotify. ya dumb bitch!

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 30, 2017

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Magic Hate Ball posted:

We are all mary jo kopechne, drowning in the waters of late capitalism after a power-drunk dynastic rear end in a top hat tried to squeeze our tits

You're right.

*Rewatches Blow Out*

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
they shoot berniebros, don't they?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

CelticPredator posted:

gently caress yeah, the LIAEN: Oven Can't soundtrack just dropped. Can't wait to listen.

Doesn't it show up or is it Premium only for now? Because it works for me: https://open.spotify.com/album/2OlszZmgeaSkY4O6q7SfYf

Track-list is fairly spoiler-free unless you consider "Face Hugger" and "Chest Burster" spoilers.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Quoting for "LIAEN: Oven Can't"

Sorry it wasn't actually up, though :(

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mierenneuker posted:

Doesn't it show up or is it Premium only for now? Because it works for me: https://open.spotify.com/album/2OlszZmgeaSkY4O6q7SfYf

Track-list is fairly spoiler-free unless you consider "Face Hugger" and "Chest Burster" spoilers.

Are you outside the US?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It won't let me play it with a premium. I think it's outside US only.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Free Fire was really fun and pretty funny. I liked it.

Now I'm watching Dario Argento's Opera for the May Horror Movie Challenge, and it's so loving good.

I started my day off with bottomless mamosas and lemme tell you my weekend's been a rollercoaster of alcohol and movies.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Big day for bottomless mimosas in this thread, I loaded up on them before seeing The Elephant Man at the Music Box today.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Homie

Bonestorm

Thrillho?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Power of Pecota posted:

Big day for bottomless mimosas in this thread, I loaded up on them before seeing The Elephant Man at the Music Box today.

Elephant Man is great but I dunno about watching that drunk. It's really sad.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
New Shining themed Chapo was amazing

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I really wish I had some weed so I could get stoned before watching Return to the Batcave.

Also, I didn't care for The Girl with All the Gifts, so I'm hoping the second DVD I got from Netflix is more promising: the SMG-approved Assassin's Creed.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

New Shining themed Chapo was amazing

You can probably hear my fiancee hollering at some point in the recording

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Jenny Angel posted:

Same here. I'll have to listen again I was a hit tipsy by the end.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
American Gods is really good, especially that opening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ow1qPRIs8A

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Christ, they're raking in like 60k a month for a podcast.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It authentically captures something, definitely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMKhQZSK5vQ

I try not to be too prescriptive about language, but I will never accept the post-spellcheck spelling of "ho" as "hoe".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
why does pocket casts say it's $9 on the website, but it's $4 on the app store? both say that it syncs across devices...

edit: Oh wow, google says that I have to buy both seperately... that is... not great.

But I mean, I get that it's not a subscription service, so... eh. Bought the mobile app.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 1, 2017

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS owned and was fun.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

achillesforever6 posted:

American Gods is really good, especially that opening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ow1qPRIs8A

I don't know how Bryan Fuller convinced someone to give him a truckload of money to make more of the stuff that got Hannibal canceled, but I'm so happy he did.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yeah, first episode was dope and just about as Fuller as I could imagine, excited for the rest.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jenny Angel posted:

I'm chanting grey wolf like some people yell worldstar

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
You guys I can't stop thinking about the cover for It Happened One Night

Clark Gable is going HAM on that carrot. Claudette Colbert looks distraught.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS owned and was fun.

Definitely , just saw it tonight. However was real disappointed they didn't drink corona at the end. I felt betrayed.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

You guys I can't stop thinking about the cover for It Happened One Night

Clark Gable is going HAM on that carrot. Claudette Colbert looks distraught.

Did you know that that's literally the origin of Bugs Bunny eating carrots, and by extension, the entire popular belief that rabbits like to eat carrots?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Yup American Gods is pretty drat dope so far, I just hope it doesn't crawl up it's own rear end like it very much looks like it could.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The Dear White People netflix show is very good and im glad i powered through the guy in the first episode saying "I'm only a millennial on paper"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

CelticPredator posted:

It won't let me play it with a premium. I think it's outside US only.

Yeah, I'm in Europe. That's weird because AFAIK it's not like the movie is releasing here weeks earlier (18 May, the same day as A Dog's Purpose :shepface:)

• Locked thread