Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Yeah, it's an awesome controller, but I can't believe how much they go for these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Kramdar posted:

Stop it. Please. What's done is done. Water ruins everything.

nnnoooooo

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
no one wants your musty-rear end wrinklefucked manuals. by trying to keep it alive you tarnish whatever collection it is a part of. any game it is paired with can never truly be CIB

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
No one wanted NES cartridges twenty years ago, and now an old Panic Restaurant, its label worn by soda spills and its casing festooned with rental stickers, can buy you a yacht.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I got one of those as soon as they came out and while the larger directional pad is nice overall they suck almost as bad as the regular GameCube controller because of the button placement, but because the body is shaped like an SNES pad they're always talked up like they're God's Gamepad.

EDIT:

Indirectly related, LMAO Smash...

http://compete.kotaku.com/smash-god-drops-out-of-tournament-because-his-controlle-1794769487

The example is really weird to me, like I could back dash/run/etc. whenever on Soul Calibur 2, CvS2, etc. on the GameCube and as much as I love fighting games I suck at them. I know Smash obviously plays very differently but is there a gap in execution or something where people get used to letting go of the stick after each movement in Smash only?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 30, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This is the only way playing Panel de Pon on the Nintendo Puzzle Collection disc seems at all feasible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neo Rasa posted:

Indirectly related, LMAO Smash...

http://compete.kotaku.com/smash-god-drops-out-of-tournament-because-his-controlle-1794769487

The example is really weird to me, like I could back dash/run/etc. whenever on Soul Calibur 2, CvS2, etc. on the GameCube and as much as I love fighting games I suck at them. I know Smash obviously plays very differently but is there a gap in execution or something where people get used to letting go of the stick after each movement in Smash only?

This is so dumb

quote:

The amount and type of PODE can change any time, so at the moment, the competitively best GCCs are inherently unreliable.

So, so dumb.

But competitive smash is dumb all the way down, so... yeah.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Gorgolflox posted:

Wait, what? Is there a way to fix water damaged booklets? My small collection of CIB Saturn/Sega CD games got damaged in a flood a few years ago and I've stubbornly held on to them. Been thinking about replacing or just getting rid of some of them but Dragon Force is pretty expensive so if I could repair the booklet that'd be swell

oh dear some of these games went up in price, Mystaria, D, and, Panzer Dragoon 1 & 2 are a little higher than I thought :(

why is Virtual Hydlide going for $40+???
Fixing water damage, dunno. Mine is literally stuck together with something sticky, I'm trying to use steam to unstick them.

What type of magic device to dry cleaners have? Maybe that would do something.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Unrelated to that ^, I've just flashed a Saturn Action Replay with Pseudo Saturn Kai. Used swap trick to boot to the flasher, it went surprisingly well. Anyhow, does this somehow marry the action replay to your device? I have two saturns, I did this in what I will call the jankier one (scratched up, loud disc moving noises, etc).

When I move the Kai'd Action Replay to the other Saturn, it doesn't seem to detect it at all, it just asks as if it's not inserted. Is this normal, or does my other Saturn maybe just have a screwed up cartridge slot?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Gorgolflox posted:

Because it's legendarily terrible & US Saturn (and retro in general) prices have been jumping up over time.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Water damage absolutely makes the thing not salvageable and in no way is it worth "doing" unless you're talking about something which is literally in a museum (a real, prestigious museum, with government employees). A friend of mine works in a company that sells bulk paper (like, giant rolls weighing literal tons with massive price tags) with tremendous cash flow, and they extensively tried to find ways to "salvage" rolls that got soaked but this was effectively found to be more or less impossible and now they just hang onto rolls with such damage as training material for newly-hired forklift drivers since it's not as if they can gently caress up those rolls any harder in any way that matters. You want to fix it? Put $15 in your Paypal account, go on eBay, replace it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Paper has memory. I bought a long rear end poster years ago that I could never get to stay flat and would always try to roll itself back together. I ended up throwing it away because where I was storing it had some water leak in and ruined it. All damage to paper is permanent.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

falz posted:

Unrelated to that ^, I've just flashed a Saturn Action Replay with Pseudo Saturn Kai. Used swap trick to boot to the flasher, it went surprisingly well. Anyhow, does this somehow marry the action replay to your device? I have two saturns, I did this in what I will call the jankier one (scratched up, loud disc moving noises, etc).

When I move the Kai'd Action Replay to the other Saturn, it doesn't seem to detect it at all, it just asks as if it's not inserted. Is this normal, or does my other Saturn maybe just have a screwed up cartridge slot?

The cart isn't tied to the Saturn. It's just that Saturns have notoriously bad cart slots. Just keep on trying till it works. Cleaning probably wouldn't hurt either.

You also have to power off between each attempt. It's not hot-pluggable.

azurite fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 1, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There are methods to fix up water damaged paper, but it's some real "you happen to have access to a museum-grade restoration lab and a few million bucks" stuff.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
So I just got the Cross and Dracula's Ring in Simon's Quest. Nothing left to do but beat up that jerk. It might be stockholm syndrome but I think I like this game. It's kind of cool to see a sort of proto-SotN. Castlevania 1 is definitely more fun though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gorgolflox posted:

ProJared, a decently popular youtuber, did a video on it a while back and that probably drew some attention to it. Combine with a small print run and... yeah.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

worthless. posted:

So I just got the Cross and Dracula's Ring in Simon's Quest. Nothing left to do but beat up that jerk. It might be stockholm syndrome but I think I like this game. It's kind of cool to see a sort of proto-SotN. Castlevania 1 is definitely more fun though.

I like to think of Simon's Quest as Zelda 2 done right. The world is great, lots of action that flows well. The real problems with the game (as opposed to the standard complaints which don't reflect the game) are that the "bosses" just don't work and the day/night system would be better if it didn't interrupt constantly and lock you out of doing anything in town. Also, the gold knife is absurdly overpowered to the point that it breaks Dracula, but I like to think of that as a feature.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I like Zelda 2 more.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Was browsing Ebay and what in the actual gently caress?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Souls-II-Sony-PlayStation-3-2014-/112374191639?hash=item1a2a061617:g:gPcAAOSwTM5YxZW5

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

:psyduck: what is this some kind of fake cheque laundering scheme? What in the actual gently caress...

lol if that guy just uploaded the wrong images

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I like to think of Simon's Quest as Zelda 2 done right. The world is great, lots of action that flows well. The real problems with the game (as opposed to the standard complaints which don't reflect the game) are that the "bosses" just don't work and the day/night system would be better if it didn't interrupt constantly and lock you out of doing anything in town. Also, the gold knife is absurdly overpowered to the point that it breaks Dracula, but I like to think of that as a feature.

I mean pretty much every weapon breaks Dracula.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Zaphod42 posted:

:psyduck: what is this some kind of fake cheque laundering scheme? What in the actual gently caress...

lol if that guy just uploaded the wrong images

The text in the description is pretty cryptic too. I'm guessing it's something to do with an ARG.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Zaphod42 posted:

Composite is awful :(

North American TVs don't have SCART or RGB, so your options for the most part involve an upscaler regardless. Some TVs take S-video and/or component, which are way better than composite, but others don't take them natively and would require a scaler too.

The way to go if you can afford it is definitely the XRGB Mini Framemeister scaler, which is just the best there is by a mile and everybody in this thread will tell you so. Get one and you can plug every console into it and then feed them all from that to any HDTV through normal HDMI. It really is *the* solution. It'll accept s-video or RGB or whatever you've got, and then output perfect HDMI. And it has options for all kinds of fancy effects and scanlines and stuff if you like those things.

However, They cost $400+. So if you can't swing that, the cheap $40 scaler I linked before will do the job if you can get an s-video cable, and s-video looks much better than composite. There are some issues with the cheap scalers though, lots of people on amazon post that they got a bad unit and had to RMA it, and I myself went through a few brands that had horrible white smearing before I found that one that worked for me. But if you can't afford a framemeister, that's generally the way to go. Just want to really warn you going in, your mileage may vary with these things. Seems like pretty cheap components.

All that said, if your TV does have the component video inputs (red, green, blue sockets; NOT RGB but YPbPr, which is what we get in NA) then that's basically as good as RGB and would let you skip buying an upscaler completely. But you gotta have a console that can do it, and the right cables.

My PS2 is hooked up directly to my TV through component and it looks fantastic. My SNES and N64 go through S-video to the upscaler, and come out looking very good, but there is a little bit of interference that wouldn't be there if I had a Framemeister.

I'm currently forced to hook up my NES through composite and so its going to be the next thing I look into improving, because man composite sucks.

Thanks for all this!

I've kept up with this thread so I've heard all about the glory of the Framemeister, but as of right now that's definitely out of my price range.

I'm gonna give the S-Video + Upscaler combo a shot next paycheck. I actually have a set of Dreamcast S-Video cables laying around already, so I'll grab the SNES/N64 ones and hopefully Jaguar and I'll be in a good spot.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Scrolling through all those pictures and having the last one actually be the game made me laugh out loud.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
I wrote off those manuals a long time ago, I was only holding on to them because I never got around to replacing them. Was thinking of replacing the cases with Jewel or DVD cases too since the Saturn/CD ones crack if you look at them wrong.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

ProJared, a decently popular youtuber, did a video on it a while back and that probably drew some attention to it. Combine with a small print run and... yeah.

drat youtubers :argh:

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011
Speaking of Castlevania 2, the great big ol' overhaul patch makes it much more tolerable, the clues are genuine rather than cryptic or misleading, the day/night transition is less obtrusive, etc.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Asbrandt posted:

Speaking of Castlevania 2, the great big ol' overhaul patch makes it much more tolerable, the clues are genuine rather than cryptic or misleading, the day/night transition is less obtrusive, etc.

I can't even begin to understand which of the radio buttons to click, apart from the one that sets the page into english

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Light Gun Man posted:

Timesplitters PC ports when??
Eventually:
https://www.tsrewind.com/index.php/en/
It is a authorized fan version for the PC

Zaphod42 posted:

Also Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles connects to game boy advances but you gotta get all the hardware together.
You need a Gamecubes with Gameboy Players and GBAs for the true experience. 5 cubes, 5 tvs, 8 gba to GC cables and 4 gbas...

I have done it once, I typically just run it with GC controllers.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

fastbilly1 posted:

Eventually:
https://www.tsrewind.com/index.php/en/
It is a authorized fan version for the PC

It's also multiplayer-only.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

I can't even begin to understand which of the radio buttons to click, apart from the one that sets the page into english

After hitting the english button, if you use a flashcart or emulator, change the "chipset" option from MMC1 to MMC4, everything else is already set the way you (probably) want it.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's also multiplayer-only.
I honestly did not know that, I have not been actively keeping up with it.

I do not have the hate of controllers for FPS's, unless I cannot remap my buttons.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Light Gun Man posted:

Timesplitters PC ports when??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fCzAXuLibk

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I just bought an SNES and I'm having a great time with it so I'm thinking about buying one of those flashcarts and filling it with a ton of games, but I'm wondering about them.
Do games on these flashcarts perform *identically* to the real deal?

If I'm going to the trouble of playing an original SNES on a CRT in 2017, I'd kinda prefer the authentic experience at least.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 1, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreatGreen posted:

I just bought an SNES and I'm having a great time with it, and I'm wondering if I should buy a flashcart and fill it with ROMs but I'm wondering about them.

If I'm going to the trouble of playing an original SNES on a CRT in 2017, I'd kinda prefer the authentic experience at least.

Flashcarts perform identically, because all they are is a SNES cart with a menu and a shitload more storage space than an official cart sending the same information to the processing hardware. You're thinking of console emulation.

The only games that won't work are ones with the fancy cartridge chips like SuperFX.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

I just bought an SNES and I'm having a great time with it, and I'm wondering if I should buy a flashcart and fill it with ROMs but I'm wondering about them.

As soon as the ROM is loaded, yes, with the only two "maybe" exceptions being Megaman/Rockman X2 and X3 on an SD2SNES, as its extra Cx4 processor may be running slightly faster than on legit carts but I'm not 100% sure what the status on that is now.

Some shogi games which run an extra processor also will "work" but if you don't also have the ROM file for that extra processor in the right place, the AI will make the "first" move its logic tree comes up with as opposed to actually applying any strategy since the processor handling said strategy is absent, but if your ROM is in the right place you're fine.

The above-listed games require an SD2SNES and won't work on the much-cheaper Super Everdrive. The only special chip the Super Everdrive supports, and that's if the board actually has it (so make sure it does, it should say) is the DSP-1 chip, which also had a few revisions and may hypothetically be very very slightly inaccurate if the cart is using a newer DSP-1a or DSP-1b chip if the game was never officially manufactured using the newer chip, but I don't think this is in any way noticeable. The only two major games you need to concern yourself with for this chip are Pilotwings and Super Mario Kart.

SuperFX and SA-1 don't work on anything, so no Star Fox, Super Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island and a few other games.

Star Ocean has to be specially expanded on the SD2SNES to work (also works on the SNES Powerpak), but won't work on the Super Everdrive.

Street Fighter Alpha 2 isn't supported on any flash cart either.

Lastly, the SD2SNES supports specially-modified games using a theoretical chip called the MSU-1, which gives you the equivalent to CD Audio and other features a Super NES CD expansion might have employed.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Only Shallow posted:

Microsoft tried but we all gave them poo poo for it

this is one of my most hated controllers. I do in fact have tiny hands, but also those super oval/oblong buttons with convex surfaces are THE WORST.

e :

I AM THE TOILET posted:

I play Overwatch with a controller on PC because lmao gently caress everything.

accurate post/username combo

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

No fuckin way, holy poo poo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I thought I'd go ahead and point out that one of those pay what you want bundles currently has some retro computer games in it:

https://www.indiegala.com/retrogems

Fortunately the only game in the bundle that's actually worth it is in the $1 tier. Bloodnet is kind of a weird mashup of Neuromancer and Vampire: The Masquerade. Also, Requiem is a perfectly adequate late 90's FPS, though not something that's really worth going out of your way for.

Okay, the sims weren't bad for 1990, but sims are right up there with sports games for titles that age badly.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Motherboard just posted an article about NESticle and its author and other people who were involved along the way. Apparently there was a Great NES Emulator Source Code Heist of sorts back in the mid 90's.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/the-story-of-nesticle-the-ambitious-emulator-that-redefined-retro-gaming

The end bit about Fight Night Round 2 is pretty great :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

Motherboard just posted an article about NESticle and its author and other people who were involved along the way. Apparently there was a Great NES Emulator Source Code Heist of sorts back in the mid 90's.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/the-story-of-nesticle-the-ambitious-emulator-that-redefined-retro-gaming

The end bit about Fight Night Round 2 is pretty great :allears:

I still miss the NESticle feature where you could gently caress with the graphic tables right on screen during gameplay, and save out your graphics hacks to a new rom.

• Locked thread