Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My immediate reaction was, "Didn't ABC try this like 15 years ago with Paul Reubens hosting You Don't Know Jack in character as "Troy​ Stevens" or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Timby posted:

My immediate reaction was, "Didn't ABC try this like 15 years ago with Paul Reubens hosting You Don't Know Jack in character as "Troy​ Stevens" or whatever?

Here I was thinking I was the only one who remembered the YDKJ TV show outside of some obscure references in the more recent games.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Paul Reubens ain't Cookie Masterson by a long shot

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
So, I binged through Detroiters in two evenings. What a fantastic show. Easily the best comedy of the year for me. Weird (but great) finale though.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Popelmon posted:

So, I binged through Detroiters in two evenings. What a fantastic show. Easily the best comedy of the year for me. Weird (but great) finale though.

I dont know why it hit me so hard but 'Bicken Bones' had me cracking up for days after I saw that episode. They're so loving poo poo at their jobs.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Spatula City posted:

speaking of Netflix, is there a Dear White People thread yet? because that show is loving amazing, and I want somewhere to gush about it.

I watched all of it yesterday and it was really really really good.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

bring back old gbs posted:

I dont know why it hit me so hard but 'Bicken Bones' had me cracking up for days after I saw that episode. They're so loving poo poo at their jobs.

The reaction of the people they were pitching to was amazing. I just love all the oddballs they meet. The owners of the furniture store for teenagers killed me.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
American Gods starts tonight on Starz.

Here are the opening credits. I'm getting a "Hannibal meets Blade Runner meets a Nine Inch Nails video" vibe from it. The Hannibal vibes makes sense, since Bryan Fuller is in charge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ow1qPRIs8A

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/EW/status/858839020587163650

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

:wtf:

Who will save America? :patriot:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I've never seen an episode of Twin Peaks but I keep hearing how great it was, and I know they have a remake in the works. Does the original series hold up with being 25 years old, and should I start watching it?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

A lot of Season 2 isn't very good but I watched the whole thing like three years ago and still enjoyed most of it.

It's important to understand that Twin Peaks was The Show that started the trend of serialization and it's important mainly for that reason.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Hughmoris posted:

I've never seen an episode of Twin Peaks but I keep hearing how great it was, and I know they have a remake in the works. Does the original series hold up with being 25 years old, and should I start watching it?
I watched it for the first time a year or so ago.

The first season and parts of the second hold up, but the rest is not so good.

I feel like Riverdale (I'm 8 episodes in) is like a way better attempt at doing what Twin Peaks wanted to do. And yes I know TP wanted to be some parody of soap operas back in the day which is not something RIverdale even bothers to engage with, but IMO it is for the better.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sober posted:

And yes I know TP wanted to be some parody of soap operas back in the day which is not something RIverdale even bothers to engage with, but IMO it is for the better.

Oh yeah, it's also important to understand that much of TP's weirdness is very much part of its attempt to ape and parody soap operas. A lot of Season 2 fails in that it just becomes a weird soap opera.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hughmoris posted:

Yes and yes. Though it's not a remake coming out, rather a third season, so you'll want to have seen the first 2 seasons first if you plan to watch that.

How familiar are you with David Lynch? Because he's got this very specific brand of weird that would probably turn a lot of people off, but I've personally found it fascinating ever since I first discovered him when I watched Eraserhead when I was like 14.

Twin Peaks isn't as weird as some of his other stuff because it had to air on network television and Lynch co-created it with Mark Frost instead of it being just him doing it by himself, but a lot of it is still pretty loving out there.

Give it a few episodes, and if you aren't feeling it, drop it. It only gets weirder and weirder the further along it goes. But if you get into it, you'll probably eat it up.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

The first season is short, and it's fantastic, if a bit dated in some ways. The second season is longer (a full 22 episodes), and the first third of it continues on the path of greatness, until a major reveal happens. You'll know it when you see it.

At that point, David Lynch, the co-showrunner who was mostly responsible for how cool and groundbreaking and ahead of its time Twin Peaks was, left to direct the movie Wild at Heart, leaving co-showrunner Mark Frost alone to run things. The rest of Season 2 ranged from pretty good to absolute dreck (often within the same episodes). But if you come to love the characters and setting, you should probably soldier through it, since Lynch returns for a very Lynchian finale.

Lynch's follow-up movie, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, is also worth seeing, but only after you've seen the show. It's very different and very polarizing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't really care for it, but it's definitely got a distinct charm.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Twin Peaks is weird because Lynch literally made actors give intentionally bad line readings or took their worst take for certain scenes, on top of hiring actors and actresses who weren't...uh...good, so there's many many many times throughout the series where you can't tell whether or not something's intentionally bad, or bad because of bad acting, or somewhere in between, and it constantly blurs the line between what level of performance you're watching. Like there's multiple times throughout the series you're wondering if Lynch is attempting to comment on the people who watch the show, and multiple times where he actually does, so it's always hard to figure out what level TP is currently operating on.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm about 5 or 6 episodes into the second season, and I've gone in blind. The god drat music scenes are horrendous.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Watching American gods through Starz sub on Amazon because it's cheaper than adding it to my cable.

Holy poo poo, the picture quality is so good. Like leaps and bounds above what cable would be and even a cut above the Starz app.

If I could subscribe to all my channels this way, I would. Tired of the overcompressed garbage passed off as TV service.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Gonz posted:

American Gods starts tonight on Starz.

Here are the opening credits. I'm getting a "Hannibal meets Blade Runner meets a Nine Inch Nails video" vibe from it. The Hannibal vibes makes sense, since Bryan Fuller is in charge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ow1qPRIs8A

Just saw the first episode. Holy poo poo. The Bilquis scene was pretty amazing and McShane is, as usual, fantastic.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Watching American gods through Starz sub on Amazon because it's cheaper than adding it to my cable.

Holy poo poo, the picture quality is so good. Like leaps and bounds above what cable would be and even a cut above the Starz app.

If I could subscribe to all my channels this way, I would. Tired of the overcompressed garbage passed off as TV service.

Is it up already?

I didn't know that amazon addon subs like Starz put stuff up right away, I'm used to waiting for the next day with normal prime stuff on like, FX.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Snak posted:

Is it up already?

I didn't know that amazon addon subs like Starz put stuff up right away, I'm used to waiting for the next day with normal prime stuff on like, FX.

They follow Starz's schedule, so it was actually up earlier today, far sooner than it aired.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Just saw the first episode. Holy poo poo. The Bilquis scene was pretty amazing and McShane is, as usual, fantastic.

I watched it live with some friends and it was a mix of people who had and hadn't read the books, I don't know whose reactions were more fun.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

They follow Starz's schedule, so it was actually up earlier today, far sooner than it aired.

Fuckin a.

I will probably check it out tonight then. I have to keep watching all these shows to justify being too lazy to cancel my addon subscriptions.

Also I'm pretty exciting about it, even though I haven't read the book.

I'm rewatching Hannibal right now and it's so loving good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I SO want to watch but I SO want to finish the book!

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

:lol: Could they have picked a more appropriate publicity photo? Poor guy. That's like Sad Affleck level.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

STAC Goat posted:

I SO want to watch but I SO want to finish the book!

The book is not very good at all and you're not missing much putting it down.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Eh, I don't think its great literature or anything but I'm enjoying it.

Of course it says something that I was able to put it down and forget about it for literal months without desperately wanting to know what happens next. But its still a fun world.

Which is probably why I'll watch the premiere tonight before bed and gradually finish the book over the course of the season.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Yeah, the book actually made me less excited for the show, and it's weird because all my friends think it is some amazing work of literature.
Of course, I'm not going to pass up a Fuller production either way, but I really don't want to pay extra for Starz for the privilege.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It took me three tries to get through the novel. It's not really bad but there's a point where it just drags and I kept giving up.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Netflix's entire model is different. They just buy content. They don't make anything themselves, even Netflix originals. They have less control because they just cut a check.

Lol. No.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm thinking of watching the Americans. Is it as good as the other FX shows like Fargo?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

X-O posted:

The Gong Show is something that's really overdue for coming back as it's a pretty great concept. That gimmick host thing is a bit weird though.
Bringing back The Gong Show with a made-up character as host sounds more up Comedy Central's alley, not a network's.

Speaking of Comedy Central, I recently heard about The President Show, and it sounds awful. They did a better take on the concept almost 15 years ago with that Jiminy Glick show. Similarly, Problematic is a (somehow) worse version of that Colin Quinn show from the same older era of CC. Outside of Detroiters, has there been a good new show on that channel this year? My friend recommended Jeff and Some Aliens and it's not good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I'm thinking of watching the Americans. Is it as good as the other FX shows like Fargo?

I haven't seen Fargo yet (it's on my list)

The Americans is really great,

IF you want character-driven period drama. If you are looking for a procedural or plot-driven series, don't bother.

The Americans probably has more in common with Mad Men than any other show I've seen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think American Gods is more or less Gaiman's worst novel, though I wouldn't go so far as to say it's actively bad. It's no worse than a mid-tier King novel, for example. Its worst problems are with pacing and tone, which are both all over the loving map, and the show is starting out in a similar way, except the kooky tonal shifts work better in a trippy visual medium.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

The Americans is the best show on TV.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The Americans is outstanding. Good writing, good acting, wig game on point all the time.

Keri Russell is loving intense on this show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdDrzOqo4og

(The above video contains a spoiler with regards to a character's development. Click at your own peril.)

Gonz fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 1, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Just watched the first ep of American Gods.

It's got a lot of style. Ricky Wittle has some real acting talent. I never would have guessed it from his stint on The 100, so I'm glad he's done with that, since they were wasting him.

As a big fan of Hannibal, the style of Bryan Fuller and David Slade is here in full force.

The writing is the weakest part so far, and I'm wondering how much of it is just imported from the novel.

It was cool to see Demore Barnes again, as I literally just watched the episode of Hannibal where he was a major character this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I'm going back to watch Hannibal again since everyone is talking about American Gods and I'm nothing if not obstinate about doing things differently. For some reason I remembered Will Graham as slightly less schlubby than he is.

It's still really loving pretty and Mads is still a class-A actor.

• Locked thread