Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Seems like there's plenty of Space Marines around if they haven't gone extinct in like 10 000 years :smugdon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

im willing to bet that space marines are actually the most numerous of the 40k factions

In the tabletop yeah. But if that's what we're talking about then the answer to "how much do space marines get paid" is "nothing, they're plastic dolls" lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

a harpy posted:

I love the idea of female space marines. I don't think adding them in would take anything away from SoB. Make them look exactly like space marines, just include 1-3 optional head bits in unit boxes.

Still, there would need to be an in-lore reason. Aren't all the space marines cloned from their primarch? And all the primarchs are male. Or am I wrong about one or both statements?

It doesn't need to be a good reason. It just simply would need to exist.

Yo this is from pages and pages ago, but males have the genetic material to produce both male and female children. And literally the only reason in-lore none of the Primarchs were female is because the Big E was judgemental dad-to-be who didn't want daughters. He wasn't a great dad, in general, but that's common knowledge by this point.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Star Man posted:

As cool as the Salamders are, I would not want to live on Nocturne.

Or Fenris.

Really, all of the reasonably humanistic chapters are from hell-worlds.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
"Service is it's own reward, poor."
- High Lord M. Thatcher

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Potential BFF posted:

The Minotaurs are the High Lords of Terra's attack dogs and they allegedly use shifty totally-not-heresy techniques to process their neophytes faster than a standard chapter. They also don't particularly care about getting their marines killed en masse since they've got that sweet line to the High Lords.

They also have a dope color scheme and a cool ancient Greek thing going on.

Minotaurs own.

Also they use Iron Warrior geneseed which makes them the best of the modern marines.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

Also they use Iron Warrior geneseed which makes them the best of the modern marines.
Or possibly World Eaters.

Or possibly both???????

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Or possibly World Eaters.

Or possibly both???????

I'd be down with Iron Eaters. "Iron Within!"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
World Eaters would have been fine if they weren't jamming metal poo poo into their brains rip.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Reading up on the Marines Malevolent... These guys are my new favorite marines, Holy Emperor.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Uroboros posted:

You can have them draw their inspiration not from the Codex, but from something like Guilliman Shrugged.

WHO IS ALPHARIUS.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Marines Malevolent are basically loyalist Night Lords

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Night Lords aren't even chaos marines they're just sick of everyone's poo poo.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

WHO IS ALPHARIUS.

Where's the birth certificate?

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite bit of Helsreach is when they're having the war council and the Marines Malevolent captain calls Grimaldus "fucknuts" while making the OK sign with his power fist on his greave.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
chaos are gonna also get bigly marines when some of the Biggo Marines become ~corrupted~ by an old god

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Hi

Has the new tactical squad kit dropped yet?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/01/new-warhammer-40000-charge-phasegw-homepage-post-4/

2D6" Charging is still in, and overwatch can be fired multiple times per phase (hitting on a flat 6+) until that unit has been engaged. I guess this is to help compensate for chargers attacking first.

Disappointed we didn't see more consistent Move+D6" charges...

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Was really hoping they'd axe random charge ranges and Overwatch too.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

boooooo

that poo poo sucks. The only mitigating factor is that you now only need to be within 1" of b2b contact, which I guess makes it 2D6 + 1

quote:

and overwatch can be fired multiple times per phase (hitting on a flat 6+) until that unit has been engaged. I guess this is to help compensate for chargers attacking first.

meh this is whatever; basically just covers you from getting charged by a unit 12" away that was only declaring so you'd have to risk wasting your overwatch shots

e: Seriously, though. Why bring back the movement stat if you aren't going to use it for charge distances?

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 1, 2017

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Yeah, this is the first bit of 8th edition news that falls flat for me. It feels like a missed opportunity, re-introducing the movement stat and then not using it for charge distances.

I'm already wondering if it's worth house-ruling this to movement+d6.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

Yeah, this is the first bit of 8th edition news that falls flat for me. It feels like a missed opportunity, re-introducing the movement stat and then not using it for charge distances.

I'm already wondering if it's worth house-ruling this to movement+d6.

The only problem with house-ruling movement + d6 is that it's a major shift in distance. With 2D6, the average charge distance is 7". With D6+movement, that jumps to 7.5" for the slowest units, and 9.5" for most others.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I guess some units will get a special rules affecting their charge distance, but I doubt it will be too common. It's a bit of a shame, as I thought the use of random dice rolls as a balancing mechanic was on the way out.

Edit: although I just remembered from last week's post that Advance moves (replacing running) didn't explicitly exclude charging. If that's actually the case it could be a nice little buff for dedicated melee units like Hormagaunts.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 1, 2017

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Argh, that is disappointing. 2D6 is really variable. And being able to repeatedly overwatch could hurt. I play CSM, so most of my forces have pistols of some sort, so at least I've got the CC buff from being able to use pistols in the shooting phase. Quite surprised given that they wanted to make close combat more of a thing this edition. I'll reserve full judgement until I see what modifiers to charge range there are in the game.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
charge distance should just be double you movement

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I guess they thought that a single cultist attempting a 12" charge to take the overwatch for a deathstar 1" away was a dumb idea. Glad to see there will no longer be failed 1" charges.

TheChirurgeon posted:

The only problem with house-ruling movement + d6 is that it's a major shift in distance. With 2D6, the average charge distance is 7". With D6+movement, that jumps to 7.5" for the slowest units, and 9.5" for most others.

Plus, something like Hormagaunts or Assault Marines could do something like a 30 inch move + charge, or 36 inch move + run + charge, if that's in.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
The ability to overwatch multiple times won't matter much in most circumstances. It's pretty rare that a unit has multiple units charging it and does well enough that the first charging unit doesn't make it in.

Unless the unit being charged is Tau and the supporting fire rule still exists. If it does, that rule is a huge boost for tau armies.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Wish they would have given more information on this one. They didn't clarify whether advance + charge in the same turn is okay. And they didn't mention the effect of terrain, coming in from reserves, or disembarking has on charging.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I like the idea of New Marines coming out, because it makes my homebrewed chapter of AdMech Marines a little easier to swallow.

I'm still working on the lore for them, but I haven't really delved into it that much.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I hope they don't remove challenges :ohdear:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Plus, something like Hormagaunts or Assault Marines could do something like a 30 inch move + charge, or 36 inch move + run + charge, if that's in.

ah, this is a good point.

raverrn posted:

I hope they don't remove challenges :ohdear:

disagree :colbert:

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Zuul the Cat posted:

I like the idea of New Marines coming out, because it makes my homebrewed chapter of AdMech Marines a little easier to swallow.

I'm still working on the lore for them, but I haven't really delved into it that much.

Thunder Warriors were taller than Marines weren't they? I wonder if any of the new marine process incorporates elements of that process? That would be kind of cool, and dark.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

It's okay, you can just say you hate fun.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Double post, but agree. Challenges are kinda cool, but the wounds spilled over anyway, and it just complicated the drat phase further, and the Assault phase was already a pain in the butt with all the rules and interactions.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
All I want is a rule where if you use your jump pack to jump into combat and you have a thunder hammer, you immediately pulp the poo poo out of whoever you land on

raverrn posted:

It's okay, you can just say you hate fun.

Challenges are just such a fantasy mechanic. Also the "fun" of them goes away real quick when you play an army that has to always challenge and accept challenges.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

TheChirurgeon posted:

Challenges are just such a fantasy mechanic. Also the "fun" of them goes away real quick when you play an army that has to always challenge and accept challenges.

My unironic favourite part is mulching the other dude and then seeing my 180 pt Lord become a Chaos Spawn. Repeatedly. That and having my Maulerfiend immobilised on turn one.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
How about the part where you can't charge within 1 inch of another unit? I can see priority units easily covered by checkerboard formations now.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Bee posted:

How about the part where you can't charge within 1 inch of another unit? I can see priority units easily covered by checkerboard formations now.

I'm OK with that. What, your screening dudes just let my guys run past them? Being able to screen dudes is fine.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Milotic posted:

My unironic favourite part is mulching the other dude and then seeing my 180 pt Lord become a Chaos Spawn. Repeatedly. That and having my Maulerfiend immobilised on turn one.

It's especially bullshit when it happens to a special character. "Welp, Kharn became a Daemon prince and now he sucks"

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'm OK with that. What, your screening dudes just let my guys run past them? Being able to screen dudes is fine.

So am I. Hell, I'm loving the new emphasis on tactical unit positioning. I was just a little sad to see that tidbit overshadowed by the (still really frustrating) random charges.

Any good suggestions for houseruling that? I'm wondering if "one die must at least be half movement or more" is an okay one, but that might be too complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Couple things about marines:

- They do take breaks. Marines from the Dark Angels, for example, regularly meditate in their cells. Some marines go on pilgrimages to relic worlds, or worlds of note to their chapter history. The Space Wolves feast and drink. What looks like entertainment varies by legion.

- Council of Nikaea didn't last long. It was called prior to the Horus Heresy. Emperor outlawed the Librarius, which was the military psyker division of the legions established by Magnus, the Khan, and Sanguinius. The edict was passed mostly because interference from Horus and Erebus ensured that only Magnus could offer testimony for the Librarius. He wasn't convincing, but it was believed that if the Khan had been there he would have given a successful defense. Once Horus turned and the Ruinstorm made contact with Terra impossible, Guilliman founded Imperium Secundus and repealed the Edict of Nikaea. This was because his librarians (who were operating as normal marines at the time) saw visions of Calth and could have given warning that would have greatly reduced the losses at that battle. The Dark Angels and Blood Angels followed Guilliman's lead. The Khan never outlawed his own psykers. Dorn was at Terra and continued to follow the edict, locking all of his psykers up until the siege of Terra.

It was the edict of Nikaea that directly led to Magnus piercing the Imperial Psi-Shield causing the demonic invasion of Terra, destruction of the Golden Throne, and single handedly hosed the Emperor's plans for humanity.

Regarding 2D6: I wouldn't house rule it until you've played it. In AoS there are a lot of abilities to ensure min charges or charge rerolls or +inches or 3D6. It does suck, but it's not always a naked 2D6.

• Locked thread