Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The local Weather Underground station is constantly buggy and whoever mentioned it earlier was right, the app grows a pretty big cache.

Dark Sky it is I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
...Dark sky loving rules tho

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Endless Mike posted:

Lots of apps back up app data to your account. You obviously signed up for an account at some point.

I'm guessing you meant iCloud account, then. And yeah, it turns out apps can store persistent, invisible preferences in iCloud (viewable on a Mac at ~/Library/Application Support/CloudDocs/session/containers ). I was under the impression that that sort of functionality was handled by UUIDs, but they don't work the way I thought they did.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently set up a VPN that iOS users can connect to with a mobileconfig file. However, I don't have a Mac, so I can't use AirDrop to transfer that file to my wife's devices. I tried emailing it, but the gmail app just shows the contents of the file rather than giving it to the OS. How can I give this file to iOS devices in a way that makes them open it and add the VPN?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

hooah posted:

I recently set up a VPN that iOS users can connect to with a mobileconfig file. However, I don't have a Mac, so I can't use AirDrop to transfer that file to my wife's devices. I tried emailing it, but the gmail app just shows the contents of the file rather than giving it to the OS. How can I give this file to iOS devices in a way that makes them open it and add the VPN?

have you tried opening the email with the built-in Mail.app rather than Gmail? I think that should work.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

maduin posted:

have you tried opening the email with the built-in Mail.app rather than Gmail? I think that should work.

Ah, that worked like a charm, thanks.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there a recommended OCR app? I use Scanner Pro already but unfortunately it crashes every time I try to use the OCR feature (even after a restart, which is the fix offered by their support page).

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

So, I went to change out the audiobooks on my phone and discovered that it won't communicate with iTunes any more. Lots of different explanations for the error, but the most likely is that the version of iTunes my old MacBook is stuck with is too old for current versions of iOS.

So now I'm in the market for an app that will import audiobooks from cloud services. Bound and the audiobook version of CloudBeats are looking like the most likely candidates, but I'd appreciate any suggestions. Especially if there's a non-poo poo free one I've managed to miss.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

runchild posted:

So, I went to change out the audiobooks on my phone and discovered that it won't communicate with iTunes any more. Lots of different explanations for the error, but the most likely is that the version of iTunes my old MacBook is stuck with is too old for current versions of iOS.

So now I'm in the market for an app that will import audiobooks from cloud services. Bound and the audiobook version of CloudBeats are looking like the most likely candidates, but I'd appreciate any suggestions. Especially if there's a non-poo poo free one I've managed to miss.

Any podcast app and justcast + Dropbox will do it.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
You don't need justcast. Overcast does file uploads with premium, and Downcast is a target for media files in the share sheet.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I've got Downcast and yeah, I thought about using that. It would be a pain, most of my books are broken up into 10+ files (a few are in literally hundreds of pieces for some reason), and you can't batch select files. I guess I can stitch them together myself beforehand, but I might shell out a few bucks just to avoid that task.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You might look for an app that can stitch them together. (Probably not on iOS)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

runchild posted:

I've got Downcast and yeah, I thought about using that. It would be a pain, most of my books are broken up into 10+ files (a few are in literally hundreds of pieces for some reason), and you can't batch select files. I guess I can stitch them together myself beforehand, but I might shell out a few bucks just to avoid that task.

You can do this with ffmpeg's concat command, or audacity. On Mac, Join Together is a neat little $5 program that does this as well. I think there are some free ones on windows.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I am looking for a good business card scanner app. I do not want to add contacts to my address book, but would like to have a searchable list of cards in the app itself with OCR to pull contact details from the cards. Used to use Evernote Scannable but dropped my Evernote account when they started charging a monthly fee to sync across devices.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is anyone else's Overcast app good nuts and redownloading already played podcasts?

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Mine does that once a month.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think it might be Patreon RSS fuckery...

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Phone posted:

I think it might be Patreon RSS fuckery...

Yeah it just redone loaded this weeks Chapo for me yesterday but my non patreon feeds are fine.

GORKAAAAAAAAAAA

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I got it from other non Patreon podcasts

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm potentially coming these ways from Android, currently trying things out on my work 5C. The OP looks a little out of date, are there any major new recommendations I should look at?

Also given that I'm coming from Android I'm pretty tied in to Google, what are the best Google supported apps? I'm a big user of Gmail, Keep, Google Calendar and Drive.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Red_Fred posted:

I'm potentially coming these ways from Android, currently trying things out on my work 5C. The OP looks a little out of date, are there any major new recommendations I should look at?

Also given that I'm coming from Android I'm pretty tied in to Google, what are the best Google supported apps? I'm a big user of Gmail, Keep, Google Calendar and Drive.

Gmail and Drive are pretty good on iOS. I don't use Keep or Google Calendar so I can't comment on those.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Spark and Airmail are worth a look, as far as alternative email clients go.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Red_Fred posted:

Give the official apps a go, and if those don't cut it for you, there are a ton of replacements for the first three.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey all, I'm looking for a simple receipt capturing app. My ideal state would be to snap a picture of a receipt, have it capture the image and store somewhere, preferably Dropbox or Google drive. It'd timestamp and allow for the name of the store to be entered. OCR is a plus but not mandatory. Just looking to create a database that I can share with my wife that we can reference if needed.

I started this path hoping there was some hardware I could buy that would scan the receipts and instruction manuals that would be shot over to a share drive or something but it looks like neat receipts is the only game and requires a subscription and I assume lame restrictions.

Ideas?

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
Scanbot has worked really well for me. Takes pictures quickly, syncs to Dropbox or what have you, and has stuff like OCR and naming by location.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Depressing Box posted:

Scanbot has worked really well for me. Takes pictures quickly, syncs to Dropbox or what have you, and has stuff like OCR and naming by location.

This looks perfect, thanks!

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Depressing Box posted:

Seconding Scanbot - it works really, really well, and the upgrade is a one-time purchase rather that the subscription that a bunch of the alternatives try to stick you with.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Arcsech posted:

Seconding Scanbot - it works really, really well, and the upgrade is a one-time purchase rather that the subscription that a bunch of the alternatives try to stick you with.

I prefer Scanner Pro, but really either will work and there' no subscription BS to deal with.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

flosofl posted:

I prefer Scanner Pro, but really either will work and there' no subscription BS to deal with.

I think Scanner Pro is a top notch product, and though there are others that I've heard work ok, Scanner Pro has a ton of features that have been added over the years that just reinforce my love for the app. I've been using it forever, since it was first released, and it's never given me any issues whatsoever. I've also turned several coworkers into it, and it's become an indispensable app for those people. So yeah, I recommend it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Nthing scanner pro. I've also used it for like, 5 years? And it's wonderful. Most of the time I use Evernote for scanning directly to a note but scanner pro is outstanding when I don't want to do that. Syncs right to Dropbox.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

empty baggie posted:

I think Scanner Pro is a top notch product, and though there are others that I've heard work ok, Scanner Pro has a ton of features that have been added over the years that just reinforce my love for the app. I've been using it forever, since it was first released, and it's never given me any issues whatsoever. I've also turned several coworkers into it, and it's become an indispensable app for those people. So yeah, I recommend it.

I actually have a Manfrotto Magic Arm that bought for my camera I repurposed to use with my iPhone specifically for Scanner Pro. I have an iPhone camera mount on a quick release RC2 plate and mounted it on my desk. The arm is locked in the perfect position for the "auto" scan function in Scanner Pro. It makes it super easy to scan a bunch of documents.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Enjoying Scanbot so far and pulled the trigger on that before folks weighing in with Scanner Pro, any stand our features that differentiate?

Only complaint I have so far is that the sync is one way. I need to use Google Drive app to look up receipts that my wife adds or that are already there. That may be unavoidable but still very manageable. I also hoped that if I put it in a folder in the app it would save it in a folder on the drive. Small nits though. I'm planning to organize them periodically and just have the dump folder be the inbox.

Curious on best practices for organization. Subfolders by date, category, other? Prefix file name by date or store?

Using google drive mitigates many of these issues as it has a smart search engine but don't think it searches the OCR content. Which seems like the only thing lost by not having two way sync.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 30, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Josh Lyman posted:

The local Weather Underground station is constantly buggy and whoever mentioned it earlier was right, the app grows a pretty big cache.

Dark Sky it is I guess.

I used to be a huge Wunderground fan but they have had a ton of bugs this year where it sticks to broken stations and I need to janitor it. I don't need hyper-hyper-local weather anyway, it's a dumb hill for them to die on. I've switched to The Weather Channel and I like it a lot.

It has upcoming rain alerts that are just as good as Dark Sky.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-weather-channel-forecast-radar-alerts/id295646461?mt=8

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
OK I am taking the plunge, 6s should arrive this week. From using my 5c over the weekend I know I need at least the following apps:

Podcasts - I used Pocketcasts on Android, is it still good here?
    Alarm - need something that can do pre-alarms and change the next alarm without messing with the normal schedule
    Weather - assuming the default is not great
    Shopping list - could maybe start using Keep for this though
    Twitter - assuming the default is not great
    Pushbullet equivalent - shows notifications for message on your computer (I don't use a Mac)
    Llama equivalent - can toggle settings based on location
    Workout tracker - to track weights etc.

Can anyone recommend anything for me?

Also I notice that some apps are not available in my region (NZ), is that pretty common? It's not something I've ever experienced with Android.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

I used to be a huge Wunderground fan but they have had a ton of bugs this year where it sticks to broken stations and I need to janitor it. I don't need hyper-hyper-local weather anyway, it's a dumb hill for them to die on. I've switched to The Weather Channel and I like it a lot.

It has upcoming rain alerts that are just as good as Dark Sky.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-weather-channel-forecast-radar-alerts/id295646461?mt=8
I switched away from TWC because the cache grew too large.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

Podcasts - I used Pocketcasts on Android, is it still good here?
    Alarm - need something that can do pre-alarms and change the next alarm without messing with the normal schedule
    Weather - assuming the default is not great
    Shopping list - could maybe start using Keep for this though
    Twitter - assuming the default is not great
    Pushbullet equivalent - shows notifications for message on your computer (I don't use a Mac)
    Llama equivalent - can toggle settings based on location
    Workout tracker - to track weights etc.

Can anyone recommend anything for me?

Android.

Serious answer:
Podcasts - Overcast
Alarm - No idea what a prealarm is, the default Clock app is good
Weather - Dark Sky
Shopping list - Wunderlist
Twitter - default
Pushbullet equivalent - doesn't exist any more, pushbullet cant get the proper permissions on iOS to be worth a drat
Llama equivalent - No third party apps can change settings but you could try workflow
Workout tracker - no idea

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
London Goons, can you recommend to me a iOS map app that shows tube/train stations prominently at large zoom outs? Or is there a setting on either google or Apple maps? I , and many people I know, navigate by station way more then road or postcode.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Sri.Theo posted:

London Goons, can you recommend to me a iOS map app that shows tube/train stations prominently at large zoom outs? Or is there a setting on either google or Apple maps? I , and many people I know, navigate by station way more then road or postcode.

I used Google Maps all week last week in London and it seemed fine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Pocketcasts is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Sri.Theo posted:

Citymapper is amazing for getting round London.