Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

People saying eat the dandelion arent kidding. Despite it's weed status according to a lot of people, it's actually perfectly edible from flower tip to the roots.

It'll get everywhere if you dont control the seed spread though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Also, dandelion makes a really good tea that helps with bloating if you have a menstrual cycle, and can help you poop if you're constipated. Also makes a nice salad, a pleasant bitter green.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
One of the UK's most popular and delicious fizzy drinks is dandelion and burdock. Somone just made a light alcoholic version of it, and it is the best thing for sitting out in the sun drinking after a weeding session.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

The dandelion greens taste best before they flower imo. It gets a sharper taste the older the plant gets, similar to rocket.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
What do you guys think of evening primrose? We found some on the side of an abandoned building and snatched it to transplant in garden and yard. Research on whether this was a good idea or not has varied; some people say it's a pain in the rear end and a glorified weed, others love it. I don't want something too crazy... any thoughts? It's very pretty but I don't want to fight yet another invader

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm British-Australian so being all emotional isn't in my nature but I'm going to show some terribly poor form and go there anyway. 15 years of really hard work and really harsh poo poo, all on my own, to get my four children out into the countryside and with a real garden of our own.

This is it, this is the moment I worked for. Ok the Lawn of dandelions wasn't in the dream, and there are less supermodels and yachts, but close enough.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Outside of my townhouse is a maple that has a couple little maplelings growing in the grass under it. If I'm crazy enough to dig them up and put them somewhere that they won't be mowed, how much around them should I dig up? The biggest is no more than 4-5 inches tall.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Is there any kind of guide or app or picture book(Pinterest probably) for some ideas and layouts for my yard? I got a smallish yard that's currently weeds and wood chips and gravel, and it's pretty much a blank canvas.

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003

dupersaurus posted:

Outside of my townhouse is a maple that has a couple little maplelings growing in the grass under it. If I'm crazy enough to dig them up and put them somewhere that they won't be mowed, how much around them should I dig up? The biggest is no more than 4-5 inches tall.

Depending on age, it may still be a single root. If there's​ a few around you can experiment on: try tugging one and see if comes up without a fuss.

For a fail safe approach to high stakes plant saving/relocation: excavate an imaginary half-sphere with a radius equal the plants height. A 5" plant means digging up a 5" deep 10" wide dirt ball to avoid damaging roots.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

learnincurve posted:

I'm British-Australian so being all emotional isn't in my nature but I'm going to show some terribly poor form and go there anyway. 15 years of really hard work and really harsh poo poo, all on my own, to get my four children out into the countryside and with a real garden of our own.

This is it, this is the moment I worked for. Ok the Lawn of dandelions wasn't in the dream, and there are less supermodels and yachts, but close enough.

:3:

I think Fyre Festival has taught us this weekend that dandelions are more reliable than supermodels and yachts.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

dupersaurus posted:

Are those saplings or root sprouts? They might be part of the tree. If they are, they might not be the same as the top tree due to grafting.

If they are true saplings, 4-5" ones should only need to be dug out to about what would fit in a red Solo cup.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 2, 2017

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

kid sinister posted:

Are those saplings or root sprouts? They might be part of the tree. If they are, they might not be the same as the top tree due to grafting.

If they are true saplings, 4-5" ones should only need to be dug out to about what would fit in a red Solo cup.

Good question. There are a few that are obviously coming from roots, but if the big one is it's buried. Is there a way to tell without digging? I went and poked them around some, and it feels about as secure (that is, very) as the ones I can see coming from roots. If it is just the root I'll leave it be.

Edit: they all have the same leaves as the parent, or they're all at least the same species

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Just dig some up and stick them in cups to see how they do. There's no harm in giving it a shot.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you want to save those little saplings then save the saplings and hang the consequences. If it's root then separate them - Use Mycorrhizal FungI to give them a head start.

Planting new trees is cool.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Jaxyon posted:

Is there any kind of guide or app or picture book(Pinterest probably) for some ideas and layouts for my yard? I got a smallish yard that's currently weeds and wood chips and gravel, and it's pretty much a blank canvas.

It's all a matter of personal preferences. There are myriad landscape books and garden design books that will give you insight into arrangements of flowerbeds and garden features but really the main idea is to make something that you can walk around and enjoy. Square beds are easiest to design systematically, for growing vegetables or fruit, decorative beds are usually curved or odd-shaped to fit the general surroundings in an attractive way.

What do you want to do in your yard? Grow vegetables? Have barbeques? Play with your kids? Figure that out first.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Marathon big dreams small spaces on YouTube and see how to do it right and hilariously wrong.

Look out for the one with "I made my friend do months of hard landscaping for no money while I stood back and watched, and then made out that he was a dick for refusing to do any more work after I ripped out an overly elaborate patio of my own design he had spent weeks laying."

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

dupersaurus posted:

Good question. There are a few that are obviously coming from roots, but if the big one is it's buried. Is there a way to tell without digging? I went and poked them around some, and it feels about as secure (that is, very) as the ones I can see coming from roots. If it is just the root I'll leave it be.

Edit: they all have the same leaves as the parent, or they're all at least the same species

Just because the leaves match doesn't mean that they're the same species. Oftentimes, plants can be grafted to many close relatives. For the most dramatic examples of this, look at grafted cacti. This can cause a problem with fruit trees. You might take root sprouts from that peach tree and get plums, or sprouts from that pear tree and get apples.

Why don't you post a picture, including of where the tree meets the ground? Sometimes you can see the graft scar.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

kid sinister posted:

Just because the leaves match doesn't mean that they're the same species. Oftentimes, plants can be grafted to many close relatives. For the most dramatic examples of this, look at grafted cacti. This can cause a problem with fruit trees. You might take root sprouts from that peach tree and get plums, or sprouts from that pear tree and get apples.

Why don't you post a picture, including of where the tree meets the ground? Sometimes you can see the graft scar.

It's a maple tree, if the leaves match...it's probably a maple tree.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Has anyone done a Xeric/Drought tolerant style container garden? The sun has finally broken over the roof on our small north facing patio here in San Jose and I can already tell its going to absolutely bake everything during the summer. We have a lot of stuff planted but want to transition to a plant list and container plan for next year that is more tolerant of the heat.

Thinking of going with a handful of bigger, deeper containers so they can hold water better. CA native stuff like Agastache/Penstemon/Salvia etc should all grow just fine in containers, right? Only real concern is that the patio gets only a few hours of winter sun, until the sun rises high enough and then its all day. Will those plants still flower?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I just learned about a beautiful little plant, a perennial with lovely deep-pink flowers, that likes things dry, dry, dry, and loves sun. I'm phone-posting now and away from my plant/nursery notes, but I'll post with more info and a photo tomorrow. I got one for free (probably wouldn't have chosen it for my garden) and will try it in that shallow deck-railing planter just for kicks.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I'm pretty sure I'm being trolled by a bird.

Built new raised beds over the last couple of weeks and planted out a bunch of new veggies over the weekend. A magpie keeps digging up all the beans and then discarding them :rolleyes: Then I go and stick them back in, only for him to dig them up and scatter them on the ground again. He apparently has no interest in eating them, but he is determined to dig them up anyway, so now I am engaged in a power struggle with the little feathered hooligan.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Enfys posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm being trolled by a bird.

Built new raised beds over the last couple of weeks and planted out a bunch of new veggies over the weekend. A magpie keeps digging up all the beans and then discarding them :rolleyes: Then I go and stick them back in, only for him to dig them up and scatter them on the ground again. He apparently has no interest in eating them, but he is determined to dig them up anyway, so now I am engaged in a power struggle with the little feathered hooligan.

Sounds like he's just weeding his garden.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Okay, here's that plant, a lewisia longipetala "Little Raspberry":

The tag says: Full sun; height 6", spread 6-8"; long-growing alpine plant becomes covered with brightly colored flowers. Blooms late spring and early summer. Tolerates hot, dry conditions; prefers fertile, sharply drained soil.

I don't expect it to do well here in SE MI (zone 6b), but I'll give it a fair shot, anyway.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Hi friends! Can I get some Orchid 101?

Got one originally late last fall, so it's maybe 7 months here, and a new one just now. In comparison, the old one is having some roots die and so I want to revitalize it and not make the same mistakes with the new one.

Anyway, I think we overwatered it (surprise). Did 1/week pretty consistently, but perhaps that was too much in drizzly northern european winter and 10-12 days interval would have been better. Thoughts appreciated, though! In reading, I also doubt that it's in a sunny enough spot to flower, but I'll worry about that once I've figured out the proper water to keep them healthy. Fertilizer (orchid-specific stuff) once every two weeks usually.

Old one

a spot of rot in there

Did I do something ELSE wrong to cause all the exposed roots to shrivel, or is this normal? Wouldn't think too much water would cause that, so I don't know. Humidity, maybe? advice needed

New one for comparison :)

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

kid sinister posted:

Yeah, looks like you might right. The babies are definitely maple, but I took a closer look at the tree and it's not as obvious (to my eye) as I first thought it was. All of the leaves are five-lobed, but some have a small extra pair of lobes coming off the back (see pic), and those without the extras have the vasculature for it. There's no visible scar on the trunk.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Nosre posted:

Hi friends! Can I get some Orchid 101?

Got one originally late last fall, so it's maybe 7 months here, and a new one just now. In comparison, the old one is having some roots die and so I want to revitalize it and not make the same mistakes with the new one.

Anyway, I think we overwatered it (surprise). Did 1/week pretty consistently, but perhaps that was too much in drizzly northern european winter and 10-12 days interval would have been better. Thoughts appreciated, though! In reading, I also doubt that it's in a sunny enough spot to flower, but I'll worry about that once I've figured out the proper water to keep them healthy. Fertilizer (orchid-specific stuff) once every two weeks usually.

Old one

a spot of rot in there

Did I do something ELSE wrong to cause all the exposed roots to shrivel, or is this normal? Wouldn't think too much water would cause that, so I don't know. Humidity, maybe? advice needed

New one for comparison :)

Their roots need a good bit of air and space to stay happy (which is why orchid compost has lots of big pieces of bark in it to keep it from getting too packed).

The best way I've found to water orchids is from the bottom in a tray, and that gives them a bit of the humidity they like as well.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Are there any good succulent-specific books out there? most of the ones I can find are about using them as design/aesthetic pieces which I'm not as interested in at the moment

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
What succulents are you interested in specifically? Probably propagating? I'd like to know as well as I currently have... a lot :D

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Enfys posted:

Their roots need a good bit of air and space to stay happy (which is why orchid compost has lots of big pieces of bark in it to keep it from getting too packed).

The best way I've found to water orchids is from the bottom in a tray, and that gives them a bit of the humidity they like as well.

Yea, I think it might need repotting, not for size but because the material looks pretty dirty. Even if I cut down water I'm concerned there's not going to be much airflow.

If I do, do you guys think I should prune those (dying?) yellowish roots?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What succulents are you interested in specifically? Probably propagating? I'd like to know as well as I currently have... a lot :D

I don't know that I know enough to even choose yet. I'm new to it and bought a few at Home Depot and just love the little things.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

dupersaurus posted:

Yeah, looks like you might right. The babies are definitely maple, but I took a closer look at the tree and it's not as obvious (to my eye) as I first thought it was. All of the leaves are five-lobed, but some have a small extra pair of lobes coming off the back (see pic), and those without the extras have the vasculature for it. There's no visible scar on the trunk.

That looks more like a sweetgum than a maple. Does it have the spiked balls or the spinners for seeds?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, I was honestly thinking sweetgum too, but I'm not really an expert on maple leaves.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I saw this while out today and I want one. Does anyone know what it is?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Looks like indigo. Not sure which kind. Maybe false indigo?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Looks like indigo. Not sure which kind. Maybe false indigo?

It might just be false indigo. It doesn't have leaflets and the leaves aren't mirrored down the stems. Thanks!

Now let's see how invasive and toxic it is!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't know where you live, but you might be able to find a variety of native indigo. I have some in my yard.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
It's definitely a Baptisia australis, which is native to the United States. It's a plant that you really have to be certain about when you plant it, because it can't be picked up and moved once it's established.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Nosre posted:

Yea, I think it might need repotting, not for size but because the material looks pretty dirty. Even if I cut down water I'm concerned there's not going to be much airflow.

If I do, do you guys think I should prune those (dying?) yellowish roots?

Yeah, if those roots are soft and kind of squishy, it's a sign that there isn't enough air flow and the roots are rotting. Not enough air circulation through the potting medium results in problems with roots getting the appropriate amount of water. If it stays damp, they start rotting. If it dries out too much or the potting media is too dense, they shrivel and turn hard with dehydration. If they are rotting (soft, which it looks like they are), then I would prune them. If they are hard (dehydrated), then you could leave them if you wanted without much worry. Don't let the crown get wet when you water.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Kenning posted:

Very cool! That's a pretty uncommon plant – where did you get it from?

From you, actually! I'm putting a little terrarium together this week for some of the smaller / more humidity-sensitive sundews and nepenthes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Anyone know anything about magnolia?

I have an established magnolia cutting in a 9cm pot and I'm not sure when to plant it out, now or pot it on?

I also have a few seeds but from reading they look a bitch to get started, anyone had success?