Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Voyager I posted:

I think in general stealth gameplay is something you're meant to design a game around from the very beginning rather than something you add on a whim 90% through development.

Also unless you're playing silent hunter, possibly it shouldn't be a thing in a game where you're driving a house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Klaus88 posted:

I'll settle for the ability to stack resources, not even in your inventory, just in containers.
They would never, ever, allow stacking unless really pressured by their True Fans, or desperate for ideas. One of the big reasons a game that claims it has "crafting" does not allow materials stacking, is to try and mask the fact it doesn't really have much depth in the way of crafting.

See also, how they ended up gating Multipurpose rooms, despite the fact it's the ONLY generic room in the game (unless you want to argue a tiny section of hallway is a "room" :spergin:). Or how it's harder to unlock most office furniture than it is to obtain nuclear power.

For a credit where due moment, they did finally at least make solar panels default. Back when we used to have MP rooms as default, we also had solar panels locked behind building a scanner and swimming around the safe shallows. But the whole :wtc: part about that was the fact our undersea survival builder was "Air sold separately", regardless of how quickly you could unlock it.

I don't mind a lighter crafting aspect, honestly. The happy little tubes and towers get the job done, and the main reason you even need multiple rooms at all even in a minimalist base is for stuff only allowed one per MP room. So then you can focus on building your dream hamster tube habitat rather than it being a pain in the dick to build a merely functional base (If only modding were a thing, so I could have transparent reinforcement plate windows). Granted a big part of that was the QoL a cyclops stuffed full of lockers provided to bring an entire sea mansions worth of materials somewhere unmolested :v:

All my issues are when people don't want to admit it's barely there, but still try to treat it like it deserves a multiplayer survival MMO crossed with a Modded minecraft server's amount of grinding anyways.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 1, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

My biggest gripe with the game is that the entire map is hand-crafted, so after a few playthroughs things get rather dull as you learn where everything is and exploration stops being rewarding.

Wish they had made the map randomized with maybe a few named/static biomes such as the Aurora. That way every game would play differently.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

My biggest gripe with the game is that the entire map is hand-crafted, so after a few playthroughs things get rather dull as you learn where everything is and exploration stops being rewarding.

Wish they had made the map randomized with maybe a few named/static biomes such as the Aurora. That way every game would play differently.

I thought it was random at some point, I could have sworn I remember things changing around before. That'd be an awesome solution to the black void at the edge; just give us some random terrain to play around in maybe?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Plek posted:

I thought it was random at some point, I could have sworn I remember things changing around before. That'd be an awesome solution to the black void at the edge; just give us some random terrain to play around in maybe?

You think the pop-in is bad now?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Probably should've concentrated more on the exploring side of things instead of making the things you explore in become lovely. This game should be about finding neat stuff to find, cool things to see, not babysitting your paper-maché submarine or juggling very limited inventory space.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Part of the reason this is being done is to disguise how little there is to do. Once you know how crafting works, where the materials/blueprints are and stop being terrified by the various monsters you can probably build everything and go wherever you want within the first 2 hours, less if you get lucky with resource drops.

Now that the cyclops can blow up because a Reginald pushes it into a rock they've tacked on however long it takes you to recover from its loss or realize you don't need it at all.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Not every survival game needs unlimited play through potential and I wish they would realize that. Exploring the cool environments should be their goal not impeding it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lareine posted:

From the thread titled "New update made the cyclops feel like a chore"

Holy poo poo. So how many players need to report something before they actually believe they made a mistake and don't just accuse players of lying?

This is quickly becoming like when killing floor 2's devs randomly decided (without saying anything to their early access players) that what their co-op horde shooter needed was for every single enemy to have over 10 different resistances which rendered whole classes of weapons completely useless against many enemies and forced you to memorize a hundred different bars in order to be as effective as before. When people said "why the gently caress" the devs just doubled down and said "well we put a lot of hard work into this, sorry if you don't like it!"

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
The devs just removed terraforming/voxels from the game, it is hardly fair to accuse them from forcing a feature down your throat because it was hard work.

It was pretty clear that they wanted to have a crafting/exploration game that morphs into a more horror style end game. The far and outer biomes are the more creepy ones.
The cyclops not being invincible fits that design. Meeting the sea dragon has a lot more impact if you're not in your invincible mobile house.

A tweak to lower the frequency of outside repairs would remove some of the annoyance though. gently caress those repairs for touching a wall.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Beef posted:

The devs just removed terraforming/voxels from the game, it is hardly fair to accuse them from forcing a feature down your throat because it was hard work.

The only reason they did this was because they couldn't figure out a way to not make it massively increase save game file sizes.

I've been following their Trello for a while now, and based on the conversations they have amongst each other, and the questions they ask about the Unity engine, they aren't exactly the best devs. I mean they still haven't figured out how to fix terrain seams.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
This whole saga solidifies my opinion that forums are garbage piles full of uninformed bad opinion and devs should never, ever listen to a word of any single one of them.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I think the cyclops being damaged is fine, but it should only be leviathan and above creatures that should be able to. The idea of bone sharks biting into titanium and enameled glass is insane.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
tbf, our enameled glass is literally made from bone shark teeth

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Not really trying to defend them here, but most devs have similar performance issues with Unity. Looking through the list of Unity games for games I've tried 3/4 of them had issues with performance.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Gamedev here, yeah Unity is known for not being the most efficient engine. Honestly, for a project of this scale, they would have been better off rolling their own engine in C++ most likely. But the time for porting everything to a new engine was probably two years ago so now they're stuck with it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bhodi posted:

So? Look at how alloys work... Copper and tin are both very weak/soft metals, but combine to form tin bronze, which is much stronger/durable than both. A copper/tin weapon would do almost nothing to a bronze armor.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

enraged_camel posted:

So? Look at how alloys work... Copper and tin are both very weak/soft metals, but combine to form tin bronze, which is much stronger/durable than both. A copper/tin weapon would do almost nothing to a bronze armor.
:rolleyes: i'm not having a "this isn't realistic" discussion in a game that has magic fabricators and the ability to carry enough material in your swimsuit to construct a giant sub, again, out of thin air

I'm just saying it makes sense in game logic if you take a material from a creature and make something with it, that creature will have the ability to damage it

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Bhodi posted:

Then you can be certain the teeth aren't harder than the slab of submarine and it'd be a pretty unattractive thing for a bone shark to bite.

Not that ocean predators make a habit of attacking huge nonliving objects to begin with, from the realism angle.

^from a game perspective if you have to defeat X monster to build Y armor I'd actually expect Y armor to work against X monster. That's progression.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 1, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Bhodi posted:

:rolleyes: i'm not having a "this isn't realistic" discussion in a game that has magic fabricators and the ability to carry enough material in your swimsuit to construct a giant sub, again, out of thin air

I'm just saying it makes sense in game logic if you take a material from a creature and make something with it, that creature will have the ability to damage it

So by your logic turtles are able to smash other turtles shells?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bhodi posted:

However a nuclear space submarine from the future shouldn't be damaged by slightly oversized barracudas.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Bhodi posted:

Sorry, no. Thompson's Teeth are the only teeth strong enough to eat other teeth.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

However a nuclear space submarine from the future shouldn't be damaged by slightly oversized barracudas.
Whether it should or shouldn't is entirely up to the gameplay. I don't disagree that they likely went in the wrong direction with the colossus, but as I started a new game this patch I haven't built one yet to see how bad it is in person. I don't think I leave it in dangerous areas in general though; it's not like reapers are "guarding" anything you need to get to and if what the devs say is true than it can't even be damaged when you aren't inside it. It probably just adds tedium.

What I DO think is bad is that you now get all these upgrades from lifepod info caches, way, way before you can get the modification station to actually use them (given logical game progression through message breadcrumbs)

e: and the PDA that actually leads you to the jelly shroom cave to continue the story and has the mod station is on a floating island path away from the habitats and so very easily missed

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 1, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

SinineSiil posted:

Not really trying to defend them here, but most devs have similar performance issues with Unity. Looking through the list of Unity games for games I've tried 3/4 of them had issues with performance.

To be fair most devs are pretty bad, especially at efficiency stuff and mathematics heavy stuff.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bhodi posted:

I'm not asking for realism in the sense that "it should work like that in real-life". I'm asking for the game to be internally consistent where things make sense within the game's own universe.

The reason you combine stalker teeth with glass is to make enameled glass, which is so strong that it can be used in the crafting of a gigantic deep-ocean exploration vessel. The requirement is that you should be able to see through the material, but it should be strong enough to withstand huge amounts of pressure so that it doesn't cave in when you go below 200 meters. Considering this strength requirement for the material, it is loving stupid for large fish to be able to damage it by ramming into it.

I'm not against larger fauna to be a threat to the Cyclops. Like someone else said, leviathans are both huge and strong, and should probably be aggressive towards something that is close to their size and they might perceive as a rival apex predator. Similarly, it would make sense for creatures that spit lava to cause hull damage, and Ampeels to use their electricity to damage/destroy the vessel's electronic systems (causing internal fires). The current implementation is totally brain-dead, though, and makes things super tedious.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 1, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

Holy poo poo. So how many players need to report something before they actually believe they made a mistake and don't just accuse players of lying?

This is quickly becoming like when killing floor 2's devs randomly decided (without saying anything to their early access players) that what their co-op horde shooter needed was for every single enemy to have over 10 different resistances which rendered whole classes of weapons completely useless against many enemies and forced you to memorize a hundred different bars in order to be as effective as before. When people said "why the gently caress" the devs just doubled down and said "well we put a lot of hard work into this, sorry if you don't like it!"

I've been bringing up KF2 regarding Subnautica chats, and vice versa for a reason, yes :v: Ever since goons and Steam pubbies had to :airquote: "Bully with outside opinions"rush their official forums to prevent them from keeping the up to minute long crafting timers on everything (Devs: You're exaggerating! There are things that take 50 seconds tops, not two minutes :smug:)

RE Realism in games chat... Is it any surprise by now it got brought up by someone trying to justify an inconvenience in a game to themselves? It's still the same argument even when you say "It's not a realism claim! It just makes internal logic that materials crafted from lesser predators can be hurt by lesser predators because immersion!"

Honestly, selective views of "It's realistic/Immersive if-" across all genres and formats over the years has become one of my top signs that poo poo is going to be stupid :sigh: Even longtime internet pals I've done the whole turbo nerd DnD thing with fall into this trap. Going from coming up with bullshit grade magic weapons for my fighter to have while he's slumming it with generic gear, and discussing how much to pay the goblins we hired to man seige weapons when "Whoa! You cant knock people out with ranged weapons! It's not REALISTIC to knock people out with sharp things!... What, the fact I'm willing to let the casters KO people with flaming sphere? It's not my fault magic isn't realistic."

This poo poo is a disease across gamedev and player mindsets in all genres, but you can't convince people it's "Bad" because most of the time people honestly think they are being smart good helpful people citing their wildly selective stances on "Wait, it would be more REALISTIC/Immersive/Lore friendly if-" for whatever ballbuster of an anti-fun feature they are championing.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 1, 2017

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Don't be an idiot like me and spend an hour searching for Cyclops upgrade fragments to unlock the Submarine option on the Fabricator because the Cyclops now comes with it's own upgrade fabricator in the engine room (on the starboard side).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mehrunes posted:

Don't be an idiot like me and spend an hour searching for Cyclops upgrade fragments to unlock the Submarine option on the Fabricator because the Cyclops now comes with it's own upgrade fabricator in the engine room (on the starboard side).

Okay, while it's nice it comes with one by default now (As that's half the entire point of a Cyclops is a fabricator, the other being mobile storage lockers)... Are you saying you can't build a fabricator inside a cyclops anymore by hand, or something?

EDIT: Okay, rereading it sounds like you're talking Cyclops upgrades ala Moonpool console stuff. So that's an actual pleasant touch of streamlining (Every sale, has been so many confused people trying to deal with the bizarre "Wait, I need to use a fabricator/mod station but it only counts INSIDE the cyclops?" stuff). Even if one that doesn't make up for all the stuff discouraging cyclops use in the first place.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 1, 2017

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Am I doing this right? I feel like this is the appropriate level of preparation I should be using...

Section Z posted:

EDIT: Okay, rereading it sounds like you're talking Cyclops upgrades ala Moonpool console stuff. So that's an actual pleasant touch of streamlining (Every sale, has been so many confused people trying to deal with the bizarre "Wait, I need to use a fabricator/mod station but it only counts INSIDE the cyclops?" stuff). Even if one that doesn't make up for all the stuff discouraging cyclops use in the first place.

Right, after a 100 hours I'm so used to building a fabricator on the sub right away to build upgrades and I completely whiffed on seeing the fab in the engine room.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
It is such a pain in the rear end to have to get out of the cyclops every time you brush a wall (which is really, REALLY hard to avoid when you're moving around the lost river or blood kelp) and have to repair it.

Also, those crabsquids and their EMPs are annoying as poo poo. They don't attack you but they keep blasting their EMPs off if you're near them. Of course, you can't go faster than the silent running or you'll get attacked (and have to repair you ship even more) and if you stay in silent running you'll get EMPd over and over.

Having said that I had fun exploring the precursor base in the mountains and in the lost river. Next - lava castle. though I have no idea how I'm gonna get by that leviathan thing. What did you guys do?

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Bhodi posted:

This whole saga solidifies my opinion that forums are garbage piles full of uninformed bad opinion and devs should never, ever listen to a word of any single one of them.

Regarding engine gamedev stuff, they probably went with Unity for Subnautica after it took eight years to developing their own engine from scratch for NS2. I wonder where they stand now on the middleware engine vs roll your own.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Game remains very good.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Game remains pretty. I'm seeing a lot of people complain about the cyclops change and a lot of dev's being defensive about it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That is an accurate assessment.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Still angry you can't close the panel that lets you change the color / name. WHY ARE YOU SO BRIGHT IN VR WHEN I TURN THE INTERNAL LIGHTS OFF

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Here is a baby man encountering his first reaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZJSckfrkDs&t=225s

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

7c Nickel posted:

Here is a baby man encountering his first reaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZJSckfrkDs&t=225s

That went a lot like my first reaper encounter.

Except I was out of my seamoth and the reaper somehow threw my and itself out of the water without killing me.

:supaburn: "Swim away! Swim away!" :supaburn:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

:nono:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Were you disagreeing with somebody asking to add decompression chambers into the game for the Nth time?

Then again, I doubt the mods cared that much when people were chain disagreeing with literally every post I made in any thread back when we had to Goonrush to save the game from giant timers on everything. Including disagreeing with me saying "So I've noticed you have disagreed with literally every post I've made on the forums up to now" :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It was from the crafting timer thing, yeah. One guy was doing that to people so I did it to every post he ever made. It was months ago, whenever that was.

I only found out that a mod messaged me because it sent me an email about it the other day.