Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

quoting this because it's pretty drat cool what you can do with software and processing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I've read a few articles saying there are rumors that tmo is going to try to merge with or acquire sprint

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

I've read a few articles saying there are rumors that tmo is going to try to merge with or acquire sprint

Yeah and I don't think there will be any regulatory scrutiny this time but they spent a lot of money in that auction and I haven't heard if they're still thinking about acquiring Sprint now that they aren't so flush. Given that we know that DT wants out of the US market, I don't see how an acquisition helps them accomplish that and Sprint has nothing at all of value to T-Mobile. I really think they were seriously considering it pre-auction but now:

-Sprint has absolutely terrible spectrum and now T-Mobile's holdings might be the best in the industry. There's nothing they gain from Sprint in this regard.

-Sprint's existing network infrastructure is wholly incompatible with T-Mobile. They gain nothing immediately by acquiring their towers and in the long term they're better off moving to their 600MHz band than any of Sprint's bands.

-Sprint's finances are worse than a pile of money on fire which SoftBank discovered and is why they can't wait to get out.

The only thing buying Sprint would do for them is eliminate a "competitor" that is so incompetent that they really aren't competing with and getting them the worst kind of customer, the kind who is shopping primarily on price rather than quality. When there's always an MVNO offering bad cell service for $10/month or whatever, it's best to not pursue those customers anyway.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I've been a T-Mo customer for almost 20 years (back when they were Voicestream) and I'll be the first to admit you had to accept a lot of downsides but they've always had excellent customer service at least.

I worked for T-Mobile from 2007 to 2010 in one of their customer care call centers, and I'm surprised anyone found the customer service in 2010 was close to excellent with the push the them CEO had on making sure everyone had the most expensive services. I lost my job because I refused to trick people with no interest in having mobile data on their Nokia bar phones into adding a $10 a month feature. And then they started flirting with the no contract concept, and if you wanted to move to the no contract plan, people were required to buy out their existing contracts, so that $20 a month per line you were going to save didn't really offset the $1200 bill you'd get for moving your four family lines to it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Variable_H posted:

I worked for T-Mobile from 2007 to 2010 in one of their customer care call centers, and I'm surprised anyone found the customer service in 2010 was close to excellent with the push the them CEO had on making sure everyone had the most expensive services. I lost my job because I refused to trick people with no interest in having mobile data on their Nokia bar phones into adding a $10 a month feature. And then they started flirting with the no contract concept, and if you wanted to move to the no contract plan, people were required to buy out their existing contracts, so that $20 a month per line you were going to save didn't really offset the $1200 bill you'd get for moving your four family lines to it.

The only time I could say that dealing with them was less than excellent was in that period after the AT&T merger was announced but before it was denied and I think I'd have a lovely attitude if I were about to be associated with AT&T.

I guess I don't mind companies trying to sell me on things, I can always say no. Tricking old ladies into poo poo they don't need is immoral but I can't imagine any company doesn't do it. :capitalism:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is anyone else with a Pixel having battery life issues since 7.1.2? Looking at Reddit I'm not alone :(

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Not enough to cause range anxiety yet, but noticeably worse battery, yes.

I've noticed it running warmer, too.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is anyone else with a Pixel having battery life issues since 7.1.2? Looking at Reddit I'm not alone :(

I wouldn't say I have battery issues, but it does seem to drain a little bit faster. I'll get home with 35% instead of 40%

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I didn't want to mention anything since I still have the freezing issue but yeah it's draining pretty drat quick. I saw the Reddit thread as well so hopefully it will be patched soon

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

Not enough to cause range anxiety yet, but noticeably worse battery, yes.

I've noticed it running warmer, too.

Same, rip.

*whips out S8*

what now, bitches

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same, rip.

*whips out S8*

what now, bitches

Please be a joke.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I always see people extol frequent updates as a virtue of the Google devices but like every update I see someone coming in with some new problem

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Blue Train posted:

I always see people extol frequent updates as a virtue of the Google devices but like every update I see someone coming in with some new problem

To be fair sometimes people blame an update when it's actually just really poo poo hardware dying like my Nexus 5X that is bootlooping now!

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Please be a joke.

I think CLAM DOWN's life goal is to have his own Money Bin, except instead of money he'll be swimming through a pool of old smartphones.

Then dry off next to his Note 7 fireplace.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

P sure he gets them from his job and explained this in the last few pages; he is not hotsauce

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Blue Train posted:

P sure he gets them from his job and explained this in the last few pages; he is not hotsauce

Shhh it's more fun to be the next hotsauce :unsmith:

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I think CLAM DOWN's life goal is to have his own Money Bin, except instead of money he'll be swimming through a pool of old smartphones.

Then dry off next to his Note 7 fireplace.

also this

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

How much grip tape is on your Pixel?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Literally covered. Literally.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I saw an article mentioning that the Galaxy S8 allows you to choose which apps can play audio through bluetooth, to keep notifications from interrupting your music for example. That's one feature I hope to see show up on all Android devices soon.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think I have the same issue. Even so, I can still make it through the day. Between "Android System" and "Android OS," they've been using more battery than the screen today.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

So im in the market for an upgrade and i thought id ask here, what phones are worth looking at?

Im think the s8+ because the only other viable option of not-a-poo poo-phone is the s8 which is a bit too small. What do you guys think?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

So im in the market for an upgrade and i thought id ask here, what phones are worth looking at?

Im think the s8+ because the only other viable option of not-a-poo poo-phone is the s8 which is a bit too small. What do you guys think?

If you don't care about a usable fingerprint sensor, go for it

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Inept posted:

To be fair sometimes people blame an update when it's actually just really poo poo hardware dying like my Nexus 5X that is bootlooping now!

See also: People in /r/Nexus6p clinging to the idea that Nougat caused the early shutdown/rapid battery degredation "bug" and that it can be fixed with a patch despite the shitload of "Hey guys I replaced my battery and don't have the early shutdown problem anymore and my SOT tripled!" posts.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

Seems fine to me. Maybe I just know how yo actually use a phone and its features? You sound like a pixel user based on your 1 post.

The only way the pixel would be a good phone is if it had flash.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Seems fine to me. Maybe I just know how yo actually use a phone and its features? You sound like a pixel user based on your 1 post.

Flash....like, Adobe Flash? A camera flash? Flash storage?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don't engage.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Flash....like, Adobe Flash? A camera flash? Flash storage?

Adobe flash. The greatest thing of all time. Why google wont add flash support is beyond me.

It shows the serious disconnect they have with their users and the only reason people parrot google is because they are the same kind of people who buy apple products.

Flash did nothing wrong.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Adobe flash. The greatest thing of all time. Why google wont add flash support is beyond me.

It shows the serious disconnect they have with their users and the only reason people parrot google is because they are the same kind of people who buy apple products.

Flash did nothing wrong.

Dude come on, you can try harder than this!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

bull3964 posted:

Don't engage.

I have replaced my Nexus 4 with a Nexus 5 someone threw away. It runs the latest version of Android.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

I don't mind you trolling a bit, but was being sincere :) Big knock on the S8 is the awful fingerprint sensor, which is not something that can be fixed. Otherwise, if you play with it for a minute and are fine with the software, go for it. Maybe it even has Flash for you.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

atomicthumbs posted:

I have replaced my Nexus 4 with a Nexus 5 someone threw away. It runs the latest version of Android.

Must've taken some time trawling around people's trash.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RVProfootballer posted:

The fingerprint sensor location is fine, no problem with it so far. Using my phone with my left as well as my right hand (S8+)

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't mind you trolling a bit, but was being sincere :) Big knock on the S8 is the awful fingerprint sensor, which is not something that can be fixed. Otherwise, if you play with it for a minute and are fine with the software, go for it. Maybe it even has Flash for you.

Samsung should add flash into Tizen just to show how much they care about security on their software.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

The fingerprint sensor location is fine, no problem with it so far. Using my phone with my left as well as my right hand (S8+)

Nah, location is bad and the sensor itself is bad and even the most gushingly positive tech reviews all agree. The most beautiful phone ever has one wildly annoying issue, bad biometrics, the fingerprint sensor is in an absurd position next to the rear camera which is hard to reach and will make you repeatedly smudge the camera lens, atrocious fingerprint scanner placement, Biometric issues aside, the Galaxy S8 is a brilliant phone; If you want this phone, you'll need to answer this question: are you OK using an iris scanner? (because the fingerprint sensor is so bad) etc etc.

But it's ok to like your phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

best thing about the S8 is that for all the hagiography Verge does about it, their photo comparison still puts the Pixel on top.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I'm going to trust my own experience more than some tech journalist's. It's not "hard to reach", it's pretty much at the perfect location for my fingers to reach. But it is located too close to the camera lens. Still, smudging hasn't been a problem for me so far, and I use the sensor all the time.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 1, 2017

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
S8+ here, also fine with the sensor location. I was worried it would suck after all the reviews but it's perfect for the way I hold it, in my left hand and operate with my right. My index finger naturally falls right above the sensor, so all I have to do is move it down a bit.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

I'm going to trust my own experience more than some tech journalist's.

It's good that you're good with it, but you being good with it doesn't mean most people will be. I'll go with the reviewers that try out phones for a living, grade on a curve where the lowest you can get is an 80%, love everything else about the S8, and still think it's awful.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Interesting if true

According to marketing material for T-Mobile that was shown to Android Authority, the nation's third largest carrier hopes to make another pain point disappear. The next Uncarrier announcement will supposedly involve a new phone made exclusively for T-Mobile. It will include all of the features that you'd expect to find in a top shelf model in the $650-$800 price range, but will be priced much less. And the handset will include a lifetime warranty along with free insurance. This way, if the phone is broken, it can be replaced with no problem. And it will be commitment free so that anytime you want to turn it in, you can do so with no repercussions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Can't wait for the One Plus TMO.