Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ithle01
May 28, 2013
The thing about hordes is that when you're strong you're strong enough to punch above your weight, but you can easily start to fall into a death spiral so your number one thing is to avoid the death spiral at all costs. Looting countries in wars is how you keep your unity up and you should never find yourself short of targets for this. Weak targets of opportunity are key for this once you have high development. Keeping manpower high is also a big deal because you can easily tap yourself out so don't fight battles you don't need to fight and keep a few mercs handy to absorb losses. Razing should be done everywhere, especially high development areas, because the point of razing is to make it so you can take more land in wars and to fund its own coring cost. Build your forts on flat lands and lure enemy armies in then murder them on the grass. Avoid mountain forts if at all possible. Just because you can use a high cavalry/infantry ratio doesn't mean you should - your economy is going to be poo poo relative to what it should be for your size.

If you're looking for a good 'starting horde' to learn with try one of the Manchu tribes and don't be too concerned if you die quickly.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Am I the only person who feels like the recent change to diplomatic relations really fucks up a serious part of the game in a bad way? I seriously hope that it's a bug, the fact that AI states all got a free relations slot reserved for the player made perfect sense and also stopped the AI from loving itself by only allying useless weak powers. Though I guess the frequently questionable choice of allies is a bigger issue there than anything else.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

RabidWeasel posted:

Am I the only person who feels like the recent change to diplomatic relations really fucks up a serious part of the game in a bad way? I seriously hope that it's a bug, the fact that AI states all got a free relations slot reserved for the player made perfect sense and also stopped the AI from loving itself by only allying useless weak powers. Though I guess the frequently questionable choice of allies is a bigger issue there than anything else.

Most people seem to think it's a bug and it fucks up the game in a real bad way. It really ruins the HRE where it's impossible to do much of anything and any OPM start is untenable to the extreme.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I Love You! posted:

Most people seem to think it's a bug and it fucks up the game in a real bad way. It really ruins the HRE where it's impossible to do much of anything and any OPM start is untenable to the extreme.

That they released a hotfix and didn't address it worries me. Really, the fact this made it into a release in the first place is a problem. It's glaringly obvious and they must have caught it. I wonder how bad a bug actually has to be to change their schedule.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Ithle01 posted:

The thing about hordes is that when you're strong you're strong enough to punch above your weight, but you can easily start to fall into a death spiral so your number one thing is to avoid the death spiral at all costs. Looting countries in wars is how you keep your unity up and you should never find yourself short of targets for this. Weak targets of opportunity are key for this once you have high development. Keeping manpower high is also a big deal because you can easily tap yourself out so don't fight battles you don't need to fight and keep a few mercs handy to absorb losses. Razing should be done everywhere, especially high development areas, because the point of razing is to make it so you can take more land in wars and to fund its own coring cost. Build your forts on flat lands and lure enemy armies in then murder them on the grass. Avoid mountain forts if at all possible. Just because you can use a high cavalry/infantry ratio doesn't mean you should - your economy is going to be poo poo relative to what it should be for your size.

If you're looking for a good 'starting horde' to learn with try one of the Manchu tribes and don't be too concerned if you die quickly.

I've done Khan of Khans and usually use mercs as my infantry even, or especially in the beggining. You just need to get used to the idea that you're a much smaller nation than you look like, and lure your enemies into horrible gangbang deathtraps where you can stack wipe them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh it goes without saying that your ideal situation is to have your infantry is mostly mercs and your manpower goes mainly towards reinforcing your horse gods but that requires a lot of money.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Well that's what war is for, take as much cash as you can in early wars so that you can afford a few units of merc infantry to do all the poo poo jobs and take losses for your cav and if you take some loans or debase currency then such is life. Corruption is annoying from a long term perspective, but from a short term it's basically negligible. All you have to do is survive long enough to get big. The tribes estate is incredibly useful for helping maintain manpower and cavalry maintenance down as long as you don't gently caress up and get caught over 80% influence.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 30, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Senor Dog posted:

That they released a hotfix and didn't address it worries me. Really, the fact this made it into a release in the first place is a problem. It's glaringly obvious and they must have caught it. I wonder how bad a bug actually has to be to change their schedule.

Well they actually inverted AE impact on calls to war somehow which had to be hotfixed so I'm still vaguely hopefuly that it's a bug which didn't get picked up yet.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Senor Dog posted:

Something's really broken I tried some Ragusa starts yesterday but the diplomatic game was just too broken for it. Assuming you're using steam you can just set it to use the 1.20.1 version of the game, as long as you're not in Asia or are fine with Ming being stable.

Fun fact, I just broke Ming in 1468 because Oirat was allied to the Timurids and they actually came to help. Not sure I can survive this because I am at low horde unity with no manpower and still 9 WE, but Ming is burning and already lost Jin, Qin, Yan, Liang, Wu and Qi in the north.

This map actually looks pretty cool because both Oirat and Timurids got hosed over in the war too, Asia is burning and rebels are everywhere.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Welp I can't save the game anymore. How fun. Even deleting ALL files and reinstalling didn't do anything (had to change the resolution because it went default). The game creates a 4mb .tmp file under my documents but it doesn't show up in the load or save menus in game. Not running any mods of course.

Apparently I can save to cloud just fine, but locally doesn't work at all. I have 300gb of free space and it does create files but it just refuses to read them.

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 30, 2017

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Here's a fun bug. If you are a tributary nation, giving land to a vassal in a peace deal earns you no AE. At least that was how it worked out for me in my war with Vijayanagar. I took five provinces from them and gave them to my vassal Jaffna in the peace. The only nation that got any AE out of the deal was those nice Ming guys I'm paying tribute too:

I find it rather amusing that Jaffna is really pissed at Ming for not stopping me from giving them all that land. I guess the lazy bastards don't feel like doing all that coring.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

To be honest, having every single country in the world have an empty diplo slot exclusively for the player is a massively unfair advantage.

That being said, it really does make things frustrating.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fister Roboto posted:

To be honest, having every single country in the world have an empty diplo slot exclusively for the player is a massively unfair advantage.

Being able to save and retry when your brilliant plan to invade Russia in winter goes south is also a massive unfair advantage. The designers aren't obliged to put the player on even ground with the AI unless it would also be fun to play that way.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Fister Roboto posted:

I wouldn't say so? You'd still need to be able to fulfill the other requirements for it. Which can actually be rather hard in some situations, especially on higher difficulties.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yami Fenrir posted:

I wouldn't say so? You'd still need to be able to fulfill the other requirements for it. Which can actually be rather hard in some situations, especially on higher difficulties.

What it really comes down to is that you can now only make allies which for whatever reason have absolutely no other AI states which want to ally them, this usually means that they're either piss weak or diplomatically isolated. In a recent game for example as Tabarestan the only allies I could get were Uzbeks and Crimea even though allying the Mamluks would make perfect sense for both of us; unfortunately the Mamluk AI seems to think that random minors in Arabia and North Africa are better allies than a richer, more powerful state which is better positioned to actually fight with its rivals (because of distance modifiers and poo poo which were more meaningful on day 1 when those alliances were made)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

In my Naples game I was able to be allies with both France and Austria despite the penalty. It's only -50, so it's not impossible. Having common rivals and being friendly with them is usually enough. I'm not saying I like the change, but I think it's working as intended.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

RabidWeasel posted:

What it really comes down to is that you can now only make allies which for whatever reason have absolutely no other AI states which want to ally them, this usually means that they're either piss weak or diplomatically isolated. In a recent game for example as Tabarestan the only allies I could get were Uzbeks and Crimea even though allying the Mamluks would make perfect sense for both of us; unfortunately the Mamluk AI seems to think that random minors in Arabia and North Africa are better allies than a richer, more powerful state which is better positioned to actually fight with its rivals (because of distance modifiers and poo poo which were more meaningful on day 1 when those alliances were made)

IIRC According to Paradox this is precisely why the feature exists, not for player benefit, but for sidestepping AI shortcomings in how it allocates its diplomatic relations slots. So it would be very surprising if it's not a bug.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

In my Naples game I was able to be allies with both France and Austria despite the penalty. It's only -50, so it's not impossible. Having common rivals and being friendly with them is usually enough. I'm not saying I like the change, but I think it's working as intended.

Like most game mechanics which are a bit lovely it probably works OK in Europe where everything is much closer together and the same religion.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Drakhoran posted:

Here's a fun bug. If you are a tributary nation, giving land to a vassal in a peace deal earns you no AE. At least that was how it worked out for me in my war with Vijayanagar. I took five provinces from them and gave them to my vassal Jaffna in the peace. The only nation that got any AE out of the deal was those nice Ming guys I'm paying tribute too:

I find it rather amusing that Jaffna is really pissed at Ming for not stopping me from giving them all that land. I guess the lazy bastards don't feel like doing all that coring.

There's other bugs with tributaries too, as Manchu I declared on someone who was allied to one of my Tributaries and they got dragged into the war, and then I couldn't peace them out because the game was thinking I was THEIR defender. The game kinda went full circle and thought I was defending them.

On the plus side, White Sheep was fun, 6 retries and I managed it, you really need to get lucky on revolts for QQ to lose a lot of land.

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
Having a go as Spain and got the Burgundian inheritance within a couple years. Wasn't planning on it at all and not really sure what to do with it. Currently I'm allied with Portugal and France, rivalled with Austria/England. I would like to smash through France and join up my lands but they are allied to the Ottomans so I was thinking of leaving that for now. I'm limited in my expansion options but the massive amount of dev I just took on seems like it will keep me for a good while.

So I guess my question would be, how do I best consolidate this position? I've heard the dutch revolts can be a huge issue.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Do I remember correctly that if I call an ally to war with a promise of land, but I then don't take any land, that ally won't mind or want land out of the deal anyway?

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I think you have to give a percentage of all development taken according to the ally's war participation, so yeah if you don't take any land it's fine.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Do I remember correctly that if I call an ally to war with a promise of land, but I then don't take any land, that ally won't mind or want land out of the deal anyway?

That's right; so long as no land is taken by anyone, they won't care. You can Humiliate, take War Reps, money (which they'll get some of), break up treaties, release nations, etc so long as you and your vassals don't take any land for yourselves

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Having the ability to offer alliances on the day that they become a possibility is an unfair advantage, one enjoyed exclusively by the AI.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
These 100% admin efficiency strats are funny and all but I don't understand what Paradox were expecting considering it's an additive bonus. Surely there's going to be a nerf on the way?

(Why even make percentage modifiers additive? IIRC they've had this issue before with negative maintenance/interest rate/etc.)

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone noticed a meaningful change as a result of the new sailor mechanics? Or is it still a mostly useless number?

Redmark posted:

(Why even make percentage modifiers additive? IIRC they've had this issue before with negative maintenance/interest rate/etc.)

Percentage modifiers that are multiplicative tend to create bigger balance issues, at least when they're bonuses. Additive means not having to keep in mind all the other bonuses of the same type that are available, a 20% bonus will always be a 20% bonus. Although sometimes you end up at 0% or 100% and stuff breaks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's still the same in that it's meaningless when you have a lot of sailors already and it fucks you hard if you don't. The only change is that it fucks you even harder now.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Instead of trying to turn sailors into a meaningful mechanic, they should just remove it from the game entirely. I don't want to have to think about that poo poo, it's just not fun.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think it's fine to have your navy require some sort of manpower... but that's what manpower is for. Just have ships require manpower. HOI4 uses manpower for everything despite being a less abstract game.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm trying Great Horde again, even though I got their achievement for conquering everything way before horde mechanics were added in. How in the gently caress do you stay afloat economically speaking? I had to abandon my last attempt, even though I crippled Muscovy and Lithuania. I couldn't afford to pay interest on my dozen loans and bankruptcy was inevitable.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

How do you force spawn religious rebels? Is it just sending a missionary to a thousand months conversion, reducing authonomy in the province, and wait? Low stab, high OE and WE as well I guess?

I'm trying to do Aragon->Byzantium and while I have the initial invasion down pat (Mil Access from Venice and park army in Durazzo, no-CB declare on Albania same day Ottos declare on them, vassalize, call in France/Venice/Poland into the defensive war), I am having trouble with the culture and religion conversion. For switching to Greek I have to throw away some provinces/destate others so that Greek is 50%, which kinda tanks my economy eventually, while the religious part takes ages. Any trick to avoid these downsides?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

canepazzo posted:

How do you force spawn religious rebels? Is it just sending a missionary to a thousand months conversion, reducing authonomy in the province, and wait? Low stab, high OE and WE as well I guess?

I'm trying to do Aragon->Byzantium and while I have the initial invasion down pat (Mil Access from Venice and park army in Durazzo, no-CB declare on Albania same day Ottos declare on them, vassalize, call in France/Venice/Poland into the defensive war), I am having trouble with the culture and religion conversion. For switching to Greek I have to throw away some provinces/destate others so that Greek is 50%, which kinda tanks my economy eventually, while the religious part takes ages. Any trick to avoid these downsides?

If you have greek as an accepted culture you can can culture change any province to it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What the gently caress is going on? Why is my Colonial Nation getting dogpiled by natives and I'm not getting called into the war? They're losing land faster than I can colonize.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

YouTuber posted:

What the gently caress is going on? Why is my Colonial Nation getting dogpiled by natives and I'm not getting called into the war? They're losing land faster than I can colonize.

This is working as designed, apparently. Either subsidize your colonial nations to help them build their army or declare war on the natives yourself to deal with them.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Am I the only person who likes the new sailor mechanics? I think it's cool ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Of course if you asked me it should be applied to armies as well. Attrition used to be absolutely brutal.

Anyways, switzerlake is a pretty fun achievement to go for! I really like the swiss ideas, and their starting location is really good for winning defensive wars.
I might do a trip report of this game later because it involves Moroccan Portugal, Papal Itally, Teutonic Prussia, and Ragusan Venice all entirely due to AI shenanigans.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

IAmThatIs posted:

Am I the only person who likes the new sailor mechanics? I think it's cool ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Of course if you asked me it should be applied to armies as well. Attrition used to be absolutely brutal.

Anyways, switzerlake is a pretty fun achievement to go for! I really like the swiss ideas, and their starting location is really good for winning defensive wars.
I might do a trip report of this game later because it involves Moroccan Portugal, Papal Itally, Teutonic Prussia, and Ragusan Venice all entirely due to AI shenanigans.

What part about sailor mechanics is cool, exactly?

The part where they've been entirely pointless and completely ignoreable beforehand, unless you were small, at which point it just stopped you from making boats?

Or the part where it's still pointless, but now also makes smaller nations even less capable of supporting a fleet?

The new mechanics literally do not add anything to the Sailors resource, it only makes it worse for those that already suffered by it's lackluster implementation.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

YouTuber posted:

Mountaineer posted:

This is working as designed, apparently. Either subsidize your colonial nations to help them build their army or declare war on the natives yourself to deal with them.

In 1.20 you had to take a very proactive stance against natives to protect your CNs, but that's no longer the case. As of 1.21, you are supposed to be called to arms if "primitives" attack your colonial nation, and your colonial nation cannot proactively attack them.

But "Independent nations" whose capital are in the new world are different. I could be wrong but I believe this means unreformed natives cannot attack your CNs, but reformed natives can. And so can other colonial nations who successfully declared independence (or any old world power who got exiled to the new world, usually portugal, sometimes castile). I would still take a proactive stance against north american and south american natives because the AI can reform those, while they generally will never reform in mesoamerica.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also is it just me or does Castile seem extremely weak this patch? Morocco totally ran them over in both of my campaigns and they never colonized the new world. They also regularly refuse to build boats for some reason, so that seems broken.

edit: I've also seen multiple cases where the AI didn't bother building an army at all, running at very few or sometimes even no troops despite having the money, manpower, and force limits, until someone declares war on them. I wasn't paying close attention to Castile but I wonder if that's what happened to them.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 1, 2017

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Yami Fenrir posted:

What part about sailor mechanics is cool, exactly?

The part where they've been entirely pointless and completely ignoreable beforehand, unless you were small, at which point it just stopped you from making boats?

Or the part where it's still pointless, but now also makes smaller nations even less capable of supporting a fleet?

The new mechanics literally do not add anything to the Sailors resource, it only makes it worse for those that already suffered by it's lackluster implementation.

I really don't get it. A country with few ports has a low naval force limit and takes forever to build a large fleet because ships are slow to build. What do the sailors even add, except another annoying limit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Also is it just me or does Castile seem extremely weak this patch? Morocco totally ran them over in both of my campaigns and they never colonized the new world. They also regularly refuse to build boats for some reason, so that seems broken.

edit: I've also seen multiple cases where the AI didn't bother building an army at all, running at very few or sometimes even no troops despite having the money, manpower, and force limits, until someone declares war on them. I wasn't paying close attention to Castile but I wonder if that's what happened to them.

Castile AI seems to have a lot of trouble navigating the early civil war/unrest events now and regularly goes into bankruptcy in my games. I'm often targetting them early as African/native powers now because they tend to collapse badly in Europe giving me free reign of all their colonial enterprises.

It's almost certainly the new bankruptcy rules causing that AI behavior but Castile has seemed particularly vulnerable to it. I don't think the AI knows how to get out of a death spiral right now and the early Castillian events make one very likely.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 2, 2017

• Locked thread