Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

I think Monopoly is pretty fun

:agesilaus:

U motherfukr

I'll show you fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Truant posted:

Then I guess Monopoly is a good game.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

It's almost like every special snowflake has their own version of "good" or "fun".

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ropes4u posted:

It's almost like every special snowflake has their own version of "good" or "fun".

Good is objective fun is purely subjective

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Anyone going to the U.K. Game Expo? I'm seriously considering going.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Lorini posted:

Anyone going to the U.K. Game Expo? I'm seriously considering going.
Was thinking of going for a day excursion (just take the train there and back without staying). Hotels too expensive now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rumda posted:

Good is objective within a relative frame. A mechanic that's really good in one game might be a goddamn disaster in another.

And "fun" is only one subjective measure. I love 1846 and Terra Mystica, but I wouldn't describe the enjoyment I get from games like those as fun. Fun is :toot: and :classiclol: and :dance:. Many good games are :smugbert: and :catholic:

Many popular games are :a2m: and :circlefap:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm sure you can make it a fun experience with friends and copious amounts of liquor.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Semantic arguments about fun are super boring and unfun

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Rumda posted:

Good isn't objective. If it were, we wouldn't be discussing it here.

Rutibex posted:

The other factors (like balance, replayability, depth of strategy, randomness)

These things are subjective too and really depend on your group. The value of balance is largely dependent on whether players prefer asymmetry over symmetry and/or are very proficient/willing to break games open.
Replayability is dependent on the group's need for variety. Depth of strategy doesn't have to mean more fun either (consider time spent waiting on other players), and randomness is such a general term it's pretty useless as well.
You can go all the way from liar's dice to chess, random to predetermined. Is chess a 'better' game because it's less random?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Asymmetry doesn't mean that something is unbalanced.

Also, things like randomness/depth of strategy/etc are objective criteria hat can be used to analyse games and see how well a game works as a whole. Of course it's possible to say that you like, subjectively, more/less randomness but that doesn't change the fact that something can be objectively more random than something else.

The thing about those objective criterias is that they aren't black and white "random bad/non-random good" like the straw man that you are constructing. Randomness is an important criteria to analyse because randomness badly applied can make a game bad just like no- randomness badly applied can make a game bad.

Saying everything is subjective is reductionary as gently caress.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 1, 2017

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Megasabin posted:

Just skipped around in the Man vs. Meeple video. I have to admit nothing really caught my attention, but that could just be that the video itself was fairly boring. The game seemed like an amalgamation of a few Euro ideas from different popular games. What makes it appealing and a "hot game"?

I like the games that it's appropriating (TM and Navegador, primarily) but it does seem a hella staid design in a genre that can be iterative to begin with. It does less new things than Scythe.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Tekopo posted:

Was thinking of going for a day excursion (just take the train there and back without staying). Hotels too expensive now.

I found a hotel in Solehil for $227 for three nights but I'm driving.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

On the topic of fun / well designed games. What is the consensus on one deck dungeon? I am pretty sure I will back it, despite the random dice chucking, for a light small footprint travel game.

I can't decide if the two versions of brass are different enough to back at the $100 level, thoughts?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Tekopo posted:

The thing about those objective criterias is that they aren't black and white "random bad/non-random good" like the straw man that you are constructing. Randomness is an important criteria to analyse because randomness badly applied can make a game bad just like no- randomness badly applied can make a game bad.

Saying everything is subjective is reductionary as gently caress.

For instance, I generally dislike auction mechanics in games, so whenever I listen to reviews of games from people who list auctions as their favorite mechanic in gaming, I temper my expectations of any game they mention that has auctions in it. I also tend to not mind input randomness, but I absolutely despise output randomness where an action can randomly fail for no reason other than "lol get hosed." Output randomness that can be mitigated is more acceptable, but I'd rather just have the costs stated up front.

And that's fine! Some people I game with are the exact opposite! To them, output randomness is amazing and exactly what they look for in a game. They like not knowing if an action will succeed or fail based on the dice, and they like playing by the seat of their pants and adjusting on the fly to what the dice give them at any moment.

But, if all someone does is describe a game as "fun" without mentioning things like how much randomness it has or if there are auctions, or worker placement, or card drafting, or deckbuilding, etc. etc., then calling the game "fun" is pretty useless. Calling a game fun is like calling a burger food. It tells me that it's not utter garbage, but I need a lot more information before I decide whether or not it's worth picking up or seeking out.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Actually no games are fun

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Actually no games are fun
Years into the thread and the title is still appropriate as always.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CommonShore posted:

Good is objective within a relative frame. A mechanic that's really good in one game might be a goddamn disaster in another.

And "fun" is only one subjective measure. I love 1846 and Terra Mystica, but I wouldn't describe the enjoyment I get from games like those as fun. Fun is :toot: and :classiclol: and :dance:. Many good games are :smugbert: and :catholic:

Many popular games are :a2m: and :circlefap:

:yeah: There's an 18xx group that meets twice a month at an LGS. The guy who runs the shop says that whenever he sees them together, they don't look like they're having fun. Obviously they enjoy it since they wouldn't get together twice a month to spend all saturday playing that game. But they look like they're in agony and frustration, like the famous CampaignForNorthAfrica.jpg:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

They are still having fun. Just a different kind of fun.

Edit: this is from someone that plays both 18XX and heavy wargames. Semantic arguments about what the definition of fun are really stupid IMO.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 1, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A more interesting question -- and one that critics and designers rarely bother to ask -- is what a game is trying to accomplish. Games have varying levels of competition, interaction, strategy, puzzle solving, and roleplaying and I feel like the worst games I've played have an identity crisis. They don't know what they want to be or feel derivative without a point. I finish them and regardless of their strategic depth or design I'm left with an empty feeling. I didn't learn anything, there's nothing to reflect on, I don't feel like playing again: it's just a waste of time and space.

I haven't played Cosmic Encounter, but whenever people describe it to me I can't say I've heard of a game that tries to emulate the experience. If there was people wouldn't be discussing it 40 years later. I can't say the same about Talisman, also a game some weirdos speak about in reverence but I can name a sizable list of fantasy adventure games with random events and poo poo.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I didn't learn anything, there's nothing to reflect on, I don't feel like playing again: it's just a waste of time and space.

For me, this is a super important property for a game. Like, for example, Trajan works as a game pretty well, but I never felt a reason to go back to it. There was nothing memorable about what happened, nothing to chew on between games.

al-azad posted:

I haven't played Cosmic Encounter, but whenever people describe it to me I can't say I've heard of a game that tries to emulate the experience. If there was people wouldn't be discussing it 40 years later. I can't say the same about Talisman, also a game some weirdos speak about in reverence but I can name a sizable list of fantasy adventure games with random events and poo poo.

When Garfield made MtG, he said he was trying to make a mix of Cosmic Encounter and Poker - "Cosmic Poker".

CE has too much luck (through randomness, simultaneous action selection, and politics) for me to be a big fan - but there's no denying it has been a super influential game. It has a lot of ideas that have become widespread only relatively recently (like how it uses the Destiny deck - well, and wads of hidden information - to clamp politics).

There may not be games that try to recreate all of the CE experience, but there are games with effectively very similar properties, just in a different package - Kemet plays like a lower-luck CE (though without the radical starting asymmetry).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

jmzero posted:

When Garfield made MtG, he said he was trying to make a mix of Cosmic Encounter and Poker - "Cosmic Poker"

What's the source for this? I've always heard that it was when he was designing Android Netrunner that he used poker ideas, blending Magic and Poker into a bluffing/dueling hybrid, which makes a lot more sense.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Who doesn't love when the board games thread descends into confident assertions about the indeterminacy of language and the validity of reader-response criticism?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
This thread is neither good nor fun right now.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The Gloomhaven Kickstarter is in its last 11 hours: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1350948450/gloomhaven-second-printing

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Rumda posted:

At the risk of dragging the boring discussion further (but hopefully getting some actual responses and some perspective), I'm curious if anyone who actually believes this cares to offer up what objective measurements they use when they apply the term "Good Game".

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Theme/rules connectivity, accessibility, graphic design, UI design, potential downtime during turns, how open ended the game is, playtime (although this relates to other elements, use of randomness etc

It's like film criticism: they have acting, cinematography, use of sounds, how well the film was edited, and it's generally accepted that analysis of those criteria can be used to make an assessment of how good/bad the film is. This isn't mean that there is universal consensus and that's why stuff is discussed on the internet.

Except board gaming criticism is like 3-year-olds learning to speak.

When people say that good is objective they don't mean that there is an absolute truth about a particular game being good or not. They mean that it is possible to discuss if a board game is good or not based on objective criteria.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

What's the source for this? I've always heard that it was when he was designing Android Netrunner that he used poker ideas, blending Magic and Poker into a bluffing/dueling hybrid, which makes a lot more sense.

I can't find the specific source for this wording in this context (I think perhaps one of his cruise talks... the only Google result I get for "Cosmic Poker" is from later and not in the context of Magic).

But I also don't think it's a terribly interesting/extraordinary claim. Clearly Poker is one of his favorite games (since at least college, where he says he played a lot), and Poker being an influence on Netrunner does not preclude it from being an influence on Magic.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

please knock Mom! posted:

I actually own their Frag game. It's awful.

Frag is fast-paced, good, and fun in comparison to Strange Synergy. Never play Strange Synergy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chill la Chill posted:

:yeah: There's an 18xx group that meets twice a month at an LGS. The guy who runs the shop says that whenever he sees them together, they don't look like they're having fun. Obviously they enjoy it since they wouldn't get together twice a month to spend all saturday playing that game. But they look like they're in agony and frustration, like the famous CampaignForNorthAfrica.jpg:

The first time I saw Napoleon's Triumph it was two dudes agonizing turn after turn, and both of them telling me "I'm so screwed...I'm so dead...everything I'm about to do is going to fail horribly" but they both love the game and now I do so.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Garfield's own essay in the Pocket Players Guide.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'd add rules clarity and tightness to Tekopo's list.

FFG is a great example of lacking those.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Are there any general recommendations for organizing tokens/cards/etc or things like that? I'm getting a little worried what with looking to pick up the MK expansion, about having two boxes of stuff to deal with. Plus I backed Gloomhaven sooo anything that might help to organize or make setup/cleanup easier would be awfully nice.

On the same note: how about mats for tiles? I'm basically always playing on surfaces that are quite slippery for them, so I'm always a little nervous I might bonk one and send it spinning off :v:

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Are there any general recommendations for organizing tokens/cards/etc or things like that? I'm getting a little worried what with looking to pick up the MK expansion, about having two boxes of stuff to deal with. Plus I backed Gloomhaven sooo anything that might help to organize or make setup/cleanup easier would be awfully nice.

On the same note: how about mats for tiles? I'm basically always playing on surfaces that are quite slippery for them, so I'm always a little nervous I might bonk one and send it spinning off :v:

Depends on the game but I find the plastic hardware components box to be pretty useful. Not sure how useful it will be for MK.

As for a mat I would get a piece of vinyl fabric from a fabric/craft store and use that.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's not the cheapest solution, but this fits Mage Knight + Lost Legion and will save you about a half hour of set up time.

http://www.thebrokentoken.com/magic-night-organizer/

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Are there any general recommendations for organizing tokens/cards/etc or things like that?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
:mrgw:

quote:

:whitewater:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

$2 dollar plastic trays near the beads in a walmart work great for tokens, If you splurge and get the $6 ones you can change the sizes of the slots.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Petrichor looks cool. It's a light-medium area control game with an attractive theme/board (you're a cloud!). It seems like it has the potential to have some of the neat (but cutthroat) interaction of classic AC games like El Grande in a tidy package and I'm always on the lookout for weekday games like that. That being said the shipping sucks to the US (I know boohoo) but I'm intrigued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Anyone interested in an in depth review of the dark souls board game? Can't imagine it'll even get close to MK or gloomhaven but maybe there's something specific people wanna know about