Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Please post funny jokes about Todd Heap's child in this thread, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I love NOLA

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Flikken posted:

I'm paying off debt, poor life choices till your early 30s sucks to recover from. also they offered several formats (using mass mutual) I opted for medium risk that puts like 30% in the stock market and the rest mixed between cash and bonds.

Yeah sometimes the 401(k) offers some kind of click-through wizard or easy option to just define your risk tolerance and then they choose funds for you. These wizards are usually designed to make sure you buy the most expensive funds they offer, as long as they fit that risk profile. Dollars to donuts you're currently throwing 1-3% of your entire amount into fees annually. If you have some kind of login or access to your account, definitely go in and see what you're actually invested in and what other options are available.

Also if you're young, you should probably be in higher risk. But that means more in a passively managed stock index fund and less in a passively managed bond fund, vs. what they probably did which is more in a stock/bond mixed actively invested 1.2% ER actively managed fund that is underperforming its index by an average of 5% annually and maybe even includes a load.

That would be a bad choice for anyone regardless of risk profile.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Being a heap runs in the family.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

what did Todd heap's daughter say to the teddy bear

nothing because she is dead and therefore cannot speak

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I am at the doctor's office and they told me to get undressed and put on some medical gown shorts thing.

I dunno how undressed is too undressed.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I am at the doctor's office and they told me to get undressed and put on some medical gown shorts thing.

Balls out

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Your doctor has seen a lot of cock and balls in his / her life and is unfazed by it so don't be shy. Hopefully your digestive system is fine otherwise Butt Stuff might be required.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

everything is good, no butt stuff was required this time.

9 more years and there will be butt stuff.

maybe liquidfriend and i can make a buddy appointment.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

No Butt Stuff posted:

All naked, except socks, with the gown on backwards so your junk is all free willy. Slap him/her on the rear end and say, let's do this!

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Anyone here gently caress with HSAs? Seems like a next possible tax savings target after IRAs and 401ks.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I don't but if I had a high deductible health insurance plan I would

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Anals of History posted:

Anyone here gently caress with HSAs? Seems like a next possible tax savings target after IRAs and 401ks.

That is precisely what they are. Tends to be best for folks who don't have a significant or chronic medical issue. Keep in mind that once you have the high-deductible plan from your employer, you are not obliged to pick the HSA provider your employer is offering. You can pick any one you want.

So you can for example let Vanguard help you find a provider offering cheap access to Vanguard funds, which I would recommend.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
I contribute 8% and my employer matches that. I just recently got out of years of debt and now I have no idea what i'm doing to invest so my money just piles up in my savings account. This stuff is overwhelming.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I put around 6k into an HSA yearly. We use the poo poo out of it though, because there's 6 of us. Max out of pocket is 5k, so we end up leaving a bit extra in there yearly.

Not a huge fan, but it is a nice way to make more of your income not taxable.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

HSAs are a way for rich people to stash away more money without it being taxed.

If you need an HSA for actual health purposes you are fuuuuuuucked

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

HSAs are a way for rich people to stash away more money without it being taxed.

If you need an HSA for actual health purposes you are fuuuuuuucked

???

Do most plans that come with an HSA not have a max out of pocket?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you and your family have a lot of medical expenses you are probably better off having a full coverage medical plan. Paying your expenses with tax-free money is worse than your insurance company paying those expenses for you.

Dubious posted:

I contribute 8% and my employer matches that. I just recently got out of years of debt and now I have no idea what i'm doing to invest so my money just piles up in my savings account. This stuff is overwhelming.

Check out that thread I linked. Most people find that a few hours of reading up on stuff gets them to a basic place where they can feel comfortable and make some decent choices. Sitting in cash means you lose a little of your money every year to inflation. It's better than not saving at all (by a lot) but the basics of long-term investing are not actually all that difficult to understand.

If you can learn the basics of the rules of american football to the point where you know the difference between a tackle and a guard, and can identify an option play vs. a designed run, you are smart enough to learn how to invest for retirement.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
It's international chest day. Who else is hitting the house of gains?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

No Butt Stuff posted:

???

Do most plans that come with an HSA not have a max out of pocket?

The out of pocket max I've seen on plans here in TX for high deductible plans with HSA's is upwards of 12k for family, 6-9k for individual. The HSA falls laughably short of covering said costs.

PPO with low deductibles and out of pocket costs for life.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 1, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

HSA by definition encourage people to avoid the kind of preventative medicine that would lower healthcare costs over the long term. They reward people basically for not using them, or not needing them.

If you're wealthy and you can just weather an emergency than so what.

But the vast majority of American have less than five hundred dollars in their bank account.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/money/2017/01/12/pf/americans-lack-of-savings/index.html

Without the ACA, not only would they not be able to contribute poo poo into a HSA, they'd still be eating it with a high deductible catastrophe plan which again doesn't encourage long term cost deduction.

They are a tool for rich people masquerading as a solution to a problem they make worse.

Basically full expansion of Medicare is the only viable option and those that disagree will be first against the wall.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 1, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Still recovering from elbow scope and just scheduled the other one.

I'm gonna have a bird chest this summer :smith:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I have no idea how to do chest gains except for bench and then some flies.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

No Butt Stuff posted:

I have no idea how to do chest gains except for bench and then some flies.

I think that's really all there is actually.

I will be going to gym today, but not doing chest poo poo because it's DEADLIFT DAY BITCH

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
close your eyes and imagine your pec flexing, the titty bouncing. Now open your eyes, you've built the mind-muscle connection

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

HSA by definition encourage people to avoid the kind of preventative medicine that would lower healthcare costs over the long term. They reward people basically for not using them, or not needing them.

If you're wealthy and you can just weather an emergency than so what.

But the vast majority of American have less than five hundred dollars in their bank account.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/money/2017/01/12/pf/americans-lack-of-savings/index.html

Without the ACA, not only would they not be able to contribute poo poo into a HSA, they'd still be eating it with a high deductible catastrophe plan which again doesn't encourage long term cost deduction.

They are a tool for rich people masquerading as a solution to a problem they make worse.

Basically full expansion of Medicare is the only viable option and those that disagree will be first against the wall.

That's why they're listed as something to do after you've maxxed out your IRA and 401(k) options; if you're making enough money that you're already maxxing those out, you might be making enough that an HSA can make sense for you.

But as a tool for the rich... I mean, yes, but it's minor. The contribution limits are $3,400 for an individual or $6,750 for a family, annually.

Let me tell you about the real tool for the rich: self-employment.

If you have a 401(k), the maximum contribution you can make from your salary is $18,000 per year. But your employer can add to that, and the amount the employer can add has a much higher limit.

If you're self-employed, then you are your own employer. Hey guess what! https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/one-participant-401k-plans

quote:

Contribution limits in a one-participant 401(k) plan

The business owner wears two hats in a 401(k) plan: employee and employer. Contributions can be made to the plan in both capacities. The owner can contribute both:
  • Elective deferrals up to 100% of compensation (“earned income” in the case of a self-employed individual) up to the annual contribution limit:
    $18,000 in 2016 and 2017, or $24,000 in 2016 and 2017 if age 50 or over; plus
  • Employer nonelective contributions up to:
    25% of compensation as defined by the plan, or
    for self-employed individuals, see discussion below
If you’ve exceeded the limit for elective deferrals in your 401(k) plan, find out how to correct this mistake.

Total contributions to a participant’s account, not counting catch-up contributions for those age 50 and over, cannot exceed $54,000 (for 2017; $53,000 for 2016)

So rich people can be self-employed, catergorize all their "work" doing things like trading stocks and buying and selling real estate as business, and potentially sock up to $54,000 a year into tax-advantaged savings. Meanwhile most working-class Americans have no access to a 401(k) and are only able to at best max out an IRA, so no more than $5,500 per person per year. Seems fair, right?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 1, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tragic lack of Robert Frank fans itt

https://youtu.be/0YtSaRl4fkU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

That's why they're listed as something to do after you've maxxed out your IRA and 401(k) options; if you're making enough money that you're already maxxing those out, you might be making enough that an HSA can make sense for you.

But as a tool for the rich... I mean, yes, but it's minor. The contribution limits are $3,400 for an individual or $6,750 for a family, annually.

Yeah but HSA have never been promoted by republicans as what they really are.

They were part of the whole nonsensical heritage foundation idea of creating more "consumer responsibility," so that if you incentivize people they'll need less healthcare and invest their money better.

HW was a huge fan of them;, and John McCain ran on them.

Like why not get rid of HSAs and just increase the max contributions to IRAs? You can already withdrawal from your IRA without a penalty if it's for health costs. And who is maxing out an HSA that isn't maxing out a Roth IRA first?

Also 401k's are loving trash designed to keep people from unionizing and not demand pensions.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I hit chest hard this morning, nothing like the feeling of two giant slabs of meat on your chest after a good session. I think chest and shoulders may be my two favorite muscle groups to work.

:getin:

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Leg Master Race

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

weird Asian candy posted:

I hit chest hard this morning, nothing like the feeling of two giant slabs of meat on your chest after a good session. I think chest and shoulders may be my two favorite muscle groups to work.

:getin:

Legs brah. Quad and hamstring and calf and domination.

The league of squats arises

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bench is an accessory lift

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 1, 2017

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Legs brah. Quad and hamstring and calf and domination.

The league of squats arises

Legs and I have a love/hate relationship. I hate leg day but I love the feeling after when you are trying to brush your teeth and your legs are all wobbly (I workout before work). QUADZILLA!

I legit love working chest and shoulders.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Cardio and leg day is a terrible idea

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah but HSA have never been promoted by republicans as what they really are.

They were part of the whole nonsensical heritage foundation idea of creating more "consumer responsibility," so that if you incentivize people they'll need less healthcare and invest their money better.

HW was a huge fan of them;, and John McCain ran on them.

Like why not get rid of HSAs and just increase the max contributions to IRAs? You can already withdrawal from your IRA without a penalty if it's for health costs. And who is maxing out an HSA that isn't maxing out a Roth IRA first?

Also 401k's are loving trash designed to keep people from unionizing and not demand pensions.

I agree that HSAs didn't need to exist, and we should have single-payer healthcare anyway.

I disagree about the 401(k)s being trash and definitely not related to unions. My brother and stepdad are both in a union that offers a 401(k) in addition to the pension plan. The 401(k) has largely replaced pensions in the US because pension plans create liability on the books for employers, while 401(k)s don't. But that's irrespective of unionization.

The much bigger issue with 401(k)s is the lack of regulation that permits extremely abusive plans. Tons of people have lovely plans with lovely options that are basically designed to extract the earnings on people's retirement savings and give them to investment banks. I'm lucky to work for a large software company full of nerds so I have a very good plan, but the investment thread is full of people coming in and posting their awful plan options. It's still better than not having a plan at all, almost always, because tax advantaged savings is a powerful tool. But... yeah. Not fantastic.

Defined benefit or defined contribution pensions both have their own sets of issues. Social Security remains the best fallback safety net this country has ever come up with for ensuring retirees don't wind up homeless and eating cat food, but if we want to do better for old people's security, I'd say we should A) improve and better fund SS, B) properly regulate the companies offering 401(k) and related plans, C) increase the annual contribution limits on IRAs, and D) cap social security payouts and access to tax-advantaged plans based on income, so that rich people are gradually phased out of eligibility (this is already the case for IRAs although it's done in a confusing way, but everyone gets to claim social security and that's stupid, and honestly the very wealthy do not need their 401(k)s to be tax advantaged either).

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Triangle rear end gym bros skipping leg day.

Shameful

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

Cardio and leg day is a terrible idea

That's why you do heavy bag cardio on leg day GOSH

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

FizFashizzle posted:

Bench is an accessory lift

so you are okay with mccaffery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the mean lunch lady