Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
More people enjoy or don't care if stealth heroes are in the game. That's why they are in the game and Blizzard keeps making them. That is why stealth in multiplayer is a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
The problems with stealth are many, but it'd be nice if they rethought the dumb shimmer and just made the characters slightly translucent, not show up on the minimap and untargetable for regular attacks and targeted abilities instead. It's effectively the same thing at the high end level where players can spot it most of the time and it doesn't punish people with specific graphic settings or at lower tiers of play as much. It also forces all the garbage Novas and Zeratuls and Valeeras in the world to be less garbage. That way they can actually go out there and buff these guys without taking a dump on bronze and silver league play.

I don't think any of the above are overpowered, especially Nova is kinda bad as we were talking about before and Zeratul only really shines in the hands of extremely competent players, but the shimmer is dumb conceptually.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Can we settle this shimmer thing? What are the graphic settings on which shimmer is much harder to spot? It's like an urban legend at this point.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

bamhand posted:

More people enjoy or don't care if stealth heroes are in the game. That's why they are in the game and Blizzard keeps making them. That is why stealth in multiplayer is a good idea.

Clearly Blizzard understands the problem that I put forward, they explicitly stated it in the Valeera nerf patch. They decided to include stealth, and have had to tweak stealth characters in response to complaints. In my opinion it would have been easier and better to just not include it at all. It's impossible to go back in time and see if less people would be playing the game without stealth characters. It IS possible to see the amount of complaints about them and the adjustments Blizzard has made to deal with that.

I don't know if you will acknowledge that it's a matter of opinion whether it's worse to include something controversial and deal with the consequences of that decision, or just avoid the controversy altogether. I think you've got your ego tied up in this. If you really want to discuss something, let's discuss WHY Blizzard decided to go the route they did. I suspect it's simply a legacy mechanic that was included because they thought people would expect it. I wouldn't have been convinced at the time that not including stealth would have lessened the player base.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Tons of people enjoy playing stealth heroes. Nova used to be one of the most notorious "main" heroes where people would have one hero at level 20 and everything else at 5 or less. That's why it's in the game.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

In my opinion it would have been easier and better to just not include it at all. It's impossible to go back in time and see if less people would be playing the game without stealth characters. It IS possible to see the amount of complaints about them and the adjustments Blizzard has made to deal with that.

You could say this about literally any mechanic

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Removing stealth from a hero brawler game with characters known explicitly for their cloak was never gonna happen.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

quote:

Developer Comments: We feel that Valeera needs a small increase in power to help her overall win rate, but are hoping to do so without adding much more burst damage or disabling effects. The changes to her Health and Basic Attack damage should give her a boost, while the changes to Talents, Ambush, and Garrote should create harder decision making for the Rogue. While we were looking at her Health Regeneration, we noticed that it was actually higher than intended (most Heroes take 480 seconds to regenerate their entire Health pool), which is why we reduced it slightly. We’ve increased the duration on Cloak of Shadows so that predicting Abilities is easier to accomplish. We want it to be a rewarding, high skill-cap ability, but with the old tuning it struggled to compete with Smoke Bomb.

I'm not seeing where the devs are saying Stealth was the problem with Valeera. It's the CC and burst

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Removing stealth from a hero brawler game with characters known explicitly for their cloak was never gonna happen.

Yes, unfortunately it's a legacy mechanic as I said.

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

You could say this about literally any mechanic

Not really, because not every mechanic is so controversial.

I'm saying it was in fact a possibility, and it can still be majorly tweaked in ways that a couple posters in the last couple of pages suggested, or other ways.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Remove the shimmer, replace it with a cardboard box.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Gustav posted:

Can we settle this shimmer thing? What are the graphic settings on which shimmer is much harder to spot? It's like an urban legend at this point.

Stealth's shimmer is implemented as a convolution of whatever backdrop the stealthy is being rendered over. That means they're harder to spot whenever they're against a low-contrast surface. Lower graphics settings generally result in lower-contrast ground textures, which makes stealth characters harder to see. But there's also the argument that lower-contrast surfaces make any sort of anomaly stand out against them easier -- and how often is a stealth character going to be standing out in the middle of a lane where there's no wall or other sort of background they can distort? Not very often, so maybe the simpler low quality textures make catching that easier. Who knows?

Pro players generally don't give a poo poo because they play draft modes, and nobody drafts stealth characters in high level games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Remove the shimmer, replace it with a cardboard box.

Really sick of having to base my entire hero selection around a poorly telegraphed, brown cardboard box with legs under it that barely sticks out from the terrain.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Not really, because not every mechanic is so controversial.

You should have been around for Abuthur launch.

Stealth has been around since Alpha. The only time people generally complain about it is when one hero that happens to have stealth is OP. It was Valeera this time. Zeratul and Nova are fine now.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The way to play around stealth characters when strong detection isn't an option is typically more passive which is boring and lame and something games generally try to avoid.

Plus the actual hard counters tend to render stealth characters nearly useless because of how much they sacrifice to have it (see Sombra and Nova). Basically it's debatable whether stealth is worthwhile as a mechanic in the first place, and it definitely needs more thought when it is added than it is typically given.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 1, 2017

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
This is true of non stealth heroes as well. If I don't see Kerrigan in any lane and I'm soloing I'm gonna sit on my gate. Blizzard should probably just remove the concept of ganking from the game.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Pfft scrubs just buy wards and dust. :viggo:

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Please tell me how Stealth is functionally more powerful than Tracer or Genji

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Please tell me how Stealth is functionally more powerful than Tracer or Genji

I don't have a horse in this race but this isn't the main thrust of their argument in the last couple pages, and demanding an answer to a question that is irrelevant to their point isn't really making this incredibly dumb argument any closer to going away.

On a different note, do we have any good guesses on when D.VA's due?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

You don't even need map awareness or shimmervision for dealing with stealth.

Just ask yourself occasionally "If I were an enemy flanker, would it be a good idea to attack my hero right now?" If 'Yes', then move nearer your team and be on guard. Maybe heal up and stop walking around with 60% health. If 'No' then you're fine and if they try to attack you anyway they get blown up. Anticipation solves that whole problem.

I guess it takes a bit of experience to develop that anticipation, but after a while you do pick up a sixth sense of "I'm about to be ambushed" or "They're doing boss" or something.

Honestly, long-range blasters like Chromie and Li-Ming are much more of a problem for bad players. Not only can't you see them coming, they're too far away to retaliate against! But people complain way more about the Valeera that had to duck and weave through three different AOEs only to chunk your health bar and then try to dash away.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

2 SPOOKY posted:

May 4th, probably.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
ITT assassin mains don't want to be careful about positioning.

Flankers and gankers exist, and can be dealt with.

Don't overextend. That means don't sit there solo laning as Valla, auto attacking towers with no enemies on your minimap. While we're at it, watch the minimap. You should be looking at it at least once every six seconds, more often if you're TLV or Abathur or something. If you find yourself not having an idea of where the enemy team is, get somewhere safe immediately, especially if nobody has vision on Valeera or Zeratul.

Stick with your team once you hit 10. If your team isn't playing as a team, you're not losing because you didn't notice a shimmer. Teamwork is a rare thing in QM, especially right now with new people flooding in and jumping into 1v3 as ragnaros while ignoring danger pings and futile pleading with them to move as a group.

Use QM to learn new heroes and their weaknesses (like being squishy and easily murdered by a burst damage assassin jumping out of stealth), and learn how to deal with it instead of bitching on the internet about how stealth should just be removed from the game. It's not going anywhere, it's a part of the game, it's not unbeatable, deal with it.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Li Ming is hella fun and I love erasing enemies from the map at off-the-screen range.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't mind stealth. I used to hate illidan because of his playstyle and the kind of people who play him, but then i discovered how to gently caress him up with johanna. Stealth is no different, just something to be aware of in the game.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Ahahah stealth drones doesn't even do poo poo against Valeera what a piece of gently caress mechanic unreveiable is

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It only lasts what? A second? It's a bit annoying but it's not awful. She would need major buffs if she didn't have the ability, like cloak of shadows baseline or something.

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!
If you're having trouble with stealth, just play Cho'gall.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Li ming's Q is great for revealing stealth because it's like a shotgun.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
This conversation is making me want to go buy Valeera because I already opened a rad demon hunter skin for her

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
But I don't like to play *arbitrary number of heroes who are all really good against stealth assassins*, therefore stealth heroes should be removed from the game.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

2 SPOOKY posted:

I don't have a horse in this race but this isn't the main thrust of their argument in the last couple pages, and demanding an answer to a question that is irrelevant to their point isn't really making this incredibly dumb argument any closer to going away.

Well, at least someone gets it.

I'm not going to try to talk about perception of fairness and avoiding controversy anymore when the only response is irrelevant false equivalencies and "u mad bros"

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 1, 2017

Trade Chat Troll
Jan 22, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Li ming's Q is great for revealing stealth because it's like a shotgun.

So is Disintegrate, sweep that poo poo around like a radar :owned:

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Well, at least someone gets it.

I get it, it's just a nonsense argument. TONS of heroes are hated and "make QM annoying." There is nothing special about stealth heroes that makes them "more annoying." They are functionally identical to any ganker that is playing well.

quote:

I'm not going to try to talk about perception of fairness and avoiding controversy when the only response is irrelevant false equivalencies and "u mad bros"

EVERYTHING is "unfair" to someone. Why isn't the character select screen just Raynor? That would be the MOST fair.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I get it, it's just a nonsense argument. TONS of heroes are hated and "make QM annoying." There is nothing special about stealth heroes that makes them "more annoying." They are functionally identical to any ganker that is playing well.

Yes I know, but they are obviously perceived that way by people trying to pick up the game, and that is a problem. There, I'm done, y'all can go back to whatever.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Everyone who disagrees with my opinion is just a "u mad" memer.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Yes I know, but they are obviously perceived that way by people trying to pick up the game, and that is a problem. There, I'm done, y'all can go back to whatever.

For whatever it's worth, I get you. I -like- stealth heroes and I still understand that whether or not they actually are disproportionately strong, they make things feel sour for many players. I personally feel like a lot of multiplayer games would be better without stealth, but that's a hard sacred cow to slaughter.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
If we want to talk about new player perception, I see a ton of bitching about Morales in QM. That beam that is just constantly healing looks obnoxious to newbies.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Pointing out stealth has a larger than average number of terrible Blizzard forums posters frothing at the mouth doesn't sound particularly controversial. Blizzard balances around angry mobs on the forums in their other games all the time, I can only assume HotS is the same.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

bamhand posted:

But I don't like to play *arbitrary number of heroes who are all really good against stealth assassins*, therefore stealth heroes should be removed from the game.

Sorry if I wanna level up people that aren't tanks/bruisers once in a while

edit:

If we want to talk about new player perception, I see a ton of bitching about Morales in QM. That beam that is just constantly healing looks obnoxious to newbies.

To be fair they are re-working Morales next, no idea if they are changing how the beam works or not though.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Sorry if I wanna level up people that aren't tanks/bruisers once in a while

There are plenty of heroes that aren't tanks or bruisers that are fine against Valeera. You still get XP even if you lose. You can play ranked where stealth heroes are rare. There are so many options available. People who complain sound like they want to play the squishiest heroes in the game every single match and they don't want to ever worry about things like positioning or map awareness or being attacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

To be fair they are re-working Morales next, no idea if they are changing how the beam works or not though.

Wait what they are?

She's my very favorite hero in the game.

:ohdear: