Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

BiohazrD posted:

im the powerpoint with a video that doesnt play

technology that is basically magic failing to demo because you can't play a video properly in PowerPoint is the future we deserve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

hifi posted:

sugoi ui

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

DuckConference posted:

technology that is basically magic

I"m really confused about what makes it "basically magic"

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

DuckConference posted:

okay the new touch tech that will be coming to phones soon is really cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGS11oJUnuA

not looking forward to all of the dumb phone squeezing gestures we'll have to endure tho

do you really expect me to spend an hour and a half watching this

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im one of the silicon valley guys in the video :c00lbert:

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
silly con valley gays

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

silly crappy vworthless guys

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

I"m really confused about what makes it "basically magic"

you glue some cheap piezos to whatever, do some math, and suddenly it's a high-performance touchscreen

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Jim balls silly

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

When did Apple stop push sync for Google Contacts? It seems to be pull only and instead of say Google adding support in Gmail 3rd parties for many years have created apps to do the same thing:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/contacts-sync-for-google-gmail/id451691288?mt=12

This was all working in iOS 9 when Apple and Google added CardDAV, idk.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i dunno, i've had mine set to 1 hour fetch for as long as i can remember since it's not like i'm changing contacts a whole lot

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
my 5x just got stuck in a bootloop which it looks like it will never recover from, yay google! :greenangel:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

take it back to the google store

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Red_Fred posted:

my 5x just got stuck in a bootloop which it looks like it will never recover from, yay google! :greenangel:
what's that old adage about support for android phones after 18 months

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

mishaq posted:

take it back to the google store

Mate, ain't no google stores in NZ.

Also I found that there isn't a usable solution for using Keypass and Google Drive on an iphone, so currently I can't access any of my passwords from my work phone! :stoked:

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Red_Fred posted:

Mate, ain't no google stores
Let me stop you there

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

...there isn't a usable solution for using Keypass and Google Drive on an iphone, so currently I can't access any of my passwords from my work phone! :stoked:

what?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

There is a bug in the minikeypass app (ios keypass app) which means it can't open keypass files from goolge drive which is where I store my keypass file, could move it to dropbox or something but its all more work

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Red_Fred posted:

Also I found that there isn't a usable solution for using Keypass and Google Drive on an iphone, so currently I can't access any of my passwords from my work phone! :stoked:
good new you can export your keepass database to 1password

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Red_Fred posted:

There is a bug in the minikeypass app (ios keypass app) which means it can't open keypass files from goolge drive which is where I store my keypass file, could move it to dropbox or something but its all more work
judging by their github i have deduced two things:
1) this bug is almost two years old
2) renaming the database file from filename.kdbx to filename.kdbx.kdbx is a workaround

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Red_Fred posted:

Try putting it in a ziploc bag and into the freezer

not joking

The problem might be overheat -> shutdown during a system update, where it can't limit its processing speed for some reason

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ShadowHawk posted:

The problem might be overheat -> shutdown during a system update, where it can't limit its processing speed for some reason because of terrible engineering

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

anthonypants posted:

judging by their github i have deduced two things:
1) this bug is almost two years old
2) renaming the database file from filename.kdbx to filename.kdbx.kdbx is a workaround

I tried that second fix and it didn't work but I managed to get it to work by sharing the link to MiniKeePass, assume that means I'll need to do that each time I update the DB.

is 1password better?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ShadowHawk posted:

Try putting it in a ziploc bag and into the freezer

not joking

The problem might be overheat -> shutdown during a system update, where it can't limit its processing speed for some reason

no this is a known problem afflicting all lg phones of the last two years its dead forever

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LastInLine posted:

no this is a known problem afflicting all lg phones of the last two years its dead forever

this reboot cycle really is smooth as butter though.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

lmao just use icloud keychain my dude

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

I tried that second fix and it didn't work but I managed to get it to work by sharing the link to MiniKeePass, assume that means I'll need to do that each time I update the DB.

is 1password better?

have you tried using kypass instead? minikeypass gave me issues, but i haven't had any with kypass.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's weird that everyone blames apple for being guilty of "forced obsolescence" when it's a minor miracle if any android lasts 2 years

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
The difference is the android still "works" it just doesn't get updates. Apple pushes an update that breaks a previously working device.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Literal Garbage

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

The difference is the android still "works" it just doesn't get updates. Apple pushes an update that breaks a previously working device.

a phone rebooting in a freezer, forever, isn't working

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah that's why apple should never have release ios 7 for the 4s

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

qirex posted:

it's weird that everyone blames apple for being guilty of "forced obsolescence" when it's a minor miracle if any android lasts 2 years

phone doesn't ship with a bunch of half working gimmicky hardware features bolted on at the last second = apple's holding those features back to make you buy next year's model

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

yippee cahier posted:

phone doesn't ship with a bunch of half working gimmicky hardware features bolted on at the last second

all iphones are half working gimmicks though?

burning swine
May 26, 2004

all phones are terrible

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the primary computing device used by most of the population is a piece of hardware that the possessor does not control, running proprietary software, communicating to other proprietary software that also runs on hardware that they do not control. this entire rotten pipeline, accountable to nobody, is privy to the deepest darkest secrets of virtually everybody in the western world.

it is a dark loving time not just for computing but humanity in general.

richard stallman was and is absolutely right about everything.

Have a capital letter.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sapozhnik posted:

the primary computing device used by most of the population is a piece of hardware that the possessor does not control, running proprietary software, communicating to other proprietary software that also runs on hardware that they do not control. this entire rotten pipeline, accountable to nobody, is privy to the deepest darkest secrets of virtually everybody in the western world.

yeah just like it's been for literally the entire history of computing, except with less access to secrets as you go further back in time

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

fishmech posted:

yeah just like it's been for literally the entire history of computing, except with less access to secrets as you go further back in time

i make exactly this argument when i explain to people why their stupid phones don't belong in my network and why privacy in the 2010s is largely an illusion and i have yet to reach the end of that sentence without someone asking how to fix it, because they weren't listening and completely missed the point

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

it is a dark loving time not just for computing but humanity in general.

richard stallman was and is absolutely right about everything.

Have a capital letter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the reality of most privacy issues is no one cares about your stupid life except for the money in your pocket

• Locked thread