Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Bogart posted:

Please, give me your strength so I can beat this shoot-em-up.

You did. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

bewilderment posted:

I'm pretty early in the game (just did the second flying segment vs a repeat boss) - how much should I pay attention to buying and upgrading weapons? I played Nier 1 and there I didn't do much besides buy whichever weapon types I liked that were most powerful, and since that game had them upgrade on kills I didn't have to worry about upgrades.

They upgraded with materials in Nier 1. You're thinking of Drakengard 1.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Dabir posted:

They upgraded with materials in Nier 1. You're thinking of Drakengard 1.

Huh, all I know is that I beat most of the game with a big spear I got in desert-land that I liked. It was a loooong time ago.

Either way - how much should I bother? I feel like on one hand I want to buy all the weapons but on the other hand it eats through money when I want to buy memory expansions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bewilderment posted:

I'm pretty early in the game (just did the second flying segment vs a repeat boss) - how much should I pay attention to buying and upgrading weapons? I played Nier 1 and there I didn't do much besides buy whichever weapon types I liked that were most powerful, and since that game had them upgrade on kills I didn't have to worry about upgrades.

Use whatever you like. They all seem pretty equally good (I honestly could barely tell the difference between most of them) and upgrade whenever you have enough mats. Don't be like me and ignore the plug in chips for a long time. I made the late game of route A super hard by not fusing them and equipping good ones.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Huh, all I know is that I beat most of the game with a big spear I got in desert-land that I liked. It was a loooong time ago.

Either way - how much should I bother? I feel like on one hand I want to buy all the weapons but on the other hand it eats through money when I want to buy memory expansions.

Well, you can get along fine with only the starting gear, but weapons still have weapon stories. Gotta love those.

If you need money, there's always fishing.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Do you still get the all endings trophy if the last thing you do is get ending E and erase your data?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just a few thoughts after finishing the main content.

Really cool game overall. I liked how quirky and weird it was. I initially found the combat really shallow, and I guess I still think that but it really grew on me and I was having a blast with it by the end when you have all sorts of options. I hated hacking at first but it actually pairs with combat in a really fun way imo. Great soundtrack and nice art direction.The story and characters were mostly fine, but I can't say I really got all the feels everyone refers to. The story was pretty decent but I wasn't ever super glued to it. The characters were all pretty one note and cheesy. 9S annoyed the poo poo out of me and I thought he was incredibly lame. As far as the gameplay/world design goes. I had a lot of issues with it, but at a certain point I kind of stopped caring and just sat back for the ride. it's not worth detailing every little gripe but I really wish the overworld was bigger and more interesting, the shmup sections were better, and some more enemy variety would have been great.

Still I like how much it marches to the beat of it's own drum. I'm sure it will be a big time cult classic. I might buy that DLC just to whack more stuff with swords if it well received .

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 1, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bad Seafood posted:

Do you still get the all endings trophy if the last thing you do is get ending E and erase your data?

Yes

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nina posted:

When you hack A2 the fourth time it zooms back and you fight within the pause menu

Whaaaaaat

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 1, 2017

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah its a shame that the most unique and cool hacking sections is so easily missed, if you're too high level the only way to see it is to use debug mode and have enemies take no damage, else dies just after 2 to 3 hacks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was cool they saved those for last but part of me wishes they were in the regular rotation to add variety.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'm v happy veni veni veni ended up enjoying the game.

This is probs my fav game of '17 so it fills me with anime butt energy and powers me through the day

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I've been having some weird stuff happen today while I play. Maps are taking ages to load in and...uh Emil's shop is playing at like 1.5x speed

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
At the Ending E. I must have missed something. The pods reference "the six of us," when there's only five, by my count: 2B, 9S, A2, Pods Humpty and Dumpty. Who is the sixth man?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
The sixth is you, the player

Or because there are three pods each

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
You :v:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Shoehead posted:

I've been having some weird stuff happen today while I play. Maps are taking ages to load in and...uh Emil's shop is playing at like 1.5x speed

That's actually normal. The Emil thing, anyway. Means he has even cooler stuff, if you can catch him.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
It's been said several times in this thread, but Speed Star can go right to hell. Any tips for the second and third race outside of Run Speed chips to +20% and Speed Salves?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Just don't make a single mistake.

On the third one, time your airdash so that you don't pancake on the ground.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
The slow time pod program can give you a head start. On the third race, if you do an air dash and then heavy attack with a heavy sword off the building you start on, you'll move diagonally forward and down, which can get you to the ground and running faster.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

S.D. posted:

It's been said several times in this thread, but Speed Star can go right to hell. Any tips for the second and third race outside of Run Speed chips to +20% and Speed Salves?
Use pod-slow for 2 at the start (and possibly near the end). Pick the correct routes - right for 2, left for 3. People have said to use witch-time off enemies on the left route of 3, but its possible without it. Good luck not getting hung up on ground stuff.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

I'm pretty sure it's faster to go straight forward and then jump off of the tree on your right next to the wall

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

S.D. posted:

This is going to sound like some "I heard on the playground" level poo poo, and I read it on Gamefaqs, but it honestly does work: When you charge your pod's special moves, there's a brief bit where time slows down for everything but you. So if you charge, then interrupt the charge (before it starts firing) with a regular shot, then repeat, over and over and over, you will move at normal speed and he'll stutter-fly at two different speeds. I ended up beating the third one (with 20% run speed but no speed salve) when he was about 3/4 of the way done and that was with loving up the alternating L1/R1 timing.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 1, 2017

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Activate self destruct (click both sticks in) while you are falling and you'll fall faster and recover instantly on the ground, allowing you to dash the moment you hit the ground. Doing this got me through the last race the first time I tried this strategy, after having failed it like 10 times.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Speed boost chips kick in once you're running. If you slow the robot at the start, just running with those chips maxed, no dashing, gets you going pretty well. There's also tricks like hacking a faster robot, though, if you want guarantees.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Also, asking again: fuckin unit data man, I know I must be missing rare spawns but I'm also at 91%, did I just not kill stuff at some point in Route A or B that was out of the way? Is there a comprehensive enemy list somewhere in order, even if I have to mash triangle a bunch?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Also, asking again: fuckin unit data man, I know I must be missing rare spawns but I'm also at 91%, did I just not kill stuff at some point in Route A or B that was out of the way? Is there a comprehensive enemy list somewhere in order, even if I have to mash triangle a bunch?

The wiki has an enemies list, organized by type.

Might be of some help.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It just occurred to me when thinking about where Adam came from that the desert robots wanted babies. Of course.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

When did Yoko Taro's mask break and is there a story behind it?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

they had it on a mannequin on stage at TGS and it fell over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2vgRgEds9A

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I like how they probably could've replaced it but Yoko Taro apparently just went "Nah man, just bolt it back together."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So post-E thoughts.

The machines absorbed everything about project Gestalt and Nier and everything else they could find out about humanity and whatever was on the moon server too? (Hm wait so Adam was left out of the loop, oh well)

Doesnt that make the machines the best hope for humanity's return, or at least continuing its legacy?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

lets hang out posted:

they had it on a mannequin on stage at TGS and it fell over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2vgRgEds9A
That's so silly it's perfectly Yoko Taro.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Synthbuttrange posted:

It just occurred to me when thinking about where Adam came from that the desert robots wanted babies. Of course.
...well poo poo. Yes. Yes they did.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Source

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

chiasaur11 posted:

The wiki has an enemies list, organized by type.

Might be of some help.
Was perfect, actually. Pointed out the dude with an EM shield below Masamune, the random medium biped in a single room during the Route A escape, a couple fliers in random chapters I hadn't seen, and that plus the bunny and the secret bosses will push me to 95%. Thanks!

edit: secret boss rules, ending E rules, definitely signed my message "North Korea"

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 2, 2017

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

These are fantastic. Glad that other people caught the Nier 1 reference to Popola busting down a wall when she got drunk.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
beep

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DLC is up for download in the UK and Hong Kong stores on PS4.

Can't speak for any other regions, except that I think the PC version is not up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Can't speak for any other regions, except that I think the PC version is not up.

It is not. Odds are good it'll appear at 10A PST like most of the Steam changeover clocks do unless you tweak it.