Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Trump is basically an etch a sketch so last person playing with him is the ideas we get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Was sugar as big an export as cotton at the time? You could probably spin everything but oil as a cause for the civil war :lol:

How is westward expansion and the slavery issue separate? idgi

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

No love for the Gapes of Wrath? To high brow I guess.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

"You have your opinions and I have mine."

Somebody at work said Trump is a billionaire who is just a regular guy.

why does his simpleton charm work so so much fuuuuck

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Trump is the doobies dog house president

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

Augus posted:

I feel like the oil option is a bit too self-aware

westward expansion is also ~technically~ true since a whole lot of blood was already been shed by pro-slavery terrorists in Kansas and other territories, and the slave states wanted to expand to Central and South America and also the Caribbean.

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Elephanthead posted:

No love for the Gapes of Wrath? To high brow I guess.

Great British Gape-Off.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

This is what they traded for the fuckin budget. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha holy poo poo. The sheer amount of failure is too much. Experiencing failure overload.

Twitter is exploding right now with pissed off repubs bitching about how their president turned out to be a cuck.

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Venom Snake posted:

Trump is the doobies dog house president

Tax cuts piled high.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Nonsense posted:

sugar..with water

Come to think of it how can we be sure that the president isn't a bug wearing a Trump suit

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
woulda passed health care but congress just plum gave out....

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Brother Friendship posted:

Was sugar as big an export as cotton at the time?

Not anymore by the 1850s, but if this was something more nuanced you could totally make an argument that sugar was the primary driver of the plantation system back in the 17th and 18th centuries and thus the progenitor of chattel slavery in the Americas, thus being a root cause of the problem that would eventually cause the southern rebellion.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 1, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
"high risk healthcare pool"
"ok that could gently caress people"
"yeah you're absolutely right!"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ironically their competition is still named Pawn Stars

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Nonsense posted:

Augustus has a quote where he mocks the Roman nobility for talking to the public with fancy words and purposefully uses the simplest language possible to explain his position to the masses.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
HA HA! GORKA RISES AGAIN LIKE THE PHOENIX OVER BUDAPEST!

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/859108706683936769

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Venom Snake posted:

woulda passed health care but congress just plum gave out....

Congress didn't put a line item in the budget for a new vent hood

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

the faithful will say its only until september, so really he came out ahead. that was the spicer spin anyway

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

Trimp

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Trump is basically an etch a sketch so last person playing with him is the ideas we get

u mean whoever twisted his little knob last?

ugh now i feel queasy

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Nonsense posted:

usually that means that the speaker and trump both watch fox news all day

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Except the french realize that le pen would be much worse. Americans thought Trump and Hillary where exactly the same.

What i am saying: us deserved 11/9

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
did the previous thread title actually happen and is there a recording if it did?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Brother Friendship posted:

Was sugar as big an export as cotton at the time? You could probably spin everything but oil as a cause for the civil war :lol:

How is westward expansion and the slavery issue separate? idgi

sugar really only grew in the very deep south, so like maybe it was a thing for florida and parts of georgia but that was pretty much it. sugar was a much bigger deal for the caribbean, which still did use a lot of slave labor and fueled a lot of revolutions in the same general time period, but it's not technically *~american~*

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
hard to overstate how ridiculous Gorka is

quote:

The White House source said Gorka’s role had been reduced to the point of largely doing TV rounds on counterterrorism, "giving White House tours and peeling out in his Mustang," among a few other responsibilities.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

lol @ those answers

remove illusions of fairness, make sure naturalization candidates and hopefully their children are introduced to the concept of the Most Correct Answer, strive to ensure no one gets swayed by a passing "ACTUALLY IT WAS ABOUT STATES' RIGHTS" argument

kinda unironically seems... okay??

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

boethius posted:

Great British Gape-Off.

strictly come gaping

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

quote:

Balch Springs police Chief Jonathan Haber said officers heard gunshots as they were responding to a call of drunken teens about 11 p.m. in the 12300 block of Baron Drive.
Haber said the vehicle Jordan was in backed down the road toward officers "in an aggressive manner."
An officer fired at the vehicle and struck Jordan, who was pronounced dead at a hospital, Balch Springs police said in a written statement.
The officer, who has not been named, has been placed on routine administrative leave. No officers were injured.

Dallas County District Attorney Faith Johnson offered her condolences to Jordan's family and said her office will independently investigate the shooting.
Her office has a "commitment to justice and transparency," she said.
The teen's parents are calling for justice and asking for the officer, who has been placed on routine administrative leave, to be arrested and charged, Merritt said.
He challenged the police account that the vehicle Jordan was riding in was driving aggressively.
It "will not hold water when the facts come out," he said.
Merritt said Jordan and the others in the vehicle were not the teens police had initially been called about and had not been drinking. He said they did not face any charges.

So you murder someone in a car that's aggressively backing up at you and then the driver doesn't get charged with anything in the end?

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
actually, there were numerous causes for the civil war

aside from the obvious schism between abolitionists and anti-abolitionists - economic factors, both domestic and international

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

Somebody said some words around the president's head and so then those words came out of his head later on I wouldn't worry too much about it

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
lmao this gas tax question

what's the difference between when Reps were against raising the gas tax and now?

THE DEMOCRATS!!!

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/Crossbearer1956/status/859109156279779330

https://twitter.com/yourstrulydg/status/859109149816356866

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jose posted:

did the previous thread title actually happen and is there a recording if it did?

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/331349-trump-why-was-there-the-civil-war

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Please link to quote where trump talks about Lincoln it sounds pretty ignorant!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

did someone here say they attended the May Day rally in Louisville?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zas posted:

the faithful will say its only until september, so really he came out ahead. that was the spicer spin anyway

Also that the budget should have been done last year, so really it's Obamas fault and there was literally not a single other thing Trump could have done!

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 364 days!

Nonsense posted:

"i say dumb things and he says dumb things and he's rich and is president now so any day now for me" my brain pieced together as I cracked open my 4th steel reserve tallboy

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

tired winning etc

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Trapezound posted:

remove illusions of fairness, make sure naturalization candidates and hopefully their children are introduced to the concept of the Most Correct Answer, strive to ensure no one gets swayed by a passing "ACTUALLY IT WAS ABOUT STATES' RIGHTS" argument

kinda unironically seems... okay??

i was thinking the 'westward expansion' was a cop-out answer but i think i misread it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok hear me out :

What if Trump is .... good?

• Locked thread