Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

a patagonian cavy posted:

so you are okay with mccaffery

what choice do i have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Man some serious overcompensating ITT

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Man some serious overcompensating ITT

Nonsense

*gets into giant f 250 with truck nuts and drives off*

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I watched the top down video of CMC's bench press and he has the same problem I do: he can't control the negative.

It can mean he just flat out doesn't have the strength or that there's a structural difference in his shoulders that prohibit him from staying in slot.

Like if you want to watch it you can see the barbell hitting a different spot on his chest/sternum every single time. He's really struggling to keep it in a straight line, and then bouncing (cheating) it off his ribs to get it to somewhere his triceps can kick in.

The end result is he doesn't have the strength to get it past the first 10% of the lift, which is obviously where people fail on bench.

Like me personally as I'm squatting or deadlifting I can feel every single muscle group activating. Especially during squats I know how to use different muscle groups if things go bad during a lift, or I can feel something fail (quads engage!)

with bench I have no idea what the gently caress is going on and every time I'm over 200 pounds it's basically jesus taking the wheel.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

go smash some bourgeoisie it's may day

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I'm undercompensating by driving a station wagon and being in below average overall shape. So far, it seems to have worked.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I was reading Donnell Pumphrey's scouting report on NFL.com and there was a part that said "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." I thought of myself in that moment.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I was reading Donnell Pumphrey's scouting report on NFL.com and there was a part that said "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." I thought of myself in that moment.

Sounds like you need to kill videodrome brah

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I think I'm a push when it comes to compensating. I enjoy lifting but I also drive an 05 Corolla with 175K miles on it cuz super gently caress car payments.

It's hard to have road rage in a Corolla though because the horn sounds like the road runner MEEP MEEP. The first time I honked at someone I was so embarrassed that I literally sunk down into my seat.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

weird Asian candy posted:

I think I'm a push when it comes to compensating. I enjoy lifting but I also drive an 05 Corolla with 175K miles on it cuz super gently caress car payments.

It's hard to have road rage in a Corolla though because the horn sounds like the road runner MEEP MEEP. The first time I honked at someone I was so embarrassed that I literally sunk down into my seat.

I am a year away from paying off my 11 Corolla and it only has 46,000 miles. I will have this car forever.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
lol if you dont drive a gas guzzling V8, just lmao

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't have a car :twisted:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I wish to own a smart car completely unironically

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am a year away from paying off my 11 Corolla and it only has 46,000 miles. I will have this car forever.

or until some drunk totals it.

ask me how I know

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's crazy how good Corolla's are. I bought the car with 60k miles on it I think, it's been years so I don't remember but somewhere around there. Anyway, I am HORRIBLE at car maintenance. Like I usually go thousands of miles over on my oil changes, no routine maintenance etc. and the thing just keeps going. Not even an oil leak. I'm sure I just cursed myself though. Not to mention the 35-40MPG are pretty rad and you see them EVERYWHERE so you know those bitches just keep rolling.

Yes, these are the things that excite me at this point in my life.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

or until some drunk totals it.

ask me how I know

You're that drunk, having driven to Mel's car on a mission, NASA diaper wet with anticipation?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Diqnol posted:

NASA diaper wet with anticipation?

Holy lol

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

If you couldn't tell from my posting, I think I'm really smart. I even got a smart car to prove it.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

What a dumb loving scouting report

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It's crazy how good Corolla's are. I bought the car with 60k miles on it I think, it's been years so I don't remember but somewhere around there. Anyway, I am HORRIBLE at car maintenance. Like I usually go thousands of miles over on my oil changes, no routine maintenance etc. and the thing just keeps going. Not even an oil leak. I'm sure I just cursed myself though. Not to mention the 35-40MPG are pretty rad and you see them EVERYWHERE so you know those bitches just keep rolling.

Yes, these are the things that excite me at this point in my life.

If you arent pumped about reliability and reasonable gas mileage you are lame as gently caress

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you arent pumped about reliability and reasonable gas mileage you are lame as gently caress

So you want a Smart car, something that has neither of those things.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Alaois posted:

So you want a Smart car, something that has neither of those things.

Sorry, I can't hear the haters over the sound of pulling straight into a parallel parking spot

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

this poster wants a smart car

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

FizFashizzle posted:

I watched the top down video of CMC's bench press and he has the same problem I do: he can't control the negative.

It can mean he just flat out doesn't have the strength or that there's a structural difference in his shoulders that prohibit him from staying in slot.

Like if you want to watch it you can see the barbell hitting a different spot on his chest/sternum every single time. He's really struggling to keep it in a straight line, and then bouncing (cheating) it off his ribs to get it to somewhere his triceps can kick in.

The end result is he doesn't have the strength to get it past the first 10% of the lift, which is obviously where people fail on bench.

Like me personally as I'm squatting or deadlifting I can feel every single muscle group activating. Especially during squats I know how to use different muscle groups if things go bad during a lift, or I can feel something fail (quads engage!)

with bench I have no idea what the gently caress is going on and every time I'm over 200 pounds it's basically jesus taking the wheel.

squeeze your shoulder blades together and keep your neck flat on the bench!!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I have long arms (is the reason why I tell myself despite lifting 3-5 times a week for the last year I'm still only doing a plate on either side of my bench)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

No Butt Stuff posted:

I have long arms (is the reason why I tell myself despite lifting 3-5 times a week for the last year I'm still only doing a plate on either side of my bench)

yeah it took me literal years of fiddling with routines to find one that consistently built strength. Also remember bodies arent one size fits all. What works for one person might not work for you.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I found that not doing 5/5/5 but 7/5/3 with scaling weight gave me better gains. Mess with your routine until you walk away from your gym session pissed off, that's when you know you did it right.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Smart cars had great mileage when they first came out the comparable cars are actually getting way better and now the trade-off just doesn't seem worth it imo. You're losing a lot of utility for it only marginal gain in fuel efficiency.

Supposedly they're relatively safe in a crash for their size. That is, they won't crumple up, but you may get tossed around like a ping pong ball.

Don't get me wrong, as soon as I'm retired or my daughter is all grown up, I'm going back to having a tiny car. My last one was a Scion XA. Thinking something like a Mini Cooper in the future maybe.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Diqnol posted:

I found that not doing 5/5/5 but 7/5/3 with scaling weight gave me better gains. Mess with your routine until you walk away from your gym session pissed off, that's when you know you did it right.

Yeah I did that for awhile.

The routine that ended up working for me is weird as hell. I do 5 sets of 15 reps on very low weight for two weeks, increase the weight slowly for 4 sets of 15 reps for two weeks, then increase the weight a bit for 3 sets of fifteen reps, then go back up to 5 sets but only 12 reps on slightly more weight, and so on and so on until I hit 3 sets of 5 reps on really heavy weight and then loop back around to 5 sets of 15 on heavier weight than when I started.

Whole thing takes like six months.

Quiet Feet posted:

Smart cars had great mileage when they first came out the comparable cars are actually getting way better and now the trade-off just doesn't seem worth it imo. You're losing a lot of utility for it only marginal gain in fuel efficiency.

Supposedly they're relatively safe in a crash for their size. That is, they won't crumple up, but you may get tossed around like a ping pong ball.

Yeah last time I went car shopping was four or so years ago so I have no idea what good cars are anymore :shrug:

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

No Butt Stuff posted:

holy poo poo, same

It sucks rear end seeing my other lifts get better and seeing bench plateau really early on. I used to blame my shoulder being messed up, but that got fixed and my bench is still poo poo.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I have no idea how to do chest gains except for bench and then some flies.

Cross cables really wreck your pecs, decline bench to shape the lower pec

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Also, I have a Nissan Tita bc ofc I drive a 4x4. Generally ride my MotoGuzzi v7 from April to Oct tho

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Also, I have a Nissan Tita bc ofc I drive a 4x4. Generally ride my MotoGuzzi v7 from April to Oct tho

nice

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

Smart cars had great mileage when they first came out

Not really though. The first Smart car came out in 1998, the Smart City-Coupe, now called the Smart Fourtwo. These cars and their successors all get in the low 30s for gas mileage, typically around 33mpg. There were already, at that time, cars that got high 30s to low 40s MPG, and had more room as well. A 98 honda civic gets 36/44, cost less, had better mileage, can carry five people plus it has a trunk, is safer in an accident, and is still pretty easy to park.

The purpose of the Smart car is as a city car. It's easy to park. That's the attraction. City cars get lovely mileage because of all the stop and go traffic, so it makes little sense to do all the streamlining and stuff that you need to do to get good freeway MPGs to a city car. City cars also don't get driven on long daily commutes, so their mileage ratings just aren't that important. Essentially, the Smart gets decent mileage entirely because it's tiny, and the engineers made zero effort beyond that to improve the mileage because who cares.

If you want a tiny car you can park in a motorcycle spot but which is safer than an actual motorcycle, and if you don't care about overspending for one, a Smart is OK.

Otherwise, you're better off with just about any sub-compact car from anyone else, which will get better mileage, be way more comfortable, be safer in an accident, and tons of them will be a lot cheaper too.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Diqnol posted:

In my opinion don't do this. One of the biggest mistakes people make is constantly changing their routines.

Press is the primary sticking point lift though. Many people believe the key to overcoming them is good accessory work.

Instead of changing up your primary routine every two weeks, stick with the base lifts, but add in some triceps extensions, strict press etc.

Any good power lifting program should have complimentary lifts.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Not really though. The first Smart car came out in 1998, the Smart City-Coupe, now called the Smart Fourtwo. These cars and their successors all get in the low 30s for gas mileage, typically around 33mpg. There were already, at that time, cars that got high 30s to low 40s MPG, and had more room as well. A 98 honda civic gets 36/44, cost less, had better mileage, can carry five people plus it has a trunk, is safer in an accident, and is still pretty easy to park.

The purpose of the Smart car is as a city car. It's easy to park. That's the attraction. City cars get lovely mileage because of all the stop and go traffic, so it makes little sense to do all the streamlining and stuff that you need to do to get good freeway MPGs to a city car. City cars also don't get driven on long daily commutes, so their mileage ratings just aren't that important. Essentially, the Smart gets decent mileage entirely because it's tiny, and the engineers made zero effort beyond that to improve the mileage because who cares.

If you want a tiny car you can park in a motorcycle spot but which is safer than an actual motorcycle, and if you don't care about overspending for one, a Smart is OK.

Otherwise, you're better off with just about any sub-compact car from anyone else, which will get better mileage, be way more comfortable, be safer in an accident, and tons of them will be a lot cheaper too.

Do you know this much random poo poo about everything or is your google game just that strong?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
My wife talked me into getting her an electric car late last year, and it's been pretty rad. Useless if we want to go out of town (that's what my car is for!), but the savings are insane, the power bill has only gone up $3-5 per month, and in exchange we don't need gas for her vehicle. Plus the $7500 tax rebate for the car and $500 credit for the charger were a cherry on top.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

go smash some bourgeoisie it's may day

And despite the bougie as gently caress thing I just posted, I'm en route for the rally downtown, it's a great turnout already and I'm stoked.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What car did you get?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Do you know this much random poo poo about everything or is your google game just that strong?

As a chronic Wikipedia addict, game respects game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hm. I think it's more that I know something about a lot of things, and then I try to quickly check sources while I'm mouthing off about them online so I don't just openly declare a bunch of stuff that's inaccurate.

So, in this case, I knew (due to hanging out in the AI subforum for a decade) that the Smart cars get kind of not actually that great mileage, because we've talked about them before. So then I spent 30 seconds checking sources so I could give hard facts to back up my making GBS threads all over the Smart so I didn't wind up looking like an idiot if I was remembering wrong.

I'd like to think my google-fu is also pretty solid.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

As a chronic Wikipedia addict, game respects game

:respek:

• Locked thread