Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Genghis Cohen posted:

Assault: Roll to run, roll to charge, hope you don't get slaughtered in overwatch, then you can roll the dice in close combat and hope you roll well.

Overwatch is that dangerous as you need sixs to hit with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Genghis Cohen posted:

If, as publicity has claimed for this new edition, lots of feedback has been drawn in from competitive players; if they have genuinely listened to outside opinions on what's wrong with their game and how to improve it; why are they keeping random charges combined with overwatch? Surely most any experienced player would describe these as a huge problem for traditionally 'close combat' armies. I gather that maybe you can run and charge, maybe you move 2D6 even on a fail, maybe casualties are no longer removed from the front of units. All of those changes would redress the balance a bit. But why not take the simplest solution and make the charge phase less of a gift to the shooty-army getting charged and less full of pitfalls for the assaulty-army doing the charging?

It's the same as the old psychic witchfires, which it looks like they did change/simplify - too many rolls where if you fail your maneuver falls flat.

Assault: Roll to run, roll to charge, hope you don't get slaughtered in overwatch, then you can roll the dice in close combat and hope you roll well.

Shooting: roll the dice for shooting and hope you roll well.

Basically this worries me with the idea that previous good-sounding changes to the rules might just have been a broken clock being right twice a day, and the balance and work-ability of the overall product will still be poor.

god willing we can go back to taking casualties from the back like civilized people

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You guys missed that you no longer need to be in base contact. Instead, you need to be 1” away to make into melee. So your charge distance is more like 2D6 +1”. Also it sounds like you can’t multi charge, but you can multi overwatch. I don't mind this mechanic, but if you can run and charge that's crazy. 30k space wolves could do this and turn 1 charges are a real possibility even with 'slow' foot slogging units.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

you only need to come within 1″ of an enemy, which in practice means that compared to the current charge range, you get an extra inch.

Overwatch can also be fired multiple times per phase, but as soon as the unit is engaged, they will no longer be able to fire back.

Huh. That's... different.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Since they've brought in the 1" rule from AOS, I wonder if they're also bringing in the 1-3" ranges for melee weapons? We've not seen melee weapon stats yet iirc.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Melee seems to be the make or break point. Never was a fan of d6 charges an combined with how melee turn order seems to be looking with no initiative stat shooting just seems to be the better option most cases still.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Random charge distance makes me think we're going to stick with random psychic powers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mango Polo posted:

Random charge distance makes me think we're going to stick with random psychic powers.

gently caress I hope not.

But I mean, before 7th we had random charge distance and we didn't have random psychic powers, so I don't know why those have to go hand in hand.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Mango Polo posted:

Psychic Powers and Warlord Traits aren't random in AoS, so here's hoping.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Should've just snatched the Warmachine model of charges being Movement + Flat value. In warmachine it's Movement +3, which sounds about right. If it absolutely desperately needs to be kept random because Warhammer, I guess Movement +d3 could be a thing.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mango Polo posted:

Not really. It's just the same melee system as AoS, which doesn't have random spells. They seem to be picking and choosing as they please so I wouldn't assume this has any weight on any other aspect.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

It will be fine if there are plenty of ways to make it more reliable that are good. It will be bad if there aren't.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

Zark the Damned posted:

Since they've brought in the 1" rule from AOS, I wonder if they're also bringing in the 1-3" ranges for melee weapons? We've not seen melee weapon stats yet iirc.

I hope so. Melee weapon ranges add a lot of depth to unit placement.
Your dreadnaught should be able to punch over a line of space marines.

Mango Polo posted:

They have already said that you can pick or roll, it's your choice, just like in AOS

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

I don't know why anyone would roll a trait rather than pick one with no bonus or anything to it. You could do it for funsies but at the same time why?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

S.J. posted:

It will be fine if there are plenty of ways to make it more reliable that are good. It will be bad if there aren't.

Yeah, that Hornblower rule or some equivalent would be fine. I'm sure fast and/or assault units will have ways to mitigate, just as they do now.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Shout Waaagh to get +2 to your roll.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

For_Great_Justice posted:

I don't know why anyone would roll a trait rather than pick one with no bonus or anything to it. You could do it for funsies but at the same time why?

It's there for people that want to use it

Presenting it as an option sets the precedent that it's a valid way of playing the game and makes it easier to accept than a house rule.

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah, that Hornblower rule or some equivalent would be fine. I'm sure fast and/or assault units will have ways to mitigate, just as they do now.

Here's a quick collection of special rules that units have related to charging in AOS off the top of my head:

-Charge 3D6 up to 18" rather than 2D6 up to 12"
-You can add +1 to charge rolls
-You can add +1 to charge rolls for each enemy unit within 12"
-You charge at least 6", unless you roll higher
-You can charge in your hero phase
-You can charge in the enemy hero phase
-You can move 2D6 in the enemy charge phase (counter-charging!)
-You can run and charge
-You can retreat and charge
-You must charge even if you ran or retreated
-When you charge you can roll 3 dice and pick the top 2
-You can reroll charge distances
-Add 3 to charge rolls if you finish your charge within 1/2" of an enemy HERO or MONSTER

So even though the basic rule is "roll 2d6 and charge within 1" of the enemy" there are tons of ways to modify charges. I expect 40k to be similar

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
As long as a failed charge still means moving, I'll be relatively happy with the change. 2d6 charge distance versus 1d6 run distance means charges will be easier to pull off than avoiding charges once you get within charge range in the first place.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pawl posted:

Here's a quick collection of special rules that units have related to charging in AOS off the top of my head:

-Charge 3D6 up to 18" rather than 2D6 up to 12"
-You can add +1 to charge rolls
-You can add +1 to charge rolls for each enemy unit within 12"
-You charge at least 6", unless you roll higher
-You can charge in your hero phase
-You can charge in the enemy hero phase
-You can move 2D6 in the enemy charge phase (counter-charging!)
-You can run and charge
-You can retreat and charge
-You must charge even if you ran or retreated
-When you charge you can roll 3 dice and pick the top 2
-You can reroll charge distances
-Add 3 to charge rolls if you finish your charge within 1/2" of an enemy HERO or MONSTER

So even though the basic rule is "roll 2d6 and charge within 1" of the enemy" there are tons of ways to modify charges. I expect 40k to be similar

Safety Factor posted:

Exceptions don't fix a bad system.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
It's a bad system because I don't like it

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
As someone who runs a charge heavy Nids army random distance doesn't bother me half as much as overwatch. Maybe it's cause most my stuff gets fleet or has access to it, but any army that can improve the normal over watch process is a real pain that normally wreaks my bugs.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

JesusIsTehCool posted:

As someone who runs a charge heavy Nids army random distance doesn't bother me half as much as overwatch. Maybe it's cause most my stuff gets fleet or has access to it, but any army that can improve the normal over watch process is a real pain that normally wreaks my bugs.

I don't think it will matter as much as you think. The only time this will affect you in the new edition vs. the old is if you declared a charge with one unit, that unit didn't make it, and then you declared a charge with a second unit, leading to two rounds of overwatch fire. Also, you'd still be able to back out of charging at that point.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Get rekt, 2d6 charge is actually thematic and good.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Zark the Damned posted:

Shout Waaagh to get +2 to your roll.

and pretend to ride a mechanical boy

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Strobe posted:

As long as a failed charge still means moving

The only thing that matters to me

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zasze posted:

Could the new marines just be fresh marines directly from the primarchs gene seed rather than 10k year old hand me downs.

I know the night lords were always calling the current eras marines thin bloods for some reason.

This is basically what I was thinking. Sort of like when the AdMech made the Steel Mentors and got in trouble. They created this force (which are wearing the MK III and Tartaros gear) before created the new BigMarines as a guard to protect them in their big ol baby vats, and also to go wreck poo poo when the AdMech need something. It makes sense fluff wise, if Rob is letting them make these new spiffy ones, might as well create some more.

There's actually this Space Marine Chapter generator that cranks out some pretty funny poo poo.

So far my favorite is Doom Cogs. (They're counts-as Iron Hands.)

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
That could be useful for my Deathwatch, I could always use a member of the Regal Barracudas on the team.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pawl posted:

It's a bad system because I don't like it
Just because you like something doesn't mean it's good either. :colbert:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

That could be useful for my Deathwatch, I could always use a member of the Regal Barracudas on the team.

Make sure you include some from the most glorious of chapters, the Space Wasps.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Zuul the Cat posted:

Make sure you include some from the most glorious of chapters, the Space Wasps.

I refuse to believe that the Blood Cats don't already exist :colbert:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Someone needs to do a Blood Cats chapter and include kitten ears on everything. (then pretend you don't secretly love it.)

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I'll be disappointed if the Astral Hippos doesn't make it into the next edition. :colbert:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Here's the basic armor color I'm doing for the Doom Cogs. (That dumb name is never going to fail to make me giggle to myself like an idiot.)

It's Leadbelcher from the rattle can, then 3 coats of Nuln Oil to get that old, dirty metal look.

Next step is a runefang steel highlight. I've already finished up the Tartaros Terminators. I'll post some pics of them tomorrow.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Does joining the chapter require crossing a massive river, descending the steps of knowledge, and assembling the Shrine of the Silver Monkey?

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

You can not like something and also not have bad taste. Just because gw isn't your cup of tea doesn't mean you have bad taste holy poo poo.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

BuffaloChicken posted:

Your podcast rules and I always try to save it for the miserable, tedious drives to/from Jersey City. Makes it so much more pleasant.

FYI I'm in the process of persuading SRM to invite you to my place for a big 8th Edition release party with a bunch of friends. Gonna be three game tables, a half dozen people, probably jumping in a lake and definitely beers. Would be a good place to see a bunch of different army matchups under the new rules for you to discuss on the podcast.

EDIT: team fuckboi here

I'm there. No question. I hope you and your friends like blowing up tanks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zuul the Cat posted:

This is basically what I was thinking. Sort of like when the AdMech made the Steel Mentors and got in trouble. They created this force (which are wearing the MK III and Tartaros gear) before created the new BigMarines as a guard to protect them in their big ol baby vats, and also to go wreck poo poo when the AdMech need something. It makes sense fluff wise, if Rob is letting them make these new spiffy ones, might as well create some more.

There's actually this Space Marine Chapter generator that cranks out some pretty funny poo poo.

Battle Hippos!

Due to a flaw in their gene seed, they're all overweight.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Sex Cannon posted:

we do!

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

The Sex Cannon posted:

Excellent - block off the weekend of June 30th. I play mostly Catachan who are terrible at blowing up tanks, or things in general, but I'm very down to try.

I'll make sure we get in touch through SRM!

EDIT also it's a shame you don't use Facebook because the event is called "8th Edition Pyrovore Welcome Party" with a big veiny pink Pyrovore picture and a bunch of dick references.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

Great, now I have to keep clicking until I get the Thunder Cats. Regal Eagles is the best I have. I also got the Red Corsairs, sounds like a good loyalist legion name for loyalists.

• Locked thread