Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The Air 2 might legit be the best iOS device Apple ever made.

There was something about Apple of that time period, who also gave us the 5S - the best iPhone (5SE is awesome too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bobfather posted:

There was something about Apple of that time period, who also gave us the 5S - the best iPhone (5SE is awesome too).

Huge mistake, I was on a regular update cycle with devices but the 5S and Air 2 have been more than good enough for years now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The 5s is definitely showing its age on iOS 10. The air 2 still runs like a dream.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

tuyop posted:

Huge mistake, I was on a regular update cycle with devices but the 5S and Air 2 have been more than good enough for years now.

I think on Paper the 6 was technically faster than the 5S, but it was pushing more pixels so in a lot of situations it was slower. Nevermind the 6+, which was a pig.

But like Apple does, the 6S and 6S+ are pretty amazing. The 7 is bad.

The Jack Chop Guy
Mar 31, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there any solid info about an upcoming mini 5 (or the fate of the mini line in general)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The 7 actually owns

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The fake button is worse than bad, and it's the first iPhone to keep the same form factor as the 2 iPhones before it. Therefore, bad.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

bobfather posted:

The fake button is worse than bad, and it's the first iPhone to keep the same form factor as the 2 iPhones before it. Therefore, bad.

The fake button is probably my favorite thing about it. I can't stand the real button anymore. Too mushy.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

bobfather posted:

The fake button is just fine and lol who gives a poo poo about the last part? Like I know this is the iPad thread and I shouldn't take the bait but holy lol.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

The fake button is just fine and lol who gives a poo poo about the last part? Like I know this is the iPad thread and I shouldn't take the bait but holy lol.

But how can everyone know I upgraded and using the most expensive version. I feel like Apple really missed the boat not sending an alert message to everyone in range that it IS in fact the Jet Black version with 256GB.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobfather posted:

It's fine and the SE was. Owned.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Where are these Air2 deals that keep getting mentioned, cause I can't find them.

My 32gb Air1 is starting to get small and slow. I'd kind of like the laminated screen of the Air2, but the 2017 iPad still looks like a better deal in 128gb everywhere I've looked.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Endless Mike posted:

The 7 actually owns

God it is so good. The holy trinity of iPhone 7, Airpods and Apple Watch is loving amazing. I would love Airpods regardless, but the fact that they closed the loop on the whole ecosystem is just so good.

The Air 2 might legit be the best iOS device Apple ever made.

Pffft, iPad Pro 12.9 all day.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Taima on point with all of that tbh. I just use SE instead of 7 but everything else checks out.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Taima posted:

Pffft, iPad Pro 12.9 all day.

Definitely the best iOS device until the next big pro drops.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

And I can't loving wait for it. I didn't really believe we'd hit Q2 without that rumored 10.5" Pro.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Kilometers Davis posted:

This is one of the reasons I still haven't updated my iPad Air 1 which is just starting to feel a little long in the tooth sometimes. It feels like the 13" device is due an upgrade sometime soon and I wanna hold out for that.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Kilometers Davis posted:

It makes me wonder how I was cool with the 9.7 for so many years. I love the 12.9 so hard. I just wish some apps would update (wtf Facebook) to support the higher res screen. It's been a year and a half, goddamn.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I am still really pissed that big name apps like Facebook have not updated for the large size pro. It's not like they haven't had time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Honestly the only app/game I wanted to update for the Pro was XCOM and they never did. :rip:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

rio posted:

I am still really pissed that big name apps like Facebook have not updated for the large size pro. It's not like they haven't had time.

They've updated... in file size. Seriously why the gently caress is Facebook 300mbs (don't post the link I know why)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Facebook app took forever to update to iPhone 6 sizes, also, as I recall. They're too busy finding ways to add more ads, I guess.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

They've updated... in file size. Seriously why the gently caress is Facebook 300mbs (don't post the link I know why)

the website works great on mobile safari and has the benefit of saving you 300mb

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The button on my old gen 3 was breaking, so yeah I'd be down for a capactive button

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Honestly I never really even notice the difference now. Unless I am touching the verrrry edge of the home button, the capacitive button feels like a normal home button and I like that it won't break or start feeling different because I have had a couple home buttons get wonky on my over the years.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Just wanted to say I own an iPad Air 1 and work gave me the new iPad (2017). If you were wondering if it's worth upgrading I can safely say no, it's not. Unless you really, really want Touch ID on your ipad.

The new iPad is nice and runs faster than the Air 1 but if I didn't have them side-by-side to compare I wouldn't really notice 99% of the time.

I'm in the UK where the price reduction is like £20 vs the $100 or whatever the US got so it's really not worth it. If you're using an iPad 4 or older then it's a great upgrade but I really would have preferred an Air 3.

Edit: I still can't believe there's still no android tablets that even come close to being an ipad competitor. I wouldn't give up my stock android phone (Nexus 5X atm) but gently caress me the android tablet experience is hot garbage.

hottubrhymemachine fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 25, 2017

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
As of yesterday I no longer can be playing a youtube video in a background tab in safari, has anyone else got this? I think it is something youtube did deliberately. Vimeo vids still work fine in a background tab. If i request desktop version of youtube the video will work fine but its a pain.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

i haven't tested it but protube fills all my youtube needs and can do background audio + pip and no ads

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

African AIDS cum posted:

As of yesterday I no longer can be playing a youtube video in a background tab in safari, has anyone else got this? I think it is something youtube did deliberately. Vimeo vids still work fine in a background tab. If i request desktop version of youtube the video will work fine but its a pain.

I think that's a feature of youtube red so either apple or google/youtube disabled it if you're not a subscriber. It is definitely something they did deliberately.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

I think that's a feature of youtube red so either apple or google/youtube disabled it if you're not a subscriber. It is definitely something they did deliberately.

Those motherfuckers of poo poo. I wonder if apple can disable whatever they are doing.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I bought the "new" iPad (iPad 5th Gen) over the weekend. Coming from an iPad 3, this poo poo rules!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Get ProTube. Seriously. PiP YouTube on iPad.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

e:double post

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Get ProTube. Seriously. PiP YouTube on iPad.

Reviews say it doesn't work well lately have you had any problems

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

i have had no problems, i am using it now on aeroplane wifi

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

Reviews say it doesn't work well lately have you had any problems

I've never had a problem using it for Picture in picture or background playback and I've had it for about three years.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

OGB posted:

I bought the "new" iPad (iPad 5th Gen) over the weekend. Coming from an iPad 3, this poo poo rules!

Got mine on the weekend too, coming from an iPad Mini 1, the difference is night and day. The lack of a premium feel that some reviews commented on really isn't noticeable.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I heard that a change from the YouTube API might gently caress with ProTube too but it works for now and is much better than the official app or using safari.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Ludicro posted:

Got mine on the weekend too, coming from an iPad Mini 1, the difference is night and day. The lack of a premium feel that some reviews commented on really isn't noticeable.

I kinda understand it, in so much as it feels like "just" an iPad and it just functions as a solid tablet.

I haven't used an iPad Pro, but maybe it feels nicer. All I know is, I can browse the web, watch videos, read comics, follow up on Instapaper, all without a stutter and it feels light and rad in-hand.

It's the iPhone SE of iPads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I have a feeling the "premium feel" is tech journalism for "it doesn't have the best specs"