Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone here know anything about BIOTIX? I agreed to run a two-hour slot of it at a con because my friend who organizes poo poo was in a pinch. After I said "Yes" I looked up the BGG page and saw the box art and description and made an audible "uggghh" sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

please knock Mom! posted:

Anyone interested in an in depth review of the dark souls board game? Can't imagine it'll even get close to MK or gloomhaven but maybe there's something specific people wanna know about

Are you asking as someone who has played it and wants to give their opinion? Because yeah, I'd definitely be curious to hear your thoughts.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
It's coming in the mail and I've got three game nights planned due to national holidays. I'll type up something when we have played some.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

please knock Mom! posted:

Anyone interested in an in depth review of the dark souls board game? Can't imagine it'll even get close to MK or gloomhaven but maybe there's something specific people wanna know about

As I eagerly await my copy and think about house rules based on negative reviews, yeah I would love your thoughts. I'm thinking of just starting straight off with the 'double souls/half sparks' developer suggested variant to eliminate bad grind. Tell me all about it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

CaptainRightful posted:

It's not the cheapest solution, but this fits Mage Knight + Lost Legion and will save you about a half hour of set up time.

http://www.thebrokentoken.com/magic-night-organizer/

That's pretty sick, might consider that down the line if I end up playing it enough.

Guess it's off to a crafts store for me :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jedit posted:

Garfield's own essay in the Pocket Players Guide.

Cool. Wasn't doubting it just wanted to hear more about it. Is the book interesting/worth the read?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

T-Bone posted:

Petrichor looks cool. It's a light-medium area control game with an attractive theme/board (you're a cloud!). It seems like it has the potential to have some of the neat (but cutthroat) interaction of classic AC games like El Grande in a tidy package and I'm always on the lookout for weekday games like that. That being said the shipping sucks to the US (I know boohoo) but I'm intrigued.
I've had a chance to play it and it's pretty good. The theme is pretty nicely implemented and the gameplay was pretty solid. I'm not really interested in backing it but I enjoyed my time with it.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Tekopo posted:

I've had a chance to play it and it's pretty good. The theme is pretty nicely implemented and the gameplay was pretty solid. I'm not really interested in backing it but I enjoyed my time with it.

How would you compare it to other games in its space, and is the playtime accurate?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

Cool. Wasn't doubting it just wanted to hear more about it. Is the book interesting/worth the read?

I was given this book years ago and it was really interesting if short. The little tidbits of funny anecdotes were pretty much what made it good. Can't find it now so I can't pull out any quotes. IDK how much I'd pay for it without being given the thing - maybe a few bucks? It's worth more than a typical EV-rated $4 magic pack that's for sure.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lorini posted:

Anyone going to the U.K. Game Expo? I'm seriously considering going.

Yarp. Gonna play some x-wing and wear a costume and suchlike.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

T-Bone posted:

How would you compare it to other games in its space, and is the playtime accurate?
i think it was like 1 hour and a half to finish the game.I don't know how to compare it against other board games of the its type because I don't usually play them: i'm not huge into card-driven euros if the theme doesn't interest me.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

On the same note: how about mats for tiles? I'm basically always playing on surfaces that are quite slippery for them, so I'm always a little nervous I might bonk one and send it spinning off :v:

There's a Kickstarter running for table size neoprene playmats. Playmats are pretty common for card games and are great quality of life enhancements there. I can imagine it would be a great surface for board games.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/794370506/giant-neoprene-gaming-mats-big-viking-mats

It's funded and probably worth checking out.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

thespaceinvader posted:

Yarp. Gonna play some x-wing and wear a costume and suchlike.

Look for an older African American lady with grey hair. I might be wrong, but I don't think there'll be a lot of women who look like that :).

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Are there any general recommendations for organizing tokens/cards/etc or things like that? I'm getting a little worried what with looking to pick up the MK expansion, about having two boxes of stuff to deal with. Plus I backed Gloomhaven sooo anything that might help to organize or make setup/cleanup easier would be awfully nice.

On the same note: how about mats for tiles? I'm basically always playing on surfaces that are quite slippery for them, so I'm always a little nervous I might bonk one and send it spinning off :v:

I picked up these 3x4 plastic baggies and these 4x6 baggies and they have been amazing for organizing the pieces in all of my games. Most smaller decks of cards can fit in the 3x4 bag, which is perfect for having specific bags for player decks or Old One decks in Eldritch Horror. Tokens also mostly fit in the smaller bags, and I use the larger bags for more numerous components or bigger decks of cards.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

werdnam posted:

There's a Kickstarter running for table size neoprene playmats. Playmats are pretty common for card games and are great quality of life enhancements there. I can imagine it would be a great surface for board games.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/794370506/giant-neoprene-gaming-mats-big-viking-mats

It's funded and probably worth checking out.

Hrm yeah. This one has a nylon surface, saw a few on Amazon that had cloth. Dunno what would make for the best surface for keeping cards/tiles in place though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

It's pretty much a relic now. There's 20 pages on the creation of the game, 14 pages on the now abandoned concept of Dominia Prime, a greatly expanded version of the now-obsolete Revised rulebook, some crude deckbuilding advice, and some multiplayer formats. There's also a full checklist for Revised, which may seem dumb now but when the book was published in 1994 there was no real internet and WOTC didn't issue checklists so the sets would be mysterious.

I wouldn't say the book was worth buying, but happily WOTC published the first section for free online as part of the 20th birthday celebrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

If it is this book, then yeah its a good read. I've owned a copy since forever and it was quite helpful in my early Magic playing days:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Taught my 7 year old Dominion today after waiting a few years for her to get old enough.

Afterwards she told me she should have bought more gold and less actions I asked if she understood the game...
"It wasn't even complicated" :monocle: guess I should have broke it out earlier.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

Taught my 7 year old Dominion today after waiting a few years for her to get old enough.

Afterwards she told me she should have bought more gold and less actions I asked if she understood the game...
"It wasn't even complicated" :monocle: guess I should have broke it out earlier.

Your daughter figured out the Village Idiot problem on her first day playing. I'm sorry there are no college scholarships for Dominion, you've got a prodigy on your hands.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

She bought a lot of Militia because she's a scamp and wanted to attack. I just started buying VP early and had plenty to discard. She realised during the game that it was too many and asked how to get rid of them.

She's smart. Been playing games since she was 3-4 Castlepanic and Flashpoint. We've been playing Star Wars Risk which she legit wins 50/50. There's an effort post I have from years ago talking about it. Now she's getting to the point where I can introduce heavier/euro games. I'm pretty happy about how well this went over.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Bombadilillo posted:

She bought a lot of Militia because she's a scamp and wanted to attack. I just started buying VP early and had plenty to discard. She realised during the game that it was too many and asked how to get rid of them.

She's smart. Been playing games since she was 3-4 Castlepanic and Flashpoint. We've been playing Star Wars Risk which she legit wins 50/50. There's an effort post I have from years ago talking about it. Now she's getting to the point where I can introduce heavier/euro games. I'm pretty happy about how well this went over.

My 6 year old plays Sneaky Snacky Squirrel. It's a game where you spin a wheel and take an acorn. It has squirrels.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Harvey Mantaco posted:

My 6 year old plays Sneaky Snacky Squirrel. It's a game where you spin a wheel and take an acorn. It has squirrels.

I have that too. Grandma bought it...We sharpied sad squirrel into another sneaky squirrel :getin:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Harvey Mantaco posted:

While Sneaky Snacky Squirrel might be "fun" Hungry hungry hippos is a far better designed games because hippos and marbles.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Harvey Mantaco posted:

My 6 year old plays Candy Land but his current favorite is Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia. You may be surprised what yours can pick up if it piques their interest.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
So what's the threads consensus on Mechs vs Minions? I like coop games with a timer making me unable to plan everybody's turns (sadly I'm usually guilty of being the alpha gamer). I've already got Space Alert, and looking through the rules MvM seems like a cool blend of Space Alert with Descent style monster smashing. Should I get in on the second wave?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm convinced Fun has a pretty straightforward formula (which is subjective in its application of course :v:)

Game has elements, and:
  • Those elements are ones that make my brain glow happily when I engage in them
  • They make me feel smart when I do them well (but not too easily)
  • Lacks elements that I dislike engaging with (because I suck at them/find them confounding/unrewarding/hard to learn, whatever)

Elements include things like prediction, planning, organizing, randomness, bidding, push your luck, wordplay, visual elements, tactile elements, time pressure, pattern matching, buying or selling, reaction time, dealing with low margin for error, lateral thinking, memorization, etc etc. Just about anything people do that you can represent with colored cardboard, plastic, and wood.

Things you enjoy doing well (but not too easily) and absent elements you find tiresome = probably fun (I say probably because there's always the chance you are gritting your teeth regardless because you're playing with an Inattentive Forgetful HilariRandom AP-ridden Lip-smacking Noisy Eater with Body Odor...)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Mecharasputin posted:

So what's the threads consensus on Mechs vs Minions? I like coop games with a timer making me unable to plan everybody's turns (sadly I'm usually guilty of being the alpha gamer). I've already got Space Alert, and looking through the rules MvM seems like a cool blend of Space Alert with Descent style monster smashing. Should I get in on the second wave?

I got it as a gift and played the intro game. Well written rules, well designed, was accessible and I'd happily play it again.

For some reason never got around to it though. I get a similar vibe from Gloomhaven (co-op, and elements of programmable actions against not random but also but not entirely predictable opposition) even though they are very different games in other respects.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Mister Sinewave posted:

I'm convinced Fun has a pretty straightforward formula (which is subjective in its application of course :v:)

Game has elements, and:
  • Those elements are ones that make my brain glow happily when I engage in them
  • They make me feel smart when I do them well (but not too easily)
  • Lacks elements that I dislike engaging with (because I suck at them/find them confounding/unrewarding/hard to learn, whatever)

Elements include things like prediction, planning, organizing, randomness, bidding, push your luck, wordplay, visual elements, tactile elements, time pressure, pattern matching, buying or selling, reaction time, dealing with low margin for error, lateral thinking, memorization, etc etc. Just about anything people do that you can represent with colored cardboard, plastic, and wood.

Things you enjoy doing well (but not too easily) and absent elements you find tiresome = probably fun (I say probably because there's always the chance you are gritting your teeth regardless because you're playing with an Inattentive Forgetful HilariRandom AP-ridden Lip-smacking Noisy Eater with Body Odor...)

Your missing a big component out of the formula which makes its worthless
  • Spending time with people you like.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Sharing the activity you love with the people you like :yayclod::hf::unsmith:

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

Mecharasputin posted:

The timer only applies for the drafting phase specifically, so it's not going to stop you from quarterbacking by itself. You might not be able to tell them exactly what to do but you can give them general actions like telling them to take a move card if one shows up or tell them which objective to focus on. That said, you only get to draft one or two cards a turn generally so they won't really be able to change their plans to suit you anyway.

The game itself is a solid light co-op, if a bit easy. My group of four got through the whole game without losing any scenarios, though a couple were close. I hear it's a bit harder with less players. We enjoyed it on the whole and will probably go through with some of the difficulty modifiers from the final envelope after we get through some other games. I don't know that I'd compare it to Descent or Space Alert, though. I guess it's got some similarities with Descent in that you have objectives and the enemies are usually more of an obstacle than an actual objective themselves, but the combat in MvM is much simpler. It doesn't really have any of the time pressure or chaos of Space Alert. The timer is more of an anti-AP measure than anything else.

terebikun
May 27, 2016
I am very sorry I called a game fun and I hope with time you will all eventually learn to forgive me

Rutibex posted:

If it is this book, then yeah its a good read. I've owned a copy since forever and it was quite helpful in my early Magic playing days:

I had this book as a kid and loved the poo poo out it. Still think I played a bunch of the game wrong, though.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I'm going to design a boardgame about entertainment at kids parties, the victory points will be custom named: the one who has the most Fun wins!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I played CitOW for the first time yesterday, remind me again why the Horned Rat's bad. He seemed to have fun rushing in places to dominate and score some ruination points.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

It's less about the Horned Rat on more about the new spells for the other Gods I seem to remember.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
The Rat itself is not bad, although it's way less "interactive" than the other gods. It's to be expected, because the 4 OG are in a very tight equilibrium, so touching anything would make the entire system collapse. The Rat player skips 50% of the mechanics of the game and the game plan is to create a mass of annoying rats too though to punch, so you're mostly ignored.

The cards and powers, however, are a bit of a mess. They water down the specialities of the gods (Khorne can try to win via VP, they try to make Tzeentch to go and punch somebody and remove it's ability to run away from fights, etc...). Also, some of the Old World cards are straight "you lose" to some of the gods Tzeentch.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Mister Sinewave posted:

Sharing the activity you love with the people you like :yayclod::hf::unsmith:

:agreed:

which is why I play the majority of my games solo

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Mr. Squishy posted:

I played CitOW for the first time yesterday, remind me again why the Horned Rat's bad. He seemed to have fun rushing in places to dominate and score some ruination points.

The Horned Rat himself is perfectly fine in a 5 player game. If you try to slot him into a 4-player game, you won't have the ruination pressure needed to contest Khorne.

Everything else about the expansion is broken. The alternate "Morrslieb" cards for the four main gods are wildly unbalanced. Additionally, the new Old Word Event cards are swingy as gently caress. Tzeentch can just randomly lose the game to one event, for example. Stick them in a ziplock and forget.

*There's a revised copy of "The Horned One's Due" (I think that's the name) which swaps out for the card of the same name in the base set. The revised card prevents some overpowered interactions with the Horned Rat.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

:agreed:

which is why I play the majority of my games solo

What's wrong with playing Mage Knight solo? It's gaming with somebody I love :shrug:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The Dark Souls board game should've been a deck builder with each reshuffle representing you getting killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I have been a late board gaming convert who was shown the light at age 35. I have a very light pen& paper (Shadowrun and D&D back when 3rd edition cam out) background and was mostly a PC gamer. However, I find "Dungeon Crawlers" offer the ideal compromise between a fully fledged pen&paper RPG and a normal working life with friends who have kids. We tried to resurrect our Shadowrun group a while ago but it didn't work because it is such a time consuming activity. With dungeon crawlers, the story is set and much quicker to play but you still get the coop factor.

I was looking at Descent and Imperial Assault but the mass of expansions and the "important enemies cost extra if you want a mini instead of a cardboard standee" scheme sort of feels wrong. So I kickstarted Gloomhaven 2nd edition.
I loved what I saw in the reviews and rule explanation videos (especially that there is no dice rolling) and can only hope my old shadowrun group will like it as well. Just in case I will also order removable stickers so I can play with my GF and reset the game when necessary.