Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

HoboMan posted:

when will people learn? being permissive about having your language forcing you to make sure all your i's are dotted and t's crossed actually makes a language harder by introducing 1,000 more edge cases to get cut on, this kills the developer

this is seriously why I kind of like VHDL a bit more than Verilog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

xml should have looked more like html

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

how do you figure?

msie refused to recognize Content-Type: application/xml+html as anything it should attempt to render, and if you sent XHTML as text/html then it would just parse XHTML as if it were regular HTML4. The browser which, at the time, had a virtually absolute monopoly did not recognize XHTML in any way.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

eschaton posted:

this is seriously why I kind of like VHDL a bit more than Verilog

both are insanely bad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

msie refused to recognize Content-Type: application/xml+html as anything it should attempt to render, and if you sent XHTML as text/html then it would just parse XHTML as if it were regular HTML4. The browser which, at the time, had a virtually absolute monopoly did not recognize XHTML in any way.

worked fine in my browser.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

both are insanely bad

at least VHDL has a pretty firm separation between interface and implementation

I'd prefer something higher level that generates VHDL though and find Cλash pretty cool

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Shaggar posted:

worked fine in my browser.

ie9 was (iirc) the first version of ie to properly support xhtml, but by then the standard was pretty much dead and buried

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Shaggar posted:

html5 abandoned legacy stuff the same way so there was no reason to not make html5 xml aside from web "developers" being garbage at everything.

what legacy stuff did html5 abandon?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pokeyman posted:

blink tag :rip:

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
You can just write XHTML right now, it'll render fine. I don't see what the problem is.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

pokeyman posted:

blink tags :rip:

efb

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:owned:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Marquee too. What savages

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Doom Mathematic posted:

You can just write XHTML right now, it'll render fine. I don't see what the problem is.

The problem is everyone who doesn't write xhtml and doesn't use closing tags, etc. because html5 "allows" it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pokeyman posted:

it abandoned browsers that didn't support html5. same as moving to xhtml 5 would have abandoned browsers that didn't support xhtml 5.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

eschaton posted:

at least VHDL has a pretty firm separation between interface and implementation

I'd prefer something higher level that generates VHDL though and find Cλash pretty cool

in practice (in my experience) this has just meant writing everything twice (or 3 times) with no practical gain

im hugely in favor of replacement languages and have looked at clash & chisel (among others) and have found basically every extant option lacking. there's this weird desire to shoehorn an existing language into a synthesizable pipeline but it just doesn't make much sense. loads of verilog and vhdl's problems stem from them being simulation languages that happen to support synthesis. making some arbitrary subset of haskell or scala or python or whatever synthesizable still leaves you with a language full of unsynthesizable constructs to trap people with. idk why there's been little progress in a ground-up design of a synthesizable language. everyone's scrambling to synthesize existing programming languages and it mostly is really bad. poo poo i saw a guy on twitter who wants to make a synthesizable javascript like what the gently caress

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bloody posted:

synthesizable javascript

i'a i'a f'tagn f'tagn i say as spiders begin crawling out from under my eyelids

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Mondays are great because the software team here usually has a longer meeting discussing the upcoming week and longer term goals. Today we spent the better part of an hour this morning bikeshedding about how to re-architect/improve the software architecture for a new hardware platform we're trying to roll out by around July.

I'm pretty sure nothing actually got decided, but it pretty much devolved into the two fattest and loudest coders on the team mostly agreeing but yelling at each other because neither had any good, actual thought-out ideas about how to improve anything, just that 'IT MUST BE IMPROVED/CHANGED AND HERE IS WHY.'

Meanwhile the actual thing on the agenda (what exactly to do about supporting same features with different hardware) was never really discussed. I'm pretty sure it will just wind up being hacked together to 'get a demo working' and nothing will ever be systematically improved unless somebody just goes ahead and does it without ever bringing it up in a meeting.

But in the end this meant that we all did nothing productive at all before lunch hour, so I'm OK with it.

Also

quote:

synthesizable javascript

Sometimes node.js just doesn't bring you close enough to the metal.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

so, being a filthy webdev who is as far away from all this as possible i just want to clarify: when you talk about synthesis you mean taking some code and turning it into XOR gates or whatever?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Finster Dexter posted:

The problem is everyone who doesn't write xhtml and doesn't use closing tags, etc. because html5 "allows" it.

this is google's fault

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HoboMan posted:

so, being a filthy webdev who is as far away from all this as possible i just want to clarify: when you talk about synthesis you mean taking some code and turning it into XOR gates or whatever?

yes, think of it as compiling

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Shaggar posted:

it abandoned browsers that didn't support html5. same as moving to xhtml 5 would have abandoned browsers that didn't support xhtml 5.

what browsers? how were they "abandoned"?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Well i got mame's super serial card emulation talking back and forth to putty via a C program so that's good

now I just need my drat serial cable to get here so I can do it with my real crapple

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Doom Mathematic posted:

even the cited problem wasn't really a "problem" as far as I understand it: Internet Explorer would render XHTML as a web page just fine, what it didn't do was render it as a web page when sent with a MIME Content-Type of application/xml+html.

(and of course no browser did what they were supposed to do with XHTML, and refuse to render if it was syntactically invalid.)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pokeyman posted:

what browsers? how were they "abandoned"?

older versions of browsers that didn't support html5

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Finster Dexter posted:

html5 allows and specifies it because people are gonna write it anyways

and really, why do you give a poo poo what hosed up html other people write if your browser renders it fine

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Shaggar posted:

pretty sure that's not true. if you specify <!DOCTYPE html> and the browser doesn't understand that type it falls back on whatever its default doctype is which is probably 4.01.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah but all the html5 features wont work

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
html is dogshit but any "developer" who doesn't close their tags or use /> should be stuffed into a cannon and fired into a loving brick wall

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Bloody posted:

making some arbitrary subset of haskell or scala or python or whatever synthesizable still leaves you with a language full of unsynthesizable constructs to trap people with. idk why there's been little progress in a ground-up design of a synthesizable language.

I'm not sure but the system developed by Symbolics for their chip development in the 80s may have been targeted at synthesis rather than simulation. I'll see if I can find any details. it grew out of their custom electrical and electronic design system, NS, which was built around schematic capture, as well as their custom PAL/GAL tools

look at all those goddamn PALs and 4MW (24MB) of ZIP-packaged RAM

and here's an additional 4MW of 48-bit RAM

(this system was a new design that came out in 1989, they should have used loving SIMMS and made the CPU & RAM boards double-width…)

all the I/O (1152×900 display, keyboard/mouse, serial, Ethernet, ESDI, SCSI) is on yet another board almost as dense as these two, also packed with PALs, connected via both VME and a local bus

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
why is 4mw 24mb, google searches for "4mw" brings up call of duty

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

because 24MB / 4M = whatever the word size is

qed!!!!!!!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

html is dogshit but any "developer" who doesn't close their tags or use /> should be stuffed into a cannon and fired into a loving brick wall

theres no reason for it to be optional.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Shaggar posted:

so your complaint is that html5 added things that didn't magically retroactively work on old versions of browsers?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anthonypants posted:

why is 4mw 24mb, google searches for "4mw" brings up call of duty

implies 6 bit words. 6 bit characters were popular for a while but i thought the word lengths were usually 12bit?

edit: of course by "a while" i mean 50s-80s

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 2, 2017

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pokeyman posted:

so your complaint is that html5 added things that didn't magically retroactively work on old versions of browsers?

no my complaint is that xml is better than html in every single way and there was no reason for html5 to not be xml based.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Shaggar posted:

no my complaint is that xml is better than html in every single way and there was no reason for html5 to not be xml based.

except like 2 decades of legacy support

and now we're back to where we started

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lutha Mahtin posted:

because 24MB / 4M = whatever the word size is

qed!!!!!!!

hobbesmaster posted:

implies 6 bit words. 6 bit characters were popular for a while but i thought the word lengths were usually 12bit?

edit: of course by "a while" i mean 50s-80s
ohhhhh words, i was wondering how in the world wattage applied to memory chips in a special way

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

except like 2 decades of legacy support

and now we're back to where we started

what are you talking about. theres no legacy support lost by using xml any more than there is from using html5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

eschaton posted:

(and of course no browser did what they were supposed to do with XHTML, and refuse to render if it was syntactically invalid.)

a bunch of browsers did if you actually served it as xhtml to them

• Locked thread