Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Mads was so good as Hannibal, i've occasionally been at odds with whether or not his take on the character is better than Hopkins' take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I enjoyed American Gods but I didn't love it. I think? I'm not quite sure what I think of it, which was my immediate reaction to the book too. I'm interested and I enjoyed myself. The tone was all over the place and I could never quite decide if I liked or hated the look of it. But again, that fits the tone of the original and I think it's how you probably have to adapt it. So I'm in.

McShane was great, Wittle was good, and I really like the "Coming to America..." thing. I'm just secretly dreading Kristin Chenowith because I've hated everything I've seen her in.

And I'm probably avoiding the thread because it seems like it's gonna be a lot of really intense book fans and all that comes with that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

Mads was so good as Hannibal, I've occasionally been at odds with whether or not his take on the character is better than Hopkins' take.

I like Mads better, but it's important to realize that they are written differently as well. They are different versions of the character, not just different performances. Mikkelsen also has many times the amount of screentime as Hopkins. If the writing weren't good, this wouldn't be a plus, but since it is, it means that there's just a lot more time spent developing the character.

It's apples and oranges.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Snak posted:

I like Mads better, but it's important to realize that they are written differently as well. They are different versions of the character, not just different performances. Mikkelsen also has many times the amount of screentime as Hopkins. If the writing weren't good, this wouldn't be a plus, but since it is, it means that there's just a lot more time spent developing the character.

It's apples and oranges.

Definitely. They're both fantastic in their own rights. I just really, really enjoyed Fuller's whole "Hannibal is evil personified" version.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

Definitely. They're both fantastic in their own rights. I just really, really enjoyed Fuller's whole "Hannibal is evil personified" version.

It's funny you say that, because that's not how I view him at all.

He's more of an apex predator than anything. Hannibal:humans::cats:mice

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Snak posted:

It's funny you say that, because that's not how I view him at all.

He's more of an apex predator than anything. Hannibal:humans::cats:mice

Maybe, but cats chase and eat mice. Whereas Hannibal befriended the mice and then turned into a spider, trapped them in his web, and then methodically destroyed them with prolonged psychological abuse before actually murdering them and eating them.

And he enjoyed it, too. It's not just that he's a serial killer. He took immense sociopathic pride in his work, much like the Hopkins version. But unlike Hopkins, Mads came off like a T-1000 version of the character at times.

Scene 1: "Have you seen this boy? *shows photo of John Connor to some teens at the mall* No? Sorry. Thank you for your time."

Scene 2: *knives everywhere; fast running (feat. million yard stare)*

The T-1000 was a robotic killing machine, but it could be polite and even charming if the situation called for it. Both Mads and Hopkins are good, but i'm a hell of a lot more afraid of Mads' Lecter.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 1, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Cats play with their food.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

I think American Gods is more or less Gaiman's worst novel, though I wouldn't go so far as to say it's actively bad. It's no worse than a mid-tier King novel, for example. Its worst problems are with pacing and tone, which are both all over the loving map, and the show is starting out in a similar way, except the kooky tonal shifts work better in a trippy visual medium.

I think Gaiman's short story collections are generally better than his novels. I prefer stuff like "A Study In Emerald" or to American Gods or Anansi Boys (though I liked both of those books). Neverwhere is very good on its own, though; it's probably his best novel.

Would rather read Kim Newman, though. Shame that none of his stuff has ever managed to get adapted.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Ocean at the End of the Lane renewed my faith in long-form Gaiman. It didn't have any of the pacing issues that have plagued pretty much all his stories. Though yeah at the end of the day I don't really think he's written anything bad per se. If nothing else his characters always have style.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I didn't much care for American Gods. I didn't really have that high of expectations either because even with good creators and cast it's still drawing on source material that I really didn't like at all. I just kind of hoped for the people behind it to make something more of it and the first episode didn't really give me much except lots of style and very little substance.

X-O fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 1, 2017

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
So I waited until 3 years after it aired to watch PSYCH's final season and...oooo that was not good. Roday and Hill still have fantastic chemistry, but creatively - such as it is - that show had nothing to do after like Season 5. Given they ended on Season 8 that's a lot of C-grade material. At least 1 or 2 episodes a season were great though, so there was that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

I didn't much care for American Gods. I didn't really have that high of expectations either because even with good creators and cast it's still drawing on source material that I really didn't like at all. I just kind of hoped for the people behind it to make something more of it and the first episode didn't really give me much except lots of style and very little substance.

Kind of the same? Ian McShane is great and can do a lot to save a show (Kings) though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm just secretly dreading Kristin Chenowith because I've hated everything I've seen her in.

This is the craziest thing I've ever read

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think everyone needs to see this, perhaps the newest pinnacle of subtle, well done, product placement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8T2kZ8f6BA

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

At first I thought that just a really weird commercial and not a clip from a TV show I don't watch.

DrVenkman posted:

So I waited until 3 years after it aired to watch PSYCH's final season and...oooo that was not good. Roday and Hill still have fantastic chemistry, but creatively - such as it is - that show had nothing to do after like Season 5. Given they ended on Season 8 that's a lot of C-grade material. At least 1 or 2 episodes a season were great though, so there was that.

Yeah, Psych didn't end great, probably had a lot to do with some of the actors trying to do their own shows. The whole thing with Shawn and Jules was a prolonged trainwreck.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

IRQ posted:

I think everyone needs to see this, perhaps the newest pinnacle of subtle, well done, product placement:

Does anyone remember this one particularly memorable product placement for a phone app; I can't remember its name or what show it was in, but it involved the show grinding to a halt so that one main character could explain to another how the app worked for like a minute. I think it was for renting/buying cars? Or possibly renting/buying houses.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Probably Hawaii 5-0.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Argue posted:

Does anyone remember this one particularly memorable product placement for a phone app; I can't remember its name or what show it was in, but it involved the show grinding to a halt so that one main character could explain to another how the app worked for like a minute. I think it was for renting/buying cars? Or possibly renting/buying houses.

Royal Pains? Or some USA network show. I think the app was for buying / selling used cars.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

At first I thought that just a really weird commercial and not a clip from a TV show I don't watch.

Nobody should watch it, it's a garbage fire. I keep watching it out of a curiosity to see how dumb it can get.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Royal Pains for Auto Trader I think.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Argue posted:

Yeah, that one was the Royal Pains AutoTrader one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFIrmOAMqxg

Mu Zeta posted:

Probably Hawaii 5-0.

Hawaii Five-O did the Subway one. Well, that and the constant product placement for Windows Phones and that Microsoft Surface Table that nobody ever used in real life.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 1, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ford always seems to have the worst, most obvious, product placements. There's a scene in last season of Sleepy Hollow where someone had to use the cameras on the car to traverse a narrow mountain pass. The ones in Fringe were pretty bad too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

raditts posted:

Hawaii Five-O did the Subway one. Well, that and the constant product placement for Windows Phones and that Microsoft Surface Table that nobody ever used in real life.

Bing it

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Argue posted:

Burn Notice did multiple OnStar advertisements (usually in the process of stealing cars)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

Ford always seems to have the worst, most obvious, product placements.

It got gradually more ridiculous in each season of 24.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
White Collar had some obnoxious ad placement too. For Ford cars and their features, I think. Burn Notice also casually threw out this annoying poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There's a scene in the new X-Files series which exists only to show an automatic breaking feature of the car they're driving.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

raditts posted:

This is the craziest thing I've ever read

Yeah, I know. Like everyone absolutely is one way about it and I just can't stand her. No accounting for taste, I suppose.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

I like how the characters themselves seem annoyed by having to do the product placement.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

That's some quality product placement. Second only to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d36wUmJGzvA

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Burn Notice also casually threw out this annoying poo poo.

I'm 100% fine with this kind of product placement and would take it 100 times over real commercial breaks. Sure it's over the top and obvious, but it makes sense in the context of the show.

TV execs gotta get more and more creative with their advertising with streaming picking up so much. And I'd rather the occasional Uber reference in a TV show to no TV show.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Detroiters season finale had way too much product placement, but when it's a show about a bush-league ad agency, that's to be expected. Also the imitation of the average Detroit-based commercial was spot-on.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Burn Notice product placement was obvious but like they had fun with it by just making it part of Michael's thing and I think it worked. He was always giving those kind of "tips" so it fit.

But Chuck still takes the cake by just embracing the hell out of it and making Subway essentially part of the cast. I'm actually genuinely shocked they just didn't have Sarah work in a CIA front Subway.

I actually don't notice much product placement and I think its weird when people get freaked out that a character asked for a "Budweiser" instead of a "beer." Its just when they get sloppy and lazy about the subsequent ads that its a little obnoxious. But even then its rarely more than eye roll for me.

But also, most of the really egregious examples I've seen are from shows I don't watch for a lot of reasons.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bones, when they spent an entire episode trying to get tickets for Avatar.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

I actually don't notice much product placement and I think its weird when people get freaked out that a character asked for a "Budweiser" instead of a "beer." Its just when they get sloppy and lazy about the subsequent ads that its a little obnoxious. But even then its rarely more than eye roll for me.

But also, most of the really egregious examples I've seen are from shows I don't watch for a lot of reasons.

I don't get freaked out about it, I usually just find it hilarious.

Like when I saw Fate of the Furious yesterday and they lovingly lingered on a can of coke for far too long, in Cuba, a country where you cannot buy coke. I find that unbelievably funny.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do they not have Mexican coke?

http://www.foodpolitics.com/2015/06/yes-you-can-buy-coke-and-pepsi-in-cuba/

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 1, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There was a Modern Family episode that took place entirely on skype, which I assume was a purchase made by skype or a demand of the ABC subsidiary that owns a big stake in skype.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

IRQ posted:

Like when I saw Fate of the Furious yesterday and they lovingly lingered on a can of coke for far too long, in Cuba, a country where you cannot buy coke. I find that unbelievably funny.

That was definitely the most unrealistic part of that movie.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I always liked this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNvXoohLEMQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

There was a Modern Family episode that took place entirely on skype, which I assume was a purchase made by skype or a demand of the ABC subsidiary that owns a big stake in skype.
Microsoft famously owns Skype.

It was native advertising for Skype.

• Locked thread